PDA

View Full Version : When buying a blade.....

Hamley
-28th February 2004, 19:05
When buying a epee blade should you spend the extra bucks to get a Maraging blade, evan though you dont do anything that requires FIE blade. And in that case should you spend the extra extra money to buy a BF blue blade....

Noah

Petch66
-28th February 2004, 19:41
I've just bought a bf blue blade and it IS a real improvment over any other blade i've used. Pity bout the price like...

neevel
-29th February 2004, 04:58
If you're at all more than an occasional fencer, yes. Maraging foil and epee blades are significantly more durable than carbon-steel blades, enough so that it'll more than pay for the higher purchase price.

As for whether you spend for a BF blue, that's really matter of what you prefer in term of balance, flexibility, and feel.

-Dave

Australian
-29th February 2004, 09:04
hurts even more when they break tho (albiet they do last much longer)

Rdb811
-29th February 2004, 16:38
Well worth the money - if you want the point to be in the same place every time - I wouldn't buy a non maraging blade.

DrT
-4th March 2004, 12:09
I've got a maraging BF (blue) and a cheaper non-maraging (not sure of the forge).

I won't be buying another non-maraging blade in a hurry.

gbm
-5th March 2004, 21:56
Good as a spare, though, if you can't afford to keep two maraging swords going at once.

uk_45
-7th March 2004, 17:31
yeah and sabre maraging blades are very nice too. very nice indeed!

Hamley
-7th March 2004, 21:48
Guess im going to be buying a maraging, and non maraging.

Guess i talk to my coach and say i want a maraging from ulmahn and he get be the best one for me.

Noah

gbm
-7th March 2004, 21:58
One of my clubs got some PBT maraging sabre blades the other day - they were coated in some sort of blackness like the tangs of some LP weapons. It looked cool see this black sword being waved around (I don't do that hitting flat business myself).

PKT
-15th March 2004, 04:51
Originally posted by uk_45
yeah and sabre maraging blades are very nice too. very nice indeed!

i wouldn't touch a maraging sabre blade. Poor electricity conductivity. that's the major reason the FIE dropped the requirement of maraging blades for sabre.

maraging blades work for foil and epee but not sabre: they have wires. in sabre the blade IS the wire.

anyone who has fenced with a maraging sabre blade when it was combined with the capteur/sensor will tell you what a fiasco it was.

if you decide to use a PiL, you have to shake the blade to put the mercury blob, or whatever it is in the sensor, in action... then the conductivity, or lack thereof, of the maraging blade just added to the problem.

no siree, unless someone tells my otherwise, i'll only use maraging sabre blades if they pay me to use them.

==)------------------

i'll bet you the coating on the LP maraging sabre blade is to help with the conductivity...

pk

gbm
-15th March 2004, 10:05
In foil the blade is used as well (though not for actual hits)...

gbm
-15th March 2004, 15:08
And I haven't noted any higher resistance with my new Golubitsky Pro :grin: over my old Paul France...
Possibly it is harder to make a contact? One of my fencing clubs recently bought some PBT maraging sabres that were slightly blackened. I haven't previously thought as to how that would affect conductivity...

neevel
-15th March 2004, 17:59
Originally posted by PKT
i wouldn't touch a maraging sabre blade. Poor electricity conductivity. that's the major reason the FIE dropped the requirement of maraging blades for sabre.

I don't know where you're getting that from (and we're still a couple weeks away from April 1 :)). In foils, the blade is part of the weapon circuit, and the B-C resistance of my personal foils (which have maraging blades) is no difference from the B-C resistance of my club foils which use carbon steel blades- both typically under 1 ohm.

Similarly, there is no difference in the resistance of maraging and carbon steel epee blades, measured between the blade and the C-terminal of the socket. It's necessary for both foil and epee blades to conduct so that touches on the weapon don't register.

-Dave

uk_45
-15th March 2004, 19:04
I have a maraging sabre and the conductivity of it is better than any of my other blades it is a very very very nice blade all round cant fault it at all!

PKT
-16th March 2004, 18:42
maybe my opinion was distorted by the combination of maraging sabre blade and the sensor...

but if maraging blade is NOT required by the FIE for tournaments, and if the blades snap at the juncture of the forte and the tang - can someone tell me if the maraging blades have THAT problem too - then why go to the extra expense?

pk

uk_45
-16th March 2004, 21:38
That problem comes from over tightening the pommel! and so i would assume it may happen too yes!