PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham International

Australian
-29th February 2004, 13:36
Who here is going?

is anyone staying at the official accomodation... cos i won't have a car to get to the venue from the accomodation so i'm hoping i can get a ride off someone here :)

or if there are any closer places?

DonnCarnage
-29th February 2004, 16:49
I don't Really Care about your accomodation

Edit: this was posted by my younger brother..not me

PM1
-29th February 2004, 18:04
so I would hope, Donn Carnage, so I would hope...

Planning to come down so long as we are back from Bulgaria, as we look like making a family holiday out of it......yippee!! I'll pm you when I know what we are doing for def, Dave.:grin:

Boo Boo
-29th February 2004, 19:53
Will (both) be there on the Saturday. We wont be staying overnight though (will drive up that morning and back that night).

Will keep my eyes open for you (once I have woken up and opened my eyes, that is!).

Boo

tigger
-29th February 2004, 20:35
Will be there saturday with the Truro posse...

Rdb811
-29th February 2004, 21:32
Should be fit (ish) by then - depends if my friend can put me up.

Travel tip - the Marylebone line has nice trains and scenery and is cheap (as cheap as Silverlink). The station it gets into in Brum is within walking distance of New Street for the Universirty service.

bufc99
-1st March 2004, 14:38
Just for those of you that have never been to birmignahm before or don't know the area that well.

The accomodation listed on the website is about half way down Broad Street. From there it is about a 5-10min walk to Fiveways trainstation then get a train to University (a few minutes away). Turn left out of Uni station and follow the road around then you will see the Munrow sports centre on the left which is where teh bulk of the competition will be happening.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be there or not as I could be at home in suffolk working, but if I am then I can probabaly put a couple fo people up at mine as long as you have sleeping bags. Will post with wether or not I'm going to be there when I know.

Gav
-1st March 2004, 14:44
I'll be down. Looking forward to it - usually a good laugh. Look for me with the rest of the boring Epeeists on Sunday.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th March 2004, 22:03
Looking forard to seeing you all at Birmingham. I get back on the Friday from Bulgaria dn should be there lunch time on the Saturday. Am staying for both days.

Keith

bufc99
-15th March 2004, 12:43
I sould be going, not to compete but to watch. The parents have said that I can have the car for the weekend. I'm now not sure whether I'll be able to put anyone up at my house as a couple of fencer's from my club at home might be joining me. Will post here as soon as I know.

This post has been edited a couple of times by me but only to correct spelling mistakes. My brain is fried from trying to implement a minimax search algorithm with alpha-beta pruning in Prolog. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Tarmac
-16th March 2004, 22:00
definately gonna be there.. even if it is for a damn good thrashing!!

hokers
-11th April 2004, 11:45
How did you all do then?

I had a pretty good day, made the L32 before going out to the no5 seed. TBH I had a pretty easy route through to that stage, but enjoyed it anyway. Hall was outrageously hot though, and not much space.

Should be good points though as there were 98 in MS. Good fight against tigger as well, I'll get you next time ;)

hokers

Le Duc
-11th April 2004, 16:51
What did people think of the tournament, i was the "runner" for the admin.
I was v impressed by all, well done Faren btw

Rdb811
-11th April 2004, 20:31
Originally posted by Rdb811
Should be fit (ish) by then

Wasn't. Not even remotely. I was feeling much fitter a fortnight ago.

Neo
-11th April 2004, 20:52
A bit late, but I found a nice little hotel a mile from the Uni (complete with swimming pool, gym, sauna etc - complimentary for guests) for 24 in Hagley Rd.

Neo
-11th April 2004, 21:00
Originally posted by hokers
How did you all do then?

I had a pretty good day, made the L32 before going out to the no5 seed. TBH I had a pretty easy route through to that stage, but enjoyed it anyway. Hall was outrageously hot though, and not much space.

Should be good points though as there were 98 in MS. Good fight against tigger as well, I'll get you next time ;)

hokers

The end hall (where the men's sabre was) was bloody hot, the others weren't too bad.

Rdb811
-11th April 2004, 22:06
Originally posted by Neo
A bit late, but I found a nice little hotel a mile from the Uni (complete with swimming pool, gym, sauna etc - complimentary for guests) for 24 in Hagley Rd.

I stayed in another one down the road - different brand name, but the same chain - for the same price.

Neo
-11th April 2004, 22:12
anyone know how to get ketchup out of white breeches? :S

pinkelephant
-12th April 2004, 08:46
Try washing them.

pinkelephant
-12th April 2004, 08:50
Good weekend - L32 in WE not too bad at my age especially after a rubbish pool. Then refereed lots.

Only problem was forgetting my entire overnight bag. Washing knickers overnight and drying them with a hairdryer not the BEST mental prearation for a competition!

Biggest problem was finding people who had gone for a wander, or even done what they were told and stayed on the same piste, only to find their next DE moved to another hall. They REALLY need a centre-wide PA system.

PM1
-12th April 2004, 12:08
...an excess of "need to know" there, pinky.... but it didn't show on the day.....!!

But what bacon sarnies!!!!! Never been to the comp before, but those sarnies have convinced my better half and the boy that this should now be a fixture....

Someone pm me with hotel details, PLEASE...we stayed Hagley Road, 3 of us including a good brekkie, for 55 total. But no pool, and lifestyle change demands me exercising.....

Neo
-12th April 2004, 12:16
http://www.stayaway.com/cgi/info_cp.cgi?hotel_id=7148&easting=40658&northing=28735&location=BIRMINGHAM&proximity=1.7&ref=ukrs was mine

The cheeseburgers were good too (had about 4 I think :P) but keep them away from your breeches... ketchup doesn't wash out (even tried bleach, but to no avail :()

PM1
-12th April 2004, 12:29
Cheers!! I must admit i used laterooms.com, which serves me well usually, and we ended up in a functional, cheap Crossroads job, that took me way back.

The joke was that we used to live a couple of roads away when we lived in Brum, and so bored Rich rigid by doing the "oooh, remember when..." as we travelled to the Uni.

Which may explain why he didn't want to wake up and fence when we arrived......

Exgeordielass
-12th April 2004, 15:04
Originally posted by Neo
http://www.stayaway.com/cgi/info_cp.cgi?hotel_id=7148&easting=40658&northing=28735&location=BIRMINGHAM&proximity=1.7&ref=ukrs was mine

The cheeseburgers were good too (had about 4 I think :P) but keep them away from your breeches... ketchup doesn't wash out (even tried bleach, but to no avail :()

Thanks for the info, will squirrel it away for next year - our hotel, the Westmead was okay but a bit far from the venue and the restaurant and bar were unavailable because of a wedding reception. Would give it brownie points for managing to give us breakfast within 30 minutes on the Sunday, start to finish. Meant hubby was able to reach the epee check in on time.

Son, like Hokers, got a l32 in the sabre, he was lucky and had his poule in the old gymnasium and his d/es next to the open door in the new hall so temperatures wasn't so much of an issue.

Bar was willing to do me an Atkins baguette (salad rather than bread on the Sunday).

bufc99
-12th April 2004, 18:36
Originally posted by Le Duc
What did people think of the tournament, i was the "runner" for the admin.
I was v impressed by all, well done Faren btw

Who are you as I was also helping out Miek and Joan??? I'm Stuart btw.

Tarmac
-12th April 2004, 18:39
was there and was knocked out by Jacky Yu early on -but had a cracking time... had a bit of bugger of a poule though and got a cack seeding(but a positive indicator).. but hey ho life goes on..
just in case you missed me I was sporting a devon flag on the back of mask (green with white cross)...

randomsabreur
-12th April 2004, 18:48
Good comp, the lack of PA was a slight problem tho'. And I am not really fit enough to do foil in a saunaish hall like the new gym upstairs, there were several occasions (after my last 3 poule fights) when I was lying in a heap on the floor needing someone to dump a bucket of water all over me!

Of course favourable impression also depends on result as if you think you always do badly, you are less likely to think it is well organised.

L8 in Sabre, L32 in foil, so quite pleased, although brain departed at various moments during the comp and I really really need to work on winning fights from 4-4 as I slipped up in 2 at each weapon, 3 of those from being 4-2 up at least! Also now have large bruise on right knee from where I landed up on my derriere in my L16 fight when I tripped over my own feet attempting to run away!

Tarmac
-12th April 2004, 20:37
anybody know why the tv cameras were there?

Keith.A.Smith
-12th April 2004, 22:15
The BBC and local newspapers were present at Birmingham to get a story but also to publicise our sport. Good news for fencing.

Keith

tree
-12th April 2004, 22:36
yeh i thought i saw some cameras.
thats really good news for the fencing world! :grin:

J_D
-13th April 2004, 09:50
Probably my worst Birmingham ever:( But what the hell, we had a great w/e and sampled good food, wine and some night life.

I'll be back next year on better form! :grin:

bufc99
-13th April 2004, 10:10
Originally posted by Exgeordielass
Bar was willing to do me an Atkins baguette (salad rather than bread on the Sunday).

They're usualy pretty accomodating in there. I frequent the place on tuesday nights during term-time, after kayaking. I don't even have to ask for my order anymore, it's poured as soon as I walk through the door.

Gav
-13th April 2004, 10:17
I didn't make it! Spent all weekend watching bands instead!

Anyone know the winners of ME and WE?

Jambo
-13th April 2004, 11:06
www.birminghaminternational.org.uk

Willis and Bird

Gav
-13th April 2004, 11:14
looking at the competition site might have been too sensible. Cheers anyway!

Insipiens
-13th April 2004, 11:47
and do we have any guesses at the NIF count? I came out roughly 65 for the mens foil without taking anybody into account who is not in the UK rankings.

rory
-13th April 2004, 12:25
Taking into account the French fencers, and working from the March NIF list, I make it 77.

Neo
-13th April 2004, 12:39
Rory, u fence at Blantyre right?

hokers
-13th April 2004, 13:24
Anyone calculate the MS NIF? 12 of the current top 20 were there, bodes pretty well I reckon. Should be my highest points score yet :) may still be outside top 60 though. :(

rory
-13th April 2004, 14:56
Originally posted by Neo
Rory, u fence at Blantyre right?

Used to, when there was a club there. It's gone now.
Now I fence at EFC, and (shortly, when it restarts) the West Section training night.

rpryer
-13th April 2004, 16:04
Anyone calculate the MS NIF? 12 of the current top 20 were there, bodes pretty well I reckon. Should be my highest points score yet :) may still be outside top 60 though. :(

I made it 66.

Neo
-13th April 2004, 16:12
Originally posted by rory
Used to, when there was a club there. It's gone now.
Now I fence at EFC, and (shortly, when it restarts) the West Section training night.

oooh, last I heard it was still going. I fenced there for a short while, must have been some time around 1990-1993 (I was about 8-11 I think).

tigger
-14th April 2004, 07:49
Anyone calculate the MS NIF? 12 of the current top 20 were there, bodes pretty well I reckon. Should be my highest points score yet may still be outside top 60 though.

I made it 67. possibly slightly higher with the foreign dudes.

Neo
-14th April 2004, 21:52
according to the foil rankings the NIF is 60 (I think)

Boo Boo
-14th April 2004, 22:05
Originally posted by Neo
according to the foil rankings the NIF is 60 (I think)

Men's foil rankings are up to 1st April 2004 - therefore the "Birmingham Open" NIF quoted is last year's...

Boo
(now recovered after doping control :o )

Neo
-14th April 2004, 22:07
Yep, I just realised its last years results that were in there :)