PDA

View Full Version : Blocking times?!?

sabretom
-29th February 2004, 18:17
Hello, ive been browsing the sabre forum, and ive seen quite alot about the blocking times being decreased.. i was wondering if anyone can tell me what blocking times are and wether it matters if they're being decreased? :)

Flash SOTU
-29th February 2004, 19:48
The scoring apparatus brings up two lights only if both fencers hit valid target within a certain intervall of time, and this intervall is the blocking time. It is called blocking time because after this time the second light is blocked.

If the fie changes the rules and shortens the blocking time they might reduce the number of two light actions while probably making the remissa easier, but you can never 100% say what fencing will look like some time after the rules are changed.

cheers Flash

sabretom
-29th February 2004, 19:53
cheers flash :)

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 17:09
don't know the exact times but i think its in the 100ths of a second range!

gladiator
-2nd March 2004, 08:36
In sabre it's going from 375ms to 120ms. So quite a difference.

PKT
-8th March 2004, 04:55
Yup, go for the remise with the new blocking time. Or VERY, very fast riposte.
the don't understand the reason the FIE think that there is a problem with the curent blocking time in sabre, or any problem with sabre currently.

PK

nahouw
-13th March 2004, 00:40
The reason that it is being reduced is because in this way true attacks in preparation will be seen and not left up to the referee's discretion -- if it is an attack in preparation, it will be 1 light; if it is really attack-counterattack, it will be 2 lights and the attacker gets the touch.

As far as to the riposte question and the remise, that is why the referee is there to determine priority, and with this lockout timing, the riposte will most likely show as 1 light anyway.

randomsabreur
-14th March 2004, 14:13
I'd have thought that if there were 2 lights, chances are the riposte is in time, if someone does a fast remise, it'll be 1 light, probably to the lanky so and so who attacks, and remises. I'd say that I light ripostes where a remise has been attempted and not parried would be very rare.

These opinions are not based on any kind of testing, I have not seen how the new timing will work, but I would be very surprised if the new timing favours the riposte in the slightest

PKT
-14th March 2004, 20:51
Originally posted by randomsabreur
I'd have thought that if there were 2 lights, chances are the riposte is in time, ...

the riposte does not have to be in time, it has the RoW. hence my problem with the reduction in the blocking time.

In the Havana WC, in the final bout, Lukashenko attacked, Covaliu parried, L remised on C's mask, then C's simple riposte landed.

the time differnce was obviously w/i the current blocking time since both lights came on and C got the hit. but if you 1/3 the blocking time, C's simple, direct riposte, which had the RoW, will be blockedand only one light will show.

in other words, the blocking time will negate the RoW.

pk

randomsabreur
-16th March 2004, 11:37
I meant that the riposte was not put out of time by an in time remise before it started! But couldn't be bothered to spell it out in black and white.

So, 2 lights on a riposte remise situation - riposte touche

1 light, whoever's light it is, (obviously I know) but generally remise will win.

I wonder if the rule will bring in more counter ripostes due to correct guesswork as the parrying fencer will have to rush their riposte to make sure a remise doesn't get them

PKT
-23rd March 2004, 21:30

So, 2 lights on a riposte remise situation - riposte touche

1 light, whoever's light it is, (obviously I know) but generally remise will win.

Most likely, in a riposte/remise situation, the remise will light first.

... I wonder if the rule will bring in more counter ripostes due to correct guesswork as the parrying fencer will have to rush their riposte to make sure a remise doesn't get them

Hence my assertion that riposte's RoW will be cancelled out by the block-out time.
Is this the route the FIE want to go?
Is this the route we want to go?

PK

nahouw
-24th March 2004, 01:00
Originally posted by PKT
Most likely, in a riposte/remise situation, the remise will light first.

Hence my assertion that riposte's RoW will be cancelled out by the block-out time.

Yes, when 2 lights are on, if they come on simultaneously, it is attack-counter-attack with the attacker getting the touch; if it is one light on first and then a delay before the other light goes on, it is riposte-remise, with the defender getting the touch.

In épée, which has a 40ms blocking time, more than half the time the riposte-remise scenario will be 2 lights, so reducing sabre blocking time to 120ms (three times as much time as épée) will not lockout a riposte.

randomsabreur
-24th March 2004, 09:40
Depends if opponent is a lanky so and so!!!

PKT
-25th March 2004, 07:39
All speculations about how the new-timing machines work can stop now. Some people have tried the new machines for both sabre and foil:

http://www.fencing101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10469&page=1

PK