PDA

View Full Version : Hey People!

Sarah
-1st March 2004, 16:53
Just registered and thought it would be nice to say hello. I started fencing in october but only really have learned how to use a foil. Went to my first competition last weekend and came second - quite chuffed and now hooked! Anyway, I fence in hertfordshire with the university but live in salisbury so it would be cool to meet up with people who live that way during the summer?
Bye bye for now x

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 17:00
Morning/affternoon/evening (delete as appropiate) ok first off surley one should delete as inappropiate(?) ok just one of those things i guess.

Ok now the deal

Hey sarah welcome to the looney bin...........sorry sorry i mean forum. Ok but seriously there are a couple of smart people here i mean well i passed my SAT's you know!

Ok have fun hope we can help you!

Sarah
-1st March 2004, 17:04
Smart people?? (P.S. Like your little catchphrase at the end of your last post!)

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 17:06
Thanks id like to be able to call it my own! but i stole it from Mask of Zoro, But shushhhhhh dont tell MGM!

Sarah
-1st March 2004, 17:11
Naughty! Anyway my lips are sealed on that one!

Tarmac
-1st March 2004, 17:12
Greetings and salutations - welcome to the forum indeed!:grin: :grin: :grin:

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 17:14
Thanks you are to kind really you are. Ahh really wish fencing was tonight any one got a moday night club i can get my self down to?

Sarah
-1st March 2004, 17:18
Well, I fence later at 8 but think hertfordshire is a bit out of the question for you! Besides you technically need to be a student otherwise you would need to find some ingenious way of passing security on the way in!

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 17:20
Security isn't normally a problem, well wasnt at leeds, but hertfordshire might prove a wee problem

Sarah
-1st March 2004, 17:25
LOL! Good luck in finding somewhere to go.

Tarmac
-1st March 2004, 17:28
could always come to newton abbot...its only a little further... start at eight - you might have time to get ya driving licence first!!:tongue:

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 17:29
Driving license?? hmm to much effot, i kno ill learn to fly!

hayleyjade
-1st March 2004, 17:45
lol, wht u on about leeds?

i would say you should come to leeds, but then again id ont think wed want/have u!:tongue:

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 17:51
leeds the music fest dur and i dont think you could keep your hands off me honey!

hayleyjade
-1st March 2004, 17:54
hmmmmmmmmmmm, well you know:o

Athos
-1st March 2004, 18:55
This is my first post on this site so I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself! I'm in between fencing clubs at the moment, having moved from Devon to Kent a couple of months ago - I can't believe how much I miss fencing after just 4 months! I'm moving to Woking in May though so I hope to join a new club soon.

I also wanted to say hello to any members of the Newton Abbot & Totnes fencing club who may be online- I hope you're all doing well and I miss you all!

Bye for now,

Alex

Athos
-1st March 2004, 19:04
Originally posted by Tarmac
could always come to newton abbot...its only a little further... start at eight - you might have time to get ya driving licence first!!:tongue:

Er.... ;) your name isn't John is it? You don't recall fighting 2 girls with foils at Newton Abbot, do you? Let me know how you're getting on - been to any more competitions lately?

Alex x

Sarah
-3rd March 2004, 10:16
Where is Newton Abbott??Sorry my geography is awful!

pinkelephant
-3rd March 2004, 11:53
South Devon

hokers
-3rd March 2004, 12:39
Originally posted by Athos
I can't believe how much I miss fencing after just 4 months! I'm moving to Woking in May though so I hope to join a new club soon.

All the best people live in Woking :D

Seriously, get down to guildford fencing club, its only about 10-15 mins from woking and very good. www.guildfordfencing.co.uk
There is a club in Woking, but they have very few experienced fencers remaining after a change in management recently. There is also an Aldershot club quite close if you're a girly foilist ;)

Incidentally, sorry for the thread hijack Sarah, welcome to the forums! :party:

Sarah
-3rd March 2004, 14:03
Thats ok! xx

NLSC Sabreur
-3rd March 2004, 16:07
Originally posted by Sarah
Just registered and thought it would be nice to say hello. I started fencing in october but only really have learned how to use a foil. Went to my first competition last weekend and came second - quite chuffed and now hooked! Anyway, I fence in hertfordshire with the university but live in salisbury so it would be cool to meet up with people who live that way during the summer?
Bye bye for now x

Was that the novices at Herts County competition on the Saturday? I was there on for the sabre and epee on the Sunday and I have to say its a nice venue.

Sarah
-3rd March 2004, 16:30
I was there for the foil - epee scares me! Yeah the new campus and sports village opened this year and it is pretty good. I hope you did well in the competition. What club do you fence with?

uk_45
-3rd March 2004, 17:11
Fence sabre (uk_45 destroyes another pefectly good fencer) it is fun!

Athos
-4th March 2004, 12:18
Originally posted by hokers
All the best people live in Woking :D

Seriously, get down to guildford fencing club, its only about 10-15 mins from woking and very good. www.guildfordfencing.co.uk
There is a club in Woking, but they have very few experienced fencers remaining after a change in management recently. There is also an Aldershot club quite close if you're a girly foilist ;)

Incidentally, sorry for the thread hijack Sarah, welcome to the forums! :party:

Cool - thanks for the info. The website looks good. Hopefully I'll move in a month or so, so will have a look! I am a girly foilist :) - does Guildford cover all weapons? I'd also like to start lessons in some others this year ....

NLSC Sabreur
-5th March 2004, 13:26
I was there for the foil - epee scares me! Yeah the new campus and sports village opened this year and it is pretty good. I hope you did well in the competition. What club do you fence with?

I won the sabre (there wasn't much opposition). In the epee, two weapons stopped working, and my third fell apart because the thread on the tang (end of the blade) was so worn. I fence for North London Sabre Clube (NLSC) which moved last summer to Potters Bar which is a few miles south of Hatfield. You can find out more at www.nlsc.co.uk

NLSC is sabre only (and if you want to try sabre please come) but there is Welwyn-Hatfield FC which meets on Fridays in the Hatfield Leisure Centre, Travellers Lane (mostly foil) if you are ever looking for more fencing.

devalleassoc
-8th March 2004, 21:59
I am a girly foilist :) [/B]

Welcome Alex, what exactly IS the definition of a "girly" foilist, anyway. (I've fenced girls, and they are all pretty tough!!):confused:

-Raphael

Athos
-9th March 2004, 07:46
Originally posted by devalleassoc
Welcome Alex, what exactly IS the definition of a "girly" foilist, anyway. (I've fenced girls, and they are all pretty tough!!):confused:

-Raphael

Hi Raphael, I don't really know - was responding to hokers really - I certainly like to think I'm pretty tough! :rambo: I assume it's something to do with foil over sabre or epee, but I think the foil is a pretty "hard" weapon!!

Sarah
-9th March 2004, 12:50
I agree athos!
Many people in the club that i'm in have called me viscious several times (but i don't think thats true!). Although i did manage to do a saber hit attack on the guys head who i was fencing yesterday with a foil - the ref was in a fit of laughter for about 2 mins. Hmmm...think i need more practice! xx

uk_45
-9th March 2004, 20:44
Hmm well id say all foilist are girly but hey i spose it's your style!

Sarah
-9th March 2004, 21:12
And all sabre users are matcho i suppose??? :)

uk_45
-9th March 2004, 21:14
Yep we are. Even if we do forget things!

Sarah
-9th March 2004, 21:25
What do you mean by forget things?

uk_45
-9th March 2004, 21:29
I forget!

Sarah
-9th March 2004, 21:31
Nice answer. Do you mean you forget things when you're fencing or just things in general?

uk_45
-9th March 2004, 21:32
I donno. To many hits to head. I tend to forget to parry tho!

Sarah
-9th March 2004, 21:35
I'm always forgetting my footwork! and to keep my grip of the foil in the correct position, to use my fingers rather than my wrist, and to bend my knees, and to keep my distance...the list goes on!

uk_45
-9th March 2004, 21:36
yeah a grip rather than hold a sabre. and annying things like that!

Athos
-10th March 2004, 12:39
I'm always forgetting my footwork! and to keep my grip of the foil in the correct position, to use my fingers rather than my wrist, and to bend my knees, and to keep my distance...the list goes on!

I tend to forget to straighten my arm, which is a bit of a disadvatage in fencing foil!! The thing is, I think I've straightened it, but I haven't straightened it fully, so I lose the point - one of my main faults to work on...

Boo Boo
-10th March 2004, 12:45
The thing is, I think I've straightened it, but I haven't straightened it fully, so I lose the point - one of my main faults to work on...

In foil you don't have to straighten your arm fully to get the hit: the important thing is that it is extending towards the target and that you started this extension before your opponent started their extension.

So it is the timing os the extension and the progressively extending that is important, not the extent or the speed of the extension...

Boo

devalleassoc
-10th March 2004, 13:55
I tend to forget to straighten my arm, which is a bit of a disadvatage in fencing foil!! The thing is, I think I've straightened it, but I haven't straightened it fully, so I lose the point - one of my main faults to work on...

Hey there!! I must admit, it one of my faults as well. The worst thing is that by not extending your arm, you telegraph your intentions way ahead of time! (Body flying towards opponent, and then......oh, yeah, the arm...) We all must work on this!!:transport

- Raphael

hokers
-10th March 2004, 14:44
Guildford has only a few female foilists. We do have two coaches, for group and individual lessons, a fairly strong sabre and epee contingent and an average attendence of about 40+ at the moment. And a pretty good attendence at the pub most weeks as well :D

But to be honest, if you're a female foilist, you would get more female competition at Aldershot. Why not try both, see how you like it.

And in reply to the question above, damn right sabreurs are more macho :strong:

devalleassoc
-10th March 2004, 14:48

And in reply to the question above, damn right sabreurs are more macho :strong: [/B]

DON'T be so sure!:sam:

Boo Boo
-10th March 2004, 14:54
But to be honest, if you're a female foilist, you would get more female competition at Aldershot.

I hear that Aldreshot is quite "young" at the moment (as far as women foilists are concerned...). Still, some very good kids there...

Boo

Athos
-10th March 2004, 16:32
What about male foilists at Guildford though? There was only one other regular female foilist at Newton Abbot, so I'm quite happy to fight against men!:grin:

Sarah
-10th March 2004, 16:52
I've always thought that fencing was an equal sport so it doesn't matter who you fence because their skills should be the same irrespective of gender. But saying that, their are few other ladies at the fencing club i go to so i regular fence the boys (its great to beat them too!).

pinkelephant
-10th March 2004, 17:07
Afraid speed & strength come into it as well - not just technique.

Sarah
-10th March 2004, 17:16
Still, speed and strength depend on the individual. Although if you took the whole population, you would probably find that males are stronger and faster than females but then i know of some ladies who are stronger and faster than other males. I think it depends more on experience, fitness and mental agility. x

devalleassoc
-12th March 2004, 13:11
I'll have to agree with you Sarah, fencing is probably as equal a sport as sport get. I have seen a 50+ former olympian, who still fences on a regular basis beat 18 year old hot -shots, some of which are young olympians. The reason is experience, yes, my friend is still fast, the youngsters are probably faster, but his mental agility is such, that it becomes the equalizer. I too have beaten younger fencers, (I'm fast and strong, but mentally....)and at the same time have been beaten by young more more mentally adept women fencers. :grin:

Sarah
-15th March 2004, 21:58
Just want to say thanx for everyone for being so lovely and welcoming me in to the forum. Keep it up!

devalleassoc
-16th March 2004, 01:59
I'm sure I am speaking for all of us when I say, "The pleasure is all mine".
(Might as well be nice, before the abuse begins!!:grin: )

But seriously, "WELCOME"! :)