PDA

View Full Version : A little advice for workouts before competitions

PVB
-23rd December 2011, 16:05
Hey there everyone,

I'd appreciate some help on the matter, since I'm quite lost at the moment :P I'm 20 y/o foilist, and was hoping for some gym advice before a big competition

P.

Rob.Leicester
-23rd December 2011, 17:20
Hey there everyone,

I'd appreciate some help on the matter, since I'm quite lost at the moment :P I'm 20 y/o foilist, and was hoping for some gym advice before a big competition

P.

I think before anyone can give you some meaningful advice, you should take a look at some of the other similar threads and look at the information that people like S&C guy need, to be able to give you proper advice.

Things like, build, gym experience, focus of training, proximity to competition are vital pieces of information needed to give you some useful tips.

PVB
-23rd December 2011, 17:37
Well the competition is a couple of months away, and training focus is physical, since I get enough of the fencing at my club. Gym experience is pretty average, I know my way around. I just need to know how much more I'd need to push myself physically before it.

Rob.Leicester
-23rd December 2011, 17:53
Well the competition is a couple of months away, and training focus is physical, since I get enough of the fencing at my club. Gym experience is pretty average, I know my way around. I just need to know how much more I'd need to push myself physically before it.

Sorry by focus I meant, are you looking to improve things like strength and power, and if so, what sort of condition are you in at the moment.

For example, myself, I'm working on building strength at the moment, from a position of having let myself slip a bit recently. So I'm doing a more general "get stronger" program over the Christmas holidays, and then I'm going to fine-tune it as the season picks up again in January.

That's the sort of thing I meant by focus.

PVB
-23rd December 2011, 19:59
That's generally what I do, I meant specific exercises to build up power for lunging, fleches, etc.

coach carson
-28th December 2011, 14:31
Lunges and fleche are pretty complex actions. Its difficult to answer the question without really knowing what the problem is. Whatever it is, strength training might well be part of the solution, but a good coach should be assisting you. Here's a great piece of advice I picked up recently ...

The body is all about connections and linkages, not parts. How the parts and systems of the body connect and interact allow the body to achieve the remarkable feats of skill, power, strength, speed and endurance that we see it achieve. Therefore coach the linkages and connections to help the body more effectively solve movement problems. Get away from the reductionist approach that focuses on the parts, instead look at making the parts connect more efficiently. Ultimately performance is a big rhythmic dance with everything flowing and connecting.