PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh, anyone?

Ulrika
-3rd March 2004, 21:24
Hi!

I'm just curious as if anyone from the forum will come to the competition in Edinburgh on march 13-14?

Especially those of you participating in the womens epée, would be interesting to know who you are!

//Ulrika

Gav
-4th March 2004, 11:52
I'll be there - obviously. It appears that some people have asked if anything has been arranged for the Friday night preceding the competition.

So, depending on what everyone wants, something could be organised.

If anyone has any preferences then let me know.

Australian
-4th March 2004, 12:14
i'll be there from friday til sunday

a social night in the pub would be quite cool for the friday

bucket
-4th March 2004, 12:18
Most women epeeists at my club and a few others will be at the Dundee event.

Ulrika
-4th March 2004, 14:32
Originally posted by Australian
A social night in the pub would be quite cool for the friday

I agree. That would be a nice, not too "overworked" arrangement.

Since I understand there'll be a PROPER party on saturday evening, right Gav? :)

//Ulrika

Gav
-4th March 2004, 15:31
Originally posted by Ulrika
I agree. That would be a nice, not too "overworked" arrangement.

Since I understand there'll be a PROPER party on saturday evening, right Gav? :)

//Ulrika

Yes, there will be a proper party on Saturday.

I don't what we could do for Friday yet, depends on what everyone likes - music and food-wise.

twohappyhippos
-4th March 2004, 15:36
I'm going!!!!!!!!!!!! party sounds like a brill plan to me Gav!

Australian
-4th March 2004, 20:15
Originally posted by twohappyhippos
I'm going!!!!!!!!!!!! party sounds like a brill plan to me Gav!

est,

ur pm inbox is full - but i will be at the junior international this weekend, but only for the saturday day, not friday night

Chris Morgan
-4th March 2004, 20:17
Has this competition been made a international or something? everyone seems to be going and i want to know why, please help

Australian
-4th March 2004, 20:34
Originally posted by Chris Morgan
Has this competition been made a international or something? everyone seems to be going and i want to know why, please help

MS, WS, and ME are all FIE satellite events, awarding FIE world cup points to the top 8 finishers

PM1
-4th March 2004, 21:33
so yes, Chris, it is an A grade - need an FIE licence which you can obtain on line. It's NEXT WEEKEND!!!!! and R is going, as am I of course. It's Sunday 8.30am at Meadowbank - the BFA calendar is wrong, the closing date has past, but you may be able to make a late application - drop me a pm if parents say yes - could see what I can do to help you on this one if you like/cam go.....:)

Gav
-5th March 2004, 07:34
Saturday night is the Ceilidh - that's the official party. It will be held in the Caledonian Brewery.

I've not been involved in organising the ceilidh - I'd like to make that clear to avoid the inevitable micky-taking if things go bad/well. :grin:

rory
-5th March 2004, 08:15
Originally posted by PM1
so yes, Chris, it is an A grade - need an FIE licence which you can obtain on line.

It's not an A-Grade. It's a Satellite. A-Grades are restricted to those fencers who are selected by their country: Satellites are open to anyone with an FIE license and 800N kit.
See you there.

Chris Morgan
-5th March 2004, 13:19
I havent sent a evtry form off yet, can you apply on the day?

pinkelephant
-5th March 2004, 16:10
Have fun you lot. I shall be in Milton Keynes with the rest of the "old farts" as my son so delicately puts it.

PM1
-5th March 2004, 19:18
(I WILL get this correct eventually)

- actually, just been told it's not a REAL "A" grade by a mate on the phone, but that it should be "Good experience", and run on A grade lines. Yes ??

Chris - email the organiser and see what she will let you do. You CANNOT apply for an FIE licence on the day, but can do it on line....or so 3CT says - I sent the cheque and application form in snail mail, and a couple of days later, he had his licence confirmed on line.

Not received the CARD yet, but there you go.....:grin:

And Pinky - leave the "farts" to the boy........good luck!!

Chris Morgan
-6th March 2004, 08:12
Thannks Pm1 but i cant make it, its a bit too difficult for my mam on the friday and then coming bk on monday... and etc so i wont be going, good luck to all of you that are and let me know how you get on.

PM1
-7th March 2004, 07:27
oooooh - FIE card received yesterday .....must have been reading the forum.....Chris, I'll pm you

Keith.A.Smith
-7th March 2004, 21:59
Dear All,

See you in Edinburgh. I have been invited to ref so am flying up on the Saturday morning.

To those goiung to the Veterans in Milton Keynes...Good Luck.

Keith

Lucan
-9th March 2004, 08:43
I see a fencing photo in The Courier. Good to see the tournament organisers getting some publicity. I just hope the finals are better staged then the Corble

aao
-15th March 2004, 09:28
so how did it go?????? how did you all do???

Australian
-15th March 2004, 10:34
was truly awesome

i got a L32 so i'm very happy...

got knocked out by Rota, an incredibly good italian fencer

aao
-15th March 2004, 10:44
Well done, Carlo Rota is definately quite handy, his brother Alfredo is loitering around the worlds top 10 I think.

how many were in it??

srb
-15th March 2004, 10:53
Is is true that the NIF for the Men's foil was 30, although there were only 37 competitors?

This means that 28 fencers could have got points. So you could come 28th without winning a D.E., and still get 154.8 points.

If you win a competition with a NIF of 7, you will only get 140 points. So the winner of the Invicta (which took place on the same weekend, and ran from an incomplete 128) would have been better of going to Scotland, and just turning up on the piste.

Surely this system is wrong?

srb

Boo Boo
-15th March 2004, 11:03
Well done Australian - am sure that the Scots ensured that you had a good time, whilst in Edinburgh, too :)

How did Invicta go, srb (did you win?), NIF of 7 is SERIOUSLY low... (will email you re that telephone number you wanted...)

Boo

Gav
-15th March 2004, 11:04
No-one was more supriesed at the quality of the Foil entrants then those entering the Foil! There was some good fencing to be had and the final between James Rowe and James Beevers was quite entertaining.

I'll do a write up on the rest of the weekend at some point today.

hokers
-15th March 2004, 11:56
Originally posted by srb

So the winner of the Invicta (which took place on the same weekend, and ran from an incomplete 128) would have been better of going to Scotland, and just turning up on the piste.
srb

You cant get any points without winning a DE or getting a bye. But I hear what you're saying about the points differences. You just have to go to the big competitions if you're after points.

Boo Boo
-15th March 2004, 12:08
Originally posted by hokers
You cant get any points without winning a DE or getting a bye. But I hear what you're saying about the points differences. You just have to go to the big competitions if you're after points.

That's for A-grades (similar for B-grades, but you need to be in top 50%...). Men's foil at Edinburgh was just a domestic men's foil competition - so you just need to finish in the top 75% and L64 (no DE victory or bye required...).

srb does go to just about all the big comps - he just goes to too many small ones as well... (and then complains cos there aren't many points ;) ).

Boo

srb
-15th March 2004, 12:21
Originally posted by Boo Boo
(did you win?),

Boo

Thanks - just bring my misery into the public domain. After the poule I was no. 2 seed, but lost to Alex Lewis in the 32. So a very disppointing 17th.

So yes, I should have spent the £19 plane fare from Bristol to Edinburgh and tried to fence Gordon Jamieson who apparently fenced LEFT handed.

srb

Gav
-15th March 2004, 12:28
It's true that Gordon fenced as a leftie for the day.

Boo Boo
-15th March 2004, 12:31
Oh dear :(. These kiddies, srb... ;)

Will ask for gorey details - to prolong misery - in person... ;)

I guess it is a bit of a gamble (i.e. who turns up at which of the smaller competitions).... Sometimes it is a lot of travelling for not much reward (points)... :(

Boo

pinkelephant
-15th March 2004, 12:49
All I've heard so far is the odd grunt about night clubs.

rory
-15th March 2004, 14:56
Off the top of my head, the MF contained:
(NIFs in brackets)
- James Beevers (6)
- James Rowe (6)
- Conrad Chin (3)
- Keith Cook (3)
- Steve Glaister (1)
- Scott Brodie (1)
- Gordon Jamieson (1)
- Nick Dootson (1)
- Me (1)
+ (1) for the comp itself.

So only 24 (!) out of an entry of 37.
Also fencing were Andrew Austin (ex-top 30), Mike McKay (ex-Scotland Commonwealth team) and kevin Milne (ex-Scotland team), none of whom have any points right now.

Easily the hardest competition I've seen in Scotland in the last five years at least.

haggis
-15th March 2004, 17:55
Originally posted by srb
Thanks - just bring my misery into the public domain. After the poule I was no. 2 seed, but lost to Alex Lewis in the 32. So a very disppointing 17th.

So yes, I should have spent the £19 plane fare from Bristol to Edinburgh and tried to fence Gordon Jamieson who apparently fenced LEFT handed.

srb

Gordon might have beaten you...

If you're going to fence in competitions like the Invicta then complain when Edinburgh gets a much higher NIF despite a small entry then perhaps you should pay one of the top 10 and one of your mates to fence you in your back garden each weekend then send the result in to organiser of the MF ranking list. At least that way you'd get probably get 126 points, most weekends. At least until your mate gets better...;)

Regards

Haggis (always with your best interests in mind)

Keith.A.Smith
-15th March 2004, 18:10
Well done to Scottish fencing and the organisers of the Edinburgh Opena nd the FIE Satellite events at MS, ME and WE. The events were wel organised, with ecelently staged finals on the Saturday and nice prizes. There was also a good party organised for the Saturday.ME had about 60 fencers and the other events were smaller. The events were sponsored by Glenfiddich and the press were there.

I hope more fenmcers make the journey north net year to a well organised and welcoming competition.

It would also be good to see GBR fencers supporting our FIE satelite events.

Keith

srb
-15th March 2004, 18:51
Originally posted by haggis
Gordon might have beaten you...

Very probably!

If I get space at the Haggis Hotel, I'll come up and see you next year.

srb

Robert
-15th March 2004, 19:19
Originally posted by rory

So only 24 (!) out of an entry of 37.

It certainly was. Rory, did Danzi finish ahead of any of the NIFs, if he did he will have counted for points (probably 1 or 3)?
And there was plenty of depth after the NIFs. I fenced 4 top 100s in addition to 9 NIF points, and in my poule every single person was ranked (I've only ever seen that at Colchester before).

But it was really well organised, and a lot of fun. Well worth all the travel.

Robert

randomsabreur
-16th March 2004, 10:57
Originally posted by srb
Is is true that the NIF for the Men's foil was 30, although there were only 37 competitors?

This means that 28 fencers could have got points. So you could come 28th without winning a D.E., and still get 154.8 points.

If you win a competition with a NIF of 7, you will only get 140 points. So the winner of the Invicta (which took place on the same weekend, and ran from an incomplete 128) would have been better of going to Scotland, and just turning up on the piste.

srb

No, because it is harder to get the points in the tougher, smaller competition because it is harder to win fights in the poules to get the higher seeding. With a number of NIFs and not many others, much harder for lower ranked fencers to get hits and wins in the poules, there must have been some pretty tough poules at the Edinburgh. The NIF system seems to me to be as good a way as any to rate the strength of a competition, any rating system can be accused of being unfair.

rory
-16th March 2004, 11:22
there must have been some pretty tough poules at the Edinburgh.

Yep. One second round poule contained James Beevers, James Rowe, Gordon Jamieson and the Italian, Danzi.

(This due to Rowe dropping 2 fights in the first round, and Gordon fencing left-handed for the day)

rpryer
-16th March 2004, 11:30
The results from Edinburgh are now on the BFA site:

International (http://www.britishfencing.com/scottishint04.html) (ME/MS/WS)

Domestic (http://www.britishfencing.com/edinburgh04.html) (MF/WF/WE)

doobarz
-16th March 2004, 11:41
Originally posted by rpryer
The results from Edinburgh are now on the BFA site:

International (http://www.britishfencing.com/scottishint04.html) (ME/MS/WS)

Domestic (http://www.britishfencing.com/edinburgh04.html) (MF/WF/WE)

Slightly confusing - I thought it was the MS & Epee events that were international, WS does not have WC points available...

aao
-16th March 2004, 11:48
hmmm interesting the mens epee seemed to be of a relatively high nif, but how is it counted for rankings??? an international (in which case the nif was 1) an open? (high nif but it really isn't an open competion)
going to be interesting.......(personally i'm not sure it should be counted as an open as it is part of the FIE sattelite circuit and as such all sattelite events should be ranked in the same way i.e. not off the domestic rankings but we'll see.........)

(womens epee also had a suprisingly high nif!)

Marcos
-16th March 2004, 11:54
Originally posted by aao
an international (in which case the nif was 1) an open? (high nif but it really isn't an open competion)

don't think that is correct - international epee have a NIF of 1/3 the numberof entrants + NIF of ranked FIE or UK fencers

So the Irish Open ME had a NIF of 9

(not that I know what an Epee is, you understand)