PDA

View Full Version : Firewall

srb
-6th May 2003, 19:56
If you haven't got a firewall - I suggest you get one.

I have been amazed the amount of access attempts that are made to my computer while I'm connected to this site.

I'm not a tech head, but while you're on-line anyone can access you're computer. If you have a firewall, it detects these access attempts and notifies you so you can deny the access.

These attempts could be just harmless market research, or they could be a hacker, you never know. Last year I had 11,000 attempts to access my computer and I don't spend a lot of time on-line.

That is until I discovered this site!

srb

bufc99
-6th May 2003, 20:25
Can you recommend one, I just installed Zone Alarm but it's being annoying. no matter how many times I configure it to allow cartain progs to access the internet it keeps playing up

kingkenny
-7th May 2003, 07:50
Norton do good ones put there is a monthly fee.

wingnutLP
-7th May 2003, 08:50
Which firewall do you have? 11000 attempts seems like an awful lot unless you are the FBI Mainframe!!
I think the firewall may be set to detect cookies which are bits of data that allow much of this and many other sites to work. They are harmless bits of info that are stored in your temporary internet files that allow things like the automatic log on when you visit this site.

srb
-7th May 2003, 09:29
I use eTrust EZ Firewall, and eTrust Antivirus.

You can set the level of access using the Firewall, and it identifies who is trying to access your computer so you have the choice to accept or deny access.

A lot of them are from people like NTL which is obviously marketing research. The worst one has been when trying to do some internet banking. My wife could hardly do what see wanted to do due to the number of access denials she had to make.

I bought both of these on-line from Computer Associates. Any antivirus software has to have the facility for automatic upgrades, as the software is out of date as soon as a new virus is released. Both of these cost me less than 30 a year. I don't remember the exact amount as I pay for them separately, and I pay in dollars using a credit card.

I got the firewall on a three month free trial before actually buying it.

With regard to cookies, thats where I get lost. I think if I set the firewall to deny everything, it denies the cookies as well, which means I can't do anything. So I set the access at a middle level and make the manual choice to deny or accept access.

srb

wingnutLP
-7th May 2003, 10:46
Cool,

I have a norton one but only seem to get intrusion attempts every couple of days... Hope it is working as it should!

lindsay watkiss
-11th May 2003, 14:41
Always better to have a firmware firewall than just software, lots on the market for around 400 try www.sonic.com

lindsay watkiss
-11th May 2003, 14:45
Sorry that's www.sonicwall.com

Muso440
-11th May 2003, 15:21
400 quid?!?!?! I for one would rather spend that kind of money on fencing kit.... (or my mortgage / car / whatever)

lindsay watkiss
-11th May 2003, 16:01
me to, but we are not running the forum

Rdb811
-18th May 2003, 00:30
I use Zone Alarm - but it interfers with Opera (which I only ever use for testing the website). There are Linux based firewalls that will tun on old kit (or a 3200 barebones system).

Neo
-9th November 2004, 00:00
Originally posted by srb
If you haven't got a firewall - I suggest you get one.

I have been amazed the amount of access attempts that are made to my computer while I'm connected to this site.

I'm not a tech head, but while you're on-line anyone can access you're computer. If you have a firewall, it detects these access attempts and notifies you so you can deny the access.

These attempts could be just harmless market research, or they could be a hacker, you never know. Last year I had 11,000 attempts to access my computer and I don't spend a lot of time on-line.

That is until I discovered this site!

srb

iptables!!!