PDA

View Full Version : sets on foils

reposte
-6th March 2004, 19:24
Can anyone point out the legal limitations of a set made on a foil?
I know that there are instruments at comps weapon control but my club doesn't have them and by that time - well, it'll be too late, no?

neevel
-6th March 2004, 22:55
The foil must be able to pass through a 12-cm diameter, 15-cm long cylindrical gauge, with the blade parallel to (but not necessarily coaxial with) the axis of the cylinder. If you have a maximum diameter (12 cm) guard, then telling whether it's legal is simple: if any part of the grip sticks out beyond the guard, it's not kosher. For a 10 cm guard, a canted grip can project up to 2 cm in one direction beyond the guard (since the blade and guard may be offset by 2 cm from the axis of the guage when passing through). Since the grip will be enclosed by the hand when you hold the weapon, it's not subject to M.4.5 (no crossbars or sockets projecting beyond the guard).

As a practical matter, you'll probably never run into a full weapons control except at a World Championships or Olympic Games competition. If you want to approximate the guage, cut a 37.7 cm x 15 cm piece of paper or posterboard, and then bend it around and tape the ends together to make a cylinder.

-Dave

reposte
-7th March 2004, 20:44
Thanks very much, neevel.

It's too late at night for me to even begn to understand, but its very precise info, very much to the point and welcomed greatly.

oddball
-9th March 2004, 11:55
Better fix my foils then...

stevejackson
-10th March 2004, 20:57
neevel's post is correct but perhaps not sufficent. M4.5 is also relevent "The grip must not include any device which can increase in any way the protection afforded to the hand or wrist of the fencer by the guard: a cross bar or electric socket protruding beyond the guard is expressly forbidden." This is particulaly a risk for those who use the smaller guards (normally associated with size 3 blades) when the inside guard socket can protrude.

oddball
-11th March 2004, 11:32
Does that mean the crossbar on an Italian foil is illegal?

neevel
-11th March 2004, 19:19
Originally posted by oddball
Does that mean the crossbar on an Italian foil is illegal?

Not as long as it doesn't project beyond the guard (and all Italian foil hilts I've seen except ones specifically made for SCA/CF/HF/costume conform to M4.5).

-Dave