PDA

View Full Version : BF CHAIR ROADSHOW PROGRAMME - Birmingham

aao
-3rd April 2012, 11:13
Dear All

Just a quick heads up about the first of the BF-Chair Roadshows which will be coming to the Birmingham International this Sunday Morning. I've pasted the official text below, but in a nutshell its a good opportunity to meet with David Teasdale (and some members of the board) and find out more about what the BFA are doing with regards the 3G strategy and the forthcoming EGM, bring up any concerns or suggestions you have with it, and generally give us your opinion (good or bad) about how things are going
In all honesty the roadshows are a good chance to get your views heard, and many of the views put forward t are subsequently discussed by the board.

All the best

Alp

*Official Text*

The BF Chair Roadshow Programme is designed to allow members of British Fencing to meet with myself and/or members of the Board of British Fencing face to face to ask any questions and discuss any issues they may have with regards to our current 3G Strategy Green, Grow, Gold - and on the matters for discussion at the EGM on Saturday 19 May. The aim is to bring the Roadshows to the fencers and members, and if there is not one based close to you in this programme, we hope there will be in the near future. There is no need to book a place on a Roadshow, just turn up on the day, although if you do have any specific questions which you would like to raise prior to the day please feel free to contact me using the details below.

The dates/events at which either myself or representatives of the Board of British Fencing will be hosting Roadshows are as follows (where the date is yet to be confirmed, we will update this page as soon as possible):

8th April Birmingham Open, morning
19th April London Evening Roadshow (venue tbc)
28th April Excalibur
5th May British Youth Championships, Sheffield
6th May Brighton Open.

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at these events. Don't forget the EGM on Saturday 19th May at the BOA in London (further details available here http://www.britishfencing.com/news/latest-news/?n=522).

David Teasdale (Chair, British Fencing)

BigPappaBear
-3rd April 2012, 11:19
Will the road show be venturing any further north? I seem to remember British Fencing covering Scotland and Wales...

aao
-3rd April 2012, 11:26
Prior to the EGM it is probably unlikely simply because of time constraints, but I will certainly ask David.

Gav
-3rd April 2012, 11:49
Will the road show be venturing any further north? I seem to remember British Fencing covering Scotland and Wales...

Well of course it does. That's why he's only travelling as far north as the Sheffield Open; as far west as Brum (or Excalibur - take your pick).

We're all in this together.

d_f_a
-3rd April 2012, 20:28
To Gav and BigPappaBear - The BYC will have fencers and supporters from Wales and Scotland. This roadshow is being held at major events in the next 2 months, why cant you give it a chance before pulling the "Britian doesn't recognise Wales and Scotland' card. I know there is a history of this but in the present economical climate perhaps the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Im guessing BF do not have the staff and funding to travel to far reaching parts of the country to speak to a few people.

fencers mum
-3rd April 2012, 21:39
The problem with doing anything at the BYCs tho is that it is just at the time when Scotland schools are in the middle of exams. So, at certain stages of their academic career, parents have to decide what is best for their kids. Since the BYC moved to May, we have not been in attendance because of this. We probably won't bother to attend with the next kid coming through either as I can't be bothered with driving in England during Bank Holidays. So, using the BYC is probably not the best to meet with Scots.

BigPappaBear
-4th April 2012, 10:43
d_f_a - its a marketing campaign, and sometimes to appear to be making the effort has a greater impact than relying on chance appearances of people who might be interested. Also Wales and Scotland will have specific needs and barriers that may prevent the fulfillment of the 3G strategy.

aao
-17th April 2012, 16:06
Dear All

Apologies for the short notice, the second of the BFA Roadshows will be taking place this Thursday (19/4/12) night in London at the Landsdowne club from 5.30 - 8pm.
As in Birmingham it is a good opportunity to meet and discuss what the BFA is doing and any suggestions or concerns you have with the BFA Chairman David Teasdale and some members of the board.

All the best

Alp

The Driver
-17th April 2012, 16:39
Will there be any clarification regarding the date and format of the Nationals?

aao
-17th April 2012, 16:54
The date of the nationals should be confirmed very shortly (within the next few days I expect), the format is still being discussed but will also be made available as soon as it is agreed.

Alp

BigPappaBear
-18th April 2012, 08:52
Can I make a suggestion that the event at the BYC's you mkae yourselves a bit more prominent. Maybe put a BFA sign up, you were somewhat lost at Birmingham against the backdrop of Leon Paul posters.

hokers
-18th April 2012, 12:54
I won't be able to make it, but can I ask two questions:

1: When will the previously mentioned "clear and transparent" funding criteria be published by BF?
2: What is BF doing to progress the case for improved protection of the hand from unbroken sabre blades after yet another UK fencer was injured this year in this way?

purple
-18th April 2012, 12:59
"Britian doesn't recognise Wales and Scotland' card.

Because as a person based in the North West (of England), I read the list of places and immediately (and without thinking) drew a Sharpie thick line around where was covered, and that made a distinctive in and out boundary. It's not a concious action, but if you're outside of the London or the south, you're acutely aware of it.

We appreciate there are volunteers as well as paid staff involved, and yes, there's travel considerations and time involved. Perhaps a better introduction to the aim of the scheme, and intended scope (as well as reach), with some idea of where it's heading. "If this works well, we'll do doing the same in other areas", would have done *miles* of good.

I know there is a history of this but in the present economical climate perhaps the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

That's easy enough. British Fencing therefore becomes London fencing, and only collects fees (directly or indirectly) from London members. Everybody else continues to pay regional only fees. Not what you meant? That's how it read.

The needs of the many are important. As are the needs of the few. Because more often than not, there's more of us "few" than you bloody well think.

Mini Musketeer
-18th April 2012, 13:05
Eh - Suppose Northern Ireland's out of the question then .....

purple
-18th April 2012, 13:19
One does not simply walk into Northen Ireland.

British Fencing
-20th April 2012, 10:00
2: What is BF doing to progress the case for improved protection of the hand from unbroken sabre blades after yet another UK fencer was injured this year in this way?

Comment by Peter Jacobs, chair of the BFA Safety Group:

In response to requests from the FIE Medical Commission (on which British Fencing has exerted considerable pressure) an FIE working group is currently looking at ways to improve safety at sabre - in particular in relation to injuries caused by blade penetration of clothing, notably gloves.

The group includes members of the FIE Medical and SEMI Commissions and representatives of manufacturers.

British Fencing does not plan to take any unilateral action in this matter but is waiting for the conclusions and recommendations of the FIE working group.

hokers
-20th April 2012, 10:32
Thanks David, Peter.
Just want to make sure this doesn't fall off the agenda. Exerting pressure was the exact phrase I was looking for, keep it up.

Can't help notice my first question wasn't answered, but not a great surprise. Perhaps someone could ask that question who is attending this evening? ;)