PDA

View Full Version : Jaffa Jaffa

PM1
-9th March 2004, 21:32
Back on Off Piste/first comp on Sunday, etc, we've gone a bit off topic and started waxing very lyrical about Jaffa Cakes - only a BIT off topic, as it is SO important to get one's priorities correct for the first comp.

NOW - which brand of Jaffas do we prefer?? McV's, Sanisbury's best, Asda's cheapies???

Not going to set up a poll (yet?), tho' we could do so. They seem to be an intrinsic part of any fencer's munchies, so I'd expect a good few comments here. C'mon - don't let us down, and think of our foreign friends who need to know which ones to send off copious amounts of money to buy!!!

(Note - must stock up before boy goes to the Worlds....)

Perhaps the best loved manufacturers could be talked into becoming new sponsors of fencing??????:grin: :grin:

Sarah
-9th March 2004, 21:40
Ever tried the jaffa cakes corner yogurt - very nice, and makes me feel better in the morning!
In answer to your question i think that mcV jaffa cakes are the best - more texture!

PM1
-9th March 2004, 21:44
How come i've missed the yogs????? now those i MUST buy.....

Boo Boo
-9th March 2004, 21:57
Originally posted by PM1
How come i've missed the yogs????? now those i MUST buy.....

Yes, I tried one at the end of last week - quite nice (although don't know if they will travel very well to Bulgaria... ;) ).

I am a purest for fencing competitions/training (i.e. McVs) - they are one fo the few things that I can normally bring myself to eat.... Can't really stand then any other time (about 10000th of my food list of choice...), although the M&S ones are okish.

Boo
(the very wierd bear...)

colliebeast
-9th March 2004, 22:47
its gotta be McV's
anything else is sub-standard! although you can get away with own brands as long as they are not VALUE never good, pay the extra 10p it's worth it!

pqg
-10th March 2004, 00:11
Burton's used to do good ones (and they sponsored us and gave us lots of free ones) but ultimately it has to be McVitie's. (Yes, I know they're now called McV's...)

On a related note - try jaffacake cocktails:
1 measure each of Blue Curacao, Cointreau and Tia Maria topped up with orange juice.
The result is bright green, looks disgusting, but ACTUALLY TASTES LIKE JAFFACAKES - very delicious if somewhat potent.

Probably best done after a competition rather than during though...

Rdb811
-10th March 2004, 00:15
The M&S ones were square, but had better quality chocolate and a 'fresher' texture for the sponge. Although the small M&S food halls at Victoria don't have them - I suspect it might be the usual thing with M&S of never being able to buy the same product twice. (apart from the racks of horrid grey trousers and sail cloth shirts)

Marcos
-10th March 2004, 08:35
I actually prefer Twix when fencing, however, over the last few weeks have tried Jaffa cakes, based on what I have read here, and they are good.

Only problem is if you don;t finish the pack they get stale very quickly. Not that they were never finished when I was a kid - Jaffa cakes dunked in ice cold milk - lovely.

Anyway, has to be the branded leader (and that goes for everything - particularly frozen food - Birds Eye is so much better than Own-Label)

Gav
-10th March 2004, 09:12
Have you guys ever had a Tunnocks Tea Cake? It's biscuit topped with cream coverd in chocolate. At the local Somerfields you can get them with a jaffa orangey bit in them - yummy!

Jambo
-10th March 2004, 11:07
Originally posted by Marcos

Anyway, has to be the branded leader (and that goes for everything - particularly frozen food - Birds Eye is so much better than Own-Label)

Pushing your sponsors there by any chance Marcos??

Naughty foilist
-10th March 2004, 15:27
Tunnocks Caramel, plain or milk, just carry the entire eight, probably better than tea cakes. Not as sticky,...

colliebeast
-10th March 2004, 17:27
Originally posted by Marcos

Only problem is if you don;t finish the pack they get stale very quickly.

What are you talking about?!?!?!? Do you not know any one at fencing comps!?!?!?!

If i am stupid enough to have a packet of jaffa cakes the likelihood of me getting more than one is slim to none, as the ravenous hordes descend!!!

Stale? Not a chance!
:grin:

UglyBug
-10th March 2004, 17:56
Thought I'd throw my penn'orths in -

Eat them away from the sabre Doc, if you want to have any that is

The BEST Jaffa Cake cocktail is simply Tia Maria and Orange Juice

And if we're pushing sponsors (Marcos!) Febreze is useful for kit bags - kit you can wash, bags just ming....

Rdb811
-10th March 2004, 20:02
Originally posted by Gav
Have you guys ever had a Tunnocks Tea Cake? It's biscuit topped with cream coverd in chocolate. At the local Somerfields you can get them with a jaffa orangey bit in them - yummy!

Yes, do enjoy them even if they are a bit sickly - not seen ones with oramge centres.

The Tunnocks Caramel are Ok ish - like Blue Ribbon - way down my lst of fave bsicuits.

PM1
-10th March 2004, 21:20
Yup - Tunnocks tea cakes for me daughter and McV's Jaffa for me son...how to cheer them up.

And add on the pounds for those of us who don't exercise...ah me....:(

Gav
-11th March 2004, 08:41
You guys have never had a Caramel log. It's like the caramel wafer only better - hmmmm.

pinkelephant
-11th March 2004, 10:51
Wagon Wheels:cookie:

bucket
-11th March 2004, 11:39
The only choccy biccy to have are chocolate hob nobs.

main problem with the others.

1. caramel wafers/logs never last long enough.

2. teacakes get squashed when bag gets thrown into car.

can never get Jaffa Cakes out of the kitchen before Nick (flatmate)/ Fran (her girlfriend) or anyone else who inhabits our kitchen has already eaten them. So can't transport them to Comp.

anyway, can use hob nob to dunk in coffee without the falling apart effect found with Jaffas.

Rdb811
-11th March 2004, 12:21
They are smaller than they used to be, aren't they ?

pinkelephant
-11th March 2004, 12:40
Sadly, yes.

Does everything shrink with age?

bufc99
-11th March 2004, 12:51
It's got to be McV's Jaffas. I've not seen Tunnocks anywhere yet but will keep my eye out for them next time I go shopping.

PM1
-11th March 2004, 17:53
No, pink elly - def not......sigh

devalleassoc
-12th March 2004, 04:45
HMMMMmmmm, I've only had McVites so far ('twas my first shipment!!) Totally, totally, yummy!!! It seems that I've got much catching up to do!!;)

devalleassoc
-12th March 2004, 04:48
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PM1
[B]Back on Off Piste/first comp on Sunday, etc, we've gone a bit off topic and started waxing very lyrical about Jaffa Cakes - only a BIT off topic, as it is SO important to get one's priorities correct for the first comp.
NOW - which brand of Jaffas do we prefer?? McV's, Sanisbury's best, Asda's cheapies???
Not going to set up a poll (yet?), tho' we could do so. QUOTE]

C'mon PM1, get that poll going!!! :)

PM1
-12th March 2004, 18:56
....well, I wonder which ones YOU will vote for........welcome to the made brit world..:)

devalleassoc
-12th March 2004, 19:27
Thank you, my pleasure!!:)

devalleassoc
-12th March 2004, 19:31
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PM1
[B]....well, I wonder which ones YOU will vote for........

Mc V's , of course!!:grin:

hayleyjade
-12th March 2004, 21:57
Originally posted by pinkelephant
Sadly, yes.

Does everything shrink with age?

yes! like creme eggs! lol! i really thought i was losing it one year when my mum bought us those really small ones! lol! i thought i had truly lost it, which is probs tru also! but hey!

symon
-14th March 2004, 21:40
Originally posted by Rdb811
The M&S ones were square, but had better quality chocolate and a 'fresher' texture for the sponge. Although the small M&S food halls at Victoria don't have them - I suspect it might be the usual thing with M&S of never being able to buy the same product twice. (apart from the racks of horrid grey trousers and sail cloth shirts)

M & S make square jaffa cakes?? ................ gonna have to go in buy some of them, even just to try 'em

Rdb811
-29th March 2004, 00:03
I've just had some Jaffa cakes from Belgium - called LU Pims - LU is part of Danone. Fluffier sponge than McVs - proper chocolate on top and a full coating of 'marmalade'. Fantastic - the problem is the price - they were 1.99 - I bought them from the deli under London Bridge (station) thinking they were biscuits. The good news is that they don't contain any calories - well, the box doesn't make any mention of them.;)

devalleassoc
-29th March 2004, 00:19
Ahh, yes!! LU PIMS, that's available here in the U.S. I must lok for them. Do they call them Jaffa Cakes?? (My last batch of Jaffas, I ordered from the U.K):)

PM1
-29th March 2004, 08:36
Hmm. Not come across the LU ones yet - will conduct research. They used to make a fab dinosaur shaped choc covered biscuit sold in France yonks ago when boy was into Stegasauri.....

And I don't think anyone else calls them Jaffa Cakes (but will check) because it should have been registered as a trade name, yes??

(Hope I can still work them into the getting minnyme regime):confused:

Naughty foilist
-29th March 2004, 11:33
Originally posted by PM1

(Hope I can still work them into the getting minnyme regime):confused: [/B]

1 point per Jaffa cake = lots of running up and down, but it works. My breeches look like clown pants at the moment, I no longer have to undo them to get changed, but I don't have to breathe in anymore to do up my lame.

On the down side 1 square of chocolate = 1 point.

Jaffas definitely look better in comparison. :)

Rdb811
-29th March 2004, 12:39
Originally posted by PM1

And I don't think anyone else calls them Jaffa Cakes (but will check) because it should have been registered as a trade name, yes??

There was a dispute between Burton's and McVities over whether or not they were a trade mark - can't remember the verdict.

The PiM's make no mention of 'Jaffa' - they are referred to as Fondant on the packet (which is why I thought they were cream biscuits). The ingredients uniformlly list them in utch/French/ German as "light cake with marmalade and chocolate covering".

They may have non-orange flavours.

devalleassoc
-29th March 2004, 12:44
"Fondant", Hmmmm, I must be on the lookout........:)

devalleassoc
-31st March 2004, 01:42
FOUND THEM!!!! Actually, they offer three flavors of the jammy part. I of course, being a purist, puchased the one with the orange filling. Really yummy, actually!!:)

PM1
-31st March 2004, 07:35
I can confirm that, as I type, Jaffa cakes are en route to Bulgaria with the cadet male epeeists. As I didn't provide them, don't know which variety they are, only that they are on their way......

J_D
-31st March 2004, 09:18
Just to be a little deviant (and why not?) I tend to go for Snickers and get my orangy bit from Lucozade:tongue:

devalleassoc
-31st March 2004, 13:27
I can see that...Do you take a bite, then a chug, to mix, and swallow??:grin:

J_D
-31st March 2004, 13:44
Hah! you really think I'd do that? I don't want orange nuts :moon:

devalleassoc
-31st March 2004, 14:12
HAH! HAH! I do that with bLAck coffee and choclate.....MOCHA!!!!:rolleyes:

Rdb811
-31st March 2004, 22:19
Originally posted by devalleassoc
FOUND THEM!!!! Actually, they offer three flavors of the jammy part. I of course, being a purist, puchased the one with the orange filling. Really yummy, actually!!:)

Woo hoo - I'll invetigate the other ones next time I see them.

devalleassoc
-1st April 2004, 00:09
Yesss!! And we want a full report!! (Complete with sound effects!!:grin: )

Rdb811
-2nd April 2004, 22:54
M&S have them at 3 for 2 -at the moment. They are also called Jaffa Cakes - so it isn't a trade mark.

devalleassoc
-3rd April 2004, 16:07
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rdb811
[B]M&S have them at 3 for 2 -at the moment. QUOTE]

WOW!! What a deal!! They are $3.00 US for one carton over here!! :eek:

uk_45
-3rd April 2004, 16:43
OK going to M&S on monday with 20!!!

Rdb811
-3rd April 2004, 16:57
Hmm - the M&S ones, although of much better quality than McV's, don't have quite enough sponge in proportion to the other ingredients and the sponge has a stiffer texture than the LU Pims or McVities. (Almost biscuity) Good chocolate but a bit sickly overall.

45 calories per biscuit, though !!!!!!:o

uk_45
-3rd April 2004, 17:10
Ok we need a ranking system for Jaffa Cakes Here!

devalleassoc
-3rd April 2004, 17:49
Great idea!! Okay, uk_45, you hve just been volunteered to come up wih one!! Although PM1, also seems pretty knowedgeable, perhaps a collaboration!! (I'm just too much of a novice!!);)

uk_45
-3rd April 2004, 17:56
That has to be the best oxymorron in english. to be vounteered!

devalleassoc
-3rd April 2004, 18:59
I know, isn't it great!!! (I've been volunteered many times for various...whatevers!!)

Ulrika
-4th April 2004, 07:22
I tried these for the first time when in Scotland for the Edinburgh Open, I can easily say that they're some of the most delicious cookies I've ever tried.

And beleive me I've tried a few!

devalleassoc
-4th April 2004, 17:46
Originally posted by Ulrika
I tried these for the first time when in Scotland for the Edinburgh Open, I can easily say that they're some of the most delicious cookies I've ever tried.

And beleive me I've tried a few!

I must agree with you Ulrika, having my first taste of these delectable little morsels just a few weeks back!

Now, how many is a few. Is is just a few, or a few too many??;)

uk_45
-4th April 2004, 21:25
Hmm yeah jaffa cakes great im liking there new little phrase!

"Here today; gone today"

devalleassoc
-4th April 2004, 23:17
Very catchy!!! Hmm, maybe "Here today:ZAP, gone"???:grin:

Ulrika
-5th April 2004, 07:26
Now, how many is a few. Is is just a few, or a few too many??;)
A few as in many and a few as in too many... *grabs what once was waist*

;)

devalleassoc
-5th April 2004, 13:47
Hmm, I see! I guess that I'll have to rethink my idea of "a few". (Usually more than enough, but not quite too much!):)

uk_45
-6th April 2004, 18:04
Ok im currently tucking in to a nice large box of tesco's and there very good to not as good as McVities but very nice id say 7/10.

devalleassoc
-6th April 2004, 18:09
HMMmmm, snacks,...I need snacks!!

uk_45
-6th April 2004, 18:12
Every one wait for a forthcoming scoring system for jaffa cakes as i used it on the tesco ones and it worked a treat. (no pun intended)

devalleassoc
-6th April 2004, 18:19
:spin:

PM1
-6th April 2004, 23:32
Hmm- will have to put my mind to a scoring system, but need zedds first.

Oh - really dipped out - saw a Bulgarian version of what looked like JC's - and then forgot to go back when the shop was open to buy any. Sorry........:(

devalleassoc
-7th April 2004, 01:03
zedds????? JC's????? Why am I confused??:dizzy:

PM1
-7th April 2004, 09:02
Zedd's = zzzz's, snoring, = sleep (just got back from Bulgaria/lots of travelling/very tired???)

JC's = Jaffa Cakes - the topic of this thread......

OK????

devalleassoc
-7th April 2004, 16:24
Originally posted by PM1
Zedd's = zzzz's, snoring, = sleep (just got back from Bulgaria/lots of travelling/very tired???)

JC's = Jaffa Cakes - the topic of this thread......

OK????

Okay, I figured out "zedds" after I posted. (It was late over here)

Actually, knew that I could count on you to help come up with a scoring system for Jaffas, as you seem to be quite the connoisseur!!:)

uk_45
-7th April 2004, 17:41
Ok here's the scoring system:

eat the Jaffa cakes slowly:

Rate the base out of 10, 10 should be soft but not falling apart.
Rate the orange bit out of 10, 10 should taste of real orange no chemicals
Rate the Choclate out of 10, we all know what makes good choclate
Rate the choclate: orange bit ratio out of 10, 10 should mean the choclate provides a good layer over the orange but there is enough orange, remeber there is no such thing as to much choclate.

Now to get the final grade take the average of all these ratings and divide it by 2327253.2782535^0 (^0 means to the power zero)

Simple or what!

devalleassoc
-7th April 2004, 18:22
AHHhhh yessss, I just love research!!

Rdb811
-11th April 2004, 22:27
M&S have tubs of min Jaffa's that get the balance between sponge, jam and chocolate a lot better.

gbm
-11th April 2004, 23:11
Originally posted by uk_45 Now to get the final grade take the average of all these ratings and divide it by 2327253.2782535^0 (^0 means to the power zero)[/B]

So we have a clever maths person eh...

devalleassoc
-12th April 2004, 00:12
It seems that we do!! (Are you any good at matth??) Well, I guess someone's got to do it!!:grin:

gbm
-12th April 2004, 08:17
I should be, I'm just finishing the first year of a four-year degree in Astrophysics. For anybody who doesn't know what 2327253.2782535^0 is, it's one. Any number to the power 0 is one, and dividing by 1 always gives the same answer, so anybody actually wishing to use uk_45's scoring system can simply ignore his last section as it doesn't do anything (apart from taking the average obviously).

pinkelephant
-12th April 2004, 09:11
I thought it was the p**s he was taking.

gbm
-12th April 2004, 09:30
He was, in a mathematical sort of way.

uk_45
-12th April 2004, 11:28
Nah i just wanted to see how long it took some one the work out what was wrong!

devalleassoc
-12th April 2004, 12:08
Originally posted by goodbadandme
I should be, I'm just finishing the first year of a four-year degree in Astrophysics.

Astrophysics!! Too cool. Actually, math is a good friend of mine as well, as I am an Architect! :)

PM1
-12th April 2004, 12:11
Yo!! Sarah /Boo - have discovered the yogs.....mmmmmMMMMmmm.......

devalleassoc
-12th April 2004, 12:34
Originally posted by PM1

There ya go again!! "YOGS"??
On with the rating system!!

PM1
-12th April 2004, 12:57
Who would have thought we spoke the same language.....Yogs = yoghurt. See very early posts. And they are made by Muller and are unlikely to travel, I guess.....sorry.....but you might have them anyway......

And the rating system later....much later.....but I will do it unless uk 45 gets in with a PROPER one before me....I AM surposed to be convalescent, you know.....

Oh yeah - I'm going to be writing to McV - see if they will take fencing on board - as per another thread and "fencing for food" and prizes - could this reboot the York Open ??

Or shall we have a virtual competition with Jaffas as prizes??

Will let you all know how I get on.....:grin: :grin:

devalleassoc
-12th April 2004, 13:18
Thanks for the inf!! (I'm catching on!!:) )
I can see it now, signs that read, "Will fence for Jaffas!!":grin:

Tarmac
-12th April 2004, 20:00
have you tried the ones they sell at LIDL? they're thinner but with a darker chocolate... mmmmmm

uk_45
-12th April 2004, 20:03
Feel free to use the ranking system above to rate them don't worry about any thing after work out the average as it makes no difference just me having a laugh

nirvana
-12th April 2004, 20:18
Originally posted by PM1

They r the worse yoghurts ever, made me feel ill.

devalleassoc
-13th April 2004, 00:19
Ahh hah!! It's a plot!! She's trying to poison us!!;)

Arturo
-13th April 2004, 07:03
Jaffa Cakes are the most popular biscuit in Bosnia. They taste identical to the UK McVities brand (possibly they're licensed out to a local company). The only difference is the name: Jaffa Keks.

Keks is the Bosnian word for biscuit, which amused me greatly in a British-schoolboy fashion when I first arrived. I sent home a packet of biscuits called Plazma Keks because the name tickled me.

Funniest name of biscuit definitely goes to Noblice, though.

On a similiarly vulgar note, there's a clothes shop in Zurich called Willy Korn.

If only That's Life was still on TV, I could write in and have my name read out during the willy-shaped vegetables section.

pinkelephant
-13th April 2004, 08:21
There's a shop in Ypres called Slapwinkel. And Dutch for whippped cream is slagroom.

Rdb811
-13th April 2004, 12:14
Originally posted by Arturo

Keks is the Bosnian word for biscuit, which amused me greatly in a British-schoolboy fashion when I first arrived.

Kecks being the Scouse for trousers

PM1
-13th April 2004, 12:32
...i thought it was slang for knickers???

And no, I NOT trying to poison you all (damndamndamn, found out AGAIN)......

devalleassoc
-13th April 2004, 13:04
;)

devalleassoc
-13th April 2004, 13:06
All this British slang!!! I'm going into sensory overload!!:dizzy:
I think I need to munch on a Jaffa!! (Pims)

PM1
-13th April 2004, 13:17
TOTALLY off topic, but on the lines of slang/misunderstandings, the mini bar in our room in Plovdiv was replenished daily (if you had used anything - ha!!) and there was a form that asked you to indicate which items you had consumated.....

devalleassoc
-13th April 2004, 13:23
Erm...... Too much potential...No comment, must have another Jaffa!! (That is pretty funny ya know!!) Jaffas for breakfast are actually pretty good!!:)

madfencer
-12th May 2004, 12:07
I luv jaffas (glad we've got another thing in common devalleassoc!!!!) mcv's r the best by far!!!!!!!!! jaffa cakes r gr8 4 mad people eh devalleassoc?????!!!!! ;) ;) lol!!!!!!!:sam: :sam:

SarahRhiannon
-12th May 2004, 12:37
Originally posted by Arturo
[B]Jaffa Cakes are the most popular biscuit in Bosnia. They taste identical to the UK McVities brand (possibly they're licensed out to a local company). The only difference is the name: Jaffa Keks.

See what you mean Arturo, was in Bosnia at weekend and found them everywhere.

devalleassoc
-12th May 2004, 22:42
Originally posted by madfencer
jaffa cakes r gr8 4 mad people eh devalleassoc?????!!!!! ;) ;) lol!!!!!!!:sam: :sam:

Damn right!! All that sugar and goodness (topped wiv a bit of caffeine...................and your off on your mad merry way!!:kit:

Neo
-12th May 2004, 23:03
Originally posted by Rdb811
(apart from the racks of horrid grey trousers and sail cloth shirts)

so that's where you get them! :grin:

Neo
-12th May 2004, 23:05
Originally posted by Gav

The Tunnocks factory is two minutes down the road from where I'm from... dunno if you can get em down here tho

Neo
-12th May 2004, 23:08
Originally posted by bucket
Nick (flatmate)/ Fran (her girlfriend)

ooooooooooooh! her? Can I watch? :grin:

Rdb811
-12th May 2004, 23:39
Originally posted by Neo
The Tunnocks factory is two minutes down the road from where I'm from... dunno if you can get em down here tho

Yes Tesco's and the garage by ny house.

Neo
-12th May 2004, 23:42
might be ideal for a drunken way-home-from-rogers-after-fencing snack :P

Rdb811
-13th May 2004, 00:04
It is open 24 hours - they also sell pizza, although that would mean using my kitchen.:eek:

Neo
-13th May 2004, 00:07
Nah that's what mobiles and domino's pizza menus are for (especially just before I realise I can't find my wallet :P)

Neo
-20th May 2004, 17:37
think some people may need this.

Jaffaholics Anonymous: 0500011710

(that's what it says on the side of the packet anyways :grin: )

Neo
-20th May 2004, 17:38
think some people may need this.

Jaffaholics Anonymous: 0500011710

(that's what it says on the side of the packet anyways :grin: )

strawberry
-20th May 2004, 19:31
Coop mini-jaffa cakes are really nice, but you can end up eating loads of them because it's easy to just take a few, then take a few more. I really like them though even though they are addictive.

gbm
-20th May 2004, 19:46
I can see you are going to fit right in!

By the way, since you have posted 11 messages in one day, I suspect you are currently the user with the highest post-per-day count! Which I think knocks me down to third place...

strawberry
-20th May 2004, 20:02
I suspect it's because I'm extremely bored and avoiding revision. And since I've only been here one day, I'm not going to have the most for long.

gbm
-20th May 2004, 20:13
I feel you deserve a second welcome!

strawberry
-20th May 2004, 20:15
Lol, now you're just trying to push your number of posts up.

gbm
-20th May 2004, 21:39
Sadly, posts in Chit-Chat don't count :(

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 01:44
Do they not?

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 08:54
Not anymore no. Somthing to do with the assoction game etc etc etc etc etc etc me thinks

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 09:36
Now we have to be more inventive.

Rdb811
-16th August 2004, 21:42

These are the LU Pims we're talking about - the expensive Belgian Jaffa cakes if you don't want to read the rest of the thread - I've got the Pear, Strawberry and Chocolate Mousse (well, I virtually never go through London Bridge - just as well given how much I spent in various del's this evening). I'll try them ou over the coming weeks.

Andy
-17th August 2004, 21:53
I like the Pimms ones (orange - other flavours haven't made it up north yet obviously) but I'm still a McV's man myself...

I have always wondered what a McV's / McD's experience would be, maybe a Jaffa McFlurry... There's a thought that's worth savouring.... Mmmmm...

A.

Rdb811
-28th August 2004, 12:12
The other flavours don't work as well as orange - pear was a bit odd - first time i'd seen something pear flavoured - th chocolate and strawberry were Ok.

Andy
-29th August 2004, 00:39
I spent a good 10 minutes in the biscuit (jaffa cake) isle of the supermarket today, I had one of those can't remember what I came here for moments (they get more frequent the older you get I'm told) and as I couldn't remember what I was there for I decided to do some research into the Jaffa Cake...

I now have McV's Tesco's own and the cheap (Value) ones, as well as one other brand that they had (can't remember which, they are down stairs now, and that's just too far to walk) I did some testing with both Ginger Beer and Milk and here are the results...

___________________Milk____Ginger Beer____On it's own
McV________________9 ______ 9 ___________9
Tesco______________8 ______ 8 ___________8
T Value_____________9 ______ 8 ___________ 8
Other Brand_________7 ______ 7 ____________7

(Marks out of 10 and the ___'s are there as it takes out all the spaces that I used originally)

Summary:

The Tesco's own brand and the Tesco's Value range had a sponge that was more dry than the McV's cakes while the third brand was much poorer in the chocolate department as although it was a better and more consistent covering than the other three, it was not as good (it didn't seem to melt in the same way as the other brands) The Value preformed well in the milk dunk event, and actually out preformed the 'own brand' in that event as the latter seemed not to hold up as well where the chocolate meets the sponge there was some dissolvation (if that's a word - well I'm sure that it is in America - they seem to be able to abuse English in this way...) in this area.

Conclusion:

If money is not an issue then the McV's win hands down, but if Quantity is an issue for you then maybe consider the Value Range (it is also available in a 'double box' which is obviously twice the fun)

Hope that you all take the taste challenge and post your results here then maybe we can work out a league as we get more results in....

A.

27ab1c
-29th August 2004, 08:44
I take it you don't get out much, except for the supermarket.

Andy
-30th August 2004, 09:55
You know me so well, All I seem to do at the moment is Work / Fence / Shop... It's no life really...

But I did find out about the new 'Ginger Slab Cake' Tosco's own!

Doesn't dunk well, but has small bits of real ginger in it, it's moist and yummy, it's currently on the end of an isle as it's on offer (it's new they do that).... Give it a go..

And yes I am working on sponsorship from Tosco's cake department... LOL

A.

27ab1c
-30th August 2004, 19:47
Sounds good - I'm on the case, clubcard at the ready

gbm
-3rd September 2004, 20:00
As it happens, I work for Sainsburys... :confused:

uk_45
-3rd September 2004, 21:16
ok Necter card at the ready!