PDA

View Full Version : can ne1 juggle here?

madfencer
-10th March 2004, 10:06
totally random but can any1 juggle here? i was gonna join the guernsey circus but it closed down b4 i could join and they didnt even kno i was joining!! (even more reason 4 them 2 close down!!!) i can juggle and tight-rope walk!! if any1 can juggle here, how do u juggle wiv 4 balls? i can juggle 3, 2 in one hand, 2 under the leg and several other tricks. i can juggle oranges and other stuff and have tried knives.(!!!!)
:juggle:

Sarah
-10th March 2004, 11:34
Wow you are so talented! How did you learn how to tight rope walk?

Gav
-10th March 2004, 11:46
Juggling is something that I never quite got the hang of.

madfencer
-10th March 2004, 11:51
wouldnt say i was talented m8!!!!!!! wen i was ten i had a go at a tight rope wkshop thing and walked across a rope across a road only bout 2ft high but i didnt fall off and everyone else did bout 10 times!!!!!!! every1 had help-like guys holdin em but i didnt and walked all the way across!!!!!!! dont matter jst wundered thanx neway!!!!!!!

madfencer
-10th March 2004, 11:53
well Gav, if ya wanna meet sum time (dont worry i trust u and ask oddball shell tell u im not a pedofile or anything!!!!-lol!!!!) i cld always teach ya?!!!!! and u cld giv me sum fencing tips!!!!!!!!
-x-

pqg
-10th March 2004, 12:26
Juggling is actually good training for fencing - it develops the peripheral vision needed to know where your point (and your opponents point) is without following it with your eyes. (also to react quickly to their steps without staring at their feet)

You can always take advantage of an inexperienced epeeist not using peripheral vision: let your hand drift stupidly wide and watch their head (and blade) follow as if it's attched by string...

And if you can juggle 2 balls in 1 hand, then try doing it with your left hand. Once you've mastered that, try 2 in each hand - voila 4 balls juggled the easy way.

For 5, it's back to the same technique as 3 but thrown a lot higher. (You want to be throwing the 3rd ball when the 1st is at its apex)

madfencer
-11th March 2004, 09:59
thank u sooooooooo much i didnt kno it was good 4 fencing-i havent juggled in ages now!!!!!!!! I can only juggle two balls in one hand in me left hand as im left handed and find it hard in me right. i take it u can juggle then?! cool!!!!
thanx for the help wiv 4 or 5 balls ill try wot u said and consult me juggling books. :-) thanx ive been trying 4 four balls 4 like ages!!!!!!!!!!!

bufc99
-11th March 2004, 12:46
Nope. I could never manage juggling. The only circussy thing I do is to play with Fire poi instead and am pretty naff at that. I can onnly manage 2 beat, 3 beat, corkscrew and cross. I've only had my own for a couple of weeks so not that long really.

madfencer
-11th March 2004, 15:18
very sorry, and you may think im stupid as im into circussy stuff, but whats a Fire Poi? wot exactly do u do wiv it? never heard of it in my life!!!!!!! :confused:

bufc99
-12th March 2004, 10:17
Don't worry, you're not stupid. I only heard of them because a friend started to do it. Now he's taken up firestaff as well.

A fire poi is basically a bit of kevlar wicking rolled up into a cylinder on the end fo a bit of chain, handles at the other end to hold onto of course. Then you soak in Parrafin (Kerosene in america), shake off the excess and light. Then you swing around to make pretty patterns of flame. THis helps to improve your spacial awareness a fair bit in my opinion and also just generally. If you want to learn then get 2 pairs of socks and gaffa one pair onto the end of a bit of rope so that the total length is from your armpit to the nd fo your fingers. Dot his for both pairs and then swing. Use socks so you don't hurt yourself when practising. If you don't mind paying the postage then you can buy cool LED ones to practise with but these are a bit light.

For more info and free online lessons go to Home of Poi (http://www.homeofpoi.com) It's in New Zealand but hey, there's free online lessons.

madfencer
-12th March 2004, 11:36
and fire staff is?
fire poi sounds cool! thanks 4 the link.

madfencer
-12th March 2004, 11:49
that house of hell story is awful didnt that put u off a bit??!!!!!!!

bufc99
-12th March 2004, 11:53
Firestaff si sort of the same btu a staff not chains.

They come in differenet sizes but the one my friend has got is about 6ft. He's only about 5'8". Again it has kevalr wicking wrapped around bothe ends. soak in parrafin (kerosene in the us), shake off the exces and light. Then twirl to make pretty patterns.

The other day whilst practicing he took his nice expensive fleece off and put it in the corner of teh garden out of the way where ti would eb safe. Started twirling, missed a catch from a triple spin throw and the staff bounced across the garden and one end landed on his fleece that was nice and safe in the corner. Consequently most of the back of this fleece plasticised a bit and we ended up going shopping after lectures to buy him a new one.

There are also staff lessons on Home of Poi (http://www.homeofpoi.com) if you're interestd.

I don't have a staff of my own, that's next student loan, but I practice with a 69p broom handle wrapped in insulation tape as it splinters a bit. One colour tape covers the whole thing, then another colour to mark the balance point (important for throwing and catching) and the ends where the wicking would be (important so you know how close to the end you can hold).

I will add to this essay by saying that the flames don't really burn. If I stand with my poi held by my sides still then the flames will engulf my hands, poi only really burn if you wrap the chains around yourself as the metal get's bl**dy hot. With staff you've got to hit yourself with a flaming end for it to actually hurt.

Essay over, for now at least.

madfencer
-12th March 2004, 12:15
cool, cant reply prop. got lessons now!

bufc99
-12th March 2004, 13:23
I forgot, some peole have lessons. I'm at uni and on my particular course attendance of everything is optional but they still want to try to take an attendance somehow. In the end they decided to use the common lectures for every year, so mine is a team project one. We have weekly meetings with a lecturer to discuss progress (or lack thereof) and if we can't make it, we just e-mail him and he'll mark us as being there anyway. My timetable for this semester is particularly nice.

BUFC99's timetable (http://studentweb.cs.bham.ac.uk/~ug24sxc/timetable.htm)

Well towards the end of the week that is. I'm not that keen on monday's though he usually finishes about 6:15 so I actually have time ot get home and eat somethign before fencing starts at 8.

PS. Apologies for the awful spelling. When you use computers as much as I do (I study Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science) you end up typing stupidly fast, one of the consequences being that you end up mis-spelling words. I am getting better though as I have recently adopted a new position to hold my hands in which seem s to make it easier for me to hit the right key each time.

madfencer
-12th March 2004, 14:42
heya, im bk (ud never hav guessed!!!!!! lol!!!!!!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ur timetable is strange, u like mondays but u hav most lessons on that day!!!!!! ur mad (well u hav 2 b 2 b a fencer!!!!!! lol!!) my fav. day is fridays: a. because i hav double biology and i love biology b. coz i sleep at my best frendz house every friday and c. because i can get quite tipsy wivout me parents knowing!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!

madfencer
-12th March 2004, 14:44
so wot r u studying exactly at uni? wot uni. do u go 2? 1 of me m8s Naveen Rahman who fences goes to Durham Uni. studying languages shes gonna b an officer in the army!!!!!! sum1 else i kno Keith Corbet who also fences goes to Durham Uni. bt i duno wot hes studying!

hayleyjade
-12th March 2004, 22:00
hmn just thought id add, i cant juggle! LOL! teehee!

Prometheus
-12th March 2004, 22:33
I've never heard a better argument for eugenics yet.....!

bufc99
-14th March 2004, 19:15
I'm currentlyat Birmingham University studying Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science in my 2nd year. It's hard and the chances of me getting throug this year re slim to none but I'll give it a go anyway.

madfencer
-15th March 2004, 11:44
sounds cool, artificial intelligence!!?!!!!!!!!!! u james bond wannabe!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!
im sure ull get through it, just keep a level head and good luck!!!!!!!!!

madfencer
-15th March 2004, 11:45
Originally posted by hayleyjade
hmn just thought id add, i cant juggle! LOL! teehee!
lol!!!!!! well thanx 4 coming onto this thread anyway!!!!!!!! well done 4 wasting ur time!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!

bufc99
-15th March 2004, 12:51
Cheers madfencer. I hope I'll get through it but if the exams go anywhere near like how my Prolog is at the moment then I'm screwed. It's nearly impossible to implement a good minimax search with alpha-beta pruning on a Checkers board in Prolog.

Before someone say's what the he** is that I'll explain.

For our team project we decided to do checkers. Prolog is an pbscure programming language where you have to do almost everything by pattern matching. There are no loops only recursion and once a variable has been given a value, it can't be given a different one. Minimax is a search algorithm for working out what the best choice is, in this case, what the best move to make is. Alpha-beta pruning is a technique used on a minimax search tree to try to save time. It looks at the values after only generating a little bit of the tree and then prunes away parts of it that look like they aren't going to be any good. Combine these and a nice set of board rating heuristics (a sort of a set of rules if you like) from chinook (a famous computer program that plays checkers) and you get a very large headache.

bufc99
-15th March 2004, 12:52
Sorry mod's for going a little bit off-topic here but my brain is totally fried. We'll get back to circus tricks soon I promise.

madfencer
-19th March 2004, 12:05
wow, ur brain really is fried. back to circussy stuff. please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!