PDA

View Full Version : coaching kit?

DrT
-10th March 2004, 13:29
I'm thinking about getting a coaching jacket and epee sleeve at some point (when I get fed up with the filth on my whites and the bruises on my arm). Any suggestions on where to get decent, good value kit?

Thanks!

Winwaloe
-12th March 2004, 14:07
Leon Paul?

whizzkid1982
-12th March 2004, 14:09
Originally posted by Winwaloe
Leon Paul?
i would leave out the question mark. leon paul coaching kit is almost certainly the best around

DrT
-12th March 2004, 14:31
that looks like an easy choice then! Anyone got experience with other makes?

Prometheus
-12th March 2004, 14:47
Yes.

I use the Allstar coaches plastron. This has foam inserts that can be removed if necessary. It does the job but you would need the sleeve if you want to coach epee much the same as the LP one.

Never fancied a sleeved plastron as I mainly coach foil and these plastrons can be quite warming ;)

Leather coaching gear is way better than the cheaper materials - they seem to lose their quality in time (the canvas stuff can get worn and holed) whereas the leather just lasts & lasts.

DrT
-22nd March 2004, 12:24
do people generally wear a plaston with no sleeves and a big epee sleeve? Is there a safety problem with that if weapons go under the arm?

How about plastrons with short sleeves? Like you say, the long sleeved version must get a bit warm.

Prometheus
-29th March 2004, 10:32
hmmm - I'm now considering the benefits of a sleeved jacket (more epeeists to coach). Only problem I can think of with it is the durability. You don't want to replace the whole jacket because of a worn hole in the sleeve.

So I think I'll go for the ensemble approach still.

Peter Pan
-29th March 2004, 11:43
I spent a long time looking at the options (I coach mainly children foil & sabre) and ended up choosing the two sleeved LP jacket fetchingly modelled on the LP site by Ian Williams. It looked nice, had a high spec and seemed the best value. When it arrived, I found it impossibly bulky and very uncomfortable & sweaty. Maybe I fill it out more than I should but the sleeves were so thick I couldnt move.

So, I cut the sleeves off - this is very easy as both the sleeves and the body have strong seams before they're joined, then I opened the seam at the top of one arm and removed about two thirds of the wadding. What's left is enough to keep the sleeve in place and slightly padded, and I am also left with a spare sleeve!

So apart from the need to tailor it for my own needs, I'm very pleased with it and it still seems good value. Its much easier and cooler to wear without fixed sleeves. And epee coaches could keep a thick and a thin sleeve to choose depending on what they were working on!

Prometheus
-29th March 2004, 12:23
I've been considering the Leather sleeve and integral glove (Allstar) for epee coaching as the quilted sleeve I have been using has proved difficult not only for the wear it's undergone but also it has a thumb hole which (I must have weedy thumbs) doesn't seem to fit well with me.

Only problem with this scenario is if I wish to use it on the left arm instead of my normal right. Or am I being silly doing left handed epee lessons?:rolleyes:

DrT
-29th March 2004, 14:03
I've been borrowing an old quilted sleeve with a thumbhole, and I find it quite awkward. Maybe its a case of getting used to it (maybe I have weedy thumbs too!), but I find it very difficult to manipulate the blade with the fingers while holding it. Not very good for demonstrating technique...

Is this the sleeve you're talking about?

http://www.allstar-fencing.co.uk/jpgs/mal.jpg

I wasn't sure when you said "integral glove". The stuff on the Allstar site certainly looks nice.

DonJaime - It would be nice to have the long and short sleeve versions, but I'm not sure the funds will stretch that far at the moment! Perhaps, with the summer coming up, I'll try to get a short sleeved jacket and separate sleeve so I don't drown in my own sweat!
:help:

wingnutLP
-29th March 2004, 14:24
I just wanted to point out that because LP manufacture in the UK we can repair coaching gear if it does get small holes in it. This makes it a wise long term investment.

I suspect that it is a little harder to persuade the companies who import kit to undertake repairs.

Also if you have not seen it our coaching mask :
http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Coaching_masks.html
is "the daddy"!

Prometheus
-29th March 2004, 15:08
Originally posted by DrT
I've been borrowing an old quilted sleeve with a thumbhole, and I find it quite awkward. Maybe its a case of getting used to it (maybe I have weedy thumbs too!), but I find it very difficult to manipulate the blade with the fingers while holding it. Not very good for demonstrating technique...?

Indeed. I guess you get what you pay for? Sorry, in fencing you never get what you pay for, in this case you get even less ;) . I felt compelled to say that after Wingnut's balant attempt to flog the new LP mask in the last post :)

Originally posted by DrT

Is this the sleeve you're talking about?

http://www.allstar-fencing.co.uk/jpgs/mal.jpg

I wasn't sure when you said "integral glove". The stuff on the Allstar site certainly looks nice.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes-ish but there is no picture of the sleeve with integral glove that I could find on the UK site but if you check the German site it shows many options with integral glove:

www.allstar.de (https://www.allstar.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostTep&file=index&cPath=15&popup=1)

I don't know if it's an advantage to have an integral glove though.

wingnutLP
-30th March 2004, 06:22
I am not that bothered about flogging coaching gear. It is a pain it takes hours to make, blunts the needles, puts the tailor in a bad mood and we make only enough of a markup to cover our costs!:)

To be honest I just really like the mask. I think it is one of the better new products we have produced recently and would like to see more coaches wearing it!