PDA

View Full Version : European U23 Championships

Foilling Around
-24th May 2012, 19:01
These start in Bratislava tomorrow. Is it just me or has there been no announcement of a team and indeed no acknowledgement on its existence on the BF website.

Nor can I find and mention of it here on the forum.

I know there are a couple of GBR fencers going, but nothing more than that.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-24th May 2012, 19:35
These start in Bratislava tomorrow. Is it just me or has there been no announcement of a team and indeed no acknowledgement on its existence on the BF website.

Nor can I find and mention of it here on the forum.

I know there are a couple of GBR fencers going, but nothing more than that.

Who's going? Good luck whoever they are.

jmayle
-24th May 2012, 19:50
Who's going? Good luck whoever they are.

WF Elizabeth Ng
MF Ben Peggs

No Epee and no sabre.

Sure there must have been some good candidates at this age group, why have we not sent any and to miss the opportunity to field some young teams for experience seems a little short sighted as well, especially as BF are flying the LTD flag.

Bratislava is quite easy to get to now the holiday season has started and the hotels are both affordable with great food, whats not to like.

Foilling Around
-24th May 2012, 22:32
It does seem wired, a lots of the development fencers are 1989 birthdays or younger so I can't see why they haven't gone.

riposteinprime
-24th May 2012, 22:38
Classic British Fencing right here.

dtd
-24th May 2012, 23:21
It does seem wired, a lots of the development fencers are 1989 birthdays or younger so I can't see why they haven't gone.

University exam season?

pinkelephant
-25th May 2012, 00:24
Classic British Fencing right here.

Why the automatic assumption that British Fencing have prevented people from going? It's an impossible time of year for anybody in education. Perhaps nobody else of a sufficient standing wanted or was able to go.

scottishsabreur
-25th May 2012, 09:23
In fairness Mavis, BF are not good at advertising this opportunity to U23 fencers and not all U23 fencers are in education.

I don't think BF take the U23 curcuit too seriously which is a shame as Italy, Hungary, Germany and a few others all seem to send fencers to these events.

J4G
-25th May 2012, 09:32
Why the automatic assumption that British Fencing have prevented people from going? It's an impossible time of year for anybody in education. Perhaps nobody else of a sufficient standing wanted or was able to go.

I have heard that the performance manager was not bothered by this and had to contemplate approve LNG going. There was plenty of interest in MF in the top 50 although im not sure how far up the rankings that goes. There are lots of U23 fencers in the top 15 of MF.

As you say as well however, this isn't advertised very well (if at all) and so no one knows about the U23 circuit.

Lefty Foilist
-25th May 2012, 09:34

I didn't notice RIP say anything about BF preventing people from going. I interpreted the comment as criticising BF for not announcing that Ng and Peggs were going out there for community and well wishes' sake.
It doesn't strike me as a big tournament in the same way as normal cadet/junior/senior Euros and Worlds (with regard to image), but it's nice to know comps like this exist letalone know we have Brits going over there. Not acknowledging beforehand that they're going gives me an impression that no-one is bothered about the effort.

Good luck to them, solid pair of foilists.

Tubby
-25th May 2012, 16:28
In previous years BF asked if anyone wanted to be considered for selection. I can't remember if this happened for this year. However, daughter, who is an U23 epeeist, was not available for selection.

Foilling Around
-25th May 2012, 17:59
That is my main point, that there was nothing to ask if anyone was interested. As far as I know there was no direct communication with potentially interested fencers and there was nothing at all on the website. I was not saying BF had prevented anyone, just that noone had encouraged people to apply.

Foilling Around
-25th May 2012, 18:00
Although seeing Liz's Facebook post, the entry fee of 120Euros may have put some people off!

nung
-25th May 2012, 19:46
Although seeing Liz's Facebook post, the entry fee of 120Euros may have put some people off!

The entry fee was 40 euros, but they put on an extra 80 euros two days or so before the event :(

Bongo
-26th May 2012, 09:18
Is this an event that requires you being selected, or one that anyone can do if they are willing to pay all the assorted costs?

Tubby
-27th May 2012, 00:46
Polish twins Hanna and Marta Lyczbinska contest the WF final. The elder won. Liz finished 18th.

Foilling Around
-27th May 2012, 07:46
Some very good fencers finished further down the L32 so Liz must have had a good poule. Good luck to Ben.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anothermum
-27th May 2012, 08:52
33 fencers present - 25 qualified.
Liz was 3up 3down and ranked 17th after the poule.
In the incomplete L32 she met IVANOVA Anastasia going out 8/15 and finished 18th.

anothermum
-28th May 2012, 07:21
Men's foil
46 fencers present, 35 qualifiers. Ben was 2V4D and unfortunately the first fencer not to make the cut finishing 36th.
Italians take 1, 2 and 3 - Tommaso Lari, Daniele Garozzo, Francesco Trani with Dmitry Komissarov of Russia taking the other bronze medal.

riposteinprime
-1st June 2012, 20:25

Hi was more about that no one from BF really cared enough to put an effort into this despite it being an incredibly strong and well attended event. Prospects for 2016? Look right here - this is your competition.

Classic British Fencing. A sport run by administrators, for administrators.

Edit: apologies, two top class athletes and top class people made the effort. Hope to see them flying the flag high over the next quads.

Fencer91
-1st June 2012, 20:58
Newton wasn't that bothered about sending fencers to this. I have numerous friends of sufficient standing who asked and were denied the opportunity. She wasn't even that keen on sending L. NG

dtd
-1st June 2012, 21:08
Newton wasn't that bothered about sending fencers to this. I have numerous friends of sufficient standing who asked and were denied the opportunity. She wasn't even that keen on sending L. NG

So how does this fit in with the policy of Long Term Development? Answers on a postcard please ......

Fencer91
-1st June 2012, 21:16
Also issues of selection aside would this not have been a good event to send Honeybone (I think he is still in the age category - though correct me if I'm wrong) and Williams too, giving them confidence and if anything potentially adding weight to the decisions made

dtd
-1st June 2012, 21:35
I believe James Honeybone has a 91 DOB.

Bongo
-4th June 2012, 17:55
Sorry, is this a competition for selected fencers only?

MatFink
-4th June 2012, 18:00
Anyone who is serious about a medal in 2016, who was eligible and not already competing at the top of the seniors should have been at this event.

I would not be at all surprised if some of the medallist here appear on the podium in 2016.

Egorian RUS at Women's Sabre is definitely one to watch, having seen her fence in London and also in Bratislava this year.

allthree
-5th June 2012, 12:15
Sending fencers to the U23 cannot be seen like the Olympics, as deveopment for the future, as they are at an age groups where they will succeed or fail. As the person in charge if I dont want it to appear there has been a failure on my cv then best not to send them!

Personally I think maybe we should send full teams to these events, if Olympic medals are beyond all but a very few than lets at least reward our fencers for the effort they are putting into the sport by giving them the motivation to keep going. In the long run we will then need to harvest every scrap of experience they gain to keep improving and motivating the next generation.