PDA

View Full Version : more fencers? - easy

James
-7th May 2003, 09:47
ive noticed that a lot of people on this board think that its going to be difficult to get more interest in fencing
and ive had an idea
and im interested in whether it has been tried and tested
and/or failed
surely it would be quite easy to get younger children interested
at the age where the idea of a sport where you get to stab someone with a sword sounds great
if a fencing club was to do a demonstration at say a school fair
it could get tons of kids along
it might be difficult to keep them interested
but surely it could help improve things?
and with the cool looking kids fencing equipment you can get
(the plastic stuff not the foam)
it could work really well

any thoughts?

James

calefacient
-12th May 2003, 12:22
Nice idea but it would never work. In these days of endless litigation, most schools would be terrified of introducing fencing into their PE curriculum for fear of parents suing them if their little darling got a bruise or minor cut.

We are fast approaching the day when clubs will probably have to get all members to sign disclaimers (as already happens with paintballing places) that waives their right to sue in the event of injury.

James
-12th May 2003, 12:32
this world we live in disgusts me

Mhairi
-12th May 2003, 12:38
The problem is that teenagers don't like to get into things which interrupt their oh so vital social life. Another thing they don't like is exerting themselves.

Other people don't join fencing because it's seen as poncy, or gay, or they just never think about and don't know of any clubs near them.

I think mostly it doesn't get enough publicity and in half the films it's used in the guys are wearing tights, which kind of puts a man off.

srb
-12th May 2003, 12:57
Swindon Fencing Club does an all day display at the local Outlet Shopping Centre, during the January Sales. It gets tremendous crowds, and generates new members for the club.

It gets so much interest that Outlet Centre actually invites the club down, not the other way around.

The only down side this year was that I was one of the Sales Shoppers, saw the fencing, dug my kit out of the loft and started fencing again, which has been very bad for my bank balance.

Swindon currently has 72 active regular fencers of which 40 are juniors. The club is planning another two displays this year.

srb

Aoife
-12th May 2003, 13:09
The problem is that teenagers don't like to get into things which interrupt their oh so vital social life.

A social life? You've been going around getting a sociail life without me Mhairi. I'm upset! :(

Hudson
-12th May 2003, 17:43
You don't have time for a social life, it should be revision, nose to the grindstone all the time :grin:
And only time off for fencing of course.

Mischa
-12th May 2003, 18:21
Originally posted by James
this world we live in disgusts me

Well, yeh, but what can you do?

Jambo
-12th May 2003, 18:47
Allan Skipp is setting a scheme like that up as we speak. Based in Durham/Newcastle he's traing up uni fencers with club leader and sending them into schools to do starter lessons.

Dunno if its going on anywhere else.