PDA

View Full Version : Weird Knee Problem

Gav
-22nd June 2012, 10:38
I'm trying to organise a visit to see someone about this but in the meantime I thought I would ask around to see if anyone has come across it.

I have a strange knee pain. My knee isn't sore when I am not doing anything; nor is it sore when I move. I have full range of motion (so far as I can tell). There's no swelling or bruising or any obvious physical indicators of damage.

But it does get painful when any sort of pressure is applied at a particular point, at the top edge of the kneecap in the middle.

So if I prod this area it's agony (and I mean real teeth clenching "let's not do that again ever" agony).

I suspect a cartilage injury but it's not something I've come across. This point as been sore for about a week - 10 days now.

TBennett
-22nd June 2012, 10:50
Are you able to do a single leg squat on said leg without pain?

jamesthornton
-22nd June 2012, 12:13
Gav,

sounds very similar to an injury i had which is patella tendonopothy or jumpers knee. painfull at times but not to bad an injury not a lot of treatment though other than gym rehab. worth seeing a good sports physio to get checke dout though.

Almiz
-22nd June 2012, 16:59
So if I prod this area it's agony (and I mean real teeth clenching "let's not do that again ever" agony).

But there is still the urge to poke it just to check if it does still hurt.

Gav
-3rd July 2012, 11:22
But there is still the urge to poke it just to check if it does still hurt.

Yes.

Well at least the physio seemed to enjoy poking me there. She has pronounced it "gammy".

It's suspected to be bursa related but if things don't improve over the next couple of weeks I am off for an xray. Got a ton of homework to do.

Tom: Yeah I can do a single leg squat.
Jamie: I agree it's similar to the jumpers knee problem - I have to do a ton of stretching and (after enduring a lot of tutting) I've had to agree to go back to the gym...

coach carson
-3rd July 2012, 11:31
Are you able to do a single leg squat on said leg without pain?

Has Gav EVER been able to do a single leg squat?

Gav
-3rd July 2012, 11:32
Has Gav EVER been able to do a single leg squat?

Oi! Yes. Not well but yes!

Rudd
-4th July 2012, 12:28
The pain for jumper's knee is usually localized at the bottom of the knee cap where the patella tendon attaches.

Top of the knee cap is usually quad related, so either a quad strain or quad tendon inflammation.

X-ray will rule out anything structural and should also pick up any arthritic degeneration. You'll need an MRI or similar for anything soft tissue related.

Gav
-4th July 2012, 12:51
Yeah that chimes with what the physio is saying. It's not so bad. I have full movement and I do my best to not bang it or anything. I just want it to get better quickly - because when I do accidentally catch it... oh the agony.

TBennett
-6th July 2012, 13:53
Good to know you can...! My knee can't support my weight sometimes if I put my weight through it and am glad you don't have the same thing.. Does mean I can't help though it seems others know whats going on.. Hope it fixes itself (or more likely, you are able to fix it!)

Spider5
-6th July 2012, 15:12
Oi! Yes. Not well but yes!

Pistol squats for Mr Gav next week then. Gotta show the youngsters proper technique though :-)

ps I'm only jealous cos I can't do them anymore....

Matt Filroy
-16th July 2012, 23:53
What'd the doc say?