PDA

View Full Version : Carol Wengraf

LynR
-24th June 2012, 21:16
It is with great sadness and regret that we report the death of Carol Wengraf on Saturday 23rd June 2012. Carol, who had been ill for some time, was much admired by all not only for her passion for fencing but also her kind and generous nature. Carol died whilst doing one of the things she loved and enjoyed the most, fencing, on the piste during the Celtic Challenge in Galacia, Spain.
Carol will be greatly missed by all knew her and we offer our sincere condolences to David, her son and all her family at this time.
Mike Norfolk (Chair, committee and all the Welsh Veterans)

benjt
-24th June 2012, 22:48
Very sad news indeed, my thoughts are with David and the family.

My deepest condolences

Ben Thomas

coach carson
-25th June 2012, 06:46
Beautiful sparkly lady. How sad.

M'son
-25th June 2012, 09:53
Condolences to Carol's family.
She will be sorely missed on the Vets circit. She had such a radient smile and was always so kind and encouraging. It was a great privilege to know her.
I do hope she was winning fights and enjoying herself. She was one who would have liked to go out with a bang!
Thanks Carol for all the encouargement, commiserations and converastions. RIP

max
-25th June 2012, 10:13
I was saddened to hear the news of Carol's untimely passing. As others have said, she was a wonderful person, always had a smile on her face and I never saw her downcast.

Carol will be sorely missed.

pinkelephant
-25th June 2012, 10:22
A lovely, lovely lady - with a wicked sense of humour. She really will be missed.

nickos
-25th June 2012, 12:13
Very sad to hear that Carol is no longer with us.

She will be missed by many, especially the folk from Yorkshire and Wales.

fencerparent
-25th June 2012, 23:50
Very sorry to hear this news. Carol will be remembered in Yorkshire not just by the veterans but also by the younger fencers, she was a great supporter of the Yorkshire Youth competitions. The only positive note is that she was doing something she loved, and she would not have wanted to fade away far from the piste.

Thinking of her family and friends.

Baldric
-26th June 2012, 06:00
What very sad news.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Ray

Stormtrooper
-26th June 2012, 07:38
The Cornish Celtic Challenge Team send their most sincere condolences to David and all of Carolís family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this very sad time.
She was a great lady and a very dear friend.

bafco
-26th June 2012, 09:27
Is there any news on the funeral, there are certainly fencers from a number of places who would like to go and pay their last respects.

PLS-F
-26th June 2012, 10:15
Carol was cremated in Santiago de Compostela and we brought her ashes home yesterday, David met the plane to collect them. He is very much in shock at present but is aware that there are many fencers who would like to pay their respects as well as many medics and choral singers. I am sure that should he decide to hold a memorial we will all be informed.

late starter
-26th June 2012, 17:58
It is difficult to describe in words the events and emotions of the weekend. Carol collapsed on the piste during the women's foil event on Saturday afternoon already having fenced sabre earlier in the day and had commented on how she was enjoying the foil.

She collapsed suddenly and did not regain consciousness nor respond but we carried out CPR until the ambulance arrived and the medics pronounc...ed her dead. We tried to save her and after a short time knew we couldn't but did not give up until we were told to stop.

I cannot express in words how grateful we all are, especially the Welsh Vets team, to our Galician friends for the kindness, love and respect they showed us, and to Carol in her death; and the Spanish authorities too were wonderful. The gestures our Galician friends made were so thoughtful and respectful. They laid out the Welsh flag on the piste where Carol had died after her body had been taken away and lowered all the flags on the wall.

Carol had always said that if she died during a competition that we were not to stop the rest of the event and we all agreed to continue the next day and to still hold the gala dinner that evening in her honour. It was a good evening and it was dedicated to her.

When we arrived back at the sports hall on Sunday there were flowers on the flag. One of the Galician fencers was wearing a black armband. We all agreed that Viv, one of the Scottish fencers would fence as honorary Welsh for Carol so that we would still have a Welsh team.

Before the finals every single fencer joined together in a large circle and linked arms around shoulders for a minute's silence and whilst we bowed our heads the Welsh National anthem was quietly played. This was such an unexpected and poignant gesture that I was not the only one who sobbed. During the medal presentations one of the Galician fencers wore a Welsh tracksuit top in Carol's honour.

Despite the sadness of everything I must say it was so heart warming to feel the love and empathy, and Carol would have been honoured and proud. I am sure she was smiling down at us.

To our Galician friends - muchas gracias and besos :-). We will never forget.

Carol's team medals have gone to her family.

It is hard to see a friend die and Carol was a good friend to me from the moment I joined the Welsh Vets in many ways and to me was 'Auntie Carol'. We shared some very happy times and sad times too and she was always there for me.

'Auntie Carol' I will miss you so much. xxx

My sincere condolences to David and his family

Gilly (Gillian Aghajan)

PLS-F
-27th June 2012, 11:21
Morning everyone,
Thanks for all your support. It's been a great help over the last few days.

Carol's memorial service will take place on Wednesday the 4th of July at 3pm at the church of St Michael and All Angels in Hathersage. S32 1AJ for all your maps and Satnavs.
There's a train station in Hathersage, connecting to Manchester and Sheffield, and there are buses from Sheffield (272 to Castleton).

There will be a wake at her house after the service, but I'd prefer not to have the address public - please ask if you would like me to send it to you.

To any fencers reading this - we think she'd like a guard of honour, so could you bring a weapon! Foil, epee and sabre are all OK, she used all 3.

Please repost this. I don't want to miss anyone.

Thanks.
Dave Wengraf