PDA

View Full Version : Mad and converted...

oddball
-12th March 2004, 18:07
Just starting to fence sabre, have fenced foil and a little epee. Any advice/ warnings welcome.
( please?! )

Flash SOTU
-12th March 2004, 19:53
If you come from foil: a good parry 5 saves your head ;)

and watch your wrist

sounds banal but what do you want to hear?

PKT
-13th March 2004, 00:05
i'm sure others can and will tell you other more technical things, but i've got 2 that i think are safety related which i think are important:
1. get yourself a 2-armed palstron, one of those half plastron is not adequate; LP item 400...
2. make sure all your head's inside your mask: from a sideview, there should be no part of your head sticking out. get some protection for the back of your head - LP is working on something based on a ice-hockey goalie mask's back plate.
http://www.fencing101.com/Photo_Gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=user&id=109_0915
the mask is of course the LP X-change mask...

PK

oddball
-15th March 2004, 11:39
Thanks people! About the two armed plastron, is this just to protect against being striped from hard hits? If so I was recomended to wear a Guernsey (type of local jumper) or a mail shirt under the jacket, but I think the chap who told me was kidding.... well I hope he was kidding!!

ceprab
-16th March 2004, 17:00
Don't swing from the elbow.

(Tennis elbow victim from mixing sabre and epee a couple of years ago)

PKT
-16th March 2004, 19:08
yopu can still give a mighty good whack doing a quint riposte using your fingers and limiting the action of your forearm. the blade will still go off the mask onto the shoulder...ouch

PK

oddball
-18th March 2004, 11:43
Hmmm!!

hokers
-18th March 2004, 12:58
Footwork and timing is EVERYTHING in modern sabre. Hits are very easy to come by if your opponent is in range, so make sure you're in time when you attack. Keep your movements from the fingers and wrist, parry forward rather than big.

Get used to ROW, its a bit different to foil.

aao
-18th March 2004, 13:23
Oh ignore them with their sabre 'technical' speak, i mean 'footwork' what the hell is that meant to be??! ;)

Things to know about sabre:

1) the comp starts at a civilized time (2ish generally)

2) as a result of the above most sabreurs can be found out in the pub the night before a comp

3) most good sabreurs (top 30 or so) will not bother to turn up to more than a mere handful of opens a year, which ones they turn up to is probably decided by some obscure satanic ritual which they all observe at the start of the season.

4) most sabre fencers outside the top 50 really aren't that good :moon:

5) epee tactics will work at sabre provided you don't bump into one of the rare speciecs of good sabreurs slumming it at a domestic comp (in which case a thorough beating will ensue!)

6) the coupe du nord is not a proper international set of comps no matter what they say!

7) Most of the top sabre fencers are divided between Salle Jakab up north and NLSC and LTFC in london, they seem to be remarkably competitive and fun confrontations can ensue. LTFC will as a general rule win the mens sabre at the nationals although very few members of the team can be actually found at LTFC throughout the season!

8) sabre doesn't actually hurt unless your opponet is either a) not very good or b) dave Sach in a bad mood

9) sabres cost alot less to replace than epees or foils :(

10) why god why are you leaving the true weapon (epee) to go and do sabre??????! :upset:

oddball
-23rd March 2004, 09:36
There are more people to practice with, and I no like epee much.

PKT
-23rd March 2004, 21:23
Originally posted by aao
Oh ignore them with their sabre 'technical' speak, i mean 'footwork' what the hell is that meant to be??! ;)

Things to know about sabre:

9) sabres cost alot less to replace than epees or foils :(

In sabre - unlike foil and epee - maraging blades are not required for comps. As a result most sabreurs don't use them for economic reasons.

PK

oddball
-30th March 2004, 09:59
Originally posted by aao

the comp starts at a civilized time (2ish generally)

I wish!!!!!! Sabre at da C.I. Championships on sunday had a 9.00 am check in, that was bad enough but as the clocks had changed it was really 8.00 am!!!!!!! I know cos the epee comp had the same check in time and I was in the latter....

UglyBug
-30th March 2004, 10:59
Originally posted by PKT
In sabre - unlike foil and epee - maraging blades are not required for comps. As a result most sabreurs don't use them for economic reasons.

PK

Also, there are no fiddly wires and points and springs and whatever else can go wrong and cost money to put right. Generally, if the blade's there it works!

PKT
-5th April 2004, 05:18
Originally posted by oddball
I wish!!!!!! Sabre at da C.I. Championships on sunday had a 9.00 am check in, that was bad enough but as the clocks had changed it was really 8.00 am!!!!!!! I know cos the epee comp had the same check in time and I was in the latter....

oh yeah, i just remembered that you in the British Isles spring fwd one wk ahead of us in N. America...

that must have been quite a bummer to have a tourney THAT wkend. That's cruel and usual punishment! But then, look at it this way, everyone's on the same footing. the theory of evolution being put to the test again...

PK

oddball
-23rd April 2004, 18:52
It wasn't too much of an annoyance as I got up at 4am anyway. The good thing was my opponents semi-asleep state!!!