PDA

View Full Version : MF Olympic draw

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-12th July 2012, 13:25
Assuming the draw is done straight from the adjusted world ranking, (which I think I've got right :confused:), it looks pretty tough for our boys:

L64
Rosowsky vs Smandi (TUN)
Davis bye
Kruse bye

L32
Rosowsky v Cassara (ITA) (assuming Rosowsky wins L64)
Davis v Joppich (GER)
Kruse v Akhmatkhuzin (RUS)

Should they win then:
L16
Rosowsky v Bachmann(GER) or Kleibrink(GER)
Davis v Abouelkassem (EGY) or Schlosser (AUT)
Kruse vs Ma (CHN) or Ali (MAR)

If they get through that lot it will be incredible. As perhaps the best hope Kruse would likely face Cheremisinov in the L8.

It's getting closer - only 16 more sleeps until the WF kick it all off - who's getting excited? :D

Peter Pan
-12th July 2012, 13:52
Assuming the draw is done straight from the adjusted world ranking,

It's not quite like that, it's "Randomised in pairs" - see http://www.fie.ch/download/homepage/en/4.2%20placement%20and%20drawing%20of%20lots%20ang. pdf , the draw is on July 26th

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-12th July 2012, 16:11
It's not quite like that, it's "Randomised in pairs" - see http://www.fie.ch/download/homepage/en/4.2%20placement%20and%20drawing%20of%20lots%20ang. pdf , the draw is on July 26th

How does that work then?

Is it for example seed 1&2 out of the hat, (so to speak - I guess they'll use one of those fancy computer things:p), with first out into top half of draw and second out into bottom half, then continuing in the same vein down the seeding?

So in my example Rosowsky could face Smandi or Choi (HKG) & if he wins it could be Cassara or Aspromonte?

JohnL
-12th July 2012, 17:17
Assuming the draw is done straight from the adjusted world ranking, (which I think I've got right :confused:), it looks pretty tough for our boys:
:D

It's a limited competition, you have the best fencers in the world attending (excluding the ones who didn't make their national teams), and they're all highly motivated for the greatest sporting event which is held every 4 years.

Did you expect an easy draw!!!!!!!!!

:)

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-12th July 2012, 21:36
It's a limited competition, you have the best fencers in the world attending (excluding the ones who didn't make their national teams), and they're all highly motivated for the greatest sporting event which is held every 4 years.

Did you expect an easy draw!!!!!!!!!

Er....no, not really. Mind you with the randomisation thing I'm sure Rosowsky will think "doddle!" if he gets Aspromonte! :whistle:

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-26th July 2012, 11:42
So the drawing of lots will take place today at 3pm. Then we'll know for definite who our boys and girls are up against.

riposteinprime
-26th July 2012, 11:54
So the drawing of lots will take place today at 3pm. Then we'll know for definite who our boys and girls are up against.

I predict it will be pretty grim reading...

JohnL
-26th July 2012, 12:09
I predict it will be pretty grim reading...

How dare you!!!!!

I predict it will present tremendous opportunities for our team members to beat some of the top fencers in the world.

Go GB!!!!!!!!!

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-26th July 2012, 12:17
How dare you!!!!!

I predict it will present tremendous opportunities for our team members to beat some of the top fencers in the world.

Go GB!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you John! Certainly my sense is that there's a real focus & determination that they can do something - especially the MF guys.

D'Artignan
-26th July 2012, 14:54
Any updates on this yet? :whistle:

hokers
-26th July 2012, 15:40
Anyone?

J4G
-26th July 2012, 15:42
Anyone?

Eagerly awaiting...

D'Artignan
-26th July 2012, 16:16
Stolen from the BF facebook page

So the draw has now been completed and here's an update on who our fencers face:

28/7 WF 64
Sheppard v Troiano - the winner to face Maitrejean (FRA) in the 32
Bentley v Peterson (CAN) - the winner to face Kiefer (USA) in the 32

29/7 WS 64
Honeybone v Pryiemka (BLR) - the winner to face Montano in the 32

30/7 WE 64
Lawrence v Bravo Aranguiz (CHI) - the winner to face Gherman (ROU) in the 32

31/7 MF 64
Rosowsky v Samandi (TUN) - the winner to face Cassara (ITA)

MF 32
Kruse v Akhmatkhuzin (RUS)
Davis v Joppich (GER)

Good luck! Go TeamGB!

Graham_Watts
-26th July 2012, 16:28
Many thanks for getting these up so promptly. Can someone add in the Womens' Sabre draw?

I'm sorry that Sophie and Natalia have to fence each other - I know that some people might say that at least it means one progresses to the 32 but, personally, I would have preferred not to have two GB fencers fighting each other in the first fight.

By and large, I think there are a lot of positives to be taken from these draws and I would be surprised if we don't have more wins than losses in GB fencers' first bouts.

Good Luck to them all! And may every last hit go the GB way!

Graham_Watts
-26th July 2012, 16:31
Actually we should say that the first poster on this thread got his predictions absolutely right so the MF draws went exactly with seeding

Graham_Watts
-26th July 2012, 16:44
According to FIE website, which is not always reliable, there is no prior history for any of these bouts going back to 2006 with the exception of Kruse/Akhmatkhuzin and Davis/Joppich.

Richard lost 4/5 in Venice pool earlier this year (meaningless)

James beat Joppich 15/12 in Wakayama in April.

(Sorry, should have added that I only checked first bouts).

Spider5
-26th July 2012, 16:47
100% go, go, go!

JohnL
-26th July 2012, 17:02
According to FIE website, which is not always reliable, there is no prior history for any of these bouts going back to 2006 with the exception of Kruse/Akhmatkhuzin and Davis/Joppich.

Richard lost 4/5 in Venice pool earlier this year (meaningless)

James beat Joppich 15/12 in Wakayama in April.

(Sorry, should have added that I only checked first bouts).

That's funny Graham. I just completed exactly the same check that you did. I agree. No significant prior histories.

But looking at my prediction, I was absolutely accurate. I see huge opportunities for victories of note!!!!!

Graham_Watts
-26th July 2012, 17:09
That's funny Graham. I just completed exactly the same check that you did. I agree. No significant prior histories.

But looking at my prediction, I was absolutely accurate. I see huge opportunities for victories of note!!!!!

I need to sack the researcher because I just uncovered two other poule bouts:

Bentley lost to Peterson 3/4 in Paris World Champs (I watched it)
Honeybone lost 4/5 to Pryemka in New York 2011

Obviously poule bouts pretty meaningless against an Olympic D/E.

Miacat
-26th July 2012, 17:28
I agree poule bouts don't really count. It's when you get the chance to go the full 15 that is gets interesting, even if you don't put all 15 on , it's having that extra time to work out the opponent!

GO TEAM GB!!!!

Meg_SF
-26th July 2012, 18:14
Looks like Louise has a Greek and Sophie an Italian (googled olympic fencing schedule and draw came up with times, but can't see it all on my phone screen)

Meg_SF
-26th July 2012, 18:34
Sat 28th July (WF)

10:30 Sophie Troiano vs Natalia Sheppard
11:00 Monica Peterson (CAN) vs Anna Bentley

Sun 29th July (MS)

10:30 James Honeybone vs Valery Pyriemka (BLR)

Mon 30th July (WE)

11:00 Corinna Lawrence vs Caterin Bravo Aranguiz (CHI)

Tue 31st July (MF)

10:30 - Husayn Rosowsky vs Mohamed Smandi (TUN)

L32

12:20 - Artur Akhmatkhuzin (RUS) vs Richard Kruse
12:20 - James Davis vs Peter Joppich (GER)

Wed 1st Aug (ME/WS)

14:10 - Louise Bond-Williams vs Vassiliki Vougiouka (GRE)
14:10 - Sophie Troiano vs Irene Vecchi (ITA)

Thurs 2nd Aug (WFT)

09:00 EGY vs GBR

Sun 5th Aug (MFT)

09:00 GBR vs EGY

Can't seem to find the same listings on my laptop, if I do, I'll post a link! Since I can't find it, don't rely on it, but thought it might be useful.

Meg_SF
-26th July 2012, 18:56
Sat 28th July (WF)

10:30 Sophie Troiano vs Natalia Sheppard
11:00 Monica Peterson (CAN) vs Anna Bentley

Sun 29th July (MS)

10:30 James Honeybone vs Valery Pyriemka (BLR)

Mon 30th July (WE)

11:00 Corinna Lawrence vs Caterin Bravo Aranguiz (CHI)

Tue 31st July (MF)

10:30 - Husayn Rosowsky vs Mohamed Smandi (TUN)

L32

12:20 - Artur Akhmatkhuzin (RUS) vs Richard Kruse
12:20 - James Davis vs Peter Joppich (GER)

Wed 1st Aug (ME/WS)

14:10 - Louise Bond-Williams vs Vassiliki Vougiouka (GRE)
14:10 - Sophie Troiano vs Irene Vecchi (ITA)

Thurs 2nd Aug (WFT)

09:00 EGY vs GBR

Sun 5th Aug (MFT)

09:00 GBR vs EGY

Can't seem to find the same listings on my laptop, if I do, I'll post a link! Since I can't find it, don't rely on it, but thought it might be useful.

Sorry should read 'Sophie Williams vs Irene Vechhi' not 'Sophie Troiano'

munkey
-26th July 2012, 22:14
The men's foil draw in full: http://www.london2012.com/fencing/event/men-foil/index.html

Women's foil: http://www.london2012.com/fencing/event/women-foil/index.html

Men's sabre: http://www.london2012.com/fencing/event/men-sabre/index.html

Women's sabre: http://www.london2012.com/fencing/event/women-sabre/index.html

Men's epee: http://www.london2012.com/fencing/event/men-epee/index.html

Women's epee: http://www.london2012.com/fencing/event/women-epee/index.html