PDA

View Full Version : Munich Olympics 1972

wear wanderers
-16th July 2012, 21:50
I've just been listening to Radio Two - The Ballads of the Games, which tonight covered the Munich Olympics in 1972. I did a quick search when I got back home, and found a new article on the Guardian website.

"Among the dead was fencing coach Andre Spitzer, whose widow Ankie has campaigned for almost 40 years for a minute's silence at the opening of each Olympic Games to commemorate the massacre".

Pity we can't be the ones to break the mould in London 2012, in the name of "Fencing"...............

Lefty Foilist
-16th July 2012, 21:57
Indeed, though I can imagine the look of fear/awkwardness IOC members show when that particular geopolitical can of worms. Shame though that life comes to that.

riposteinprime
-16th July 2012, 22:02
"Among the dead was fencing coach Andre Spitzer, whose widow Ankie has campaigned for almost 40 years for a minute's silence at the opening of each Olympic Games to commemorate the massacre".

There is a memorial ceremony at every Olympics, just not part of the opening ceremony.

Graham_Watts
-19th July 2012, 11:26
There is a memorial ceremony at every Olympics, just not part of the opening ceremony.

For several years the Israeli Fencing Federation held a memorial u/20 foil event in honour of Andrei Spitzer. British U/20 foilists went to it regularly in the 70s. I don't think it is held anymore but I may be wrong.

There was a truly upsetting photo of Spitzer in one of the Sunday newspapers recently, standing at the balcony of his apartment in the Olympic Village with a gun pointed at the back of his head. It was the last time he was seen alive.

Although we all care deeply about the results at the Olympics, I'm sure we all care much more deeply that nothing like this ever happens again.

(BTW it says a lot about the Israelis that they tracked down and assasinated the surviving terrorist many years after 1972).