PDA

View Full Version : Leon Paul Body Cords

Hamley
-16th March 2004, 22:52
Everyone telling me Leon Paul Body Cords ( for epee) are the best. But I dont see why, I checked the thing on the leonpaul.com but it dost explain why there so good. When everyone shows me they said they never have to buy another body cord again.

Could anyone clearn this up for me.

Thanks !

Noah

Epeecurean
-17th March 2004, 08:24
Originally posted by Hamley
Everyone telling me Leon Paul Body Cords ( for epee) are the best. But I dont see why, I checked the thing on the leonpaul.com but it dost explain why there so good. When everyone shows me they said they never have to buy another body cord again.

Could anyone clearn this up for me.

Thanks !

Noah

Hi Noah,

LP body cords (called body wires here) offer a number of advantages:

1. The plug pins are smooth and the positioning of the three are slightly offset relative to the holes in the socket. This makes for a snug fit and good contact. Other body cords have there pins lined up perfectly but try to get good contact by having flared pins (if that's what they are called) rather than smooth pins. These flared pins wear out and you eventually have to keep prying these metal flares wider so they make good contact.

2. Easy to repair. Just pull back the rubber sleeve to access the pins. No unscrewing necessary. Also the cord is clear(ish) so you can see any breaks in the wire.

3. Small plugs/low profile. I also like the LP plugs because they don't stick out as much, so they don't get in the way of your hand and they don't present additional target.

If you go to epee body wire in online shop and click "More Information", LP says:

"Our three-pin plug is more reliable than many others; the pins are slightly offset meaning that as the plug is pushed in the pins are forced to straighten providing increased tension and a perfect contact throughout its life. We make our wire from double spun multi core copper cable, each core being made of hundreds of twisted copper filaments. This gives the wire greater flexibility and increases its fatigue life. We coat the wire with clear plastic so that if it does eventually break you can see where it has broken and just trim it rather than replace the whole item. The covers on both plugs are made from a one-piece flexible plastic moulding. This allows the wire to flex inside the plug and prevents it from being bent repeatedly at the point of entry, which increases the lifespan of the wire. Finally, all of our terminations are made with piercing screws which are much more reliable and allow easy maintanance. "

Some pics and explanation of maintenancing body wires:

Body Wires (http://www.leonpaul.com/shop/armoury_shop/epee_armoruy.htm#Bodywires)

Barry Paul
-17th March 2004, 08:53
To the question why are Leon Paul Epee body wires are so good you need to understand their inherent manufacturing quality and design concept/philosophy.

Apart from the Leon Paul Epee body wire system all other epee body wires use banjo/banana pins. These pins and hence the body wires have a basic design flaw, they were never designed for constant insertion and retraction. In order to maintain continuous contact and low resistance between the pin and socket the banjo pins need to be tight fitting. The outer member of the pin is overstressed and fatigue rapidly. My abiding memory of foil finals of the 70/80 was the constant halts caused by faulty bodywires (Two pin) and the small screwdriver kept by every coach used to stretch the banjo elements. Because of pre-testing before finals we donít see the problem so occurring so often. However at epee high resistance just means that valid hits donít register so the fault was not so apparent at Epee. Also many of the banjo pins have sharp edges which enlarge the socket and gradually make good contact and low resistance between the pin and socket even harder.

The Leon Paul solution was to re-invent the three pin socket. The pins are smooth and set into the plastic body of the plug such that they are off set. As the plug is pushed into the socket the individual pins twist the plastic body, It is this deformation which maintains perfect contact and the smooth pins do not wear out the sockets.

The other main cause of failure is due to wires breaking, this almost always occurs at the junction between the wire and the body of the plugs. The failure is caused by fatigue of the wire as it is constantly flexed. The Leon Paul solution is to use very flexible outer covers which ensure the radius of curvature of any bending is as large as possible. The hard shelled plastic bodies with multi screw fixings of the majority of other designs is just poor design and shows a complete lack of understanding of basic engineering principles.(but they do look expensive and well made)

Other important considerations are ease of replacement, repair and maintenance. Banjo/banana plugs and terminations are difficult to wire and need both a wide blade screw driver and often a spanner, they are difficult and fiddly to repair and put back. The Leon Paul design uses a unique wire piecing system preferred by most modern telecommunication connections. .

Choice of body wire cable is important transparent to see any breaks. Flexibility to ensure long life before fatigue failure. Such fatigue failure is dependant on individual strand diameter, larger diameter wire does not mean longer life, most thicker cables will start to fail quicker. Barry Paul M.D. Leon Paul

Rdb811
-17th March 2004, 12:51
A tip someone told me was to remove the ferrule where the cover meets the wire - it's possible to get caught there. (Not entirely sure, but it explains the mysterious hits on the wrist that you don't feel).

randomsabreur
-17th March 2004, 16:09
The one flaw with the LP bodywires is that you can break the tensioning plastic thing if you sit on it. Sitting on an allstar bodywire hurts worse tho' but at least it doesn't break.

uk_45
-17th March 2004, 16:39
Would vever really think about sitting on a body wire tho! Yeah leon pauls body wires are rather nice esp the epee!

Marky Irish
-18th March 2004, 00:57
leon paul epee bodywires are the best in the world.

no doubt about it.

always use them.

randomsabreur
-19th March 2004, 17:22
You don't mean to sit on it, but it is underneath you when you sit down mid competition, or after you have been knocked out but before you take your kit off. Then you get up again and wonder if you have a nice 3 pronged shape in your flesh!

uk_45
-19th March 2004, 17:57
Ouch yeah i tend to tie mine up or summin but i'm use to sitting on my keys so i think i have lost all feeling in that area!

hayleyjade
-20th March 2004, 11:39
i have sat on, tripped over and eaten my body wire. i dont think it likes me anymore!

Dalby
-20th March 2004, 15:03
Eaten???!!!???

Robert
-20th March 2004, 15:04
Originally posted by Hamley
Everyone telling me Leon Paul Body Cords ( for epee) are the best.

I have an all-star and a paul one. I think the all-star is better. Both have a clear wire allowing you to see breaks, so there is no advantage to the paul one for that (I make the comment because Barry lists it amongst the advantages of paul wires).

The biggest factor is the flared pins (I presume this is what Barry means by 'banana'). When inserted into the plug these really give a good grip. Where-as I have used the paul one and the off-set pins do not hold it in the plug as well, it can slip out if not strapped. Now, I know you're thinking it seems silly/lazy not to strap the plug in but you can go to an open where the straps are broken/not working. One of our girls was using a paul at Nottingham, and lost several points (at least 2) from the plug slipping out.

On the questions of ease of repair, how long they last etc, I can't comment.

Robert

srb
-20th March 2004, 15:13
Mine are hybrids. I use german two pin body wires, but I have taken off the german crocodile clips and replaced them with some 20 year old LP crocodile clips as they are better.

The german ones make the connection just with solder. This solder can break without you noticing, giving intermittent white lights when someone hits you (which might be a good thing depending on how you look at it!!!) With the LP ones you screw the wire to the clip which gives better continuity.

I have to replace the actual wire about every 6 months as it gets corroded with sweat.

srb

hayleyjade
-20th March 2004, 15:20
ewwwww sweat thats yack......anyway, yes eaten, when im reffing/whteva its called, i tend to eat the end of my cord, you know the bit that plugs into the foil lol, i donmt think i should do that really!

uk_45
-20th March 2004, 18:29
Hmm nice! tasty!

And from my experience the Paul cords grip better than flarered.