PDA

View Full Version : Duellist blue sabre

MrWizard
-19th March 2004, 20:09
Following on from another thread, I'm looking to buy a new (electric) sabre to replace the LP France I bought at the end of last year. The LP blade is far too heavy for my liking, so I'm looking for something nice and light.

I've seen Duellist blades being praised on these forums, I know the blue blade is the one to go for, but I can't seem to find it on the website :confused: I've also heard the gold blades aren't the most durable.

Anyone got any advice as to whether this is a good sabre to go for, or any others that are worth a look? Unfortunately I'd be buying "sight unseen", as no-one I know has one :(

Cheers,
Jamie

uk_45
-19th March 2004, 20:54
Hmm i dont know about a duelist blue you sure you aint think of the PBT blue?

MrWizard
-19th March 2004, 20:59
According to this thread there is ;) http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1688&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Only asking because it's definitely not on the website!

Jamie

uk_45
-19th March 2004, 21:05
Hmm unless it's the XL2000 i dont think duellist stock a 'blue' blade i know for a fact that PBT and allstar both make a blue blade.

MrWizard
-19th March 2004, 21:09
You wouldn't happen to know if any of them are any good? Not having tried any of them I'm open to suggestions... :)

I'm not specifically after a blue blade (although they do look kinda cool :cool: ), just something nice that doesn't weigh a ton.

Cheers,
Jamie

uk_45
-19th March 2004, 21:14
Erm PBT blades are loverly. Best for a sabre flick hit the are very bendy but hold there shape (straight) perfectly. Only put back for me is they come wioth a rubber grip and i prefer leather but changing the grip is easy.

MrWizard
-19th March 2004, 21:22
Thanks uk_45, I managed to find the UK PBT website. The PBT LM blue sabre is 49.50, the Duellist gold is 59 :dizzy: Decisions, decisions...

I really want a new blade for my next competition in a couple of weeks time, just can't really decide what to go for!

Cheers,
Jamie

uk_45
-19th March 2004, 21:31
Yeah the hard choices of life!!!

hokers
-19th March 2004, 23:12
No point spending a lot on a sabre blade, they tend to snap too often. I've got two of the cheap PBT ones and they're excellent.

uk_45
-20th March 2004, 18:32
I find better blades last ALOT longer!

MrWizard
-20th March 2004, 21:07
Haven't yet broken a sabre blade, maybe I'm not trying hard enough... :grin:

Thanks for the advice guys :) Still not decided, wavering towards the PBT blue, I notice the cheaper PBT sabre is only 4 cheaper than the blue one. I also notice the pictures on their website are the same for both (yes, I know, call me sad for noticing!)...

Jamie

uk_45
-20th March 2004, 21:19
no its sad that i kno one the duellist site it only has one sabre they just keep flicking it around

kingkenny
-21st March 2004, 15:07
There maybe a new super sabre blade coming out in the next month or so from lp. But thats could all just be rumour.

uk_45
-21st March 2004, 15:15
Well we've been hearing about this for a while now so can some one please tell us. I'm stting on the edge of my seat here!

hayleyjade
-21st March 2004, 16:30
wheres barry when you need him?

BARRY?!?!?!!!!!!!

uk_45
-21st March 2004, 16:31
Lol

Man BIG STORM here our elecy is nearly down :( so ill prob vanish soon!

Rdb811
-21st March 2004, 17:26
I have the Duellist blue and have been singings it's praises - it's the same price as their gold (about 10 -12 if a member for the blade only) - it is nice and light and seems pretty durable although it doesn't get that much use.

uk_45
-21st March 2004, 17:47
It Aint on there website and they dont seem to offer indervisual blades on the site.

uk_45
-21st March 2004, 17:50
And PBT do sell blades only have a blue which is about the same price as there other blade.

Winwaloe
-23rd March 2004, 16:30
If you can't find the info on the website I have always found that a 'phone call to the shop produces the results!!!!!!

MrWizard
-24th March 2004, 18:24
OK, really dumb question coming up, I ordered the PBT blue sabre, arrived today.

How blue is the blade meant to be? I remember seeing a sabre at the Edinburgh Open (an Allstar I think) where the colour was quite noticeable. The colour of the blade doesn't bother me, just want to make sure I've got what I paid for.

Can anyone confirm for me what a PBT blue blade looks like, because mine certainly doesn't look blue. Seems a nice blade all the same :)

Jamie

uk_45
-24th March 2004, 19:43
I know the allstar blade you mean yeah that is blue the PBT blue however isn't blue im sure some one can tell you why its called blue but if im honest i plainly dont know!

MrWizard
-24th March 2004, 21:48
Oh well, will just have to paint it myself... ;)

Jamie

uk_45
-25th March 2004, 21:26
Wouldn't do that it doesn't get on with the conductivity of the blade hmmmm i have a idea of how i might win a fight, bring me the paint!

MrWizard
-26th March 2004, 07:43
That was a poor attempt at a joke... On the other hand, a nice stripy colur scheme might distract my opponents :)

Jamie

J_D
-26th March 2004, 08:43
Some foilists use stripy tape: it doesn't distract just makes the point easier to follow.......:confused:

J_D
-26th March 2004, 08:44
Some foilists use stripy tape: it doesn't distract just makes the point easier to follow.......:confused:

uk_45
-3rd April 2004, 17:14
FOUND IT

Some on in my club has just bought one it is the Super XL S2000

the pics on the site are all the same but flipped overm which doesnt help. Its a loverly blade very very very very nice!

kingkenny
-5th April 2004, 08:25
The LP blade is far too heavy for my liking, so I'm looking for something nice and light.
Blade weights:
Paul france 180 grams
Paul etoile 176 grams
LM blades (duellist, PBT, allstar uk) 173g
Sm blades (????) 166g

I am no expert but I would sugest it is not the weight of the blade itself but were the weight is situated on the blade forte, tip, etc

uk_45
-5th April 2004, 08:34
Yeah al blades weigh about the same. It all to do with the centre of mass, balance, of the WHOLE weapon so the weight of the pommel and guard has alot to say.

MrWizard
-5th April 2004, 20:36
Originally posted by Kingkenny
Blade weights:
Paul france 180 grams
Paul etoile 176 grams
LM blades (duellist, PBT, allstar uk) 173g
Sm blades (????) 166g

I am no expert but I would sugest it is not the weight of the blade itself but were the weight is situated on the blade forte, tip, etc

Kingkenny, I'm no expert either, and I'm not having a go at LP (I hate to think how much I've spent with you in the past year!), I'm just not a fan of the sabre I bought. My own personal opinion is that my PBT sabre feels slightly lighter, and much better balanced.

Jamie
(happy LP customer)

randomsabreur
-5th April 2004, 21:58
LP blades seem to be more uniform in section, thinner at the base and fatter at the top than the other types. This seems to me to make them feel top heavy and less balanced.

They also seem to be less durable than the other types of blade, as they seem to take on permanent kinks more quickly.

uk_45
-5th April 2004, 22:02
Yeah this is the problem i've had with them. But dont seem to get it as much any more.

PKT
-5th April 2004, 23:56
i use Ukranian StM blues blades. the blue is very deep, like gun metal blue which is similar to the blue you see in MS Word's icon or MS's blue.

Here in Vancouver, BC, because of the UKR connections, we pay CAD 45 for them. This is buying them from one of the fencing coaches who was from UKR, not from a shop. So no mailing charges, taxes, etc. are concerned.

FYI:
Monday, April 5, 2004
45 Canadian Dollar = 18.73847 British Pound
45 British Pound (GBP) = 108.066 Canadian Dollar (CAD)
This is an interbank rate, but you get the idea...

At the Vancouver epee World Cup, UKR fencers were offering UKR FIE epee blades for CAD 80 naked, CAD 88 wired with UKR points.
Monday, April 5, 2004
80 Canadian Dollar = 33.31283 British Pound
80 British Pound (GBP) = 192.118 Canadian Dollar (CAD)

PK