PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shakes

madfencer
-16th September 2012, 20:43
Hi

Quick question. Are protein shakes a good idea for fencing (I don't mean at competitions, just to supplement training).

I'm female, aged 23, 5 foot 4, currently about 9 stone, pretty muscular. I'm awaiting acl reconstruction so have been hitting the gym pretty hard to work on upper body and core strength and maintain what leg strength I still have. Going about 5 times a week to the gym, around an hour a session. Alternating days between mainly cardio, and mainly strength sessions. Just wondering if protein shakes would help with recovery, fencing power and help to build muscle so I lose less after surgery, or if they'll bulk me out and make my fencing (when I eventually return to it) less agile.

Sorry if this has been asked before,

Thanks,

madfencer

Rudd
-17th September 2012, 14:08
The only advantage of protein shakes over real food is potentially their convenience and depending on your palate their taste.

madfencer
-17th September 2012, 22:18
Hi.
I've had free samples from the good whey company and their chocolate shake tastes nice.
Was wondering more if it would benefit me in recovery/energy levels etc.
I had a shake after a heavy workout and didnt feel any muscle soreness that I would have expected the next day but don't know if it was psychological.

benjt
-17th September 2012, 22:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rul7XbM844

Link to Panorama program on sports products with a section of supplements. Skip to 45:40.

my understanding is your body simply doesn't need or can process the large amount of protein from shakes. If you want protein after exercise have a slice of ham within about 20min. But speaking as someone who is also having ACL surgery in 2 months I am not expecting to build muscle ass in my legs in the next few months only maintain existing muscle. You can of course also work on stability, where your injury allows. But as most stability muscle does not allow for bulking up, though on very dodge ground here, protein intake in this regards is non-effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

Also the above Horizon programme has some interesting insights in the potential long term side effects of protein and calorie rich diets focused around higher risk of certain cancers and increased rate of cell degradation. Though not the main focus of the programme it is extremely interesting and well wroth watching.

Ben

Rudd
-18th September 2012, 13:09
I had a shake after a heavy workout and didnt feel any muscle soreness that I would have expected the next day but don't know if it was psychological.

What did you normally eat after a heavy workout? If a protein shake was replacing nothing or very little then there is obviously going to be a benefit.
After you workout your body need food to recover. This can come in the form of a protein shake, or a tuna sandwich or chocolate milk. Both the benefit and risks of high protein intake are often overstated.

madfencer
-18th September 2012, 22:50
But speaking as someone who is also having ACL surgery in 2 months I am not expecting to build muscle ass in my legs in the next few months only maintain existing muscle.
Ben

Thanks Ben, i'll take a look at those links.
Well I definately do still appear to be building muscle! I had done very little training between Birmingham and about 6 weeks ago so lost a lot of muscle mass since my injury, but now am starting to regain it, mainly in my upper body, but also in my legs. My surgery is 2 weeks today though, so no doubt i'll lose a lot of it again, but hopefully still better than after my injury.

Good luck with your surgery. The wait is the toughest part I think (although i'll keep you updated on that!!)

Helen

madfencer
-18th September 2012, 22:53
[QUOTE=Rudd;272246]What did you normally eat after a heavy workout? If a protein shake was replacing nothing or very little then there is obviously going to be a benefit.
QUOTE]

As I use the gym at work after work, I don't get home until about an hour after I finish my workout. Varies what I eat afterwards, sometimes i'm very hungry, other times not so much. Pasta is usually a good standyby, so I guess a preotein shake would be a benefit then!

pjgh
-18th September 2012, 23:16
From what I understand, it's protein before activity (BCAAs are ideal), then carbs afterwards. Carbs after restore blood sugar and stop you metabolising your muscles into energy. You don't want to boost blood sugar too much ... insulin spikes repeatedly through the day or later in the day are a sure fire way of encouraging diabetes.

A good compromise might well be a very natural milk protein extract which has a higher carbohydrate figure, but is not high carb.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/essential-whey-60 is one I enjoy after hill walking, especially if made up with a can of coconut milk. Some carb, some protein, good fats and the undernatured/unflavoured extract is pure.

benjt
-19th September 2012, 07:56
Good luck with your surgery as well. We will lose muscle mass whatever we do, so in the words of Tesco's 'Every little bit helps' (in the voice of Brian Blessed of course).

fencingmaster
-19th September 2012, 08:11
As posted elsewhere, I have a mild addiction to chocomilk, and......
http://www.edb.utexas.edu/education/news/2011/chocomilk/

Nick_C
-21st October 2012, 13:07
The main reason for protein supplementation post-workout is to reduce recovery time. If you're doing a lot of muscle-damaging exercise, and if you're finding that it's impeding your performance the next time you work out, then it's likely that it's worth the 'expense'.

Of course, different brands of protein 'shakes contain different amount of protein. Met-Rx (a big brand name, and the one i buy) contains about 40g per 2 scoops.

A slice of ham (co-op) 7g.

If you can stomach six slices of ham straight after the gym, then great.

Protein 'shakes are popular because because of convenience too - easy to carry around, don't go off, and cheap, etc.

Ben, I did hear of that study linking increased protein consumption with risk of cancer (and I was impressed), but I would assume that the kind activity levels of people who use protein shakes would certainly offset any such increased risk. (It has long been known that exercise reduces the risk of many cancers).

Rudd
-10th May 2014, 17:05
Any comment?

How's the personal training industry in Australia these days?

purple
-12th May 2014, 09:42
There was a stand at the BYCs for anti-doping in sport. Proudly displayed front and centre was a giant tub of Maximuscle asking if you knew what was in your supplements. Worth bearing in mind if you're going to add additionals to your diet.