PDA

View Full Version : Science Museum

doobarz
-21st March 2004, 10:47
A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR CLUBS AND FENCERS TO APPEAR AT THE SCIENCE MUSEUM

The Science Museum in South Kensington, London, has given over a large space in the main museum to the BFA for 3rd - 18th April for a "live display". We urgently need volunteers at every level to help fill this time, it is a fantastic opportunity.

There will be a fully equipped electric piste available and the BFA will provide some back-up staff where necessary.

Individual fencers, clubs, ad hoc teams who wish to be a part of this tremendous occasion should contact John Ramsay johnrmsy@aol.com as soon as possible.

uk_45
-21st March 2004, 16:38
WOW that sounds great fun lol. Talk to the club about that one defo!

doobarz
-5th April 2004, 12:06
I was there on Saturday, was good fun. Is very hot, so take plenty of fluids, and we didn't get any refreshments provided by the museum....

Andy W.
-12th April 2004, 21:13
Just happened to go to the Science Museum today and so happened across the fencing display which was being put on by Haverstock. Very impressive, many people stopping to watch must have made a good impression. Then we went into the active sport exhibition (also very good by the way - especially the sprint test ) and saw fencing masks on display! One of the interactive displays even had a fencing related question! If it carries on this way maybe fencing (especially foil) has future and isn't going to end up preserved in a museum after all!

Shame we didn't realise it was on earlier otherwise our cluub might well have tried to fill one of the slots. 'Suppose I should be a bit more diligent in reading all the posts on the forum.

uk_45
-12th April 2004, 21:34
I think the future will be 2 weapons 1 a cross bread between foil and epee and the other sabre but i think both will have some funny rules

Rdb811
-13th April 2004, 00:02
I was there today and it was a really good day and excellant publicity. We re booke din for Wednesday - if anybody wants to join us (with BFA membership and full kit + breeches and parental permission) there will be space.

Keith.A.Smith
-13th April 2004, 17:16
I was there today and it was splendid. Nottingham Cavaliers had travelled down with Paul Sibert to put on the fencing and it all looked very good. If you have not been, it is running till Sunday evening so do get along.

My thanks to John Ramsay, John Kennedy, Graham Morrison and Barry Paul for organising it all.

Thank you to all the fencers who have taken part.

Well done.

It was also featured in The Independent.

Keith

James
-13th April 2004, 19:38
that lp news article in the other thread says its going on till sept. is that right?

uk_45
-13th April 2004, 19:40
Yeah i was wondering there aint made it down yet but it looks great

Keith.A.Smith
-13th April 2004, 19:43
The fencing display is only going on till this Sunday, although we hope to have another round in the summer. It has been marvellous that fencers have volunteered to help every day since April 1st.

Keith

Danny_Boy
-13th April 2004, 22:38
Fenced at the Science Museum today - long journey, long day, but very good fun.

People should know that although Paul Sibert and myself do fence at Nottingham Cavaliers, the club that actually went down to the Museum today was Sherwood Cadets - the club that Paul coaches at and where I started my fencing career.

Although I spent most of the time refereeing, I particularly enjoyed the day because I fenced Paul 3 times throughout the day and beat him 45-42 overall. And this was after finishing higher than him (albeit by only one place) at Birmingham at the weekend. Something very satisfying about beating one of your coaches.

Anyways, it was an excellent day for the club and a brilliant bit of publicity for fencing in general.

Big congrats to everyone who's organised or taken part in the event.

-

Danny Boy

vil
-13th April 2004, 22:44
I'll be down there on Thursday, when Guildford have booked in. I've taken the day off work. Really looking forward to it after hearing all these glowing reports! BTW I'm sure there'll be plenty of room for non-Guildford fencers too, for anyone else that can make it along on that day.

wingnutLP
-14th April 2004, 09:29
see http://www.leonpaul.com/news/big_news_story/science.htm

Demonic
-14th April 2004, 13:10
i,d like to come along if it epee being fenced im LTFC fencer but seems non of my club were intreasted.
I wanted to attend last week but was told by organiser it was full up.
my email is dominic.beaven90@ntlworld.com

cheers

White_Tiger
-14th April 2004, 20:39
darn, i would have loved to come see that, or to help. sorry maybe (if there is) next time?

uk_45
-14th April 2004, 21:26
Yeah it came at a bad time for my self and proberbly White tiger to but hey if it is on in the summer i'll try and i'll drag hayleyjade and white tiger down with me, could use some victims!

Juicy
-15th April 2004, 22:12
ULU are fencing Oxbridge there tomorrow (Friday) - it should be quite nice to watch if anyone can be bothered to drop by :-)

uk_45
-15th April 2004, 22:18
Bit of a trek!

vil
-15th April 2004, 23:06
Well I was at the Science Museum today & it was excellent. Far and away the nicest setup I've ever fenced on (hey, I'm not good enough for A grades yet!). Guildford Fencing Club were running things for the day, but there were plenty of fencers from other clubs that dropped by & that was one of the things which made the day for me: good fencers, good fencing, good setup, good venue, great atmosphere.

There were quite a lot of people stopping to watch throughout the day. In some of the matches there was even a bit of cheering when a hit was scored. Who says fencing isn't a spectator sport? :)

Anyway, if you haven't been along there yet, it's really worth the effort. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Rdb811
-16th April 2004, 12:01
We (Streatham) were playing to the crowd (esp Alwyn and Jean) - getting the halves of the crowd either side of the referee to cheer for different fencers.

Brilliant day.

Naughty foilist
-16th April 2004, 13:33
Alwyn! Play to the crowd! Never!:jam:

uk_45
-16th April 2004, 14:20
wow sounds like it was a great day!

hayleyjade
-16th April 2004, 19:36
Originally posted by uk_45
Yeah it came at a bad time for my self and proberbly White tiger to but hey if it is on in the summer i'll try and i'll drag hayleyjade and white tiger down with me, could use some victims!

your not dragging me anywhere!

Hudson
-16th April 2004, 20:03
Was down most of the week(Mon, WeD, thurs, Stuck my head in this morning) Had a great time. loads of fencing, a bit of an intro sesion for kids (now i remember why i have no kids at my club) Good to see so many fencers turn up. The staff were great as well.

Can't wait to do it again.

Rdb811
-17th April 2004, 00:12
Many thanks for your help.

Yes - I can't wait to do it again.

Juicy
-17th April 2004, 09:23
It was *so* much fun yesterday! We had a fan club (gang of 7 year old kids) cheering us on and telling us how good we looked.

I think this should be introduced in real competitions... :egg:

Neo
-17th April 2004, 14:14
Originally posted by Hudson
Was down most of the week(Mon, WeD, thurs, Stuck my head in this morning) Had a great time. loads of fencing, a bit of an intro sesion for kids (now i remember why i have no kids at my club) Good to see so many fencers turn up. The staff were great as well.

I take it Hudson is Gary?

Originally posted by Juicy
It was *so* much fun yesterday! We had a fan club (gang of 7 year old kids) cheering us on and telling us how good we looked.

I think this should be introduced in real competitions... :egg:

Lucy, nooooooooooooooo we need bunny wabbits!! :grin:

Juicy
-17th April 2004, 14:21
Kids *and* bunnies...the kids can cheer louder, and they're probably cleaner than your bunny any day....

Neo
-17th April 2004, 14:25
but the bunnies can hop up and down! :rolleyes:

Hudson
-17th April 2004, 18:38
Originally posted by Neo
I take it Hudson is Gary?

Yes it is me

hayleyjade
-17th April 2004, 19:53
awwwwww bunnys are soooooooooooo cute tho, we have baby bunnies at work, adorable!

lol, was stroking this big black wabbit 2, awwwwwwwww so cute and so soft!

awwwwwwwwwwww!

Juicy
-17th April 2004, 20:06
I didn't know rabbits came in black....

(Sorry)

:hairfire2

Neo
-17th April 2004, 20:09
heh. norty!

Exgeordielass
-19th April 2004, 09:56
It was nice to have met you Hudson, your help was greatly appreciated.

Roger, I like your idea of having the crowd pick a fencer and cheer.

I originally posted the text below on the announcements thread but thought this would be more widely seen.

"And it was a pretty fantastic event to be involved with. Like to thank all Guildford Fencing Club members who came yesterday, Tiger Swords and the extra fencers - Dimitri, Gary, Elli, Keith and the other lady fencer who I'm afraid I don't have a name for. Thanks everyone for turning up yesterday and making our day a great success. Special thanks for those members who helped us carry all the equipment back to the car." posted orginally last Friday on the Announcements thread.

PM1
-19th April 2004, 10:43
If there is the possibility of doing this again in the summer (sure i've read that somewhere) can we start organising now ??

Hudson
-19th April 2004, 11:22
There was talk about doing it again in the summer hols but i don't know if it was just a thought or good gen.

Would be great to do it again.

The only thing i would as is would it be possible to arrange limited parking in the science museum car park (I was told they had one) as carrying 3 or 4 bags on the tube in rush hour doesn't make you a popular person i found.

Rdb811
-19th April 2004, 17:05
Count us in.

I don't suppose anyone has an epee of mine in their bag by mistake ?

(One went missing between the L256 at Brum and the following day).

uk_45
-19th April 2004, 17:35
If it is on in the summer count me in much better time!

Insipiens
-12th July 2004, 16:07
Resurrecting an old thread.

Is there still a possibility of this happening again over the summer? Or was that just a rumour?

If it is going to happen, I would suggest people should be asked soon.