PDA

View Full Version : OS qualifyers in Gent

Stanley
-22nd March 2004, 11:01
Does anyone know who will be competing in the OS qualifyers in Gent on 17 April?

I will probably go along to watch and want to make sure I'm shouting for and have red white and blue banners prepared for each of our competitors!

Stanley

Boo Boo
-22nd March 2004, 11:20
There are still a few a-grades left, this weekend, before who is going can be finalised for some weapons...

Nice that you are going :)

Boo

Threestain
-22nd March 2004, 12:01
Most are finalised by now surely? Though I think there is one more week for A Grades yet

Boo Boo
-22nd March 2004, 12:13
St Petersburg MF and WF next weekend. WS in Italy. ME in Bogota (nice!). WE in Estoril.

I know that Camy and Elly are going to St Petersburg, don't know if any Brits are going to any of the other A-grades next weekend...

I assume, at the moment, going to the Qualifiers will probably be Kruse (MF), Smith (WF), Williams (MS), Bond-Williams (WS), Usher (WE) and no-one for ME (because no-one has a L16 at an A-grade - standard required from the BOC to go to the Olympics...).

BUT not all results are in from this past weekend's A-grades, next weekends haven't happened yet (you never know what might happen...), selections haven't been made and those selected haven't agreed to go yet... ;)

Boo
(doing far too much spectulating...)

Rdb811
-22nd March 2004, 23:44
Originally posted by Boo Boo

BUT not all results are in from this past weekend's A-grades, next weekends haven't happened yet (you never know what might happen...), selections haven't been made and those selected haven't agreed to go yet... ;)

Boo really writes the disclaimers on Stock Excahnge announcements for a living.

Boo Boo
-23rd March 2004, 08:56
Originally posted by Rdb811
Boo really writes the disclaimers on Stock Excahnge announcements for a living.

I wish - would probably be rich :)

Boo

UglyBug
-24th March 2004, 11:45
Is there anywhere that you can see who has already qualified from around the world? I saw the qualifying rules on the FIE website, but that involves things like brainwork and dippy things such as knowing what countries are in what region and stuff (it's a long time since GCSE geography....)

randomsabreur
-24th March 2004, 13:10
I see what you mean about complicated, had a little play while killing time. The strange thing is the lack of a German MS team, and I think they won't have any individuals as well.

The list of qualified teams is up on the FIE website, so I guess that the individual list will appear after the competitions this weekend, or on 31 march when the rolling ranking stops

Boo Boo
-29th March 2004, 08:28
No more L16s from British fencers this past weekend :(

So I assume the people attending the qualifiers for GB are:
- Kruse (MF), Smith (WF), Williams (MS), Bond-Williams (WS), Usher (WE) and no-one for ME (because no-one has a L16 at an A-grade - standard required from the BOC to go to the Olympics...).

But I am sure that someone from the BFA will make an announcement soon.

Boo

Stanley
-7th April 2004, 18:25
http://users.pandora.be/confrerie/ost/ost_en_welkom.htm

this is the link to the official Gent website. All participants are listed.

Looks like only the gold and silver from each discipline (plus 3rd place for WF and WS) get to go to Athens.

haggis
-7th April 2004, 20:03
Good work, Stanley.

Some of these look very nasty indeed.

Prometheus
-7th April 2004, 20:17
For the foil: Mocek is the highest ranked (last I looked) in the FIE rankings and has been at the Worlds as part of the Polish team for many years.

The there's Schlosser, another strong contender......

Richard's going to have to fence very well that day....

aao
-7th April 2004, 21:35
well thats not fair 26 for the epee, 16 for the foil and 10 yes a mere 10 for the sabre! so 2 victories in the sabre and yer off to the olympics! thats got to be good for James, and quite good for Richard too!

oh well a mere 4 de fights away from olympic qualification for me, this is probably as close as i'll ever get so i'll just have to go and enjoy myself :party:

whizzkid1982
-8th April 2004, 12:22
well at least you get to go!!!

aao
-8th April 2004, 13:33
Thats quite true, and I'm extremely grateful to the turkish federation for sending me. It might be only a small chance of qualifying but at least its a chance :)

aao
-8th April 2004, 13:55
anyway back to the important question, does anybody have any idea how to go about beating what will probably be 4 very talented fencers in a row up to 15??? (well the 8 of them i know are very very good at any rate)

suggetions should if at all possible not include the word 'training' as:

a) its a bit late for that now
b) its easter and nowhere good is open
c) my girlfriend is over from the US till wednesday and if I don't spend the majority of my time with her, i might not survive to enter the comp! :dizzy:

whizzkid1982
-8th April 2004, 14:10
i believe epee is the one were you hold your arm out in a straight line from the shoulder close your eyes and hope that your opponent runs onto your point 15 times in a row. i except that normally you are running onto someone else's point but you could try being at the correct end for once!!!

there is of the old favorite of prayer!

or the "oh so useful" hit them 15 times without being hit!!!!

aao
-8th April 2004, 14:33
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
i believe epee is the one were you hold your arm out in a straight line from the shoulder close your eyes and hope that your opponent runs onto your point 15 times in a row. i except that normally you are running onto someone else's point but you could try being at the correct end for once!!!

tried that at an a-grade once, it worked :), once :(

there is of the old favorite of prayer!

have high hopes for this one, but feel i might been on slightly ropey ground as i'm not in the strictest sense of the word a particularily good muslim so while 'divine intervention' would be greatly appreciated i'm not sure my entire strategy should be based around this!

or the "oh so useful" hit them 15 times without being hit!!!!

actually i have no problems with my opponent hitting me anything up to 14times providing of course I have hit them just once more than that ;)

Epeecurean
-8th April 2004, 15:44
aao,

Before the bout, do some light warm-ups brandishing a kebab skewer in an intimidating fashion. :sabre: (horse optional)

Then have your back-up mehter/military band strike up the war drums in a slow rhythmic beat. :band:

As you come on guard, have the drums crescendo up, whipping you into a frenzy, and when the director calls "Allez!" charge your opponent screaming "Allalalalalala!!!". :rambo:

That should do the trick. :grin:

Good luck!

Ottoman Mehter (http://www.ottomansouvenir.com/Music/Mehter_Army_Band.htm)

More mehter (http://www.theottomans.org/english/campaigns_army/mehter.asp)

aao
-8th April 2004, 16:03
now thats what i call a plan! :grin:

UglyBug
-8th April 2004, 16:10
Originally posted by aao
anyway back to the important question, does anybody have any idea how to go about beating what will probably be 4 very talented fencers in a row up to 15???

I don't know anything about epee, but you may want to consider the following:

1) Hit them before they hit you
2) DON'T PANIC
3) Shut your eyes and take the parry
4) Crash diet so that you halve your target area

aao
-8th April 2004, 16:11
possibly a slightly difficult plan to implement, (my support team is apparently a turkish mens foilist, sabreur and a coach of some description, none of who have any noticeable musical ability to the best of my knowledge :( )

But none the less one hell of a plan! (i can't shake this nagging doubt that while flying down the piste shouting allalalalala etc, will undoubtably 'suprise' my opponent, their natural reaction may be to skewer me in mid flight :( but never let it be said that i'm not prepared to try something in the name of Olympic qualification :rambo: )

haggis
-8th April 2004, 16:36
aao

While all the previous plans have their merits I'd recommend more traditional methods that have been employed when facing similar difficulties:

1. Cheat - I'm sure there will be a weapons control but a few 'subtle' alterations to the wiring set-up of your epee might just give you the edge you'll need cf. Boris Onischenko in Modern Pentathlon at 1976 Olympics. Warning: you may receive a lifetime ban if caught

2. Bribe the referees - clearly the vast majority of referees cannot be bought but, if you have a large enough pile of cash, I'd give it a go, especially if you know the ref is bitter about not being selected as a referee for the Olympics cf. plenty of rumours about the destination of World Championships being decided not entirely on the basis of the fencers' performances. Warning: you may receive a lifetime ban if caught.

3. Bribe the opposition - probably the trickiest since presumably your competitors will be quite keen to go to the Olympics. However you might be able to find a few that reckon they don't have much of a chance and would find a large donation from a Turkish benefactor would help to ease their disappointment. Again, you wil probably need a big pile of cash. Warning: you may receive a lifetime ban if caughht.

As you can probably see none of these methods are foolproof and there are some attendant risks but if you're looking for advice on your best hope of qualifying I think you will find them here.

Alternatively, you could hope for a kindly draw, a lot of people being off-form and by far the best fencing day of your life. I'm sure stranger things have happened (although I can't think of any off

haggis
-8th April 2004, 16:44
Previous post should finish:

hand.)

However I do wish you the very best of luck

Regards

Haggis
(my PC fell over!)

aao
-8th April 2004, 20:43
Originally posted by haggis
aao

While all the previous plans have their merits I'd recommend more traditional methods that have been employed when facing similar difficulties:

1. Cheat -

an interesting option but with two small pitfalls (apart from the life ban!)

1) i can't help feeling timing pressing the button to make it look realistic, while avoiding being hit in the process possible reuires more skill than actually hitting them the traditional way

2) with my luck with kit its a miracle if i get all my kit to work properly let alone adding in the complication of adding in an extra component to go wrong :dizzy:

2. Bribe the referees

interesting but harder to get away with at epee, as dodgy decisions on right of way just don't exist. Plus also requires staying close enough in the scores to benefit from the odd dodgy decision.

An interesting twist on the above suggestion was tried (unwittingly) by Anton P who the night before an A-grade pulled and slept with the person who turned out to be his ref the following day! alas he still lost so i suspect its probably not the most effective technique (plus with 10 odd mixed sex refs there are just some things even I'm not prepared to do to qualify!)

3. Bribe the opposition

tempting but potentially hideously expensive, plus as you pointed out alot of the top fencers are likely to be some what motivated by the chance of olympic qualification and possibly not to ammenable to cash offerings.

Alternatively, you could hope for a kindly draw, a lot of people being off-form and by far the best fencing day of your life. I'm sure stranger things have happened (although I can't think of any off hand)

well this is really what i'm hoping for, an immense amount of luck coupled with a sudden sustained increase in my fencing ability :) unlikely i grant you but who knows.....l(if i do have to lose I'd prefer it to be to a brit so at least he gets a round closer)

oh and in honour of the event i shall not be going out on the piss the night before no matter what other threads on this forum might suggest about myh pre-tournament warm ups (or for that matter wht my coach suggested i should do!)

PM1
-8th April 2004, 22:03
All I can say alp is - go out, give 'em hell, and enjoy !!! Good luck...

tigger
-16th April 2004, 09:22
Best of luck to all the guys tomorrow.

My gut feeling is that aao will just miss out ;)

L Bond-Williams will qualify, Kruse will qualify. James W 50/50.

Can't see anyone else making it I'm afraid.

Insipiens
-16th April 2004, 17:54
What we need now is a link to the website which will give us the up-to-date as it happens scores.

You know, like the ball-by-ball updates for test match cricket, or the live scoreboard for tennis majors.

:)

Oh, and of course good luck!
:)

Boo Boo
-17th April 2004, 11:13
"
The British Olympic Association has determined that the basic qualifying standard for admittance onto the British Olympic Team for the 2004 Olympic Games will be the achievement of a L16 in a senior World Cup, senior World Championships or senior European Championships during the period from 1 April 2003 to 31 March 2004. It will therefore be a pre-requisite that any entrant to the European Olympic Zonal qualifying competition MUST have achieved this standard. "

Has this rule been relaxed by the BOA?

Good luck to everyone out there - I have my fingers crossed :)

Boo

Stanley
-17th April 2004, 17:30
Anyone know the results yet?? I wasn't able to go there and the official websiet has no results on it yet!!

Boo Boo
-17th April 2004, 17:32
According to my source, Louise B-W and Richard Kruse have both qualified for the Olympics at the Qualifiers - hopefully someone can confirm this very soon.

I also heard that Georgina Usher went out in the L16 and Eloise Smith went out in the L8. So neither qualified.

I believe that James was still in at the L4, but haven't heard anything since. Haven't heard anything about Tom Cadman (or Alp) unfortunately...

Boo

DonnCarnage
-17th April 2004, 18:56
WOOTHA

crt
-18th April 2004, 10:16
results now up.

http://users.pandora.be/confrerie/ost/ost_en_resultaten.htm

Well done to Richard Kruse for winning and Louise Bond Williams coming second.

reposte
-18th April 2004, 11:03
I suppose that I ought to congratulate you on Kruse's success, albeit that it came at the expense of our own Tomer Or.
So congrat's. ;)

Is there a complete list of the Men's foil individual already qualified?

uk_45
-18th April 2004, 11:37
Well done to Kruse and Louise Bond Williams, congrats!

tigger
-18th April 2004, 14:38
Great result for Kruse - looks like no-one got near him over 15. I think he's a genuine medal prospect...outside of course. And LBW only lost the final 15-14.

Gutted for James...

aao
-18th April 2004, 18:36
Well weíre back and what a competition it was! Firstly massive congratulations to both Louise and Richard for their great performances in qualifying for Athens, both fenced unbelievably well and their respective 15-4 victories in their semi final (Olympic qualification) matches is in no way a reflection on the weakness of their opponents but instead a reflection of just how well they fenced to make very tough opponents look so easy. They both fully deserve their places, and yet again showed what truly world class fencers they are.
Nobody who has the opportunity to go to this competition in the future should be under any illusions, this is a competition quite unlike any other, and is far harder than any A-grade, World or European championship, for the first time fencers are competing for a prize which, if asked, most would value above anything else, the chance to go to the Olympics, and from the very first hit you can tell how much pressure they are under and how much they want to succeed.

How did I get on?, well as suspected it was not to be, the mens epee was incredibly tough with 6 out of the worlds top 12 there and virtually all the rest competitors in the top50-100 of the world. There were 4 poules of 6, and to give you an example of the strength of the comp, if my poule had been an A-grade it would have had a niff of 110!.I could only manage to win 1 out of my 5 fights, and while in the past at some A-grades I have felt that I could and should have done better, this time I can honestly say without any shame that I fenced the best I could and was just outclassed by some top world class fencers (e.g. Van lecke, kaaberma and motyka) 1 victory was never going to be enough with 30% being knocked out and I along with 5 others was knocked out after the poules,
Tom didnít have the best of times either with an equally hard poule and he wasnít quite fencing on top form, he won 2 in the poule (narrowly losing the others) and then went out in the 32 to a very good kourfal (who lost very narrowly to the 2nd seed Kaberma in the next round). The epee competition was by far the toughest in the comp and I donít think either me or tom can look back with too many regrets bearing in mind that 4 of the top 10 in the world didnít get through either and Fischer (world number 3) scraped into the olympics, in a great fight with the Spaniard having been 14-12 down with 6 seconds to go! (my heart goes out to the Spaniard who must be having nightmares about how close he came!)

The rest, well James W wasnít really on form either, he scraped past the Turkish junior champ 15-14 in the last 8 (a slightly controversial fight but James on balance probably deserved itÖ.just). but got knocked out in the semi and finished up 4th. The womens epee was yet again very tough with Geogina unfortunately being knocked out in the L16 and Eloise lost in the last 8 (I canít comment to much on their matches as I was able to catch much of their fights but both went out in close fights to top opponents.

A final reflection (and many apologies for the long posting), I really am very grateful to the Turkish federation for sending me, and am glad I got to experience this comp as it really brought into context exactly how good you have to be to be able to go to the Olympics,. Good luck to all those who qualified whatever country youíre from, you deserve it, and for those brits who have decided to retire after this comp you will be sorely missed. Finally for those of you who are looking to do this comp in 4 years time, train hard train very very hard because it will be the toughest challenge you will ever face in your fencing careers.

PM1
-18th April 2004, 19:07
Well done everyone who went - thanks for the detailed post, Alp, and hard luck.

But who had said they are now giving up, for Heaven's sake ??

haggis
-18th April 2004, 20:45
Originally posted by PM1
But who had said they are now giving up, for Heaven's sake ??

Georgina has said that she would retire from international competition after the qualifiers or the Olympics (the qualifiers sadly, as it turned out). I suspect that James might be in the same boat.

Both will be a huge loss to the GB team having turned in genuinely world class performances for many years and shown the level of dedication and commitment required to succeed in this sport.

Delighted for Richard and Louise. I wish them every success in Athens.

PM1
-18th April 2004, 23:31
Oh my - not really "thanks" for such info, but thanks anyway. I hope that is not the way it will be....

aao
-6th May 2004, 16:33
Well the photos seem to be finally up for all those of you who would like to see a few shots of Richard on his way to victory, almost non (bizzarely) of louise for some reason, one of the back of our beloved presidents (and tournement head of DT) head, oh and oddly of me standing as a backdrop to Yuri Van Lecke (of who there are dozens of photos of him standing aroud and checking his weapons.....thrilling!) ((very few of him actually fencing though??))

quick tip click on a photo and use the slide show bit for each section or you don't actually get to see all the photos. the link is at the start of this thread somewhere.

Boo Boo
-6th May 2004, 17:38
Can we club together to buy Richard a GB tracksuit before the Olympics...? ;)

Boo

aao
-6th May 2004, 21:13
he's got one!