PDA

View Full Version : ne Linkin Park, Nirvana, Limp Bizkit and Red Hot Chilli Peppers fans out there?!

madfencer
-23rd March 2004, 10:08
ne Linkin Park, Nirvana, Limp Bizkit and Red Hot Chilli Peppers fans out there?!

iron maiden fan
-23rd March 2004, 14:27
used to like em all but not anymore, sorry:confused:

Pointy stick
-23rd March 2004, 22:30
I bought a Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD the other day "on spec" and it was a bit of a curate's egg: good in parts. I don't think that qualifies me as a fan, though.

madfencer
-24th March 2004, 15:16
wot songs do u like by them? ive only heard a few by R.H.C.P.: under the bridge, californication, scar tissue, fortune faded and by the way. fortune faded is my fav and by the way used to b my fav. linkin park r the best band in the world im sure oddball'll agree. my fav songs by them r : numb, points of authority remix, points of authority, in the end, crawling and from the inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how can u not like em anymore?????!!!!!!!!

iron maiden fan
-25th March 2004, 08:03
dunno, bit too nu metally for me, the new album aint bad though

Gav
-25th March 2004, 08:19
If you like RHCP, check out their earlier stuff. They were, far and away, much much much better back in the 90's than they are now. I think the new album is a bit "easy on the ears"...

If you want to get a taste of their "greatest hits" then get one of their collections.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' or 'Mothers Milk'.

iron maiden fan
-25th March 2004, 10:17
yeh i agree, imo they fucked up after californication

madfencer
-26th March 2004, 09:56
linkin park r the best bsand in the wold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ps. does any1 else think the song take me out by franz ferdinand is really catchy???!!!

madfencer
-26th March 2004, 09:57
nu-metalz cool! linkin park is nu-metal/rock!!!

madfencer
-26th March 2004, 09:57
Originally posted by madfencer
linkin park r the best bsand in the wold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ps. does any1 else think the song take me out by franz ferdinand is really catchy???!!!

sorry 'band'!!!!

Hamley
-26th March 2004, 15:28
LP is the best hand downs, i like limp bizkit and nirvana a little but i hate RHCP for some reason

Arturo
-27th March 2004, 08:43
Nirvana were not bad, but there were so many better guitar bands at the time. The only reason Nirvana got picked up was because Butch Vig pulled out a shiny, commercial production job on Nevermind.

IMO, you're better off listening to:

'Superfuzz BigMuff' by Mudhoney
'Daydream Nation' by Sonic Youth
Almost any Fugazi (but especially the early stuff)

If you don't like them, I'll buy myself a hat and eat it.

Gav
-27th March 2004, 11:54
Originally posted by Arturo
Nirvana were not bad, but there were so many better guitar bands at the time. The only reason Nirvana got picked up was because Butch Vig pulled out a shiny, commercial production job on Nevermind.

IMO, you're better off listening to:

'Superfuzz BigMuff' by Mudhoney
'Daydream Nation' by Sonic Youth
Almost any Fugazi (but especially the early stuff)

If you don't like them, I'll buy myself a hat and eat it.

You really are showing your age Arturo.

Arturo
-28th March 2004, 16:07
Well, music was much better in the old days! Getting all misty-eyed now.

Rdb811
-28th March 2004, 20:13
All this stuff sounds a bit modern if you ask me. Very little that is both new and original has come out for twenty years.

Pointy stick
-28th March 2004, 20:30
Originally posted by Rdb811
Very little that is both new and original has come out for twenty years.

Funny that. 20 years after he died, I was a teenager wearing a Buddy Holly T shirt. Yesterday, 25 years after the album was released, I saw a kid (16 ish) wearing a Clash, London Calling, top, with the album cover reproduced on it.

Seems like music was always better 20 - 25 years ago. If only we'd known at the time.:rolleyes:

Arturo
-29th March 2004, 07:14
I have to agree that most guitar-based music is derivative, but that's unavoidable considering how long it has been around.

However, considering the advent of electronic music and rap, both of which have advanced considerably in the last 20 years, I don't think you can really say that nothing new or original has come out.

Gav
-29th March 2004, 09:18
I have to agree that most guitar-based music is derivative, but that's unavoidable considering how long it has been around.

However, considering the advent of electronic music and rap, both of which have advanced considerably in the last 20 years, I don't think you can really say that nothing new or original has come out.

Agreed. There is plenty of new band or different bands out there. You just have to dig a little harder to find them. A lot of people don't bother looking further than TOTP or MTV and frankly they are missing out on a very rich selection talen that is floating about out there. For ym part I don't listen to much metal, rock or goth any more because it's become quite stale and samey. There is good stuff but the popular stuff just isn't different enough for me.

Some good modern guitar bands [IMHO]:

Tool (avoid "A perfect Circle" until you've heard some Tool. APC are Tool-lite and way too MTV Friendly)
Dillenger Esape plan (good heavy stuff)
Fantomas (on the "Directors Cut album they are a guitar band. This will not be to everyone's taste).
Rico. (brilliant Reznor-esque music - highly recommended).
Godflesh (ok so they are not new. But they are excellent. For an easy introduction check out "us and them".)
Tomohawk. (Another Mike Patton side project. They've picked up where FNM left off).

If you like rap crossover stuff check out:
Dust Junkys (Again not new. Just unheard.)
Techno Animal (think Hard rap meets NIN. The Brotherhood of the Bomb is an excellent heavy dub album).

I could go on at even greater length but I suspect no-one much cares. :grin:

Arturo
-29th March 2004, 12:16
Awwww. I care, Gav!

Gav
-29th March 2004, 12:24
Awwww. I care, Gav!

...Thanks Arturo...

Rdb811
-29th March 2004, 13:03

I meant to say 'both good and original'. There is a lot that is good, but orignal and original but not good.

iron maiden fan
-30th March 2004, 06:48
Well, music was much better in the old days! Getting all misty-eyed now.

damn straight, if anyone likes guns and roses, check out a band called skid row. they were around at the same time as gnr except they're still going, unlike gnr

madfencer
-20th April 2004, 10:14
do u like any of those bands Gav? how r u by the way? did u hav a good easter?

Gav
-20th April 2004, 10:20
Originally posted by madfencer
do u like any of those bands Gav? how r u by the way? did u hav a good easter?

Do I like any of which bands? The bands I listed? Certainly do, and I own all of the albums that I listed.

And yes I had a good easter - didn't do much. Went to an... erm... goth festival here in Edinburgh.

Naughty foilist
-20th April 2004, 11:16
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gav

Went to an... erm... goth festival here in Edinburgh.

Nothing wrong with Goth.

Does Mr Eldritch still fence? Or like Mr Dickinson has another foilist 'retired'?

Gav
-20th April 2004, 11:24
Originally posted by Naughty foilist
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gav

Went to an... erm... goth festival here in Edinburgh.

Nothing wrong with Goth.

Does Mr Eldritch still fence? Or like Mr Dickinson has another foilist 'retired'?

No, it's not that I think that is anything particularly wrong with goth. I like a range of music goth is one of the various genres I listen to. People tend to get the wrong idea when you mention it - that's all. And before Arturo, or anyone else, chimes in I don't wear make up.

I didn't know Mr Eldrich fenced.

Truthfully there was only a couple of bands that I enjoy that were playing. I ducked out to the bar as soon as The Mission showed up [shudder]. Apparently, there are pictures of me looking pleased with myself wandering around wth a Vodka pitcher...:o

madfencer
-20th April 2004, 11:41
THATS SO COOL!!! U WENT 2 A GOTH FESTIVAL?!!! U LUCKY *******!!!!!!! i like goth but im not a proper goth i jst like the clothes and the music n dress goth sometimes!!!!! glad u had a good easter!!! i did...ish... i had duke of edinburgh silver practice so had 2 walk 30kms in 3 days wiv a stone rucksack on my back wiv hardly any breaks and only for bout 5mns. it was hell!!!!!
i meant the bands that i listed by the way. (now ive sed that i hav By the Way by R.H.C.P. in my head!!!!-now itz changed to franz ferdinand take me out-a bloody catchy song!!!)

Gav
-20th April 2004, 12:02
Weeeelll...

I do like RHCP [as I have said] however the more recent stuff isn't very good.

IMHO Nirvana are overrated. The odd good tune but if Kurt hadn't killed himself [and we all suspect that Courtney did it anyway...] then they would have disapeared like the rest of the grunge scene.

As for Linkin Park... No comment other than you may as well listen to Blue and the other boy bands...

madfencer
-20th April 2004, 12:10
i do listen to blue actually!!!!!!! :o i like a variety of music!!!! the only boy bands i like though are blue and busted!!! :o :o :o :o
kurt cobain is sooooooo fit even though hes dead!!!!!!!! itz 10 yrs since his death u kno!!!!!!! itz not hes fault he was depressed!!!

Demonic
-20th April 2004, 18:00
Death to nu metal muhahahaha

friendly violent fun - exodus :tongue:

www.s8uk.com <<club i dj at

nirvana
-20th April 2004, 19:11
older music was better, and im 15... Out of those bands i only like nirvana and chillis, think linkin park are just as bad as busted.

madfencer
-21st April 2004, 12:10
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! thats evil.... uve got good taste in nirvana though...UNLIKE SOME....!!!!!

Gav
-21st April 2004, 12:33
Originally posted by Demonic

www.s8uk.com <<club i dj at

So are you one of the team that put paid to one of my favourite club nights in London at the Electric Ballroom?

Demonic
-21st April 2004, 15:45
Yes i am part of the section 8 crew,we were offered the ballroom so we took it.Full tilt with rex and crew have found a new venue now in Kings Cross..

Overall in my honest opinion goth died along long time ago.I myself used to dj goth and ebm but got sick of the crowd and how boring it all got soi went back to me roots METAL!!! :grin:

Sorry we killed the ballroom but in all honesty it was already dieing :tongue:

Gav
-21st April 2004, 16:07
Overall in my honest opinion goth died along long time ago.I myself used to dj goth and ebm but got sick of the crowd and how boring it all got soi went back to me roots METAL!!! :grin:

Can't argue with you there. The vast majority of goths are boring. Same as any crowd. For the record I am not a goth. I listen to a lot of underground electro stuff (a lot of hard industrial (incl. Needleeye btw - saw them on your site but I've never been in London when they're playing; been on their mailing list for months), eclectic other misc stuff that no-one ever pidgeon holes).

I've got to say that I find the vast vast majority of metal incredibly dull. I listen to very little that comes out of mainstream record companies and usually order direct from the bands when I can. But I do like some of the more obscure stuff when I can get it. And I have to say that when I read the flyer I received about Fridays at the ballroom I thought, "Great, that's all we need another kiddie metal night...

Sorry we killed the ballroom but in all honesty it was already dieing :tongue:

I just loved Full Tilt on Friday - that's all. Got a mate who does a lot of goth DJing up and down the country and he agree's with you [and me]. He DJ's at the only decent night up in Edinburgh, although he is doing that a lot less than he used to.

Actually, I don't know when I'll next be in Camden [Miller Hallet weekend is a possibility although I don't want to be out late the night before I fence] - at least a couple of months away anyway. But I'll check out your new club when I am down. There had better be the podium dancers I was promised on the last flyer I was sent...

hayleyjade
-21st April 2004, 16:13
this thread is seriously itimidating! do you lot actually accpet that others have diferent music tastes? or do you just destroy the little credibitly (in your eyes) the bands have?

whats wrong with just watching mtv? its a good channel!!!!!

Rdb811
-21st April 2004, 17:10
Originally posted by hayleyjade
this thread is seriously itimidating! do you lot actually accpet that others have diferent music tastes? or do you just destroy the little credibitly (in your eyes) the bands have?

Look on the bright side - in the middle ages these chaps would have been into religous schisms.

One of the Streatham fencers is a regular at the Electric Ballroom (and now a serious irregular at fencing).

Demonic
-21st April 2004, 22:03
I do except others have different music tastes yes.At the end of the day everyone also has a right to their own opinion.
My opinion is that to be honest in the fast few years the music industry has come up with very little good alternative bands.
Ive been dj,ing for around 9 years now on the alternative club scene from indie to goth to metal and have seen alot of bands come and go with no major impact on the scene.
Also 'MTV','Kerrang' and other media are owned by record labels there for most underground bands wont ever have a chance to be heard of... And to be honest bands such as 'needleye' may never get the coverage they ritefully deserve :(

Gav mate i agree with you about the 'kiddie metal' clubs around and can rest assure we are 'NOT' one!! well at least my floor anyway :tongue: which plays from ACDC to SYL to Cannibal corpse (and a bit of jovi and kiss to..) :tongue:

BTW yeah we got dancers.Carefull though ones my girlfriend :tongue:

Chris Morgan
-23rd April 2004, 20:59
Arggghhh my m8 likes cannibal corpse, they suck!

J_D
-23rd April 2004, 22:35
Lamenting the demise of Heaven....

Demonic
-24th April 2004, 04:44
as i said everyone has a right too their own opinion :)

Threestain
-24th April 2004, 10:41
Currently still lamenting the downfall of Will Haven. Not only did they put together some fabulous albums, they also wore some very natty suits.

A Perfect Circle are good - feel they're a more melodramatic Tool rather than tool-lite.

I would also say that recent RHCP's albums are a good return to form - but then I have always adored the beach boys.

Any verdict on Opeth (gently dipping the toe into Blackwater Park) or Rammstein (who I really love)?

Oh and on the electronic front - only one man really - Richard D James (Aphex Twin and his many pseudonyms)

And I recommend ATDI and Mars Volta, if only cos I wish I'd learnt to play the guitar left handed instead of right handed (despite being left handed) and kept my hair in homage

Neo
-24th April 2004, 20:38
I only like the Spice Girls and Aqua!

Rumour has it busted was caught in something of a gay orgy in their dressing room...

ChiefyMacT
-25th April 2004, 09:02
Originally posted by Demonic

'Good, friendly violent fun' was pretty good but I prefered 'Pleasures of the felsh'

Hey that would put us both in the right age bracket to remember Sacred Reich - Surf Nicaragua, wouldn't it?

*Goes misty eyed and leans on zimmer*

"When I were a lad all this were thrashers."

Gav
-25th April 2004, 11:10
Opeth are good. Seen them a couple of times. I also like Anathema. Newer stuff is a bit floydy but still excellent.

madfencer
-26th April 2004, 12:12
Kerrang! is a really good music channel. have any of u actually heard of listening to music on it?!

Demonic
-26th April 2004, 17:41
In a matter of fact yes i do watch kerrang sometimes just to get a idea on what new bands are hitting the scene however as i say in my opinion its rubbish as its only the bands with huge record labels that get played this is because they have to pay kerrang TV to show their bands.Now im all for publicity of all acts but dont agree with the way the music industry is run...
What about the little bands that work thier arses off :(

dont mind opeth.Not really club music but great to chill out too.Havent heard any of the new Anathema yet either..

Well MacT you are a bit older than me but yeah i remember 'surf nicaragua' great song in fact im gonna play it at the club on friday
:grin: cant wiat too cause 'WASP' are playing in london soon :)

oddball
-6th May 2004, 11:46
wooo! rocks!!

madfencer
-12th May 2004, 10:15
yep!