PDA

View Full Version : End of Year Bash

aao
-7th May 2003, 22:05
This is just a bit of curiosity on my part, but does anybody think that the BFA should organise and end of year awards ceremony/party. Nothing too plush or expensive but some sort of event where we could all get together hand out a few awards (best junior, most improved fencer etc and a few fun ones best tantrumbest excuse for losing a fight) and then get merrily pissed. This event could conceivably be held on the saturday night of the nationals (as anybody who tells me that they take the team event deadly seriously is quite frankly lying or a cadet!)

so what do you reckon worth doing???

Boo Boo
-7th May 2003, 23:00
Sounds like a good idea to me and I think it would be well attended: people staying for the team event would be tempted to go to the party AND people who stay for the party would be tempted to do the team event (although possibly even more hung over than they would otherwise be...).

It would be a good way to celebrate a very long season (then its 6 weeks fitness training before it all starts AGAIN! :eek: ).

All you need is some poor soul to volunteer to organise it...

Boo
(no, I am not volunteering ;) )

Muso440
-8th May 2003, 08:28
Where *are* the nationals, incidentally? (says stupid uninformed beginner person):(

Boo Boo
-8th May 2003, 08:36
They are held at RAF Cosford which is very near to Telfrod (just off of the M54, North of Birmingham).

Boo

Aoife
-8th May 2003, 10:55
Sounds great to me (no, I'm *certainly* not voluntering).

I really want to go and watch the nationals this year.

*fingers corssed*

Boo Boo
-8th May 2003, 11:20
Aoife

Please clear down your (full) mail box - I can't get a PM to you :(

Boo

doobarz
-8th May 2003, 11:42
Sounds like a good idea, but you held it hten would you ever get a venue for everyone? I think the organisers of Norfolk would contest the Nationals being the last event of the season. And the teams who win the Nationals would also contest it - I know some coaches/ clubs really like to win.

Could we not just all go to the AGM, get the business over with and then have a bash?

Doobarz

aao
-8th May 2003, 11:49
I don't think people would go for an event which was not attached to a comp and the alas te AGM is at the worng time of the year and waaaay too boring. As for the Norfolk well bearing in min most of the people who would win the good awards wouldn't go to it theres hardly any point.

As for the Teams Doobarz, Salle Jakab can try but so long as LTFC fancy entering you're not going to win so you may as well go drinking cos I know we will ;)

Aoife
-8th May 2003, 12:18
Please clear down your (full) mail box - I can't get a PM to you

Cleared, sorry :)

Moose
-10th May 2003, 18:54
Hmmmmmm, maybe a hybrid is needed, I'm sure the AGM would be far more interesting if we had a "drink vodka down an epee blade" competition between speeches :)

Failing that why not simply just organise a big pissup in London say, maybe see if LP feel like giving a factory tour before the pub crawl, could even invite the Paul's out for a drink or two, after they have made my new jacket and breeches that is ;)

Tho London is quite a distance for a lot of us it is actually quite easy (and cheap) to get there cos most airports offer cheap shuttle flights to London. Could really bring the "Fencers are coming to town" story to life :)

Hudson
-10th May 2003, 19:03
Is London ready for an event of such magnitude?
Though i do like the idea of an organised factory visit, What ya say Barry?

Aoife
-11th May 2003, 13:08
Tho London is quite a distance for a lot of us it is actually quite easy (and cheap) to get there

And it's much much closer for me!!!!

Moose
-11th May 2003, 15:46
Lol, trust an epeeist to spot good distance ;)

Hudson
-11th May 2003, 17:08
Maybe something could be aranged for some time in Aug for a bit of a social do somewhere?

Moose
-11th May 2003, 19:16
Hmmmmm I shall be VERY careful not to volunteer to organise anything while in the secondary fencing state (piste).

However I am going to visit ye olde shoppe of messrs Paul tomorrow, so if anyone fancies a social drink they are more than welcome to join me :)

Moose
-16th May 2003, 14:06
Super Stealthy Ninja *Bump*

Sasori
-16th May 2003, 15:37
We already do this in Scotland, kinda, it's called Inverclyde. End of the Scottish comps for the season

...there are other competitions SOUTH of the BORDER?????....

don't know if i want to go there...:eekk2:

Moose
-16th May 2003, 18:32
South of the border? Oh you mean France! What is this Scotland thing you're talking about?

whizzkid1982
-22nd May 2003, 09:43
Originally posted by aao
As for the Teams Doobarz, Salle Jakab can try but so long as LTFC fancy entering you're not going to win so you may as well go drinking cos I know we will ;) [/B]

hhhmmmmm. this does depend on LTFC sabreurs fencing for LTFC and not all going to Brentwood!!!

Homer
-22nd May 2003, 10:22
who do you think is fencing for brentwood.
I think this is just another 1 of fencings' vicious rumours!!!

whizzkid1982
-22nd May 2003, 11:42
last few times i've been down there has not been the same levels of attendance as in the past. i'm geussing that people are training somewhere else? could be anywhere.

aao
-22nd May 2003, 12:45
or maybe they're just not training?! (surely not I hear you gasp, not our sabreurs!a more dedicated bunch of fencers couldn't be found......NOT)

They'll still win thou!

randomsabreur
-22nd May 2003, 13:36
Actually, most of us try to take fencing Thames seriously, coz we really want to win!