PDA

View Full Version : Will the Political Correctness of the F.I.E. lead to the wrong fencer winning an

Barry Paul
-23rd March 2004, 15:29
Olympic Gold.

Instead of taking the best referees in the World the F.I.E. has decided to include referees from all continents regardless of whether they are the best. No doubt with an eye to the next Presidential elections which take place at/just after the Olympics.

Unfortunately the powers that be believe that epee is easy and can be left to less experienced referees. On top of this is the news that some countries Russia, France are offering cash prizes of up to £1000,000 for each gold medal.

So the score is 14 all, the fencers collide. pass, and a hit is scored from no where. The winner is on a cash prize of a million, some one has suggested a 10% payment which is twenty years average wage, if the referee helps.

Now thatís what I call a difficult call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Barry Paul M.D. Leon Paul.

3 Card Trick
-24th March 2004, 08:41
Still - nice to know that temptation won't be put in the way of any of the GBR Refs - who incidentally have a near 100% attendance at competions of the FIE/Taking finals record between them at Epee.

Marcos
-24th March 2004, 09:20
Football World Cup all over again

Epeecurean
-24th March 2004, 10:33
Originally posted by Barry Paul
On top of this is the news that some countries Russia, France are offering cash prizes of up to £1000,000 for each gold medal.

One million?!? Is that pounds or roubles? ;)

Googled this but couldn't find any info.

How much do Brits get for gold?

Barry Paul
-24th March 2004, 10:47
Even a million Dollars will do.

UglyBug
-24th March 2004, 11:40
Originally posted by Epeecurean
One million?!? Is that pounds or roubles? ;)

Googled this but couldn't find any info.

How much do Brits get for gold?

A pat on the back and picture in the Sword? Incidentally, who has qualified? Or is it just based on the zonals still to happen?

Australian
-24th March 2004, 14:16
Originally posted by UglyBug
A pat on the back and picture in the Sword? Incidentally, who has qualified? Or is it just based on the zonals still to happen?

no british teams have made it through the initial stages, and i doubt any will be selected in the 2nd stage, thus your fencers will have to do very well at zonals to have any brits at the games

Boo Boo
-24th March 2004, 15:22
Not sure that we are sending any teams to the zonal team qualifiers...

(got the impression that we haven't done m/any team events since the World Championships in Havana...)

Boo

Australian
-24th March 2004, 15:29
Originally posted by Boo Boo

(got the impression that we haven't done m/any team events since the World Championships in Havana...)

Boo

there arn't any zonal team qualifiers :)

i meant individuals in the second and further stages, sorry

Boo Boo
-24th March 2004, 15:35
Ooopsss, got confused - both by your email and somebody selling me misinformation...

Hopefully a few brits will get exceptional results at the qualifiers (quite possible, just depends on performance on the day...)

Boo

Epeecurean
-24th March 2004, 15:37
Originally posted by Boo Boo

Boo

There is no zonal team qualifying competition like there are for the indis. The teams qualify only from the world cup rankings: the top 4 in the world rankings plus the top team in each of the 4 zones (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas). The team world cups are pretty much done and team qualification determined.

I get the impression that the BFA has decided that the European zone is just too tough to even bother fielding teams for the world cups. A bit of a shame really.

Boo Boo
-24th March 2004, 15:41
Yes, sorry, my mind is falling apart today... :(

Originally posted by Epeecurean
I get the impression that the BFA has decided that the European zone is just too tough to even bother fielding teams for the world cups. A bit of a shame really.

There was quite a bit of effort/support behind some of the teams, but that seemed to fall away after disappointing results at the World Championships... (a bit sad, because teams need effort and time to develop/build...).

Hopefully the BFA has a medium/longer term plan that means that they will soon start developing teams for the next Olympics (in four years time)...

Boo
(eternal optimist)

Keith.A.Smith
-25th March 2004, 21:28
Dear all,

I am now being sent by FIE to Athens. Will resist temptation to either make mistakes or taske bribes!!

Keith

Barry Paul
-26th March 2004, 17:19
Congratulations for being selected, can you keep a diary of interesting events and let us know what really goes on. How about a posting every evening/morning. It would be great to read real fencing news. Barry Paul

P.S. That envelop stuffed with money marked 'Get me into the Olympics I am a celebrity'. Did you sent it to me by mistake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uk_45
-26th March 2004, 18:17
Yeah congrats hopefully that means there will be people that know what they are talking about there.

randomsabreur
-29th March 2004, 11:39
I was at the last WS A-grade before the Olympic qualifying dates.
Obviously it was v. stressful for those chasing places. Some particularly interesting moments:

Fight in ?L64 between 2 French fencers, 1 was just inside the top 8, 1 nowhere near. the one who was nowhere near was winning 8-4 at the break, there was a chat with team managers and suddenly she was giving away very easy hits. Ref calls the fencers to the middle, gives them a talking to, and the fight becomes a fight again, but the top 8 fencer wins in the end!!!

2 The american situation! 1 of them ended up 3rd, but not enough to win!!!

Incidentally, looking at who has qualified already, it seems eminiently possible for LBW to get though the qualifier.

The position for MS is much tougher as it looks like Germany and Poland will have fencers in the qualifier!