PDA

View Full Version : one-hit bouts



PKT
-23rd March 2004, 21:54
How many of you use the one-hit round robin during practice? Of course it's steam.

In our club, we spend half the practice session doing that and the remainder doing electric. The kids - juniors - are improving as a result of that, methinks.

If one of us forget his lame' then we do the whole session doing 1-hit round robin.

PK

hokers
-23rd March 2004, 22:52
Never done that. We generally fight to 15, or 10 if there is a lot of competition for the two boxes (10 sabreurs at Kingston tonight!)

Very difficult to be accurate with ROW doing steam sabre surely?

randomsabreur
-24th March 2004, 09:44
Steam sabre's success as a training thing is entirely reliant on the honesty of your opponent, but with experienced fencers who know when they have been hit and are willing to say that a hit has arrived, it works.

If someone is dishonest, it can cause a lot of pain and hassle for all concerned.

I tend not to train much at electrics. Lames are too expensive, and it takes more time to get ready so you get fewer fights in. Also it is too hot.

uk_45
-24th March 2004, 15:39
Yeah we do it alot and it works well.

PKT
-25th March 2004, 07:28
Originally posted by randomsabreur
Steam sabre's success as a training thing is entirely reliant on the honesty of your opponent, but with experienced fencers who know when they have been hit and are willing to say that a hit has arrived, it works.

If someone is dishonest, it can cause a lot of pain and hassle for all concerned.

For goodness sakes, it's practice. If one has to cheat at training...


Originally posted by randomsabreur
I tend not to train much at electrics. Lames are too expensive, and it takes more time to get ready so you get fewer fights in. Also it is too hot.

So i guess you don't compete at all? Pity.

PK

PKT
-25th March 2004, 07:36
Originally posted by hokers
Never done that. We generally fight to 15, or 10 if there is a lot of competition for the two boxes (10 sabreurs at Kingston tonight!)

Very difficult to be accurate with ROW doing steam sabre surely?

As randomsabreur pointed out, 1-hit steam sabre depends on the level of competence of whoever's refing as well as the honesty of the partiicpants.

It's a good training tool in that one has to fight as if it was 14-14 and the championship is on the line, or, you lose you pack up and go home. In other words, it helps one to get used to the pressure situation.

Furthermore, it forces the participants to learn to ref. In order to be the next one to get on, one has to ref the bout.

With sabre and foil if one does not know the finer points of the RoW from a ref's point of view, one'd be at a distinct disadvantage.

As they say, try it, you'll like it.

In fact we sometimes forego electric to fence only 1-hit, it's more exciting.

PK

randomsabreur
-29th March 2004, 11:52
Originally posted by PKT
For goodness sakes, it's practice. If one has to cheat at training...

Actually, certain people do, possible beacuse they don't compete much. The big advantage for foil is that you see the dent!!!

So i guess you don't compete at all? Pity.

PK

Actually I do (currently in the British top 10), Basically don't have a free weekend until mid may!. I have a lame (or actually 3) and they cost too much to replace, training means that you get very little wear out of them!!!!!! LP lame is quite abrasive so it doesn't take many fights for them to not be good enough for competitions with weapon controls! But now I have 3, I can afford to use that one for training!

If you fence people who are competent and honest, it is fine, you know if you are hit or not, you get more fights in an evening because you don't have to wait for a box to be free, you just need a bit of space, you don't have the faff of people's kit breaking, the spool not working, and less experienced (or unco-ordinated experienced) fencers taking a bit of time in attaching themselves.

I probably don't train with electrics enough, but with experience, you know what would and wouldn't have landed and you usually give the benefit of doubt to the hit not having come up, so you get ready for the next action, and don't get into the (dreadful) habit of looking at the box after every action!

PKT
-30th March 2004, 02:35
so, RS, are you featured in the LP 2003 British Nationals video?

i use my faulty lame' for practice. i mended the dead spots using silver threads that one can get from
http://members.shaw.ca/ubik/thread/questions.html
so the lame' basically works 100% but won't pass any control but will work for all practical purposes.

it's more affordable this way.

pk

randomsabreur
-30th March 2004, 11:41
doubt I will be on the video, but made the L8 of the comp.

In the past I used newer lame for internationals and older for domestics. Sadly newer lame expired recently!!!! so have had to buy new lightweight one, which is lovely!!! (as are my parents for deciding to give it to me as an early birthday present!) and can relegated newer old one to domestic comps and old scruffy one to little comps and training. Both of the older lames are patched with lame cloth, but weapon controls look very hard for dead spots on patched kit!!

But the other arguments about time taken with you or opponent faffing with kit being better spent actually fencing still stand in my opinion!

PKT
-5th April 2004, 05:13
Originally posted by randomsabreur
...

But the other arguments about time taken with you or opponent faffing with kit being better spent actually fencing still stand in my opinion!

geez, you don't fence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week..., do you?

I do my sewing when i'm resting seated in front of the TV. The way i look at it is that the sewing gives my mind a break and it saves me money which admittedly, and it seems that you agree, is a very limited resource.

Another angle is that methinks the ladies prefer/appreciate men who know how to do things like sewing and cooking...
: )


pk

randomsabreur
-5th April 2004, 18:46
Have you not seen some people taking about at week to put on their mask, adjust their hair, clip on, discover mask clip isn't present, locate glove on the other side of the room...

Likewise, have you ever had to squeeze your hand up someone's lame jacket to get at the loop on the white jacket as the loop has come off.

I have 2 hours at a fencing session, I would prefer to use them fencing than locating an electrical fault (wish more people would resistance check bodywires occasionally!!!)


Originally posted by PKT
geez, you don't fence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week..., do you?

I do my sewing when i'm resting seated in front of the TV. The way i look at it is that the sewing gives my mind a break and it saves me money which admittedly, and it seems that you agree, is a very limited resource.

Another angle is that methinks the ladies prefer/appreciate men who know how to do things like sewing and cooking...
: )


pk

PKT
-5th April 2004, 21:31
RS,

i can't agree with you more: i too prefer fencing rather than locating electrical faults or equipment failures.

i do therefore carry my extra sets of body chords and extra sabres to practice. It's simple, i keep all my fencing stuff in my fencing bag...everything, and as someone mentioned, almost the kitchen sink too.
[i started a new thread: What do you have in your fencing bag?]

PK