PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of setting up new Uni club

Threestain
-26th March 2004, 10:01
One of my friends and I are thinking of setting up a new fencing club at Imperial, primarily for the Medics, but also for anyone who lives in Hammersmith (as the main Imperial Club train at stupid times - 12:30 on a week day! Who has that time off - not even me!), and I'm wondering if anyone has any additional advice - the union stuff should be ok (my friend is a bar manager currently so knows the ins and outs). I know the coaching situation in London at the moment is very limited - ie not enough coaches, does anyone have more info/knows coaches suiitable for a beginners club. I could do some coaching, but I'm not sure I want to do that much as it'll eff up my fencing I think (well it might not, but its a handy excuse!)

Thanks,

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 10:22
Where would you find the time??? Med student, world class fencer...

I think it is an admirable idea, but these things do tend to require a lot of time and effort (depending on how you approach it of course and what support you have from other people).

Most of the people I know who are heavily involved in running or coaching at a club, don't tend to have much time to fence themselves. This is fine for those who are not hugely competitive, but assuming that you still have some really serious fencing ambitions, it wouldn't be easy...

As an aside, Tristan Parris only coaches foil (and not epee) because he doesn't want to mess his epee timing up (i.e. start doing lesson timing in epee competitions...). But you might know this already...

Ideally you want someone else to do all of the admin/gofer work and maybe you turn up regularly to take footwook sessions and inspirational/good example things like that (which could provide you with benefit too).

Don't mean to sound discouraging, just don't think it is a good idea to spread yourself too thinly...

Boo

Threestain
-26th March 2004, 10:45
Don't worry Boo Boo - had already realised the pitfalls of such an exercise. A classic case, yes in theory it would be good but hard to put into practice, and the other guy is very much more keen to set it up. I still do have ambitions despite the rather shocking year, so it would be more of what you descibed - footwork and occasionaly a little fencing. Am sure the other guy cancope with running it - after all he's half of the brains behind turning the medic bar from one the Imperial union ran at a loss, to one that's run by 2 med students and about 10,000 above budget! (in a good way)

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 11:02
Good. Make the most of your time now - whilst you are young and fit - to make the most of your talent and achieve your own fencing ambitions :)

This year was always going to be an increibly tough year :(. Time to start working towards the next Olympics with four good international seasons full of good results along the way :)

When you are old, tired and have knackered joints, then is the time to take your good intentions and set-up clubs, help run the BFA and/or be a great coach... ;)

Sounds like your friend can make a success of setting up the club and you can provide a little creative guidance and some inspiration (without making any negative impact on your own training and focus)...

Boo

aao
-26th March 2004, 11:41
Coach wise have a chat with somebody like Lance or Kirsty who are good coaches especially for uni level and currently run the adult begginers/improvers classes for Thames. if you email maggie she should have all their contact details. althernatively have a chat with Nealy T who has taken up coaching.

p.s. surely heavily beating a top international Turk yesterday should have cheered you up?? ;)

Threestain
-26th March 2004, 12:16
Ok, will do. Probably best to get Neale as I'm sure the others will be busy at Thames, no? Actually this could work VERY well for thames too as the uni club could become a feeder club - only over the water. And we might be able to dig up some old consultant who did it back in his day... Anton, where are you when we need you! Like the sounds of it Alp?

also was partially cheered by yesterday - even if it did take my girlfriend and two bust epees to make me fence properly (hope the bruises are better!). However today has been a bit of downer with bad news from home so there we go - life's ups and downs and all.

Annoyingly, fencing better than ever (except for occaisional blips) at the moment but nothing to fence for. Bugger!

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 12:26
Originally posted by Threestain
Annoyingly, fencing better than ever (except for occaisional blips) at the moment but nothing to fence for. Bugger!

Have you qualified for the Europeans yet? If so, there is always qualifying/training for that.

Of course, on a more serious note, there is always putting in the training for a good result at the Winton Cup ;) (at least, that is, if you are fencing for the South West...)

Hope that the bad home news wasn't too bad.

Boo

Threestain
-26th March 2004, 12:36
Ah yes the winton. training is indeed needed to ensure liver can cope!

Plus 5 nations next weekend - have to teach the dirty english a lesson!

europeans - don't know if qualified yet - apparently may have done thanks to Tunis last year (confused - so am I!) Might be worth taking out a few turks there too!

news wasn't good, but not unexpected.

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 12:51
Hhhmmm, well you need to work on your Scottish accent for the 5 Nations, but the 5 Nations should provide good (liver/drinking) training for Winton - especially since you have joined the Scottish team ;) (who take their drinking VERY seriously). Am sure the English team will club together to buy you a couple of dozen pints on the FRIDAY night... :)

You were aware that the Scottish team have to fence in kilts (800N FIE sporan required, of course!) this year, weren't you...?

GB Selection for Europeans seems to be 1st April 2003 until end of March 2004 - so would imagine Tunis fits in that time frame. What's been happening with ME team World Cups - have any been done since Havana last October?

Boo

Threestain
-26th March 2004, 12:59
We did Tauber and were beaten by Spain in 32 (or rather one person on the spanish team - the "crap" one) again - they beat us in Havana too. After that at 400 (we had some money back for that one but not others) we thought it wasn't worth it - no chance of qualifying or even improving our place that much, better to lose all the points and get drawn against other people!

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 13:06
Shame :(

Tauber was a team event without an individual? Know what you mean about expense: team events are better if they are straight after an individual competition - then you only have to pay for an extra night rather than a whole trip just to do the team event...

Wish that the BFA had the money to pay team event expenses... (rather than just the entry fee and occasionally, although not always/often, a little more)

It's frustrating to keep getting drawn against the same team. Also must be frustrating to go out in the L32 - since you are straight out (i.e. don't fence off for place - like you do in the L16 etc.).

Threestain
-26th March 2004, 13:19
that's 400 entry fee. which we got 200 back thanks to the kindness of John Haynes. Ordinarily they do not pay ANY of the entry fee. It cost us an additional 200 ish each to get there etc

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 13:21
that's 400 entry fee. which we got 200 back thanks to the kindness of John Haynes. Ordinarily they do not pay ANY of the entry fee. It cost us an additional 200 ish each to get there etc

Blimey!!! Is that new? The last two team events I did (Feb 2003 and June 2003), the entry fees were fully re-inbursed (although both sets of entry fees were CONSIDERABLY lower than 400 Euros...).

That's not good :(

Threestain
-26th March 2004, 13:30
FIE raised entry fee to 400 this year. because its olympic year and everyone has to do them... they cynically thought they'd make some money.

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 13:36
Thanks for this - would hate to turn up to a team event, not realising, and have to magic 400 Euros from somewhere... :(.

I can really see a lot of fencers wanting to pay 100/140 Euros each to fence in a team event... :(.

Any BFA people (Keith/Graham) got an approach for this? Or are team events going to become either hugely subsidised (i.e. completely paid for) by fencers or just not done?

Boo
(who used to think paying to do Excalibur was a bit much... and that was only about 10...)

aao
-26th March 2004, 14:15
Ok, will do. Probably best to get Neale as I'm sure the others will be busy at Thames, no? Actually this could work VERY well for thames too as the uni club could become a feeder club - only over the water. And we might be able to dig up some old consultant who did it back in his day... Anton, where are you when we need you! Like the sounds of it Alp?

I don't see why not, having a few doctors around is always useful ;)

europeans - don't know if qualified yet - apparently may have done thanks to Tunis last year (confused - so am I!) Might be worth taking out a few turks there too!

you know you might get your wish, theres a strong possibiltiy that yuo will have not 1, not 2 but 3 yes thats right 3 Turkish epeeists out there (thereby nearly exhausting our supply of competent epeeists! ;)) not only will we do the individuals but we might well enter the team event too. so a wooden spoon playoff match in the L64 could beckon.................(if you lost to us you realise you would be forever mocked!)

oh and as for beating up poor and worryingly defenless turks (I forgot to parry! :dizzy:) turks well you better watch out at 2 of them are bigger than you! :sam:

Rdb811
-27th March 2004, 14:58
If you need any advice on running a club, drop me a line - I've a working knowledge of most of the London coaches (from finding to find a new one a couple of years ago) - you may still have to run the club at an odd hour to find a coach though. And don't try and do it yourself.