PDA

View Full Version : Foil clubs in Hull on Mondays

ChubbyHubby
-26th March 2004, 11:44
Does anyone know if there is a reasonable foil club fencing on Mondays up near Hull?

Have to go up north for a couple of days to see a customer and don't fancy just being stuck in the hotel room.

Quite happy to drive 45mins/hour or so each way to get a few hits.

Prometheus
-26th March 2004, 12:45
You could try Renaissance Fencing Club but they're on Fridays - Maybe they know of anything in that area on Mondays. I'd guess nothing quite the level you would prefer.

www.renaissance.ukf.net (http://www.renaissance.ukf.net/)

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 12:57
Hull Uni meets on Monday evenings (8 until 10pm) - http://www.goparker.com/fencing/training.php

Not sure if they allow non-uni visitors though (you know what some Universities are like....). I can't see any contact details on their web pages though...

Boo
(trying to keep Chubby out of mischief whilst he is away from home...)

ChubbyHubby
-26th March 2004, 13:06
Originally posted by Prometheus
You could try Renaissance Fencing Club but they're on Fridays - Maybe they know of anything in that area on Mondays. I'd guess nothing quite the level you would prefer.

www.renaissance.ukf.net (http://www.renaissance.ukf.net/)

I am not fussy about the level really as long as they at least fence electric. There is always simple moves to practice, annoy a few locals with bent arm attacks etc... ;)

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 13:18
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
There is always simple moves to practice, annoy a few locals with bent arm attacks etc... ;)

Providing you don't hope to get GIVEN any bent arm attacks or flicks, you will have fun... ;)

Prometheus
-26th March 2004, 13:22
There's a couple of 'bicycle chain wielding' clubs in Hull (with the faint but stale aroma of herring) on Friday nights, not sure they're still roaming around on Mondays but you never know your luck.......:chair:

Hull Uni? "Isn't one of the three great universities?" [Blackadder]

Visit the Mandela SU - très elengant et sophistiqué.

PM1
-26th March 2004, 14:19
Oi!!!! I may be poorly sick, but don't knock Hull, challenging to be one of the top 10 cities in the UK.......yeah yeah.....

Will see what I can find out for you, but try the Yorkshire web site - the new one, that is. And Tubby has better networks than me about things like this

ChubbyHubby
-26th March 2004, 14:27
PM1 that would be great if you could find out anything, the Hull Uni fencing club website is a bit usless in that there are no contact details.

Quite happy to drive around in search of a few hits.

Doesn't even have to be a club, quite happy to pay to hire a badminton court in some sports hall if people can borrow a set of box and spools from somewhere.

Just keen to get some training in because otherwise I will probably only have a couple of sessions (if that) in the next couple of weeks. Not good before Birmingham!

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 14:42
Doesn't even have to be a club, quite happy to pay to hire a badminton court in some sports hall if people can borrow a set of box and spools from somewhere.

You should see him in this current "cold turkey state" - he even shakes...

Does Hull have a "classical fencing" club nearby - he might even get desperate enough for that.... ;)

PM1
-26th March 2004, 14:47
Pah !! Leeds fencing club meets Mondays, 8 til 10, Kirkstall Leisure centre, Kirkstall Road. Will poss be seeing Dave Jerry, one of the coaches tonight, but i'll pm his mobile number.

Dave Hillier
-26th March 2004, 14:50
The uni club probably won't be open this close to easter.

Our undergrads finished on Friday and won't be back for a while, it's lovely and quiet at the moment.

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 14:56
It says, on their web site, that they are open up to (and including) Friday 2nd April - so will/should be open next Monday...

PM1
-26th March 2004, 15:01
Hey Boo - do you think Matt Shearman would be a match for Chubby?? Shall I see what I can do ??

Boo Boo
-26th March 2004, 15:03
I am sure that Chubby would enjoy fencing Matt again - he fenced him (in the DE) at Slough a month or two ago.

Boo

PM1
-26th March 2004, 15:08
OK - will see what I can broker........

Tubby
-29th March 2004, 11:02
Chubbyhubby
I can't make it tonight out to hull as its parent/teachers night but more importantly my maraging is on the blink, my brand spanking new Allstar is in the post being returned to Scotland as it was white light on constantly and my flickmeister has a S bend in the horzontal as well as the vertical planes.
Though last teacher sess is 7:00, last say 15 mins, Harrogate to Hull 1 hour 15 mins .............. what time you and Matt doing it?

Tubby
-29th March 2004, 11:08
Doh!
You'd be driving up to Hull right about now so won't see my post.

Boo Boo
-29th March 2004, 11:12
Hi Tubby

Nice to see you on Saturday. Hope that the training session was very constructive, enjoytable and worth the long drive. How did the epee go yesterday?

Chubby is in Hull now (working) - went up last night :(

Think he is meeting Matt at about 7pm for an hour or so.

(he may not have access, but still has his spies... ;) ).

Boo

Tubby
-29th March 2004, 15:20
can't make it for 8:30 let alone 7 as how would it look for the school governor to bunk off parent teachers to go fencing with his younger slimmer better looking twin.

epee was ok, daughter won but field size was 4. One came from London (USA U10 epee bronze medalist).

Daughter enjoyed UH TA. Doesn't want to do footwork again! Only point I'd want to make was that the coaches should have been looking after the younger end of the spectrum in the early fencing session rather than the older end as all sorts of myths and legends were being rolled out as to whose hit. Whereas the older ones (and invited) can ref themselves. I was particularly pleased to see Linda correcting back foot and arm positions of the younger end, I suppose the older end are too far gone to bother with if they turn their foot over.

Boo Boo
-29th March 2004, 15:32
That's a shame - maybe next time (hopefully I will be able to come up too at some point... :) - although Chubby does not have business up there too often...).

Sounds like a disappointing entry for that age group - although good result (and beat the good American) :). Did she enjoy it?

Footwork was excellent (I think that Pierre was doing similar sorts of exercises to what Linda was doing with the little ones) - wished we had done more :)

The turnout was one of the biggest that they have had - maybe could do with more coaches to help out with the younger ones during the fencing bits...

I was impressed by the behaviour and effort put in by the younger kids. The standard also appeared good (with maybe the exception of one of the boys I fenced.... haven't a clue who he was, but he was an incredibly "odd" fencer... :o )

Way too far gone ;)

Boo

ChubbyHubby
-29th March 2004, 20:45
Just wanted to thank PM1 for "brokering" the session.

We had enough people for a quick poule of 5 in the end, which was good.

Please thank Hilary and Matt's dad (sorry, don't know his name) for me too.

Tubby, maybe next time I'll try arranging meeting on a Friday when the club in Hull meets.

Or bring your kit along to the next TA session, much better than just freezing in a sports hall!

PM1
-29th March 2004, 20:48
You are more than welcome, Dom. Hope the troups whipped ass well - will catch up on what if any equipment was made available to you all. Matt's dad is Ian.

We aim to please - sorry I was unable to be there too - see you in Birmingham!!:grin: :grin:

Tubby
-29th March 2004, 23:49
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Sounds like a disappointing entry for that age group - although good result (and beat the good American) :). Did she enjoy it?

Footwork was excellent (I think that Pierre was doing similar sorts of exercises to what Linda was doing with the little ones) - wished we had done more :)
She thought it was alright, still prefers foil, but we'll turn her yet mhawhahahah..

Had I done the foot work session I'd have had to call it a day for good, you're too much like a masochist

Tubby
-30th March 2004, 00:02
Tubby, maybe next time I'll try arranging meeting on a Friday when the club in Hull meets.

Or bring your kit along to the next TA session, much better than just freezing in a sports hall! If you're anywhere near North Yorkshire on a Wednesday (term time) come to Harrogate, mind you, bring your epee as well.

Big doubt for the next TA as it clashes with Warwick epee and some kid's party. Daughter enjoyed the competitive fencing at the TA, I've already paid for Warwick and the mate's party is a party:party: So who knows which way we'll go? I certainly don't. However next TA I come to I will definately bring my kit, I don't mind getting my a£$% whalloped by a bunch of kids. Older folk, now thats different.

ChubbyHubby
-30th March 2004, 21:23
Older folk? at TA? no one over 21 there... :confused: