PDA

View Full Version : Lopsided Muscles

n_freebody
-15th February 2013, 11:37
Hi,

After treating myself to my first ever sports massage yesterday the physio guy pointed out that I have very uneven muscles, especially in my back. One side is stronger than the other and as a result my hips have gone wonky. This is hardly suprising and I would imagine a large portion of fencers have this to some extent and 8 years of bad footwork and leaning forward too much while I fence certainly hasnt helped.

Other than working on my posture during fencing is there any exercises people can recomend that are good for developing good even muscles (especially in the back area)? Or is it just a case of doing more of the 'core' work exercises listed elsewhere in this forum?

Cheers in advance

cesh_fencing
-15th February 2013, 12:06
Hi,

After treating myself to my first ever sports massage yesterday the physio guy pointed out that I have very uneven muscles, especially in my back. One side is stronger than the other and as a result my hips have gone wonky. This is hardly suprising and I would imagine a large portion of fencers have this to some extent and 8 years of bad footwork and leaning forward too much while I fence certainly hasnt helped.

Other than working on my posture during fencing is there any exercises people can recomend that are good for developing good even muscles (especially in the back area)? Or is it just a case of doing more of the 'core' work exercises listed elsewhere in this forum?

Cheers in advance

Pretty much everyone is lopsided, whether fencers or general public as most people are either right or left handed. Fencing increases this, however bad technique (especially too much weight on front foot) makes it even worse.

I would suggest firstly the simple things, allocate part of your footwork time to practice with your other hand. This is an easy way of helping and can be really useful for your normal footwork as you really have to think about it if you are going to do it right.

As for specific excercises, I would suggest next time you are at an event where Herman Fenton is running the first aid area, to go in and see him as he will be able to give you great information as he has many years of experience of fencing specific Sports Massage/Therapy issues.

n_freebody
-15th February 2013, 12:12
I would suggest firstly the simple things, allocate part of your footwork time to practice with your other hand. This is an easy way of helping and can be really useful for your normal footwork as you really have to think about it if you are going to do it right.

As for specific excercises, I would suggest next time you are at an event where Herman Fenton is running the first aid area, to go in and see him as he will be able to give you great information as he has many years of experience of fencing specific Sports Massage/Therapy issues.

Cheers :) I already do the occasional footwork with the other foot but I will try making it more regular. As for Herman Fenton when I figure out who he is, I will check that out as well.

JackSparrow
-15th February 2013, 12:19
...is there any exercises people can recomend that are good for developing good even muscles (especially in the back area)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOnQptB2ZI

n_freebody
-15th February 2013, 14:16
Oops my appologies... looks like I was a little premature on starting a new thread on this topic. My bad.