PDA

View Full Version : Fencing Films

Nick
-28th March 2004, 20:10
Basically I've been wondering if people can name any films with modern fencing in them?
I've already seen
"By the Sword" with F. Murray Abraham and "The Last Musketeer" with Robson Greene.
I have no particular feeling about how old the films be or how good or bad the story is I'm just looking for modern fencing in films.
(not including "Richie Rich" or the remake of "The Parent Trap")

Gav
-29th March 2004, 06:22
I'm going to stick this in Chit Chat. It's been gone over before but... here's some recommendations of mine.

Scaramouche
The Four Musketeers
The Return of the Four Musketeers
The Duellists
The count of Monte Cristo (there's loads of versions of this but I liked the most recent one)
Cyrano De Bergerac
Sunshine (this can be hard to get but features some very nice scenes of one of the pre WWII Olympics. Be warned that it is a bit harrowing)
Le Bossu
The Sword and the Sorceror (a REAL cult classic, awful in the "it's great" sense)

I could go on. With the exception of Sunshine most of the those that I have listed are traditional swashbucklers. You'll find it hard to find any film featuring modern fencing. Avoid "Pentathlete". I didn't rate the last Bond movie very highly either but the fencing in that is entertaining none the less.

Tihon
-29th March 2004, 07:47
Gav, I'm pretty sure you would know the name of this one - it is an old (I think spanish) movie about a woman that comes to a fencing master and wants to learn the death move - he agrees to treach her and them I fell asleep because the movie was shown in the worst viewing time ( 2-4 AM).

Cheers

Gav
-29th March 2004, 09:04
It's "The Fencing Master" based upon the book of the same name. I'm afraid that my Spanish isn't good enough to give you the name in Spanish. If you search here or on fencing.net you will find comments about it. I've never actually seen it but I hear it's not bad,

PM1
-29th March 2004, 09:22
The book is excellent, very descriptive - which reminds me - got to give it back to Pauline........

Steve
-29th March 2004, 15:47
saw the fencing master a few years back when i was new to fencing so couldn't really rate the fencing in it. But just the other day i was browsing through the video library in college and found it! I really liked it anyway, the fencing is very regimented, lots of drills etc.... quite good all the same though, worth a look

Steve
-29th March 2004, 15:48
In fact: My signature is a quote from it!!!
Bet nobody spotted that:tongue:

colliebeast
-29th March 2004, 20:29
I can't believe no one has mentioned the PRINCESS BRIDE yet!!!!
one of the greatest fencing films of all time!!!
Be ashamed of your selves!:grin:

Tihon
-30th March 2004, 05:44
As I went through the Internet Movie Database, the film I spoke of is called El maestro de esgrima, 1992, but I thought it is older... the story fits to the one I remember so I guess it is the one. I hope I'll find it somewhere. If not else then on divx.

cheers

iron maiden fan
-2nd April 2004, 11:12
die another day

uk_45
-3rd April 2004, 16:59
hmmm not really it isnt that great. Lords of the rings has some nice stuff in it to. Some people say pirates of caribian but im not sure

Peanut_UK
-7th April 2004, 09:37
I don't think it's fair to say Pirates is a good "fencing movie" (that phrase makes me shudder - Ring of Steel anyone!??). There were some sword fights in it, and they were entertaining, but were just incidental to the rest of the movie.

Anyone see the recent re-make of the Count of Monte Christo? The trailer had snippets of a sword fight in a field, so after sitting thru 2 hours of good-but-slower-than-expected movie, you're rewarded with about 30secs of swords. Marvellous.

That's assuming you don't go to the cinema with a mate who decides half way thru the film that the world's about to fall out of his ar*se, and that if you want a lift home, we really really need to leave NOW. Cheers, El Presidente! ;)

Gav
-7th April 2004, 09:53
the Count of Monte Cristo is a good film. The fencing at the end is actually pretty good but I wouldn't say that it was the prime reason for the film being any good. It's just a good yarn. Interstingly the director cites Ridley Scott's 'The Duellists' as a prime influence on the stlye of the movie.

I would still recommend it.

Peanut_UK
-7th April 2004, 10:20
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I was just pointing out that anyone expecting a bit of a swashbuckler (as I mistakenly was!) is in for a bit of a disappointment.

But it is a classic story, and I've decided I like Guy "Bouncer, you dag!" Pearce (he keeps popping up and doing great stuff, then disappears again).

DrT
-7th April 2004, 11:56
Originally posted by Gav
the Count of Monte Cristo is a good film. The fencing at the end is actually pretty good but I wouldn't say that it was the prime reason for the film being any good. It's just a good yarn. Interstingly the director cites Ridley Scott's 'The Duellists' as a prime influence on the stlye of the movie.

I would still recommend it.

The film has more fencing in it than the book has! They talk about it quite a bit though... Good book anyway.

I watched "the duellists" on your recommendation and really enjoyed it. MrsT, on the other hand, was a bit bemused by it all:

Originally said by MrsT at the end of the film
"So... why were they fighting again? I don't get it." :rolleyes:

uk_45
-9th April 2004, 12:20
Hmm if you want to see some neat sowrd work not purley fencing or duelling although there is may i sujest the Sharpe series. Very good stories to!

colliebeast
-9th April 2004, 14:57
Originally posted by uk_45
Hmm if you want to see some neat sowrd work not purley fencing or duelling although there is may i sujest the Sharpe series. Very good stories to!

and an actual fencer apears in it... (well i say fencer but he is a foilist...)

uk_45
-9th April 2004, 15:46
Yeah im working my way thro the DVD box set at the moment!

PS my coach has sharpes sword: a 1796 British Heavy Cavalry Sabre

symon
-11th April 2004, 23:13
recently saw "SUNSHINE" with Ralph fiennes. .....Its only short but theres some good fencing sequences in it

Rdb811
-11th April 2004, 23:17
Originally posted by uk_45

Always been put off them by Cornwall's atrocious dialogue in his American Civil War series (no sense whatsoever for period dialogue or American accents). His Excalibur series is excellant, though.

uk_45
-12th April 2004, 11:29
NO these are very very good in fact truley excellent!

Gav
-13th April 2004, 09:33
I got the Three Musketeers and The four Musketeers at the weekend - great bank holiday viewing!

symon
-13th April 2004, 14:45
Is the Fencing Master still available to buy or is it 1 of those they've discontinued making ???