PDA

View Full Version : Surrey County Foil

Rdb811
-28th March 2004, 21:35
Just a reminder ;

April 4th (Sunday coming) Surrey Foil, Individual + Team

Details at www.scfu.homestead.com (including eligability reqirements).

srb
-31st March 2004, 08:05
I fenced at Kingston last night & fenced Vil who had popped along from Guildford for a bit of practice before the weekend.

Also heard a rumour that Rizzle, CC & Dr Q are all fencing, so it could be pretty tough for a county event.

srb

aao
-31st March 2004, 08:19
hmmmmm strangely tempeting................haven't done a foil comp in years..............and so so close to home................can i just randomly turn up on sunday and enter??.......(please note aao's participation is subject to being able to get up on sunday, being sober enough to drive on sunday, still thinking its a good idea by sunday,oh and being able to find/borrow some foils at some point)

srb
-31st March 2004, 08:33
Ian de Whalley is organising the competition. I suspect he will take entries on the day. In fact, if he had stuck to the closing date, Kingston would have retained the team trophy by default, as they were the only team who had entered on time.

srb

aao
-31st March 2004, 08:35
oh no worries then, anyway i want revenge on the man after i accidently forgot to beat him in the epee (things not to do at a comp go 4 hits up and then stop paying attention :dizzy: )

aao
-5th April 2004, 10:35
well we came, we saw and we were very very very hungover.....
Things we learned from the comp:

1) Drinking games the night before a comp, are not neccessarily one of lifes better ideas :upset:

2) once you reach around 26 its seems to get rather harder to recover from a 'long' night :dizzy:

3)You can't just stand there at foil with your arm out and expect your opponents to do the decent thing and impale themselves as they do at epee. a level of proactiveness is required......

4) proactiveness is very hard to achieve with a bad hangover.....

5) local refs intepretation of said hungover proactiveness can vary quite alarmingly

6) a scientific experiment involving a highly hungover girly epeeist and a slightly less hungover girly sabreur (both international stantdard)((when sober)) proved conclusively that both are equally good/bad at foil (they came 3rd equal) what this proves i have no idea but you can't argue with science!

7) 2 (by this time ill and tired) epeeists and a (knackered) sabreur do make a fairly effective foil team even when enetered into the mens team event.

8) some local foilists hit suprisingly hard :dizzy:

9) even after the halt! :upset: :dizzy:

10) the event overall is good fun for locals and drunken epeeists and sabreurs, and is well run by Roger and co.

srb
-5th April 2004, 10:56
Originally posted by srb
Kingston would have retained the team trophy by default, as they were the only team who had entered on time.

srb

Yeah, but we didn't need the default card, as we won it outright anyway, with srb beating cc and Dr Q:mexwave: in the process.

It was good to meet aao, although we didn't get to fence as we were in separate halves of the draw. Although I did get to fence HOKERS. Yes that's HOKERS, he had turned from the dark side for the afternoon. Fencer A - attack with sabre cut to chest, fencer B counter attack with the pointy end of the stick thing - Fencer B's hit :grin:

Vil was also fencing, and the day was very well run by RdB. Ian de Whalley won the individual beating Dr Q 15 - 14, after knocking out srb 15-14, whose head fell off after getting red carded!

All topped off with a pint in the pub.

srb

aao
-5th April 2004, 11:39
ah good I'm glad Streatham A didn't win, Dr Q was far from the most popular person with the girls during our team match (some interesting points of view from Q about girls fencing :mad: ) and definately didn't overly endear himself to me while beating me in the L8 (i might be wrong but i'm sure some of his hit avoidance tactics involve turning but hey what do i know)
no probs with the other members of Streatham A though cc always a good laugh and Tony? (i think that was his name) achieved the almost inconceivable by losing to me 3 times in a row with a foil.

Glad to hear you did well srb it was good to finally put a face to the name :)

Naughty foilist
-5th April 2004, 12:30
[QUOTE
3)You can't just stand there at foil with your arm out and expect your opponents to do the decent thing and impale themselves as they do at epee. a level of proactiveness is required......
[/QUOTE]

But occassionally a Guildford B team foilist can get lucky and watch a flying epeeist impale themselves on their sword!

My only point against you in the mens team competition.

As the only other mixed team in the mens comp we didn't get to test the theory that if we scored a point against Kelly from a hit to the stomach would she a) collapse, b) vomit or c) both. She was sufficiently with it to parry most things we tried to get through against her.

But thanks Roger, Ian and Sue, great fun, just wish my legs would work properly today. :)

aao
-5th April 2004, 13:00
ahhhhh another face to a name ;) i can honestly say fencing you guys was the most fun match we had all day (and not just because we won :) ) ((although that was nice too!)) it was good spirited and hopefully enjoyable for all.

but back to your points, yes indeedy impaling a flying epeeist can be highly effective and quite frankly said epeeist got exactly what he deserved by being impaled! I can say with great conviction that being impaled by a foil hurts much less than being impaled with an epee :) (though you still feel equally stupid during the whole impaling process!)

errrr as for hitting kelly option c was a distinct possibility, thankfully most people confined to just hitting her elsewhere. (alhtough in some case rather hard off target :dizzy:

hokers
-5th April 2004, 13:08
Originally posted by srb
Although I did get to fence HOKERS. Yes that's HOKERS, he had turned from the dark side for the afternoon. Fencer A - attack with sabre cut to chest, fencer B counter attack with the pointy end of the stick thing - Fencer B's hit :grin:
srb

Yeah lost 5-3 from 3-1 up :( Might have been a different story if I still remembered how to hit with the point. Stupid weapon anyway :D

Hey you fancy doing some sabre?

Congratulations to Kingston for winning anyway, good day for Ian!

Rdb811
-5th April 2004, 13:08
I'm glad everybody enjoyed it - thanks very much to one and all for coming along.

I did enjoy Dr Q's reaction when he found he was having to fence some girlies.

The results will appear late tonight is the ftp server is behaving itself.

It was Nick F. who lost to aao - words will had.

aao
-5th April 2004, 13:26
Originally posted by Rdb811
I did enjoy Dr Q's reaction when he found he was having to fence some girlies.

personnally i wasn't overly impressed, the fact that both Kelly and Shelley were prepared to fence in a mens team competion in a weapon they don't do, purely for a laugh i thought was a good thing, Dr Q's blatant disregard for them and attitude towards them was not.

Whether or not Dr Q thought they should be fencing isn't really an issue, he is experienced enough to be able to go on the piste and win with out the snide remarks. Both girls are top senior internationals in the top 10 of their respective weapons, neither pretends to be a foilist and both were there simply to have a good time, if Dr Q can't enter into the spirit of things then more fool him.

I would however suggest that DR Q doesn't try fencing epee or sabre anytime soon or he might find out some valuable lessons in humility.

p.s. I have been accused at times of being arrogant or cocky myself mainly due to the style i ofter fence with where i don't look like i'm trying, to some extent this is sometimes true BUT i will never ever question my opponents right to be on the piste against me.

srb
-5th April 2004, 13:48
Originally posted by hokers

Hey you fancy doing some sabre?

:rolling:

My illustrious sabre career has involved me fencing sabre twice in 26 years, and both badly, and both in competitions.

I would probably be just as effective if I fenced with blanc-mange instead of a sabre, but you never know, if we're both at Kingston one night and I can borrow some kit, I might have a go - but don't tell any of the foilists.

srb

Prometheus
-5th April 2004, 13:58
Originally posted by srb
:rolling:

My illustrious sabre career has involved me fencing sabre twice in 26 years, and both badly, and both in competitions.

I would probably be just as effective if I fenced with blanc-mange instead of a sabre, but you never know, if we're both at Kingston one night and I can borrow some kit, I might have a go - but don't tell any of the foilists.

srb

hahahahahahaha - too late....

srb, so you do have a tendency for neanderthalism. :)

srb
-5th April 2004, 14:05
Originally posted by Prometheus
- too late....

Damn, I've had never realised Prometheus was a foilist!

srb:moon:

Prometheus
-5th April 2004, 14:13
No you wouldn't recognise one if he came along stuffed his foil etc......

Dr Q then....is that exception proves the rule?:rolleyes:

Rdb811
-6th April 2004, 00:08
Originally posted by aao
personnally i wasn't overly impressed

I only saw part of what happened.

Rdb811
-6th April 2004, 00:42
Results at:

http://www.streathamfencing.org/Local_Events/2003_2004/Surrey_Foil/surrey_foil.html

theicklebird
-7th April 2004, 08:05
[As the only other mixed team in the mens comp we didn't get to test the theory that if we scored a point against Kelly from a hit to the stomach would she a) collapse, b) vomit or c) both.]

I was fine when I was fencing - it was just in between fights that I felt a little green maybe. At no point during the whole day did I a) collapse, b) vomit or c) both.

I must also add that IT WAS ALL ALPS FAULT! :cheers2:

[She was sufficiently with it to parry most things we tried to get through against her.]

Why thank you - i think! :rolleyes:

theicklebird
-7th April 2004, 08:12
Originally posted by aao
personnally i wasn't overly impressed, the fact that both Kelly and Shelley were prepared to fence in a mens team competion in a weapon they don't do, purely for a laugh i thought was a good thing, Dr Q's blatant disregard for them and attitude towards them was not.

Shlley's comment to him of " you are the rudest man in the world" really told him! :tongue:

I would also like to add that chauvinism is not something to be proud of, and that in this day in age women are allowed to do things such as fencing and have been able to for quite some time. So I think that he should take his outdated views of the world and crawl under a rock somewhere. :moon:

vil
-7th April 2004, 08:57
That's a shame to hear that about DrQ. I'd always thought he seemed like a nice guy. I guess even nice guys can be pretty old fashioned some times.

Anyway, I had a great time & I'm pretty sure the rest of the Guildford contingent did too. The team event had a very friendly and fun atmosphere & it was great to see a few of the forum crowd there - even if I was getting beaten by them (yes YOU, srb...) :)

There were a few people I didn't get to speak to, unfortunately (aao: didn't get to chat with you, but could overhear your excalamtions when you were being "pro-active" :grin: ). Maybe next time?

Great day, great day.

aao
-7th April 2004, 11:29
Originally posted by theicklebird
[I must also add that IT WAS ALL ALPS FAULT! :cheers2:

Now i would like to clear this up, as i'm definately noticing a trend on this forum which seems to hold me responsible for a number of drink related incedents at fencing events :eek:

I know i know, i find it hard to credit myself, but as was the case this weekend just because i happened to be in the general area while Kelly and Shelley were getting drunk it was apparently automatically my fault :upset: now i ask you who are you going to believe??? hardened drinkers like the girls :drinkbott: or sweet innocent little me who spent the night counsling the girls to not drink and to go to bed early :sun:

The fact that i was slightly intoxicated the following more was an unfortunate by product of my gallant attempts to try and reduce the girls drinking by consuming as much of the alchol as possible first so that they wouldn't be able to feed their drinking habit :rambo:

so i'm glad to have cleared thatup now :thumbs_up:

p.s. Vil sorry we didn't get to chat, as for my errr 'pro-active' exclamations, i was merely trying to put forward my point of view to the ref, that he might have been ever so slightly eronous in some of his judgements.........;)

Rdb811
-8th April 2004, 00:07
Originally posted by aao
slightly intoxicated

Sorry, I've just been rolllng on the floor laughing for ten minutes for some reason.

Rdb811
-8th April 2004, 00:28
Originally posted by theicklebird
Shlley's comment to him of " you are the rudest man in the world" really told him! :tongue:

Hopefully from the rest of the comments it should be apparent that this was one small incident in a compettion that went off very well and was enjoyed by all. Please accept my apologies.

theicklebird
-8th April 2004, 15:50
Originally posted by Rdb811
Hopefully from the rest of the comments it should be apparent that this was one small incident in a compettion that went off very well and was enjoyed by all. Please accept my apologies.
I have to admit that despite the odd comment in the afternoon I had the most fun i've had at a fencing comp for quite some time! :grin:

theicklebird
-8th April 2004, 16:00
Originally posted by aao
sweet innocent little me who spent the night counsling the girls to not drink and to go to bed early :sun:

Ok Alpy now do I have to remind you of the comment your parents heard on Saturday night - as Shelley and I were attempting to leave your room whilst you were manhandling us away from the door?

No, I think not. :)

It was ALL your idea and therefore ALL your fault!! :mad:

Sweet little innocent you????? I'm sure you were at some point, many many years ago, but do your parents even remember those days? :rolleyes:

theicklebird
-8th April 2004, 16:09
Originally posted by aao
sweet innocent little me who spent the night counsling the girls to not drink and to go to bed early :sun:

Ok Alpy now do I have to remind you of the comment your parents heard on Saturday night - as Shelley and I were attempting to leave your room whilst you were manhandling us away from the door?

No, I think not. :)

It was ALL your idea and therefore ALL your fault!! :mad:

Sweet little innocent you????? I'm sure you were at some point, many many years ago, but do your parents even remember those days? :rolleyes: