PDA

View Full Version : Pilates

Tsirah
-27th February 2013, 20:11
Hi all!

Does anyone on here do pilates? Do you find it helpful fencing-wise?

I started it this academic year and have found I have gained in muscular stamina and strength. My stability has increased and I just benefit from it in all sorts of way.

Just wanted to know if anyone does it as a way to improve their fencing...
And if you do, how has pilates benefited your fencing?

MKCap
-27th February 2013, 21:48
I don't actually to pilates but can see that you would gain benefit as a result even if just through improved muscle tone and stability.

Spider5
-27th February 2013, 23:30
I've found it useful for strengthening the core and reducing to eradicting back pain depending on how diligent I am. Not sure I've seen any other benefit in functional strength for fencing other than improving shoulder position.

Personally I would go for a balanced programme of pilates, weights, fencing specific exercises and running/swimming/cycling but that isn't what the thread is about.

MKCap; Some people say there ain't no such thing as muscle tone only strength vs cross sectional area but I know what you mean.

Thread derail: I've just discovered goblet squats. I can't recommend them highly enough for people who don't know much about squatting and/or have long legs relative to body length. Absolute revelation.

coach carson
-28th February 2013, 02:29
I'd also recommend gyrotonic. A bit like pilates, but with weights. Very light weights, but that can have power lifters crying like babies trying to do one of their sit ups.

Spider5
-28th February 2013, 08:07
I'd also recommend gyrotonic. A bit like pilates, but with weights. Very light weights, but that can have power lifters crying like babies trying to do one of their sit ups.

I'd be tempted to pay money to see power lifters crying like babies doing sit ups.....

Tsirah
-6th March 2013, 23:47
I've found it useful for strengthening the core and reducing to eradicting back pain depending on how diligent I am. Not sure I've seen any other benefit in functional strength for fencing other than improving shoulder position.

I think it's helped me in general but especially with my legs which is a plus for footwork.