PDA

View Full Version : Elections

Mellish
-2nd March 2013, 14:28
Some very strong contenders, but I'm voting for epeeists. I think the current funding model seeking medals seemingly at all costs has warped some of the selection decisions over the past few years. The problem is that really the different weapons are different sports - like badminton, squash and tennis which all use similar racquets - but we are funded as if it were one sport. Consequently the money is going where the talent is today, and so there is a danger that this bias becomes self-perpetuating i.e. the channeling of funds into one particular weapon means that one will have an on-going talent (and funding) advantage. I did like Paul Abrahams statement that he would ensure BF: 'Has an elite programme that supports all six weapons'. But would have preferred if it had said 'equally supported'. There are some great young epeeists on the circuit - e.g. a 16 yo won the Hampshire Open last weekend (great by UK standards anyway), and in epee we need to build at the grass roots level, but if the funding goes elsewhere...

AELLA
-26th March 2013, 11:58
Do we have a revised date for results as there was an extention until 12:00 26/3/2013 (oh - NOW) for the postal votes - or is it just a case of as soon as they count the votes and elect winners (if that's what you call someone elected to the BF Board these days)

Would have been good to know when we can expect to hear who is running the shop from now on.

munkey
-26th March 2013, 12:37
Originally announcement of results was scheduled for 29th March (7 days after close of voting) so I expect 2nd April will be new date.

Hungry Hippo
-27th March 2013, 08:52
But the 29th was Good Friday, a public holiday - unless it was just an already-prepared presss release and an announcement on the BF site (a stretch of the imagination surely!), then its unlikely BF would've made anything public then.

And the second of April will have two less working days than the previously announced period, so that may hold things back - in other words, I won't be holding my breath waiting for any announcement!

Keith.A.Smith
-27th March 2013, 14:10
Will be interesting to see turnout. Shows how much the Board matters and whether people have looked to the future or embedded some of the past.

Good luck to the new Board and the Executive.

d_f_a
-27th March 2013, 15:05
Will be interesting to see turnout. Shows how much the Board matters and whether people have looked to the future or embedded some of the past.

Turnout is 12%!

TBennett
-27th March 2013, 15:20
Turnout is 12%!

Wow. Just wow.

Gav
-27th March 2013, 15:27
Turnout is 12%!

I'm pretty sure that's up on most years ...

TBennett
-27th March 2013, 15:37
I'm pretty sure that's up on most years ...

Really? Well in that case the upward trajectory is hopefully a sign of great things to come! On to 2024 :p

Foilling Around
-27th March 2013, 16:56
But the 29th was Good Friday, a public holiday - unless it was just an already-prepared presss release and an announcement on the BF site (a stretch of the imagination surely!), then its unlikely BF would've made anything public then.

And the second of April will have two less working days than the previously announced period, so that may hold things back - in other words, I won't be holding my breath waiting for any announcement!

So the cynics can breath again.

TBennett
-27th March 2013, 17:05
Improved communication, can't complain! :)

Harryscott
-27th March 2013, 17:45

I'll second that.