New article at fencing.net:
http://www.fencing101.com/content/view/174/2/

Craig

Boo Boo
-30th March 2004, 20:27
Originally posted by Craig
New article at fencing.net:
http://www.fencing101.com/content/view/174/2/

The Africa Question - Will the US get to send a 3rd?

In the table above, only 15 out of 16 available slots were allocated. This is because of the lack of participation this season by fencers in the African zone in Women's Sabre. The top African fencer in the FIE World Rankings comes in at 104 with the only result being a 59th place finish at the 2003 World Championships.

In the case of a national federation choosing not to send an athlete, the invitation then goes to the next highest ranked fencer, which in the case of the African Zonal slot would go to Mariel Zagunis of the United States. The African Continental Qualifying slot would then go to Romania's Catalina Ghoerghitoaia.

Does anyone know what is happening? Since the "African" in question is Jacqui Esimaji (who fences for Nigeria, but trains at LTFC in London) - is there any question that she will not be allowed to take African Zonal slot?

Is the African Zone not planning to have a qualifying competition for women's sabre?

Boo

Boo Boo
-30th March 2004, 20:32
Or is the article written from a "US-optimistic" view point...?

Craig
-30th March 2004, 20:35
That was pure speculation on my part. I've heard rumors that the African federations won't send fencers (Egypt refused to send their Men's Foil team to the 1996 Games even though the fencers all were ready to pay their own way).

In the end, it's not up to the fencer, but it's up to the national federation and their NOC (national Olympic committee) to determine if the athlete will be allowed to go.

We won't know the answer until June when "unused" slots are reallocated by the FIE.

Craig

Boo Boo
-30th March 2004, 20:42
Ok, thanks - big heart attack (hopefully for no reason...): will keep everything crossed for Jacqui.... :)

Boo

colliebeast
-30th March 2004, 21:06
was taking to Jax and she def still believes she has a chance to go and is off to the African qulifiers in about 2 weeks
so if this is the case no one has taken the trouble to inform her!

Boo Boo
-30th March 2004, 21:10
Why does she need to go to the qualifiers? Surely she has qualified via the Zone already - if Nigeria agree to her going, then she should already have a place???

Boo

colliebeast
-30th March 2004, 21:14
dunno but she is i know the africa champs are about 2 days after in the same place but she has def booked her flights for the qulifiers...

randomsabreur
-31st March 2004, 12:36
List of qualifiers are up on the FIE website

This could well be the address: http://www.fie.ch/download/homepage/en/Qualifications%20JO%202004.pdf

but if I haven't got it right there is a link from the home page.

Jacqui is officially on the list!

Boo Boo
-31st March 2004, 12:50
:mexwave:

:)

(hopefully then she will go :) - fingers crossed Nigeria will be all to happy for her to go...)

aao
-31st March 2004, 14:16
delighted for her if she can, but still don't think its fair that somebody with one 64 should qualify for the olympics, especially as you needed to get a 16 just to go to the olympic qualifier from the UK!.

(personally would like to see 1-2 people from every country allowed to compete at the olympics with the team events removed to compensate. Some of the best stories in the olympics come from plcuky losers not just from the top athletes, alas in Fencing unless you're african, you're probably going have to be in the top 20 or 30 in the world if you go!)

Boo Boo
-31st March 2004, 14:20
Good property is amazingly cheap in South Africa you know...

;)

Sabrette
-27th April 2004, 04:21
Yay, go Jaqui!! :grin:

Craig
-7th June 2004, 14:54
It was just announced that Zagunis will go to the Olympics. So, was it Jacqueline Esimaje's spot, or did none of the other nations wish to send an individual (I believe a Tunisian qualified through the zonals.)

Craig

whizzkid1982
-7th June 2004, 18:07
well i have heard that jacqui is not going......
(this from the person who was going to go and warm her up!)

this is such a shame if it is true because it would have been great to see someone who trains in the UK getting to go. also jacqui is tops and has only taken to sabre relatively recently.

Rdb811
-7th June 2004, 23:43
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
well i have heard that jacqui is not going......
(this from the person who was going to go and warm her up!)

this is such a shame if it is true because it would have been great to see someone who trains in the UK getting to go. also jacqui is tops and has only taken to sabre relatively recently.

And one of the locals .....

3 Card Trick
-8th June 2004, 16:19
According to the Americans the Nigerian Federation has chosen not to take up the African slot.

Of much greater interest is the withdrawl of a whole African Sabre Team. Namely Egypt MS, who are to be replaced by the Germans.

However, there are still fencers "qualifed" for the Olympics who either have no World Ranking or are out of the top 200.

I don't think that the qualification system has worked out all that well, has it?

Keith.A.Smith
-8th June 2004, 20:48
I had heard that Germany might well replace Egypt in the Men's sabre. So the policy of universality takes another knock.

In our sport universality versus meritocracy leads to some funny qualifications.

Feel sory for Jacqui as he did qualify given the FIE system and then not slecetd by her NOC.

Keith

Cuppa
-23rd June 2004, 10:24
Hear what Jaqui has to say as the BBC World Service is interviewing her this Friday at about 5.30pm on the radio!

reposte
-23rd June 2004, 11:03
Why would a federation choose not to send a fencng team that has qualified (and ready to pay their own way!) to the Olympic games? Is it of fear they won't fair well and wishing to save expenses on the part of the NOC?

tigger
-23rd June 2004, 11:07
I've been told that the decision not to send Jacqui was political...allegedly. Power games in the Nigerian fencing assoc...again allegedly! Desperatley unfair - she got the L64 at the World Champs, and so qualified by right as the top African fencer.

Marcos
-23rd June 2004, 12:27
can you imagine - must be like a body blow for her

when a similar thing happened to me when I played the violin, I gave up, never to pick the thing up again such was the bitterness.

all I can say is that more power to her if she can shrug it off.

Craig
-23rd June 2004, 13:26
Originally posted by reposte
Why would a federation choose not to send a fencng team that has qualified (and ready to pay their own way!) to the Olympic games? Is it of fear they won't fair well and wishing to save expenses on the part of the NOC?

That's a good question. Same thing happened to the Egyptian Men's Foil team for Atlanta in 1996. 2 of the 3 foilists were living in the US and working as coaches and the third was training in Europe and flew to Atlanta in time for the Games to try to get the Egyptian federation to let them fence.

You also have the Egyptian Men's Sabre team that is not going even though they qualified.

It doesn't help that the Nigerian fencing organization wasn't linked in to the Nigerian Nat'l Olympic Committe. Kind of hard to get the NOC to send your athletes when the NOC doesn't see your organization as part of its umbrella. Sucks for the athletes.

Craig

Boo Boo
-23rd June 2004, 13:46
I had heard that there was pressure to specifically get someone else into the Olympics... and that Jacqui was the political casualty :( :( :(

Boo

Marcos
-23rd June 2004, 14:12
confusing - who took Jacqui's slot?

Smandi Sondes?

Craig
-23rd June 2004, 14:17
Originally posted by Marcos
confusing - who took Jacqui's slot?

Smandi Sondes?

Smandi Sondes got the zonal qualifying slot. Since no other African fencer was on the FIE points list, Jacqui's slot went to Mariel Zagunis of the US.

Marcos
-23rd June 2004, 15:01
cheers Craig - why Mariel and not a European (such as, and not biased here, Siobhan Byrne who came 4th and just missed out from the European Qualifier)

I'm sure there is a reason, just find the whole thing confusing

Insipiens
-23rd June 2004, 15:20
can you imagine - must be like a body blow for her

when a similar thing happened to me when I played the violin, I gave up, never to pick the thing up again such was the bitterness.

all I can say is that more power to her if she can shrug it off.

There is a violin olympics??:eek:

But seriously, it just goes to underline how ridiculous the qualifying criteria are.

And the politics of deciding nobody will go rather than the one qualified fencer has to be the most stupid.

UglyBug
-25th June 2004, 16:37
cheers Craig - why Mariel and not a European (such as, and not biased here, Siobhan Byrne who came 4th and just missed out from the European Qualifier)

I'm sure there is a reason, just find the whole thing confusing

I think it was because Mariel was the highest ranked female sabreur on the world rankings without an Olympic place and so was always due to get any slot that came up. Are the Tunisians letting their girl that won the zonals go?

Craig
-25th June 2004, 21:08
Originally posted by UglyBug
I think it was because Mariel was the highest ranked female sabreur on the world rankings without an Olympic place and so was always due to get any slot that came up. Are the Tunisians letting their girl that won the zonals go?

Correct. Mariel was the next on the points list. (She was 2 points behind Emily Jacobson at the time qualification ended.)

The Tunisians are sending all that qualified from what I've seen on the FIE site.

Craig

terrible twins
-26th June 2004, 11:34
That was very "lucky" for mariel seeing as her mom had already bought a villa out in Athens for the Championships!!!!!!

terrible twins
-26th June 2004, 11:34
That was very "lucky" for mariel seeing as her mom had already bought a villa out in Athens for the Championships!!!!!!

UglyBug
-26th June 2004, 19:38
Originally posted by Cuppa
Hear what Jaqui has to say as the BBC World Service is interviewing her this Friday at about 5.30pm on the radio!

I listened for two hours and didn't hear it - did anyone else?

Cuppa
-27th June 2004, 13:05
Try this link from the World service website. It was still there today!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/wssports_aod.shtml?ws_fasttrack#