PDA

View Full Version : Cadet and Junior World Championships 2013

Keith.A.Smith
-29th March 2013, 08:15
These championships are fast approaching. Good luck to all our cadets and juniors. I hope there are really good results to cheer about.

Keith.A.Smith
-3rd April 2013, 12:29
I imagine the cadets heading out very soon. Good luck to all the GB team.

Keith.A.Smith
-3rd April 2013, 16:44
I have just noticed that the FIE is holding each event over two days at these championships. Clearly a new format. DE 32 on second day only. Makes the World Championships longer and slightly more expensive.

Not quite sure why needed at this level.

Keith.A.Smith
-3rd April 2013, 17:32
Thanks to Peter Jacobs. Apparently the events are in two different halls that are quite distant from each other and so it was decided to have the new formula to guarantee the good running of the events.

Jacdaw
-3rd April 2013, 19:00
Does anyone know if there is going to be any live stream?

RIchardn
-3rd April 2013, 20:13
It looks like it as this has been posted on twitter @catchsport: All packed and ready to commentate on the U17/20 World Fencing Championships for @fie_en with @dkingdotcom. Flying tomorrow am! #fencing...

pinkelephant
-3rd April 2013, 20:15
Does anyone know if there is going to be any live stream?
Yes, with Karim Bashir and Dave King commentating.

JohnL
-4th April 2013, 16:06
Yes, with Karim Bashir and Dave King commentating.

Is there a link?

Jacdaw
-5th April 2013, 16:58
Is there a link?

FIE youtube channel should be live-streaming it

Keith.A.Smith
-5th April 2013, 19:41
Is there a site to see the results easily? Fencing starts tomorrow, but the second day of each event is the top 32 onwards.

pinkelephant
-6th April 2013, 09:30
Ansalem/Webb 4V/1D. Deary 2V/3D

Red
-6th April 2013, 09:45
Ranking after poule:
16 - Amsalem
17 - Webb
52 - Deary

Ronald Velden
-6th April 2013, 10:25
It would seem that all 3 British Fencers were allocated 'light' poles. I have just looked at Italian Federation website and 2 of their fencers had six matches.

I assume from seeding that Rubin and JJ will meet each other in last 32 if they win first DE match. That is not
a great draw.

Is there no thread where we can access information about poules and de draw?

Mini
-6th April 2013, 10:32
http://www.wchporec2013.com/en/ the website has links to the live scoring and feed on YouTube.

Ronald Velden
-6th April 2013, 10:50
http://www.wchporec2013.com/en/ the website has links to the live scoring and feed on YouTube.

Thanks.

Shocking draw that three British Fencers were included in 4 light poules and perhaps more importantly included
top ranked fencers from Germany and USA. Raises questions how poules were seeded in first place.

Mini
-6th April 2013, 11:14
Thanks.

Shocking draw that three British Fencers were included in 4 light poules and perhaps more importantly included
top ranked fencers from Germany and USA. Raises questions how poules were seeded in first place.

Do they not publish the initial ranking list before the draw? If not they should do for clarity in my opinion.

Keith.A.Smith
-6th April 2013, 11:16
Ronald, The FIE has clear rules for how the poules are seeded for the World Cadets and these are published and checkable by the Team Managers.

Am I right in assuming that all 3GB MS now into the top 32 for tomorrow?

Mini
-6th April 2013, 11:19
Ronald, The FIE has clear rules for how the poules are seeded for the World Cadets and these are published and checkable by the Team Managers.

Deary def Jung 15-10
Webb def Olmeo 15-14
Amsalem def Godlewski 15-14

Shaka
-6th April 2013, 11:25

Hi Keith, so are you saying if there is a query in the ranking/seedingss then the first point of contact is the Team Manager?

PS. Well done boys, keep it up for tomorrow!!!!

Keith.A.Smith
-6th April 2013, 11:35
Good news all 3 into top 32. Keep up the good work.

The FIE publishes the seedings and then the GB team manager checks them and can raise any queries before the pools are published.

Ronald Velden
-6th April 2013, 11:43

I understand that seedings were based on World Cup Rankings with no reference to European Circuit despite
all major nations competing on it including US.

To highlight my comments JJ Webb landed up in last 64 with Olmedo who was also in an exceedingly difficult
poule. Olmedo won Camden International beating JJ in semis. Also won medal in Meylan so this was a very
difficult match.

Both Amsalem and Webb now hit each other in last 32 for place in last 16, which is a shame, because they
both reached last 16 last season.

Ayesha has apparently won her first three poule matches in womens foil.

Shaka
-6th April 2013, 13:04
CWF

Ayesha Fihosy 5V/1D
Yvonne Chart 3V/3D

Ranking after the poules:

Ayesha - 8
Yvonne - 40

Shaka
-6th April 2013, 13:48
Yvonne out in the 64 - 11/15 :(

Shaka
-6th April 2013, 14:10
Ayesha through to the L32 tomorrow - 15/10

Keith.A.Smith
-6th April 2013, 14:38
Well done to the 4 GB fencers into the 32 tomorrow. Good effort so far. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

pinkelephant
-6th April 2013, 16:57
I understand that seedings were based on World Cup Rankings with no reference to European Circuit despite
all major nations competing on it including US.

To highlight my comments JJ Webb landed up in last 64 with Olmedo who was also in an exceedingly difficult
poule. Olmedo won Camden International beating JJ in semis. Also won medal in Meylan so this was a very
difficult match.

Both Amsalem and Webb now hit each other in last 32 for place in last 16, which is a shame, because they
both reached last 16 last season.

Ayesha has apparently won her first three poule matches in womens foil.
ALL major nations? Korea? China? Japan?

Ronald Velden
-6th April 2013, 23:26
ALL major nations? Korea? China? Japan?

I suggest that you take a look at these nations results in cadet sabre. They are not remotely close to top level
of weapon.

Last season Japan sent their National Squads [24 fencers] to Camden International. They finished at the bottom
of the competition.

pinkelephant
-7th April 2013, 07:47
Thank you for your advice, Ronald - I have just done that. Last year's Cadet World results are here
http://www.juniorfencing2012.ru/

You may find it interesting to look at the winner of CMS. The top 8 of all six weapons include at least one fencer from one of the nations I mentioned - and I left out Singapore, who also had a top 8 result.

Your Eurocenric view of World fencing is as breathtaking as your London-centric view of British fencing.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th April 2013, 09:00
JJ Webb into top 16. Good news.

TBennett
-7th April 2013, 09:14
Back to the thread, best of luck to the Cadet Women's (competing now) and Men's Epee on today as well as the continuations of the DE's from yesterday. We've had very encouraging results so far and I hope it continues throughout the Championships!

Red
-7th April 2013, 09:44
JJ out 15/13 to Voronov (UKR)

Jacdaw
-7th April 2013, 09:53
Does anyone have the link to the schedules? I know it was posted on the forum but can not find it

Ronald Velden
-7th April 2013, 10:01
Thank you for your advice, Ronald - I have just done that. Last year's Cadet World results are here
http://www.juniorfencing2012.ru/

You may find it interesting to look at the winner of CMS. The top 8 of all six weapons include at least one fencer from one of the nations I mentioned - and I left out Singapore, who also had a top 8 result.

Your Eurocenric view of World fencing is as breathtaking as your London-centric view of British fencing.

Forgive me one Korean fencer in last 5 years who is outstanding does not suggest that they are major force in cadets. For the record China like France does not enter cadets at World Championships and Japan are absolutely nowhere at this level in sabre as their results in this year's World Championships suggest.

It is true however that Korea are a major force in mens sabre at senior level as they proved at Olympics, but
that was not I raised. We are talking about cadets.

Furthermore I have not made any adverse comments about fencing outside London as you imply. This is as usual your attempt to discredit what I say.

pinkelephant
-7th April 2013, 10:02
Does anyone have the link to the schedules? I know it was posted on the forum but can not find it

http://www.wchporec2013.com/en/

Peaseblossom
-7th April 2013, 10:08
I've just been looking for the same. I can find the page with the individual links to each competition but is there anything with an overall timetable to the whole event? Maybe not. Thanks.

Ronald Velden
-7th April 2013, 10:14
I've just been looking for the same. I can find the page with the individual links to each competition but is there anything with an overall timetable to the whole event? Maybe not. Thanks.

If you go to FIE website and look at notices on left hand side of front page they provide a complete listing including timetable.

Peaseblossom
-7th April 2013, 10:25
Thanks Ron, that's what I needed. I'm trying to compose an email helping some of our fencers navigate their way around what is going on!

Red
-7th April 2013, 10:33
Forgive me one Korean fencer in last 5 years who is outstanding does not suggest that they are major force in cadets. For the record China like France does not enter cadets at World Championships and Japan are absolutely nowhere at this level in sabre as their results in this year's World Championships suggest.

It is true however that Korea are a major force in mens sabre at senior level as they proved at Olympics, but
that was not I raised. We are talking about cadets.

Furthermore I have not made any adverse comments about fencing outside London as you imply. This is as usual your attempt to discredit what I say.

This is cadet. It's a little bit random and size can dominate. Why on earth are we talking about 'major forces'?
Hungary is a serious sabre nation yet their results (2x L32, 1x L64) aren't as good as the British. USA did badly as well (1x L16, 1x L32, 1x L64). Romania got a 16 and a 64. Russia got 1 L8 and 2 L32. Are these nations still 'major forces'?
Is Ukraine the best nation in the world for getting all of their fencers to the L8?

Keith.A.Smith
-7th April 2013, 10:37
Back on thread. Well done to Jonathan Webb in making the top 16. A good result.

Good luck to Ayesha later today.

MatFink
-7th April 2013, 10:45
Molly into L64
Francesca out
Lydia into L64

boys warming up.

Ronald Velden
-7th April 2013, 10:51
This is cadet. It's a little bit random and size can dominate. Why on earth are we talking about 'major forces'?
Hungary is a serious sabre nation yet their results (2x L32, 1x L64) aren't as good as the British. USA did badly as well (1x L16, 1x L32, 1x L64). Romania got a 16 and a 64. Russia got 1 L8 and 2 L32. Are these nations still 'major forces'?
Is Ukraine the best nation in the world for getting all of their fencers to the L8?

My original point was about seeding the poules at World Championships and not what Mavis managed to turn
the discussion into. I made the point that majority of top cadet sabreurs compete on European Circuit.

For the record all eight fencers in final tableau come from Europe and 12 out of 16 in previous round were as
well. Only one Asian made a last 16.

Noone can or would argue that there are no outstanding fencers elsewhere. Last year mens epee was won by South American and an Egyptian won silver medal in mens foil at London Olympics. However, both of these fencers spent most of their time training and competing in Europe.

MatFink
-7th April 2013, 11:34
both into L32 tomorrow

Keith.A.Smith
-7th April 2013, 11:37
Good news from WE.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th April 2013, 12:13
Ayesha just lost 15-11 in the 32. So a top 16 our best result after the first two events. Good luck to the épéeists tomorrow and to MF and WS who begin their competitions.

cesh_fencing
-7th April 2013, 13:04
Interesting that Gabriel Caneux (usa) is in Harrison's poule in the CME, Gabriel was fencing in the EEJS a couple of year's back and is doing rather well today.

cesh_fencing
-7th April 2013, 13:14
Interesting that Gabriel Caneux (usa) is in Harrison's poule in the CME, Gabriel was fencing in the EEJS a couple of year's back and is doing rather well today.

Harrison only 1 up and 4 down so probably out, Gabriel all up.. Scores not coming up very well for Oli or Aml.

cesh_fencing
-7th April 2013, 13:38
Oli Steed all up, but one fencer dropped out..

Aml's poule still not showing results past 2nd fight..

cesh_fencing
-7th April 2013, 14:18
Harrison gets cut by 1 indicator..

Aml 93rd, has DE to get into 64, Oli Steed 5th straight through to L64..

MatFink
-7th April 2013, 14:56
Just Steed in L64

TBennett
-7th April 2013, 15:42
Oli Steed all up, but one fencer dropped out..

Let me guess...the fencer from Sierra Leone?? Never seen one turn up at a competition before despite frequent entries at Senior Mens Epee events.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th April 2013, 16:45
Any news from the 64 in men's epee?

J4G
-7th April 2013, 16:48
Any news from the 64 in men's epee?

Both out in the 64, 15-14 and 15-13

Ronald Velden
-7th April 2013, 17:36
Congratulations to JJ Webb who lost narrowly 15-13 to Voronov [UKR] who went on to win the Mens Cadet Sabre Title. This was in fact Voronov's tightest match all day and was shown on FIE TV.

JJ finished 12th overall.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th April 2013, 20:24
Congratulations to JJ Webb who lost narrowly 15-13 to Voronov [UKR] who went on to win the Mens Cadet Sabre Title. This was in fact Voronov's tightest match all day and was shown on FIE TV.

JJ finished 12th overall.

A very pleasing result for JJ and we have three more cadet weapons that have a chance to go even better.

Good luck to the Women Epeeists tomorrow in their 32 and to Men's Foil and Women's sabre as they start their competitions.

pinkelephant
-8th April 2013, 08:57
Molly through 15-13

HelenC
-8th April 2013, 08:58
Molly Hudson beat the No. 1 ranked European Cadet Daria Filina 15-13 to move into the L16

Helen.

3 Card Trick
-8th April 2013, 09:00
Just watched Molly beat Filina on the FIE100 App with a 3G signal in a field at Kelvedon Hatch. So in answer to Gav on another thread. The App works fine.
Just depends on your signal strength and aerial quality.

Go Molly

TBennett
-8th April 2013, 09:20
Lydia Stanier through 15-14

Fantastic effort so far. Keep it going girls.

pinkelephant
-8th April 2013, 09:29
Lloyd 3V/2D
Birch 4V/1D
Kiss 2D/4D

Keith.A.Smith
-8th April 2013, 09:30
Great news for Molly and Lydia. Keep it up.

HelenC
-8th April 2013, 09:30
Lydia Stanier beat Kornilova 15-14 to move into L16 along with Molly.

Great work girls!

Helen.

bafco
-8th April 2013, 09:35
Kiss 2D/4D

Still not a bad result for a 14 year old.

Jacdaw
-8th April 2013, 10:14
Lloyd 3V/2D
Birch 4V/1D
Kiss 2D/4D

Keep going guys, Lloyd and Birch had an abandon too which is a shame

3 Card Trick
-8th April 2013, 10:15
Molly into Last 8. 15 -14 against Constantin ROM, next up Komarov ISR. Go Molly

3 Card Trick
-8th April 2013, 10:16
Lydia out in L16 9-15 to Khlystunova BLR

Keith.A.Smith
-8th April 2013, 10:17
Excellent win from Molly. Keep it going for a medal.

3 Card Trick
-8th April 2013, 10:17
Loving the FIE 100 APP for iPhone.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-8th April 2013, 10:26

absolutely excellent. Hope FIE continue this for all events in future.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-8th April 2013, 10:28
Hudson on now

bafco
-8th April 2013, 10:30

Just needs a version for those of us with proper phones :eyerise:

bafco
-8th April 2013, 10:34
Molly into Last 8. 15 -14 against Constantin ROM, next up Komarov ISR. Go Molly

I was once on a coaching course in Durham with Laszlo and one of his youngsters asked how one wins a fencing competition. "It is very easy", replied Laszlo, "At the end of a competition you need to have one more hit than your opponent."

TBennett
-8th April 2013, 10:38
Out 15-10. Still a great effort, there is a real potential in Women's Epee demonstrated by solid Euros and Worlds results.

3 Card Trick
-8th April 2013, 10:40
Molly finally bows out to No 1 Seed Komarova 10-15.

Not at all bad for a first World Champs.

Congrats Molly and Nicky.

Nicky, a wee dram now perhaps?

Keith.A.Smith
-8th April 2013, 10:48
Well done Molly and Lydia. A top 8 and a top 16 from Women's Epee.

Now can MF and WS do even better, or will Women's Epee be our most successful GB weapon at Cadet level?

Keith.A.Smith
-8th April 2013, 12:36
Well done to Jai Birch qualified for the Cadet MF 32 tomorrow.

riposteinprime
-8th April 2013, 14:22
BF media typo strikes again with CWS results. Does no one read the releases before they go out??

Keith.A.Smith
-8th April 2013, 15:32
Good luck to Jai Birch(CMF) and the Juniors who begin tomorrow.

So far the analysis is interesting. Top 32 or better

WE 1x top 8 and 1 x top 16
MS. 1x top 16 and 2 x top 32
WF 1 x top 32
MF 1 x top 32 and fencing tomorrow
WS 0 x top 32
ME 0 x top 32.

Not sure it tells us that much, but interesting that WE and MS tops at cadet level for GB, so far.

Will be interesting to see how this compares with Juniors.

Good luck to Jai and all the Juniors.

HelenC
-8th April 2013, 15:58
Don't think the WE results tells you much to be honest as far as BF going forward - of the two who reached the L8/16:-

One is an US based fencer who has never trained in the UK (as far as I know - certainly hadn't competed in the UK before this season), and
One is a (now) Germany based fencer who hadn't represented GB at Cadet Epee before she began training in Germany and who has improved by leaps and bounds over the season.

Both excellent and well-deserved results - but don't tell us anything about what's working in the UK.

Still a great effort, there is a real potential in Women's Epee demonstrated by solid Euros and Worlds results.

Yup, must be a while since a fencer medalled at an Euro cadet comp and still didn't make the team due to strength in depth - very promising for the future.

Helen.

Ronald Velden
-8th April 2013, 17:35
Last season 4 fencers reached last 16 at Cadet level 2 in mens sabre, 1 in womens foil and 1 in womens epee.
The best results in mens foil were 2 last 32.

The relevance of Keith's point is that where there is a level playing field results can be achieved in all six
weapons. Sadly UK Sport and BFA management do not appear to hold that view.

3 Card Trick
-8th April 2013, 18:12
Results at relevant level AND consistently lead to funding. The results we are witnessing this week are merely an indictor for the future not a key to funding.

hokers
-8th April 2013, 18:48
Results at relevant level AND consistently lead to funding. The results we are witnessing this week are merely an indictor for the future not a key to funding.

I think you accidentally a word.

Red
-9th April 2013, 10:24
JMS today

van Hoffelen 1/6 - 90th and cut
Slankard 1/6 - 86th and first to be cut
Aiyenuro 3/6 - 52nd

Soji has either Kurt (TUR) or Jonsson (ISL) in the L128 and then either Chung (KOR) or Huebers (GER) in the L64

Red
-9th April 2013, 12:03
JMS today

van Hoffelen 1/6 - 90th and cut
Slankard 1/6 - 86th and first to be cut
Aiyenuro 3/6 - 52nd

Soji has either Kurt (TUR) or Jonsson (ISL) in the L128 and then either Chung (KOR) or Huebers (GER) in the L64

He beat Kurt (TUR) 15/6 but lost to Chung (KOR) 15/9 to finish 50th/107.

Keith.A.Smith
-9th April 2013, 12:11
Jai Birch made the top 32 in Cadet Men's Foil and narowly lost 15-14.

Tough day for our Junior Men's sabreurs.

Keith.A.Smith
-9th April 2013, 14:02
Good luck to Leah King in the DE.

Jacdaw
-9th April 2013, 14:07
Jai Birch made the top 32 in Cadet Men's Foil and narowly lost 15-14.

Tough day for our Junior Men's sabreurs.

watched video back and saw his opponent trip him up, unintentionally, but this may of triggered the injury

Keith.A.Smith
-9th April 2013, 15:52
Leah King into the 32. Well done and good luck for tomorrow.

Foilling Around
-9th April 2013, 22:48
watched video back and saw his opponent trip him up, unintentionally, but this may of triggered the injury

Report said cramp was Jai's problem, but that must have been his first fight or the day, apart from warming up.

That should not happen if you are properly fit and in condition before you arrive and recover and hydrate fully after the previous day.

And of course best of luck to Leah tomorrow.

JohnL
-10th April 2013, 12:35
Looks like Leah misses out on a L16 15-14 to the #6 seed.

Looked a tight fight with them trading hit for hit all the way through.

Keith.A.Smith
-10th April 2013, 12:37
Leah King just lost 15-14 in the top 32.

A see saw fight.

The GB fencers have lost quite a few key fights 15-14. I wonder what can and is being done to help turn these losses into wins in the future?

kipperjessie
-10th April 2013, 15:55
Poules

Sam Ridley 3/3

Jack Hudson 2 up 3 down

Tommy Curran Jones 4 up 2 down

Keith.A.Smith
-10th April 2013, 16:57
Tommy and Jack into top 64. Sam lost in 128.

kipperjessie
-10th April 2013, 16:58
Ridley out in 128

Curran Jones & Hudson through to 64

cesh_fencing
-10th April 2013, 17:54
Tommy out 15-13 in L64

Jack currently 10-6 up,,

cesh_fencing
-10th April 2013, 18:05
Jack currently 10-6 up,,

Wins 15-9.

Through to tomorrow

Has 11th seed - FICHERA Marco from Italy..

Keith.A.Smith
-10th April 2013, 18:06
Jack into the 32 tomorrow. ( only our second Junior 32 out of 4 weapons).

Good luck to Jack and also Men's foil and Aliya in women's sabre tomorrow.

JohnL
-10th April 2013, 18:06
Tommy out 15-13 in L64

Jack currently 10-6 up,,

Hudson into L32

cesh_fencing
-10th April 2013, 18:08
only our second Junior 32 out of 4 weapons).

To be fair, out of 3 weapons as no Women's epeeists were entered...

Keith.A.Smith
-10th April 2013, 20:22
Agreed Chris. However, that no female junior épéeists were selected must show that a renewed focus on that weapon is needed.

Four weapons have taken place and we have Jack in the 32 tomorrow and I wish him every success. We also have MF and one female sabreur; Aliya) and I wish them every success too.

My point is that there needs to be a real concentration and support for all weapons if the BFA is to achieve their stated targets.

Cuppa
-10th April 2013, 20:26
Leah King just lost 15-14 in the top 32.

The GB fencers have lost quite a few key fights 15-14. I wonder what can and is being done to help turn these losses into wins in the future?

Belief in your training
Train your belief

Cyranna's Father
-10th April 2013, 20:41
Agreed Chris. However, that no female junior épéeists were selected must show that a renewed focus on that weapon is needed.

Four weapons have taken place and we have Jack in the 32 tomorrow and I wish him every success. We also have MF and one female sabreur; Aliya) and I wish them every success too.

My point is that there needs to be a real concentration and support for all weapons if the BFA is to achieve their stated targets.

I thought their stated target was to make foil successful by 2016? or did I miss something while I was de-stressing

pinkelephant
-11th April 2013, 11:02
MF doing well. Tofalides 6/6, Rattan dropped one, Archer 3/5 and through his L128 bout 15/2 -the other two have byes into the L64.

HelenC
-11th April 2013, 11:05
......and for those missing any GB women's epee involvement - Isabel di Tella, who's Argentinian but currently UK based, has reached the semis.

Helen.

pinkelephant
-11th April 2013, 11:49
Alex through 15/9

pinkelephant
-11th April 2013, 12:09
Kristjan through 15/8

pinkelephant
-11th April 2013, 12:15
Amol through 15/7

JohnL
-11th April 2013, 12:25
Looks like both Kristjan and Alex have pretty good L32 draws. Amol's looks a bit tougher.

pinkelephant
-11th April 2013, 12:45
Jack out 15/13

TomA
-11th April 2013, 12:56
Just heard on the commentary that Karim and David have signed contracts to do more commentary next year. FML.

Keith.A.Smith
-11th April 2013, 13:00
Good luck to the Men's Foilists tomorrow. Good effort so far.

Bad luck to Jack Hudson losing 15-13.

Mini
-11th April 2013, 13:36
Aaliyah 4V2D and both defeats were 5-4!

Ronald Velden
-11th April 2013, 14:37
Aliya through to last 32 having defeated Bourget [Can] 15-6

Keith.A.Smith
-11th April 2013, 16:04
Good to see 4 GB fencers in the 32 tomorrow. Good luck to all of them.

Maitre D
-11th April 2013, 17:20
Just heard on the commentary that Karim and David have signed contracts to do more commentary next year. FML.

FML x 2

Can't wait for more narration of the score and time. Oh, and the simple addition/subtraction for us arithmetically challenged viewers who can't work out that, if one score is 9 and the other is 12, someone is ahead/behind by 3 and if a hit is now scored then someone is ahead/behind by 2 or 4!

Oh, wait... the info is actually superimposed on the feed. Commentary as BGO. It's not radio folks!

And the other one has been watching too many athletic shoe adverts and thinks commentary is hyperventilated hyperbole rather than informed analysis.

Foilling Around
-11th April 2013, 19:09
Looks like both Kristjan and Alex have pretty good L32 draws. Amol's looks a bit tougher.

Actually I would say Alex has a hard draw in Tsoronis who is 5th in the world and regularly makes L16 and beyond in JWCs. This is a very high level match at L32 level as Tsoronis dropped 2 fights in the poules.

Amol and Kristjan have easier fights against opponents who don't generally go beyond L32 at JWC level.

Foilling Around
-11th April 2013, 19:16

So the FIE are obviously happy with them!

I don't find anything objectionable about the commentary and it has improved since they started at the Europeans and continued in London.

If you listen to commentary on most sports it is gererally banal and repeats in words what you are looking at. There is a minimum of technical input.

They are also doing the English language commentary for all English speaking countries where the fencing terminology is used differently.

TomA
-11th April 2013, 19:42
So the FIE are obviously happy with them!

I don't find anything objectionable about the commentary and it has improved since they started at the Europeans and continued in London.
Has it? I thought Jimmy Thornton in particular as well as Mark N-G were both better at the Europeans in the commentary box than what we are getting now, as were Dave Baker and Jon Salfield in Catania. Something all of those people have in common is that they have been highly active in the sport internationally, at a level which requires them to know what is going on. Since that period, IMO the commentary has been increasingly dumbed-down to such a degree that it is now pointless. David King in particular clearly has very limited knowledge of what happens on piste in any of the weapons.

They are also doing the English language commentary for all English speaking countries where the fencing terminology is used differently.Oh come on, anyone who is watching who is a fencer will be able to figure out the slight lexical differences. In reality what they are doing is making their descriptions vague enough that they can't be wrong and therefore highlight their own lack of understanding (again, David in particular - Karim can call the foil reasonably well when he's in the mood).

I don't agree with your comments on commentary (ho ho) in other sports. Tennis strikes a good balance at Wimbledon with Andrew Castle and John McEnroe in my opinion. The former was a good enough player in his day to know what is going on and explain it to viewers who haven't played. The latter is someone who operated at the top level of the sport, has a great understanding of tactics and can make accurate predictions. I think Karim is well-suited to be an 'Andrew Castle' but we need someone a step up to be a 'McEnroe'.

If I had to find a tennis commentary comparison for Mr King, it would probably be my dad sitting on the sofa at home, readin out the score and saying 'Andy just needs to keep getting it over the net'.

Lee Spiers
-11th April 2013, 22:33
What's the American commentator all about? Did the fie ask for some random bloke with the most monotone voice ever who knows piss all about fencing?
What a joke. The ME finals were good though.

Paul N-M
-12th April 2013, 08:02
Has it? I thought Jimmy Thornton in particular as well as Mark N-G were both better at the Europeans in the commentary box than what we are getting now, as were Dave Baker and Jon Salfield in Catania. Something all of those people have in common is that they have been highly active in the sport internationally, at a level which requires them to know what is going on. Since that period, IMO the commentary has been increasingly dumbed-down to such a degree that it is now pointless. David King in particular clearly has very limited knowledge of what happens on piste in any of the weapons.

Oh come on, anyone who is watching who is a fencer will be able to figure out the slight lexical differences. In reality what they are doing is making their descriptions vague enough that they can't be wrong and therefore highlight their own lack of understanding (again, David in particular - Karim can call the foil reasonably well when he's in the mood).

I don't agree with your comments on commentary (ho ho) in other sports. Tennis strikes a good balance at Wimbledon with Andrew Castle and John McEnroe in my opinion. The former was a good enough player in his day to know what is going on and explain it to viewers who haven't played. The latter is someone who operated at the top level of the sport, has a great understanding of tactics and can make accurate predictions. I think Karim is well-suited to be an 'Andrew Castle' but we need someone a step up to be a 'McEnroe'.

If I had to find a tennis commentary comparison for Mr King, it would probably be my dad sitting on the sofa at home, readin out the score and saying 'Andy just needs to keep getting it over the net'.

Spot on Tom!
Paul N-M

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-12th April 2013, 08:19
Tofalides wins his L32. Couldn't see the score as video was covering the opposite side of the hall.

pinkelephant
-12th April 2013, 08:20
Alex wins 15/12

Gav
-12th April 2013, 08:23
Later, when I get the chance, I am going to merge the posts about commentary into the either the general thread on radical change or the one on the App (which seems to have morphed into a general discussion on commentating) so that this thread can be left to discuss these championships.

Some good posts though guys!

Jacdaw
-12th April 2013, 08:43
Was a close one for Nista, being the European champ I was expecting him to fly through that round!

Jacdaw
-12th April 2013, 09:10
Nice one from Amol, nice fight and hits! all 3 foilists through to the L16

rake
-12th April 2013, 09:11
Three GBR fencers into L16 in the Men's Foil. Very nice :D

Keith.A.Smith
-12th April 2013, 09:50
Excellent news. Just the sort of results we need.

Red
-12th April 2013, 10:27
Alex out 15/13

Red
-12th April 2013, 10:36
And Kristjan out 15/2

Red
-12th April 2013, 10:42
Amol through to L8 15/11

hokers
-12th April 2013, 10:43
But Amol is through 15-11.

Jacdaw
-12th April 2013, 10:49
interesting fight between archer and choupenitch, Choupenitch was just so quick on those attack on prep.

Keith.A.Smith
-12th April 2013, 10:59
Well done Amol.

Red
-12th April 2013, 11:17
And he's out 15/11

pinkelephant
-12th April 2013, 11:18
Amol now out 15/11

Jacdaw
-12th April 2013, 11:27
7th 10th and 15th. Not bad really!

Gildas Braine
-12th April 2013, 12:41
Aliya on the green piste now for a place in the L16.

Gildas Braine
-12th April 2013, 12:54
Aliya 8-3 up at break, and wins 15-14. Good luck in the 16!

hokers
-12th April 2013, 12:54
She's done it! Lovely work under pressure.

Ronald Velden
-12th April 2013, 12:55
Despite at least 3 red cards! Well done. She faces now Marton [Hungary].

Keith.A.Smith
-12th April 2013, 13:09
Great news for Aliya. Good luck for the next round.

Ronald Velden
-12th April 2013, 13:54
Aliya loses 14-15 to Anna Marton the world's number one ranked fencer. It would have been nice to have watched some of the fight or at least received from the FIEs British Commentators at least some level of running commentary!

Rob.Leicester
-12th April 2013, 13:57
You could watch the fight? You just needed to swap to the other piste cam on the live feed...

Keith.A.Smith
-12th April 2013, 15:10
3x top 16 and a top 8 today is good news.

Amol Rattan and Molly Hudson share honours for top junior and top cadet results( top 8 in each case)

Overall our juniors achieved

MF 2 x top 16 and 1 x top 8
WS 1 x top 16
ME 1 x top 32
WF 1 x top 32
MS 0 x 32
WE No fencers were selected.

Good luck for the team events.

Foilling Around
-12th April 2013, 16:05
You could watch the fight? You just needed to swap to the other piste cam on the live feed...

I depends what you are watvhing it on. I can pick up the different feeds on the laptop, but only the main feed on the iPad.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-12th April 2013, 22:16
I depends what you are watvhing it on. I can pick up the different feeds on the laptop, but only the main feed on the iPad.

Thought it was just me doing something wrong. On previous days iPad had multiple feeds.

Foilling Around
-13th April 2013, 09:25
Thought it was just me doing something wrong. On previous days iPad had multiple feeds.

The technical bods seem to be trying new things each day. I hope this is all a learning process for future events otherwise they will just get it perfect on the last day of the champs!!

Coupe du Nord
-13th April 2013, 13:44
Men's epee team lose 45-39 to Mexico.

purple
-13th April 2013, 16:50
The technical bods seem to be trying new things each day. I hope this is all a learning process for future events otherwise they will just get it perfect on the last day of the champs!!

Yep,

there's been quite a few changes every time I tune in to the feed. Subtle changes.

Good on them. I freakin' like this use of technology.

TBennett
-13th April 2013, 17:17
Anyone able to say why, in the Women's team epee, Venezuela went through against China "by penalty". Did China get black-carded and if so, what for?

wear wanderers
-13th April 2013, 17:46
Also Israel and South Africa in the JME.

pinkelephant
-13th April 2013, 19:06
In both cases in JME it looks if the other team didn't show up.

JackSparrow
-13th April 2013, 19:38
Anyone able to say why, in the Women's team epee, Venezuela went through against China "by penalty". Did China get black-carded and if so, what for?

*from fencing.net*

You won't believe it - the Chinese didn't show up on the strip for their bout (for a long time) and got black carded! Turns out they thought they were done for the day and went back to the hotel. They came rushing back but way too late.

TBennett
-13th April 2013, 21:35
ooops....fail. Maybe the communication wasn't the best if it happened to multiple teams...?

Jon Willis
-13th April 2013, 22:17
ooops....fail. Maybe the communication wasn't the best if it happened to multiple teams...?

Gordon, did you tell them which team they had at what time and on what piste???? :p

pinkelephant
-13th April 2013, 23:32
No. One of the other teams was the Democratic Republic of Congo, whose fencers did not show up for the individual either. The other match was Israel v Kuwait ...

TBennett
-14th April 2013, 08:20
No. One of the other teams was the Democratic Republic of Congo, whose fencers did not show up for the individual either. The other match was Israel v Kuwait ...

I thought it was only Israel vs Iran fights where the Iranians wouldn't turn up.. Hadn't realised Kuwait did it too...?

cesh_fencing
-14th April 2013, 08:22
Mens foilists start as number 3 seeds. Looks like they will get China in their first match (who are destroying Canada).

Foilling Around
-14th April 2013, 12:50
Given that China have 5 fencers in the top 40 in the seior MF rankings, they cant be happy with one L32 and 2xL64 in the junior individuals.

J4G
-14th April 2013, 13:53
I presume that the MF L16 onwards is tomorrow?

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 08:05
GB currently 31-24 up in 7th bout.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 08:26
Win 45 - 39

Next up Poland or Hungary in L8

riposteinprime
-15th April 2013, 11:31
who is the insufferable women shouting in the background?

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 11:51
14-10 up after 3 bouts

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 11:56
20-12 up

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 12:09
20-20 - Rattan suffers a bad one

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 12:25
28-24 up.

Birch now on

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 12:31
35-28 up

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 12:37
Great fight from Tofalides - 40-28 up

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 12:44
45-33 now face a very strong USA team including 2 Olympians

Great work so far. Let's get a medal now!

JohnL
-15th April 2013, 12:45
Really good win for the boys against Hungary.

The semi against the USA is a big ask given the rankings, but I say they take them and make the final. (Apologies if my prediction is the kiss of death!!)

Keith.A.Smith
-15th April 2013, 12:53
Great news so far. Now for a medal.

RIchardn
-15th April 2013, 13:44
Any idea what time the next round is?

RIchardn
-15th April 2013, 13:49
Forget that last post it's on now!

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 14:18
Doing great so far!

down 25-24

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 14:32
Need something good now. 35-31 down

Rudd
-15th April 2013, 14:36
Italy though to the final.
GBR 40-36 down going into final round.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 14:44
Tofalides gave it a go but Massialias just too good

45-41

Russia for bronze

JohnL
-15th April 2013, 14:44
Great effort from the Guys.

Going hit for hit with a team that has 2 Olympians is seriously impressive.

If they fence with the same intensity against Russia for 3rd, they're certainly in with a shot.

hokers
-15th April 2013, 14:47
Great effort from the Guys.

Going hit for hit with a team that has 2 Olympians is seriously impressive.

If they fence with the same intensity against Russia for 3rd, they're certainly in with a shot.

Absolutely. Much better fencing than I've seen from them before, they were in that match all the way.

A couple more off targets converted and that could have gone to the wire, Alex attacking Imboden's octave pretty relentlessly early on in the last match.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 15:56
Need something special now.

35-28 down in the 8th round.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 15:59
40-30 down

Keith.A.Smith
-15th April 2013, 16:13
To come 4th in the world is still a really good effort.

Congratulations to the team.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-15th April 2013, 16:21
4th is a great result.

Showed against both USA and Russia that we're not far away. Fighting spirit was there and they all gave absolutely everything.

JohnL
-15th April 2013, 16:33
Congrats to the Guys!!!!!

4th must be about the worst feeling. All the effort without the reward.

Take the satisfaction that you can hang with the best in the world!!!!!!

Respect

riposteinprime
-15th April 2013, 18:36
Surely our best result at a team world championships in many many years. Congrats to all, mr Tofalides in particular was fencing out of his skin!!

Meg_SF
-15th April 2013, 19:55
Great result and no shame to lose to that USA team. Well done boys!