PDA

View Full Version : European and World Championships GB teams

Keith.A.Smith
-5th May 2013, 17:10
Now that the world cups and GP events are coming to an end, does anyone know when the GB fencers for the Europeans and Worlds will be announced.

What are the qualification standards for each event?

Someone told me that only Richard and James are qualified as of right for the worlds. Is that correct?

Keith.A.Smith
-5th May 2013, 20:59
Have been looking at the qualification standards for the Europeans and Worlds. It says top 10 of the FIE team rankings or top 8 in the Europan Championships.

In several years the European Championships has only had 8 teams in one weapon. Would that mean a team coming last at the Europeans would qualify for the world championships?

The qualifying standard for the worlds is very tough. 1x top 8 or 2x top 16 in FIE world cups or GP events or in the European Championships for individuals( currently only Richard and James). Teams that make the top 8 in the 2013 Europeans qualify for the World Championships.( probably a slightly easier way in than the individual qualification.)

Looking forward to seeing who is selected for the Europeans and Worlds this year.

munkey
-5th May 2013, 22:41
MF and WF teams both currently 8th in world rankings so full teams for individual and team events at Europeans CAN be selected for individuals and teams. Worth sending a full WF team based on this season? Particularly when team results this season have been 11th, 12th, 12th and 10th.

As for individual qualification, Davis and Kruse have qualified for Worlds (qualifying standard = 2 x L16 or 1 x L8 or better) and Europeans. Keith Cook has qualified for the Europeans (qualifying standard = 2 x L32 or 1 x L16). No-one else has met the qualifying standards so far AFAIK. Interestingly the Performance Team don't have to select the fencers that have qualified as individuals for the team event. So, for example, we could see Davis, Kruse, Cook and Mepstead fencing in the individuals at the Europeans but Kruse, Davis, Rosowsky and Melia fence in the team event. Clearly it would be inconceivable that a qualified but non-WCP funded fencer would be replaced in the team event by an unqualified but WCP funded fencer. Wouldn't it?

coach carson
-6th May 2013, 06:11
Clearly it would be inconceivable that a qualified but non-WCP funded fencer would be replaced in the team event by an unqualified but WCP funded fencer. Wouldn't it?

You taking bets?

Ronald Velden
-6th May 2013, 07:46
Frankly the issue should not be about placings, but rather competitiveness and potential.

The Performance Manager and UK Sport appear to focus too much importance to the former as we saw last
year in the lead up to the Olympics. The question is do you prefer to see a team finish 8th there but get crushed
by most of the top ranked teams or finish let's say in last 16, but lose narrowly 45-42 to Korea the Olympic Champions as we saw yesterday when a young mens sabre team fenced in Chicago.

Frankly the qualification standards for Europeans and Worlds are ridiculous. We could land up sending a mens
foil team, but noone else.

One of my main concerns about current policy is that there is overemphasis on one weapon based purely on short term statistics rather than long term planning.Unless that is reddressed we could begin to see an irreversible drop out rate.

coach carson
-6th May 2013, 17:42
Frankly the issue should not be about placings, but rather competitiveness and potential.

The Performance Manager and UK Sport appear to focus too much importance to the former as we saw last
year in the lead up to the Olympics. The question is do you prefer to see a team finish 8th there but get crushed
by most of the top ranked teams or finish let's say in last 16, but lose narrowly 45-42 to Korea the Olympic Champions as we saw yesterday when a young mens sabre team fenced in Chicago.

Frankly the qualification standards for Europeans and Worlds are ridiculous. We could land up sending a mens
foil team, but noone else.

One of my main concerns about current policy is that there is overemphasis on one weapon based purely on short term statistics rather than long term planning.Unless that is reddressed we could begin to see an irreversible drop out rate.

I think you are right. A good process might be numbers+talent development+competitiveness=placings. But I'd also like to see merit as they key ingredient in the pathway from start to end. Who they select or don't select will give a clear indication of what sort of game is actually being played and what is driving the decision making.

Keith.A.Smith
-17th May 2013, 18:39
Has the GB team been announced?

tigger
-17th May 2013, 20:16
Hi Keith
Results up to May 20th count towards selection for Euros, so no selections will have been made as yet

Keith.A.Smith
-17th May 2013, 20:18
Thanks Jon.

Fingers crossed for this weekend.

munkey
-18th May 2013, 08:26
GB team for Euros due to be announced on Monday.

Keith.A.Smith
-20th May 2013, 20:35
Not today. Maybe tomorrow?

munkey
-20th May 2013, 21:17
Not today. Maybe tomorrow?

Hope so. The suspense is killing me.

Keith.A.Smith
-21st May 2013, 18:53
Maybe on Wednesday

munkey
-21st May 2013, 19:25
Maybe.

Keith.A.Smith
-21st May 2013, 19:28
I hope the selection rules have been set aside to allow fencers with potential to be selected, but who are not technically qualified.

Good luck to all the individuals and team(s) selected.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-22nd May 2013, 08:36
MF Kruse,Cook,Davis,Mepstead - same fencers for team
WF Sheppard, Troiano - no team
WE Lawrence - no team
MS Honeybone, Crutchett, Aiyenuro - same fencers for team reserve tbc
ME - no selection
WS - no selection

On BF site now

TBennett
-22nd May 2013, 08:46
Good luck to the team selected, commiserations to those who missed out.

TBennett
-22nd May 2013, 08:52
Can't see info on website, can you put a link on here?

coach carson
-22nd May 2013, 08:55
I'm delighted to see a MS team in. Can someone talk me through how they qualified?

Miacat
-22nd May 2013, 09:09
Shame they are not sending Women's Foil Team when they are qualified!

Cyranna's Father
-22nd May 2013, 09:14
Shame they are not sending Women's Foil Team when they are qualified!

how did they qualify?

TBennett
-22nd May 2013, 09:16
how did they qualify?

L8 at last year's Europeans

Cyranna's Father
-22nd May 2013, 09:19
L8 at last year's Europeans

8th out of how many?

Just curious after the Olympic thing

hokers
-22nd May 2013, 09:37
Selections are all discretionary apart from Kruse/Davis (Worlds) and Cook/Troiano (Euros) as far as I can tell.

Sad to see no WS get the opportunity, but 4 of the top 5 are retired and Sophie has only competed 3 times this year, and not got past the L64.

Mike_Salter
-22nd May 2013, 10:03
Fantastic to see Soji selected to get invaluable experience and points on the board before his first full senior season! disappointed to see that absolutely no one from women's sabre or even men's epee will get the same chance...we're just gonna end up with lots more fencers ranked unfairly low in the next set of a-grades who come up against the top lot and get spanked and then stop getting selected because they got spanked. Leading fencing nation here we come!!!!

Ronald Velden
-22nd May 2013, 10:36
I'm delighted to see a MS team in. Can someone talk me through how they qualified?

Personally I am glad that the BFA have shown common sense and reversed the very rigid qualification criteria. I think that selecting a mens sabre team after Chicago is the right decision.

These fencers are young and demonstrated as a team that they are competitive at the top table. The WCP Programme is supposed to be focussed on producing medals in 2020 and frankly I would hope by then mens
sabre will offer the same depth of talent as is now on offer in mens foil.

This shows at long last a commitment within the BFA to support other athletes apart from those in WCP ie mens foilists and the other two who received funding.

Congratulations to all including selectors.

Ronald Velden
-22nd May 2013, 10:40
Fantastic to see Soji selected to get invaluable experience and points on the board before his first full senior season! disappointed to see that absolutely no one from women's sabre or even men's epee will get the same chance...we're just gonna end up with lots more fencers ranked unfairly low in the next set of a-grades who come up against the top lot and get spanked and then stop getting selected because they got spanked. Leading fencing nation here we come!!!!

I think that WS Team would have been selected, but unfortunately the top fencers in the weapon are not competing at moment.

Cyranna's Father
-22nd May 2013, 11:01
Personally I am glad that the BFA have shown common sense and reversed the very rigid qualification criteria. I think that selecting a mens sabre team after Chicago is the right decision.

These fencers are young and demonstrated as a team that they are competitive at the top table. The WCP Programme is supposed to be focussed on producing medals in 2020 and frankly I would hope by then mens
sabre will offer the same depth of talent as is now on offer in mens foil.

This shows at long last a commitment within the BFA to support other athletes apart from those in WCP ie mens foilists and the other two who received funding.

Congratulations to all including selectors.

Excuse my cynicism RV but I think this shows an "instance" not a commitment, I await sight of regular instances in ALL weapons before I would even allow the word commitment to enter my mind

coach carson
-22nd May 2013, 11:04
I think that WS Team would have been selected, but unfortunately the top fencers in the weapon are not competing at moment.

The unintended consequences of well intentioned decisions no doubt.

Why not send full teams? We are effectively a two-track sport now so might it make sense to set higher standards for the supported athletes, but promote a more positive development stream for non-WCP.

Ronald Velden
-22nd May 2013, 12:32
The unintended consequences of well intentioned decisions no doubt.

Why not send full teams? We are effectively a two-track sport now so might it make sense to set higher standards for the supported athletes, but promote a more positive development stream for non-WCP.

I suspect that they are still trying to maintain some rigour in selection process even if they are now trying to be more realistic.

Womens Sabre would I am sure have been selected, because they produced as a team a last 8 result earlier this season. However, the top 4 fencers have stopped competing in recent months.

Womens Foil has only two fencers who are of international standard. Let's be realistic also the weapon's team
is not remotely competitive as was demonstrated at last Olympics. They were heavily beaten by both Italy and Japan.

Epee has clearly got issues to resolve with BFA. The main problem at moment has to be that very few epeeists are competing on international world cup circuit.

Keith.A.Smith
-22nd May 2013, 18:22
Good luck to all those who have been selected.

Let's hope they give us all something to cheer about and more qualify for the Worlds.

JohnL
-23rd May 2013, 12:36
Good luck to all those who have been selected.

Let's hope they give us all something to cheer about and more qualify for the Worlds.

I thought the selections were reasonable, given the results obtained by the athletes since the Olympics.

A couple of points i believe are worth discussing;

Congratulations to the MS on getting selected. Regardless of how they have been treated/affected by the BF policies, they continued training, competed, and got results. Their selection is no more than they deserve. Well Done Guys!!.
This is in stark contrast to other weapons (who were affected just as badly as MS), who have not competed, not been available, not trained, and now have not been selected.

I note from the BF website that a 4th MS will be selected soon for the team event but will not fence in the individual. My question is, why? If it's possible to send 4 fencers to the individual and BF are already sending 4 to the competition, why the hell not let the 4th fence. If he's needed in the Team event, the individual is essential if he's going to be up to "International Competition Speed" and of any use to the team. If he's only there for the team, I hope none of the top 3 tweak something.
If the 4th isn't allowed into the individual for competition qualifying reasons, I understand, but if he's already there and wants to be ready for the team, why not let him fence in the individual?

Keith.A.Smith
-2nd June 2013, 16:44
Not long till these championships start. Still hoping to hear Jack Hudson has been included in GB team after his 8th in a senior FIE World Cup.

miraberis
-2nd June 2013, 17:21
Not long till these championships start. Still hoping to hear Jack Hudson has been included in GB team after his 8th in a senior FIE World Cup.

Jack's result was really super and I was very pleased to hear about it.

But... does anyone really expect the BFA to break their own rules and select him for the Europeans when the result came after the deadline and the rest of the team (bar one reserve sabreur) has already been announced? I just don't see it happening and I hope people don't waste time grumbling if it doesn't. (Of course if it does I will happily eat my words.)
It would be much better to focus on the positives and look forward to the worlds, for which it seems the result in Argentina did come in time to qualify him. If he goes to Budapest I will be excited to watch his progress on the FIE live stream as he is obviously a very promising prospect for the future of British ME.

Steven-m
-2nd June 2013, 17:35
Hudson entered :D

Look on the European Championships website!

Keith.A.Smith
-2nd June 2013, 17:37
Excellent news. I gather the 4th sabreur has been selected too. It was just that nothing announced on the BF site.

Good luck to Jack and to the reserve sabreur.

miraberis
-2nd June 2013, 17:41
I just don't see it happening... (Of course if it does I will happily eat my words.)

Hudson entered :D

Look on the European Championships website!

Ha ha ha, shows what I know!

This is great - best of luck, Jack!

JohnL
-3rd June 2013, 17:16
Ha ha ha, shows what I know!

This is great - best of luck, Jack!

Great News

Where's the link?

i could only see for the Euro U-23's

Kepster
-3rd June 2013, 17:44
Great News

Where's the link?

i could only see for the Euro U-23's

http://www.skola-macevanja.hr/REZULTATI/EP2013ZG/EP2013ZG.html

JohnL
-3rd June 2013, 19:32
http://www.skola-macevanja.hr/REZULTATI/EP2013ZG/EP2013ZG.html

No Italians, Germans, Hungarians, Poles entered yet?

Also, it would seem GB's mysterious 4th Sabreur (Whoever he is) isn't fencing in the individual!!!

wide eagle
-3rd June 2013, 20:21
No Italians, Germans, Hungarians, Poles entered yet?

Also, it would seem GB's mysterious 4th Sabreur (Whoever he is) isn't fencing in the individual!!!

I think its Curtis Miller. That's what it seams to say on the selection sheet on BFA.

http://www.britishfencing.com/GBR/gb-sabre/

dtd
-3rd June 2013, 20:38
I think its Curtis Miller. That's what it seams to say on the selection sheet on BFA.

http://www.britishfencing.com/GBR/gb-sabre/

I am really pleased for Curtis, well done.

A little disappointed he won't be doing the individuals - he is clearly in great form at the moment having won both the Mike Matthews Cup and the Herts Open Sabre just over a week ago. Doesn't necessarily equate to international experience I know, but seems a waste of an opportunity.

JohnL
-4th June 2013, 12:20
I am really pleased for Curtis, well done.

A little disappointed he won't be doing the individuals - he is clearly in great form at the moment having won both the Mike Matthews Cup and the Herts Open Sabre just over a week ago. Doesn't necessarily equate to international experience I know, but seems a waste of an opportunity.

Indeed. Congratulations and best of luck.

I stated in an earlier post that if GB sends a 4th fencer to make up the team numbers in the Sabre (PE), if he's to be effective, it's essential that he fences in the individual. This is even more important for someone like Curtis who (for whatever reason) has not fenced internationally this season. It's hard enough to fence at international level but if he's needed to fence in the team, with every other fencer being up to full international speed, it's an almost impossible task.

There's nothing like being set up to fail. Despite the selection, another short sighted move by BF.

Hey Curtis, hope you go out there, fence in the team, and come storming through!!!!

Keith.A.Smith
-20th June 2013, 14:27
Congratulations to James Davis Bronze medal, Richard Kruse top 8 and James Honeybone top 16.

Really well done to the Men's Foil team who won Bronze today.

2 medals equals the 2010 European Championships.

Great news for BFA.

Good luck to the Men's Sabre in the team event.

JohnL
-20th June 2013, 14:45
Congratulations to James Davis Bronze medal, Richard Kruse top 8 and James Honeybone top 16.

Really well done to the Men's Foil team who won Bronze today.

2 medals equals the 2010 European Championships.

Great news for BFA.

Good luck to the Men's Sabre in the team event.

Oh my God, we're back on line.

I told Gav (We talked on Fencing.net) that my conspiracy theory was that BF had told LP to shut down the forum while the championships were on!!!!! No I'm not paranoid. (Who said that?)

In addition to the actual results (Well done the Men's Foilists and JH) I thought a couple of points were of interest;

Great result for JD, although he did get (earned by his poule results) the easier draw though the tableau. Clearly world class and will go further.

Watching RK take Cassara apart in the L16 was GREAT!

Well done MM making the L32 by beating Sedov. Not an easy draw at all. Joppich was tough as hell in all his DE matches.

Gav
-20th June 2013, 14:49
Oh my God, we're back on line.

I told Gav (I stalked him on Fencing.net) that my conspiracy theory was that BF had told LP to shut down the forum while the championships were on!!!!! No I'm not paranoid. (Who said that?)

In addition to the actual results (Well done the Men's Foilists and JH) I thought a couple of points were of interest;

Great result for JD, although he did get (earned by his poule results) the easier draw though the tableau. Clearly world class and will go further.

Watching RK take Cassara apart in the L16 was GREAT!

Well done MM making the L32 by beating Sedov. Not an easy draw at all. Joppich was tough as hell in all his DE matches.

Fixed that for you.

Gav
-20th June 2013, 14:52
Shame we never beat Poland - it was a really close match.

JohnL
-20th June 2013, 14:54
Shame we never beat Poland - it was a really close match.

I lost the damn live feed. Or did it stop for everyone?

Gav
-20th June 2013, 14:56

I lost the feed too. I thought it was just me...

pinkelephant
-20th June 2013, 14:57

They've been having technical difficulties all day.

Gav
-20th June 2013, 14:58
They've been having technical difficulties all day.

A couple of people have asked me why the thread keeps stuttering. As if I would know!

hokers
-20th June 2013, 16:11
Small margins everywhere (not least in the poland match).

MM has fenced really well in these championships. Looks compact, neat and controlled. Yet had he closed out vs Joppich from 11-5 up, he would have met Richard in the L8 and guaranteed at least another bronze!

JH was fencing much better than we've seen before, looked by far the better fencer in the L32, and though it wasn't broadcast, from the live scores we could see how close it was throughout the L16 bout.
+12 WC points onto his ranking should put him inside the top 50 as well I would have thought.

JohnL
-20th June 2013, 16:36
Small margins everywhere (not least in the poland match).

MM has fenced really well in these championships. Looks compact, neat and controlled. Yet had he closed out vs Joppich from 11-5 up, he would have met Richard in the L8 and guaranteed at least another bronze!

JH was fencing much better than we've seen before, looked by far the better fencer in the L32, and though it wasn't broadcast, from the live scores we could see how close it was throughout the L16 bout.
+12 WC points onto his ranking should put him inside the top 50 as well I would have thought.

I watched the MM/Joppich fight. I'll admit that having watched Joppich for a number of years now, he's one of the few top fencers that, when he's behind, has no problem in upping a gear and gong with flat out attacks. He can turn a deficit around faster than just about anyone else.

JH did well, but given the gguy he lost to actually has a lower WR than him, I would have liked to have seen him make the L8. Hell, I'm sure he would have liked it more than me!! Still a good result though and any uppng in his WR is to his credit.

Looking forward to see how the Sabre boys do in the team event. Time to take some scalps!!

TomA
-20th June 2013, 16:44
https://twitter.com/DaiFulch/status/347751954786684928/photo/1

A bit mean that they didn't let Ziemek on the podium when he coaches half (or two thirds, considering they're always on) of the team. Do any of them have lessons from Maciej?

JohnL
-20th June 2013, 16:55
https://twitter.com/DaiFulch/status/347751954786684928/photo/1

A bit mean that they didn't let Ziemek on the podium when he coaches half (or two thirds, considering they're always on) of the team. Do any of them have lessons from Maciej?

Given the current situation, I think AN would have got on the podium before Ziemek would be allowed up.

(Well done ZW)

hokers
-20th June 2013, 20:31
Given the current situation, I think AN would have got on the podium before Ziemek would be allowed up.

(Well done ZW)

This does sort of beg the question:

Why exactly is Ziemek NOT the world class coach we're looking for?

Coached a GP winner this season. European medals in 2013. Multiple L8 results this season.
That puts him in a very small group of coaches I reckon.

AussieMongrel
-20th June 2013, 21:02

Coached a GP winner this season. European medals in 2013. Multiple L8 results this season.
That puts him in a very small group of coaches I reckon.

fence balls

TomA
-20th June 2013, 21:02

That puts him in a very small group of coaches I reckon.Here's another question, how many coaches in the world have coached 3 different European individual medalists in MF? Cerioni, Ziemek and who else? Can't think of many more (Schrek maybe?). Or failing that, two GP winners and a medallist?

miraberis
-20th June 2013, 21:24
With such sparse information about personal coaches readily available, who knows?

On a lighter note...

Cerioni

"He's crazy!"

(Thank-you for that little gem, Mr Bashir. Would love to be present when Cerioni re-watches championships on video and hears that!)

JohnL
-20th June 2013, 21:40
With such sparse information about personal coaches readily available, who knows?

On a lighter note...

"He's crazy!"

(Thank-you for that little gem, Mr Bashir. Would love to be present when Cerioni re-watches championships on video and hears that!)

I think Mr Bashir simply called it how it is.

Cerioni always had a screw loose when he was a fencer and nothings changed much now he's a coach!!!!

TomA
-20th June 2013, 22:22
I think Mr Bashir simply called it how it is.

Cerioni always had a screw loose when he was a fencer and nothings changed much now he's a coach!!!!

I think the actual quote was 'He crazy' in a Mario-style voice, impersonating Cerioni giving his opinion of the referee. I said it on the stream at the time, it's the best commentary I've ever heard from Karim.

With such sparse information about personal coaches readily available, who knows? Well first of all if you look at which nations have actually had three individual medallists, there aren't that many (ok some coaches could have trained fencers from more than one nation, eg Cerioni, but unlikely). The question was somewhat rhetorical as I'm pretty sure I know the answer. Schreck is my one doubt as I have literally no idea as to what happens in German foil, apart from a load of celebratory pelvic thrusts and shouting if Joppich and Kleibrink are anything to go by.

Ronald Velden
-20th June 2013, 23:01
Many congratulations to all members of the British Team who have performed well in these Championships.
There has been considerable improvement in results not just in the mens foil. James Honeybone was an outstanding result for an 'unfunded' athlete.

For example Soji Aiyenuro aged 19 was pitted in the 'poule of death' in mens sabre containing both winner and
runner-up at these Championships plus Montano [Athens Olympic Gold Medallist] and Gemesi [Hungarian second
string]. Yet he qualified for D/E and lost narrowly 4-5 to Montano.

Fox66
-21st June 2013, 08:21
Final day today and the official results page is still broken! :mad:
Does anyone know of an alternative results source?

hokers
-21st June 2013, 08:43
http://engarde-service.com/prog/encours.php?org=ec2013&event=ec2013&compe=sms-eq

GBR currently down 29-40 vs UKR.

edit: now over UKR win 45-31.

Fox66
-21st June 2013, 08:57
Thanks for the link!

I was hoping that match would be live on the Youtube feed :(

hokers
-21st June 2013, 11:09
On again vs Spain now:
http://engarde-service.com/prog/showpiste.php?Compe=sms-eq&PoulTab=b4&NoMatch=1&Organisme=ec2013&nomCompe=Men%27s%20Sabre%20Team&Phase=Tableau%209-16%20de%204&Event=ec2013&lang=en

Not on the video feed though

hokers
-21st June 2013, 11:31
On again vs Spain now:
http://engarde-service.com/prog/showpiste.php?Compe=sms-eq&PoulTab=b4&NoMatch=1&Organisme=ec2013&nomCompe=Men%27s%20Sabre%20Team&Phase=Tableau%209-16%20de%204&Event=ec2013&lang=en

Not on the video feed though

GBR wins 45-33 to go into 9-10 bracket. No idea who they get next.

Fox66
-21st June 2013, 11:31
Comfortable win for GBR over ESP 45-33

Fox66
-21st June 2013, 11:33
GBR wins 45-33 to go into 9-10 bracket. No idea who they get next.

Maybe Belarus?

Peter C
-21st June 2013, 11:35
Watched it on the live feed. Alex Crutchett must have been on fire. He won his bouts 8-2, 5-0 and 5-0!

Steven-m
-21st June 2013, 11:47
good team effort. every hit counts!!

Aiuyenro 2-5, 6-5 and 8-5 in the Ukraine Match.

good luck to the boys on their next bout

Keith.A.Smith
-21st June 2013, 11:51
Good luck in the next match.

How many teams competing today in MS?

Keith

Steven-m
-21st June 2013, 11:58
Good luck in the next match.

How many teams competing today in MS?

Keith

13 teams I think

Peter C
-21st June 2013, 12:25
Lost 45 - 37 to Belarus. Good effort by our young team. Looked like they all got the better of Pryiemka, but found the other two too good. 10th overall.

Ronald Velden
-21st June 2013, 13:10
Losing 45-37 to Belarus is commendable result. Belarus won WCT in Chicago and were runners up in Moscow.
The three fencers who competed today plus Curtis Miller are a young but improving team. Let us hope that
they will be given opportunity to compete in World Championships.

Lefty Foilist
-21st June 2013, 13:21
Picks on British fencer of the tournament? Has to be Mepstead. :not_worth

Peter C
-21st June 2013, 13:26
Losing 45-37 to Belarus is commendable result. Belarus won WCT in Chicago and were runners up in Moscow.
The three fencers who competed today plus Curtis Miller are a young but improving team. Let us hope that
they will be given opportunity to compete in World Championships.

I agree, Ronald. It would be a shame if they are not given the opportunity to gain further experience at the top level and build on the promising start they have made as a team.

hokers
-21st June 2013, 13:36
I agree, Ronald. It would be a shame if they are not given the opportunity to gain further experience at the top level and build on the promising start they have made as a team.

Though I agree, there would seem to be little hope for this season unless some external sponsorship can be found.

Steven-m
-21st June 2013, 14:43
Picks on British fencer of the tournament? Has to be Mepstead. :not_worth

James Davis - 2 Bronze medals:D:D:D

Gav
-21st June 2013, 16:01
Finally! A new good news story on BBC news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/fencing/23007836

RIchardn
-21st June 2013, 16:04
But they don't mention Mepstead!

JohnL
-21st June 2013, 16:06
Finally! A new good news story on BBC news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/fencing/23007836

"James Davis, who won individual bronze in the foil discipline earlier in the week, was joined by Richard Kruse and Keith Cook for the team event."

Presumably the press releases are coordinated by someone at BF.

If that's the case, were they watching the same event I was?

Foilling Around
-21st June 2013, 23:25
"James Davis, who won individual bronze in the foil discipline earlier in the week, was joined by Richard Kruse and Keith Cook for the team event."

Presumably the press releases are coordinated by someone at BF.

If that's the case, were they watching the same event I was?

Isn't the press release what is posted on the website, in which case it is the BBC who have read it wrongly not BF getting it wrong.

Hassan
-22nd June 2013, 13:58
It's very easy though to get them to correct their reports. Someone just needs to send an email. I did it when they missed off Husayn's university in the story on the World University Games and they did it within a matter of hours. Not a great fan of the BBC but pretty impressed by that.

Danum
-22nd June 2013, 16:59
Just had a look at the article and Marcus is definitely mentioned.

Foilling Around
-23rd June 2013, 20:18
Just had a look at the article and Marcus is definitely mentioned.

True, and Marcus wasn't there originally. So I assume Karim has done his job and the article has been corrected!

DuckHitToWrist
-24th June 2013, 11:31
True, and Marcus wasn't there originally. So I assume Karim has done his job and the article has been corrected!

It's not been completely corrected because they're still being referred to as a trio.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-26th June 2013, 16:15
Seen no mention elsewhere - Davis up to 5 in World Rankings after Europeans. :not_worth

Kruse 19
Mepstead 68
Cook 98

munkey
-26th June 2013, 21:14
GB team for World Championships due to be selected Monday 1st July.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-26th June 2013, 22:58
Can't see past a repeat of the Euro's team surely?

With only Davis & Kruse qualified by right though it leaves opportunity for surprises.

Personally I think the Euros team have earned the right.

munkey
-27th June 2013, 06:36
Can't see past a repeat of the Euro's team surely?

With only Davis & Kruse qualified by right though it leaves opportunity for surprises.

Personally I think the Euros team have earned the right.

LOL! Assume you're talking about MF only. Jack Hudson also qualified and I hope the MS team get a chance too - I was impressed by them in Zagreb. Presumably Corinna Lawrence and Natalia Sheppard will be selected as WCP fencers.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-27th June 2013, 13:52
LOL! Assume you're talking about MF only. Spot on!

Don't follow the other weapons so much but FWIW I think MS should be given the chance and good luck to Jack Hudson.