PDA

View Full Version : World Championships! (good luck team GB)

Keith.A.Smith
-2nd August 2013, 17:01
Good luck to the 11 GB fencers at the World Championships. Monday and Tuesday see the qualification rounds down to top 64 in each weapon.

Hope the results can be posted in this thread ASAP.

Looking forward to cheering on good results.

Keith

Mini
-2nd August 2013, 20:10
Does anyone know where the results live feed will be and where I can find an entry list?

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-2nd August 2013, 23:37
should all become available here

expect live feeds of later stages on FIE Youtube channel.

http://fencing2013.hu/en/

coach carson
-5th August 2013, 09:07
There seem to be a lot of fencers withdrawing at the start. Honeybone looking on sparkling form.

coach carson
-5th August 2013, 10:30
Curtis out. Soji through to 96. James and Alex had byes into 96.

Keith.A.Smith
-5th August 2013, 11:11
I think James has a bye to main 64 as he was in the top 16 after the pools. Good luck to Alex and Soji.

Any news on results, please post ASAP as my iPhone will not show live scores.

Ronald Velden
-5th August 2013, 11:19
Soji has gone through to last 64 winning second DE 15-14.

Ronald Velden
-5th August 2013, 12:07
Crutchett loses to Oh [Korea] 10-15

Honeybone and Aiyenuro qualify for last 64 on Wednesday.

Keith.A.Smith
-5th August 2013, 12:07
Well done James and Soji on making the main 64 tableau.

Good luck on Wednesday.

Miacat
-5th August 2013, 13:48
Nathalia Sheppard had 2V, 4D in women's Foil, will fence against Chen of China later to qualify for the next round.

JohnL
-5th August 2013, 14:22
Well done James and Soji on making the main 64 tableau.

Good luck on Wednesday.

Soji gets Occhiuzzi and James gets Oh.

Both tough draws, but hey, if you're in the L64 of the WC's and expect an easy draw, you're in the wrong place!!

Go for it guys!!
:)

DuckHitToWrist
-5th August 2013, 15:39
Where is everyone getting the results from? The official website seems to not be updating the results.

Ronald Velden
-5th August 2013, 16:13
If you log into FIE Website and scroll down to www.fie.org you can access all results and current matches by
logging in on World Championship section on right hand side of page.

JohnL
-5th August 2013, 16:37
Corinna gets 5V-1D

Really good start in the poules.

Good luck in the Prelim DE!!

DuckHitToWrist
-5th August 2013, 16:58
If you log into FIE Website and scroll down to www.fie.org you can access all results and current matches by
logging in on World Championship section on right hand side of page.

I don't have an account and can't see an option to create a new account.

Gav
-5th August 2013, 17:01
RV's terminology isn't correct. Go there and click results. http://www.engarde-service.com/files/wch2013/wch2013/ that's where you get taken. The stream was supposed to start at 1630 but as I'm on a bus I'm not checking it right now.

DuckHitToWrist
-5th August 2013, 17:34
RV's terminology isn't correct. Go there and click results. http://www.engarde-service.com/files/wch2013/wch2013/ that's where you get taken. The stream was supposed to start at 1630 but as I'm on a bus I'm not checking it right now.

That is the link I've been using all day and only occasionally updating. For the big events they should only use fencingworldwide it's never had an issue - everything else is rubbish. :(

Ronald Velden
-5th August 2013, 17:35
The link which I mention is on the front page of FIE website if you scroll down and it is in links section in middle
of page.

However, you can also access the website if you go to BFA Website and go to second news item about British
Team going to World Championships. It is a link at bottom of page.

JohnL
-5th August 2013, 18:09
Corinna loses 15-10

Semmed to hold her own (against a girl of similar WR to hers) to about the mid point but then the other girl seemed to run away with it a bit.

Keith.A.Smith
-5th August 2013, 18:10
Natalia Sheppard into the main 64 against the no.4 seed. Corinna Lawrence eliminated.

Good luck to Phil Marsh and Richard, Keith and Marcus tomorrow.

Keith

TomA
-5th August 2013, 18:13
Natalia Sheppard into the main 64 against the no.4 seed. Corinna Lawrence eliminated.

Good luck to Phil Marsh and Richard, Keith and Marcus tomorrow.

Keith
I think you mean Jack Hudson?

Keith.A.Smith
-5th August 2013, 18:21
Sorry. Yes Jack Hudson. Very large field, but Jack has shown he has what it takes.

Keith.A.Smith
-6th August 2013, 13:02
Jack is into the 128. Good luck to him.

JohnL
-6th August 2013, 13:23
Gets Spautz (GER) in the DE (Prelim 128)

Ronald Velden
-6th August 2013, 13:32
Interesting statistics. Both mens and womens sabre have had a larger entry than their counterparts in foil.

Womens foil has 83 entries compared with sabre 108 entries.

Is this the first time that sabre is larger? If so is this a trend in market? Perhaps womens foil is suffering from
domination by Italians.

JohnL
-6th August 2013, 14:08
Jack goes out 15-12

cesh_fencing
-6th August 2013, 15:18
Perhaps womens foil is suffering from domination by Italians.

Probably not the only reason..

AnotheFencer
-6th August 2013, 16:17
Men's Foil Just Started: Richard, Marcus & Keith in the qualifying round.

Richard claimed first victory v-3

pinkelephant
-6th August 2013, 16:28
Interesting statistics. Both mens and womens sabre have had a larger entry than their counterparts in foil.

Is this the first time that sabre is larger? If so is this a trend in market? Perhaps womens foil is suffering from
domination by Italians.

WF has been the smallest weapon for quite some time now.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-6th August 2013, 16:37
Keith 2V 1D so far - poule of 6
Richard 2V 0D - poule of 7

Marcus still showing in first fight - presume injury break

pigeonmeister
-6th August 2013, 17:29
Cookie V2 D3 - hard poule
Kruse V4 with two fights left- comparatively easy poule
Mepstead V2 D2 with two fights left- reasonably tough poule

pigeonmeister
-6th August 2013, 17:36
Kruse now 5 up with only the Turkish fencer, who has so far lost all his fights 5-1, to go.

Foilling Around
-6th August 2013, 17:36

domination by Italians.

I think it is a big part of it. Foil is dominated by Italy, Russia and France. (26 in MF and 27 in WF out if the top 80 in the world) Onlt 12 of these per weapon can be at the worlds and many smaller nations will not send fencers who have no chance of making a good showing. I believe it is called a "no compromise" approach and it could lead to the death of some sports if all countries follow the British approach and only send medal prospects to World and Olympic Championships.

I do however agree with Chris that foil has lost out with the timing changes. It loses out in that it has neither the simplicity of epee (in terms of understandability), nor the swash-buckling speed of sabre (in that even though it is unintelligible to the laymen it is fast and furious).

Ronald Velden
-6th August 2013, 18:06

Of course not I was trying to be diplomatic. However, whilst it might have been the smallest womens weapon in
recent times I would not have expected such a large difference between foil and sabre and that has to raise
serious questions about its future in Olympics. I know that it will be excluded at Rio under rotation rules, but
I would fear for its future beyond that if there is such a low turnout.

Furthermore many of the top fencers are now approaching their 30s.

pigeonmeister
-6th August 2013, 18:06
Mepstead finishes V3 D2
Kruse V6- ranked 1st after the poules
Meptead- 52nd
Cook- 61st

Keith.A.Smith
-6th August 2013, 18:37
GB now has 5 out off 11 fencers qualified for the main 64 tableaux. Let's hope Keith and Marcus join them and make it 7.

Good to Richard top the pools and get a bye direct to main 64.

Keith

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-6th August 2013, 19:18
Keith 7-5 up so far

JohnL
-6th August 2013, 19:27
Keith 7-5 up so far

Damn, was up but ends up losing 15-13

:(

Gav
-6th August 2013, 19:48
I see Marcus is getting hammered (10-4 to Toldo) and is a yellow down. Anyone know what's going on there?

Gav
-6th August 2013, 19:53
I see Marcus had a bit of a comeback (to 10-7) but out 15-8.

Keith.A.Smith
-6th August 2013, 20:13
GB has 2 MS, 1WF and 2 MF into the main 64.

Good luck to James, Soji and Natalia tomorrow.

JohnL
-6th August 2013, 20:45
Interesting for the MF guys

If things go to form;

RK fights; L64-WR.23, L32-WR.16, L16-WR.2

JD fights; L64-WR.168, L32-WR.31, L16-WR.12.

Personally, I'd take JD's draw over RK's.

But on the other hand, you're both world class, take whoever stands in your way!!!!
:)

munkey
-6th August 2013, 21:43
Right, now that I've finished shouting and swearing at my laptop and had time to look at the L64 tableau, I'd say that's a pretty tasty draw for James. Jianfei Ma potentially in L16 which is a tough but very winnable fight. Tougher for Richard with Mertine and Heo in quick succession but he's obviously fencing well and if he can negotiate his way past those two, he'll have no fear of facing Cassara after the thrashing Richard gave him at the Europeans. Really hope the guys can pull out some big results on Friday.

JohnL
-6th August 2013, 22:47
Right, now that I've finished shouting and swearing at my laptop and had time to look at the L64 tableau, I'd say that's a pretty tasty draw for James. Jianfei Ma potentially in L16 which is a tough but very winnable fight. Tougher for Richard with Mertine and Heo in quick succession but he's obviously fencing well and if he can negotiate his way past those two, he'll have no fear of facing Cassara after the thrashing Richard gave him at the Europeans. Really hope the guys can pull out some big results on Friday.

Agreed

Unfortunately the only real "surprises" in the DE were Keith and Marcus' bouts!!!

Ronald Velden
-6th August 2013, 22:54
I think it is a big part of it. Foil is dominated by Italy, Russia and France. (26 in MF and 27 in WF out if the top 80 in the world) Onlt 12 of these per weapon can be at the worlds and many smaller nations will not send fencers who have no chance of making a good showing. I believe it is called a "no compromise" approach and it could lead to the death of some sports if all countries follow the British approach and only send medal prospects to World and Olympic Championships.

I do however agree with Chris that foil has lost out with the timing changes. It loses out in that it has neither the simplicity of epee (in terms of understandability), nor the swash-buckling speed of sabre (in that even though it is unintelligible to the laymen it is fast and furious).

I had not read your comments when I wrote my post and have been out most of this afternoon and evening.

I think that womens foil but not necessarily men have struggled with timing and the weapon has lost it appeal.
Also the Vezzali and Trillini effect has been a definite negative in the same way as McIntosh and Strachan did
have on British Womens Foil. It discouraged women in the weapon to progress and stay in sport or make breakthrough.

Finance is also a factor. The recession since 2008 has impacted as I suggested many times in past. Sending
small teams is a consequence of lack of funding. Also I believe that the most democratic weapon is epee
reflected not only in size of entry but the number of countries who compete. I suspect standards at the top
are just as strong as in other weapons, but there is also a much longer tail and that encourages weaker fencers to compete. Mens sabre is dominated by East/Central European Axis and major fencing nations.
I am not sure what is happening in mens foil, but it is surprising that entry is now smaller than sabre.

munkey
-6th August 2013, 23:10
Agreed

Unfortunately the only real "surprises" in the DE were Keith and Marcus' bouts!!!

Don't be fooled by Jovanovic's current ranking. He'd made L8 at the Europeans and won a senior A grade. He's no mug!

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-7th August 2013, 00:11
Don't be fooled by Jovanovic's current ranking. He'd made L8 at the Europeans and won a senior A grade. He's no mug!

Also won one of the Euro qualifier places for 2012 - beat Glonek iirc

Having watched Toldo close up at London 2012 he seemed to have no clear style or particularly challenging moves. I definitely thought Mepstead should beat him given his form at the Euro's.

TomA
-7th August 2013, 01:18
Also won one of the Euro qualifier places for 2012 - beat Glonek iirc

Having watched Toldo close up at London 2012 he seemed to have no clear style or particularly challenging moves. I definitely thought Mepstead should beat him given his form at the Euro's.Someone took an injury break during Marcus' poule fight vs Gomez. If it was Marcus himself then the answer may be that he was injured/cramping.

Coupe du Nord
-7th August 2013, 09:39
Shepherd out to Golubtski (GER) 7-1.

Gav
-7th August 2013, 10:25
Shepherd out to Golubtski (GER) 7-1.

7-1... after time? Erk...

Gav
-7th August 2013, 10:29
I see the streams are active now. Including one showing all four pistes!

I'm confused by the commentary. It seems to be the same audio feed no matter which piste you're looking at...

hokers
-7th August 2013, 11:56
I'm confused by the commentary.

Just wait until they start the sabre!

hokers
-7th August 2013, 12:49
Soji out 15-6 to the world #1.

Was 5-4 up, got a decision reversed and that was pretty much it. Classic from the commentary team not noticing that the fight wasn't over and missing the last few hits.

hokers
-7th August 2013, 13:32
Oh def Honeybone 15-9

Not shown on video feed and score updates not working for me the whole fight.

coach carson
-7th August 2013, 13:35
Oh def Honeybone 15-9

Likewise. Enguarde system looks stuck but the table of 64 being updated.

JohnL
-7th August 2013, 13:35
Oh def Honeybone 15-9

The scoring froze when JHB was down 10-8.

Loked like James got off to a flying start, the Korean came back and they traded until about 8/9 hits and then he ran away at the end. Oh's WR is 26. Not easy.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th August 2013, 15:31
No GB fencers to cheer on tomorrow but then James and Richard on Friday.

Good luck to them both.

Gav
-7th August 2013, 16:21
I just watched Reshetnikov vs Hartung in L8. No one is going to tell me that was an interesting match.

RIchardn
-7th August 2013, 16:24
No GB fencers to cheer on tomorrow but then James and Richard on Friday.

Good luck to them both.

I think we have Piers Gilliver, Simon Wilson, Dimitri Coutya and Gabi Down all fencing in the Wheelchair fencing tomorrow. Goll luck to them all.

Gav
-7th August 2013, 16:28
Pity Szatmari didn't get through I would've liked to see 2 Hungarians in the L4.

munkey
-7th August 2013, 17:13
I just watched Reshetnikov vs Hartung in L8. No one is going to tell me that was an interesting match.

Some of the sabreurs might. They like a good argument ;-)

ChrisL
-7th August 2013, 17:19
Finals on Eurosport right now (Sky channel 410). I'm liking the commentary so far, Simon Golding speaking well and Claire Bennett providing some nice colour commentary. Definitely great coverage for the sport

pigeonmeister
-7th August 2013, 18:03
It looks like Errigo has brought in Cerioni's dad as coach.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th August 2013, 18:13
Interesting that all the medal winners tonight will be European and indeed the top 8 of each weapon was too.

Only the big fencing nations in the top 8 of each weapon and sabre top 8 dominated by Eastern Europe.

checkmate91
-8th August 2013, 07:59
Only the big fencing nations in the top 8 of each weapon and sabre top 8 dominated by Eastern Europe.
Dominated but not quite closed out, Enrico Berre is Italian and I'm sure I watched him fence at the Camden international cadet only 2 or 3 years ago!

Gav
-8th August 2013, 08:59
I'm checking in on Heinzer v Nyisztor at the moment. I see Heinzer's currently down 10-7 going into the 3rd period! erk.

Gav
-8th August 2013, 09:06
Oh. Good fight. Looked like Nyisztor changed his approach in the 3rd and let Max back in again. Mistake.

Gav
-8th August 2013, 09:19
Minobe knocked out Piasecki and I am watching Minobe against Sukhov... Wonder what happened with Piasecki. Minobe doesn't look all that great (comparatively).

Edit: Actually I take that back. Not exciting but effective.

Double Edit: Hard luck Minobe. Close one.

Triple Edit: Edited the thread title to better reflect the content of the thread.

Miacat
-8th August 2013, 11:33
I think we have Piers Gilliver, Simon Wilson, Dimitri Coutya and Gabi Down all fencing in the Wheelchair fencing tomorrow. Goll luck to them all.

I have started a new thread in the Wheelchair Fencing with results so far

Gav
-8th August 2013, 11:49
What a great morning's fencing. Some real upsets in 64 > 16. Limardo v Verwijlen has been my match of the day so far - it was great.

rake
-8th August 2013, 13:00
What a great morning's fencing. Some real upsets in 64 > 16. Limardo v Verwijlen has been my match of the day so far - it was great.
And in the women's so far, 8 matches in which the higher seed went through and 7 upsets. Oh épée ^_^

Gav
-8th August 2013, 13:01
And in the women's so far, 8 matches in which the higher seed went through and 7 upsets. Oh épée ^_^

Which is why Epee is so great!!

TomA
-8th August 2013, 13:13
Spautz who knocked Jack out went through Heinzer and made the last 8. Not bad!

munkey
-8th August 2013, 13:14
The YouTube live stream is brilliant. The commentary less so.

Gav
-8th August 2013, 13:22

Yeah I agree. And it's great seeing the spectators comments down the right side with only the occasional loon!

rake
-8th August 2013, 13:23
Which is why Epee is so great!!
Agreed :D There's almost a rock-paper-scissors of differing styles going on, to keep things nice and unpredictable

miraberis
-8th August 2013, 15:01

Lots of complaining on the comments thread when they decided to interview James Davis during the WE L64. Could have recorded it and saved it for one of the gaps like the Limardo and Verwijlen interviews.

It would be nice if they had something substantial to say about epee, or at least some general interest background on the fencers. But for me the annoying thing is the way David King summarises the what's going on around the hall. Without warning he'll come out with something like "they're in the priority minute................" (pause while he decides how to complete the thought) ".........on the green piste".

I'm willing to put up with it to watch the competition live, though. Brilliant to be able to do that!

Gav
-8th August 2013, 15:13
Lots of complaining on the comments thread when they decided to interview James Davis during the WE L64.

I agree that was a major faux pas and there were some serious grumbling. To put it mildly people felt they weren't getting what they tuned in for.

munkey
-8th August 2013, 18:03
Oof! Limardo all over Kauter in the first semi-final.

wingnutLP
-8th August 2013, 18:41
where are you watching this?

pigeonmeister
-8th August 2013, 18:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0HSDd1iw_8

It can be hard to navigate the FIE Youtube site.

wingnutLP
-8th August 2013, 19:01
got it not obvious though

takes you here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-bIyteFTo which has a clock

the real live stream is misnamed and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0HSDd1iw_8

Keith.A.Smith
-8th August 2013, 20:22
Happy Estonia tonight!

Good luck to Richard and James tomorrow.

wingnutLP
-9th August 2013, 08:46
RK pulled back from 14 11 to 14 all but unfortunately went out to MERTINE

Gav
-9th August 2013, 08:52
Oh what. I just tuned in to try and catch that as well. :(

Gav
-9th August 2013, 08:59
Davis currently on the green piste. Go to youtube now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF60Gsw4IGo

cesh_fencing
-9th August 2013, 09:04
James's opponent Tan looks tiny. I know James is tall, but it looks like a senior fencer against an Under 11...

Gav
-9th August 2013, 09:05
Check out the height difference between Davis and Tan! Tan looks like a kid in comparison!

cesh_fencing
-9th August 2013, 09:15
Easy win..

Ronald Velden
-9th August 2013, 11:17
Overall our individual results at these World Championships have been very disappointing with only one last 32
and 4 last 64 performances.

The only positives to come out of these Championships so far are that Honeybone and Aiyenuro [a junior this
season] made it to second day despite being unfunded athletes.

I would suggest that there needs to be an urgent review of how our elite programme is operating at moment
and perhaps less emphasis on just one weapon.

J_D
-9th August 2013, 11:18
Didn't see that post coming....:whistle:

pigeonmeister
-9th August 2013, 11:18
Davis out 15-11 in the L32. Why do GBR always underperform at the worlds?

That said, Baldini and Joppich also out.

4 Americans in the L16.

hokers
-9th August 2013, 11:19
Davis out 15-11

Let's hope the team event goes better than the individuals have.

pigeonmeister
-9th August 2013, 11:22
Bizarre travel-documentary interlude from Bashir. If only he was as well informed in his commentary ;)

cesh_fencing
-9th August 2013, 11:22
Davis out 15-11 in the L32. Why do GBR always underperform at the worlds?

Maybe they are peaking for the Euros rather than the worlds?

The MF seem to be able to perform amazingly earlier in the season, but when it comes to Worlds/Olympics it just does not seem to happen..

Hopefully it will be a different story in the team as Individual results have been a bit disappointing..

pigeonmeister
-9th August 2013, 11:30
Maybe they are peaking for the Euros rather than the worlds?

The MF seem to be able to perform amazingly earlier in the season, but when it comes to Worlds/Olympics it just does not seem to happen..

Hopefully it will be a different story in the team as Individual results have been a bit disappointing..

It is strange as it's rarely non-European fencers who knock them out. I don't think we've had a MF go beyond the L16 (if that) in the last 10 years? Maybe quite a lot longer. Last good result I remember was Beevers beating Jopppich for a L16 maybe 6-7 years ago. Good news I suppose is that it means they are never defending big points.

I expect a better showing in the team.

Lynne
-9th August 2013, 11:47
I have a feeling that missing their target like this is not a good thing. They were looking for at least 1 x L16 in the individual & a top 10 in the team, I think.

Gav
-9th August 2013, 11:50
It is strange as it's rarely non-European fencers who knock them out. I don't think we've had a MF go beyond the L16 (if that) in the last 10 years? Maybe quite a lot longer. Last good result I remember was Beevers beating Jopppich for a L16 maybe 6-7 years ago. Good news I suppose is that it means they are never defending big points.

I expect a better showing in the team.

Which tournament did Kruse get his L8 in? I can't remember.

Fencer91
-9th August 2013, 11:53
Lol Aspromonte looked like he was about to have a punch up

cesh_fencing
-9th August 2013, 11:59

I am guessing you are hinting at Athens 2004 Olympics, however this was well before the current set-up when things were done fully the Ziemak way without much interference..

With the results are WC and Europeans since then, surely something is not quite right if those results have not been re-produced in the last 9 years with the funding situation as it is for MF..

Ronald Velden
-9th August 2013, 11:59

Richard got last 8 in Athens Olympics. I don't believe that he has made Final Tableau at World Championships.

pigeonmeister
-9th August 2013, 12:00

Kruse got a L8 in 2003. Best since then has been L16 in 2007, 2009.
Beevers got a L16 in 2005.

http://www.fie.ch/download/en%20bref/fr/seniors%20ind/fms.pdf

Gav
-9th August 2013, 12:06
Cheers guys. 2004 was a long time ago - no wonder I couldn't remember!

Ronald Velden
-9th August 2013, 12:08
One British born fencer Chamley-Watson has made final tableau albeit representing US.

pigeonmeister
-9th August 2013, 12:10
Cheers guys. 2004 was a long time ago - no wonder I couldn't remember!

Even longer! Havana 2003 was the last and only time Kruse (or any GBR fencer) reached L8 in the worlds.

Fencer91
-9th August 2013, 12:16
Does Anyone know what happened in the Hertsyk Imboden fight that was supposed to take place on the blue piste....but didnt and yet Hertsyk won?

AJ91
-9th August 2013, 12:19
Does Anyone know what happened in the Hertsyk Imboden fight that was supposed to take place on the blue piste....but didnt and yet Hertsyk won?

I'm pretty sure I saw the beginning of that, sure it wasn't just really fast?

Last 8 makes interesting reading today.

CHEUNG Siu Lun from HKG may have been 3rd at the Asian Champs but hasn't made it past the L64 otherwise, way to step it up at the right times! Maybe a lesson to learn about peaking from Hong Kong

Rudd
-9th August 2013, 12:31
Last 8 makes interesting reading today.

Good showing by Sheng Lei especially as he missed the first half of the season.

Jacdaw
-9th August 2013, 12:36
Nice to see Chamley-Watson is korean...

Gav
-9th August 2013, 12:49
And Hertsyk beats Cassara!

Keith.A.Smith
-9th August 2013, 12:50
The MF team made top 8 at worlds in 2009( losing by one hit to Russia)and 2010.( without an injured Richard)

Richard top 8 in 2003 and 2004 then top 16 in 2008 and 2009.
James Beevers made top 16 in 2005.

Louise Bond-Williams made top 8 in 2002 and top 16 in 2004.

In the same period we had European medals in 2006, 2008, 2009(2), 2010(2) and in 2013(2)

I hope the teams can pull something out of the bag, but the team events are notoriously tough.

I believe we do have some very good raw talent and a good coach in Ziemek, but he needs supporting and further experienced international coaching being brought to UK and also experienced management based on success in international fencing or a proven track record of producing top success at international sport.

I had hoped the new Talent Pathway funding could have been used to bring in a top coach.

This will all take funding and good organisation. I hope UKS will have faith and continue to fully fund till Rio.

Gav
-9th August 2013, 13:06
Bachmann has been a complete idiot! What a way to throw away a medal. Unbelievable! If Karim and King are to be believed the German coach had to be restrained.

And people say Fencing is boring!

JohnL
-9th August 2013, 13:06
Overall our individual results at these World Championships have been very disappointing with only one last 32
and 4 last 64 performances.

The only positives to come out of these Championships so far are that Honeybone and Aiyenuro [a junior this
season] made it to second day despite being unfunded athletes.

I would suggest that there needs to be an urgent review of how our elite programme is operating at moment
and perhaps less emphasis on just one weapon.

Hey Ron

You seem almost delighted that the MFists didn't get good results just to allow you to divert the support to your favorite topic.

How about you divert your attention for the next few days to supporting the GB fencing team (all weapons and both genders)

Rudd
-9th August 2013, 13:08
Bachmann has been a complete idiot! What a way to throw away a medal. Unbelievable! If Karim and King are to be believed the German coach had to be restrained.

More details please. :) No streamind video for me until later.

cesh_fencing
-9th August 2013, 13:08
How about you divert your attention for the next few days to supporting the GB fencing team (all weapons and both genders)

Thought we only had MF & MS teams. Have we any women's teams entered?

Gav
-9th August 2013, 13:13
More details please. :) No streamind video for me until later.

Bachmann leading by 6 points. Already on a yellow. Chamley Watson calls for arm judges. Bachmann loses 2 points to red cards. Cham-Wats pulls it back to 14-14... Bachmann scores... But wait the Asseseur's hand is up because Bachmann ducked! Victory to Miles!

Awesome.

Apparently the German coach had to be restrained after throwing his water bottle!

Rudd
-9th August 2013, 13:18
Bachmann leading by 6 points. Already on a yellow. Chamley Watson calls for arm judges. Bachmann loses 2 points to red cards. Cham-Wats pulls it back to 14-14... Bachmann scores... But wait the Asseseur's hand is up because Bachmann ducked! Victory to Miles!

Awesome.

Apparently the German coach had to be restrained after throwing his water bottle!

Thanks Gav. We should have you doing commentary.

Gav
-9th August 2013, 13:20
Thanks Gav. We should have you doing commentary.

Heh. No comment. I'd have more to say about Epee that's for sure.

Ronald Velden
-9th August 2013, 13:20
Hey Ron

You seem almost delighted that the MFists didn't get good results just to allow you to divert the support to your favorite topic.

No I am not. I am very disappointed that Richard and James did not progress further. For the record Richard
works at our club and I have known him for a long time since he first started fencing so this is not directed at fencers.

However, there have been decisions made this year which affect the future of the sport and whatever you may
think they need to be reavaluated.

pigeonmeister
-9th August 2013, 13:21
Lot's of great bouts going to 14-14. The consistently despicable Aspromonte was very lucky to get through 15-14 against Massialas after sustained hissie fits and am-drams. He got 3 red cards and the referee spent over 5 minutes reviewing his winning hit. Aspromonte then roared in the American's direction.

Gav
-9th August 2013, 13:24
Lot's of great bouts going to 14-14. The consistently despicable Aspromonte was very lucky to get through 15-14 against Massialas after sustained hissie fits and am-drams. He got 3 red cards and the referee spent over 5 minutes reviewing his winning hit. Aspromonte then roared in the American's direction.

And again, people say fencing is boring!

JohnL
-9th August 2013, 13:38
Thought we only had MF & MS teams. Have we any women's teams entered?

That wasn't the point.

If there was a hamster event fencing with toothpicks I would support them and try to twist every thread to my own agenda.

JohnL
-9th August 2013, 13:40
And again, people say fencing is boring!

Out of the 4 American fencers, Miles is probably the least expected one to get through to the L4.

Keith.A.Smith
-9th August 2013, 13:41

What did he do?

Gav
-9th August 2013, 14:37
What did he do?

Keith, I posted a very brief summary about 2 posts down from that one.

cesh_fencing
-9th August 2013, 14:43
That wasn't the point..

Sorry. Thought we may have got one entered on the quiet..

Steven-m
-9th August 2013, 14:44
Hey Ron

You seem to be the only one diverting attention. I am sure RV does support the whole team.

Good luck to GBR MS AND MF in their team events.

Ronald Velden
-9th August 2013, 15:11
You seem to be the only one diverting attention. I am sure RV does support the whole team.

Good luck to GBR MS AND MF in their team events.

Of course I do we have two fencers competing in their first World Championships and two coaches Richard and
Gabriella also doing so.

As I have said previously I am disappointed for both Richard and James that they did not do as well as both
expected.

coach carson
-9th August 2013, 16:13
Hey Ron

I didn't read that as directed at the fencers. It's the overall BF strategy RV is throwing rocks at. As we are putting all our resources into one weapon, "for the longer term benefit of the sport as a whole", we need a significant return on that investment at World Champs and at the next Olympics.

Ronald Velden
-9th August 2013, 16:20
I didn't read that as directed at the fencers. It's the overall BF strategy RV is throwing rocks at. As we are putting all our resources into one weapon, "for the longer term benefit of the sport as a whole", we need a significant return on that investment at World Champs and at the next Olympics.

Not as long as that. The BFA's contract with UK Sport is subject to review within next two to three months. They
are on probation at moment.

JohnL
-9th August 2013, 18:25
And aspromonte loses in the Semi !!!!

And the crowd cheered!!!!!!
:nanananan

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-9th August 2013, 18:49
And aspromonte loses in the Semi !!!!

And the crowd cheered!!!!!!
:nanananan

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!

Exgeordielass
-9th August 2013, 19:59
Not a big fan of foil, sorry folks, but that was an amazing men's final. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :cool:

JohnL
-9th August 2013, 20:04
Not a big fan of foil, sorry folks, but that was an amazing men's final. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :cool:

And an American MF World Champion !!!

Well done.

And 15-6 (if what's on the website is correct) is a dumping

Rudd
-9th August 2013, 20:16
And an American MF World Champion !!!

Well done.

And 15-6 (if what's on the website is correct) is a dumping

It was,he dominated form the start. Well done Miles.

munkey
-9th August 2013, 20:38
Wow! I think you could have given me 20 guesses at the start of the day and I wouldn't have mentioned Miles C-W as a potential winner.

munkey
-9th August 2013, 20:45
Thankfully Kharlan restores some order to my world by winning the ED.

JohnL
-9th August 2013, 20:47
Wow! I think you could have given me 20 guesses at the start of the day and I wouldn't have mentioned Miles C-W as a potential winner.

An interesting discussion for the americans now.

Before going into the WC, their probable starting 3 for the Team Event would have been Imboden, Massialas, and Meinhardt, with CW as #4.

Do they;

Stick with that plan (if that's what it was)

Put CW in to start as he's the current world champion and is obviously on form.

If he is put in, is he emotionally spent from today's success (I've seen that before)

miraberis
-9th August 2013, 20:54

According to the rest of the American MF team Chamley-Watson missed their interview with Karim because he had opted for an early night before the poules. Score 1 for the sensible approach... even if Chamley-Watson isn't the person you'd expect to be flying that particular flag!

JohnL
-9th August 2013, 21:52
According to the rest of the American MF team Chamley-Watson missed their interview with Karim because he had opted for an early night before the poules. Score 1 for the sensible approach... even if Chamley-Watson isn't the person you'd expect to be flying that particular flag!

But the MFT poules aren't tomorrow. They're the day after, aren't they.

munkey
-9th August 2013, 22:10
But the MFT poules aren't tomorrow. They're the day after, aren't they.

I'm guessing the interview was recorded on Monday night then. Meinhart, Massialas and Imboden all had byes into the L64. The early night and half a dozen poule fights seem to have worked a treat and I'm sure that missing the interview with Bashir was worth it.

munkey
-9th August 2013, 22:17
And GBR may face USA in last 8 of MFT. Maybe Bashir can arrange an interview with the entire US team the night before, preferably in a raucous downtown Budapest strip joint at about 2 a.m!

J4G
-10th August 2013, 01:55
One British born fencer Chamley-Watson has made final tableau albeit representing US.

Only British born. And besides a little pride (or want of?) does it really mean a lot? He was trained in the states...there's nothing to say that if he was trained over here there would have been a similar outcome!

Coupe du Nord
-10th August 2013, 09:28
GBR Men Team Sabre beat IRAN 45-44

Now fencing Russia 12-5 down.

Coupe du Nord
-10th August 2013, 09:52
Lost to RUS 45-29, now fence Canada in 9 to 16

Gav
-10th August 2013, 10:00
Daft question folks. I missed the MF finals last night (damn the festival!) I don't suppose anyone has heard when the footage is going to be made available on Youtube? At present the video doesn't work.

Ronald Velden
-10th August 2013, 11:36
Britain lose narrowly 45-43 to Canada in 9-16 match. Curtis brought them back into match by beating Beaudry
10-4 going into last leg 40-39 up.

Coupe du Nord
-10th August 2013, 12:09
Thats a blow, I expected them to beat Canada.

Coupe du Nord
-10th August 2013, 12:12
Now fence Hong Kong in 13-16 places

Jacdaw
-10th August 2013, 12:20
Daft question folks. I missed the MF finals last night (damn the festival!) I don't suppose anyone has heard when the footage is going to be made available on Youtube? At present the video doesn't work.

It was on eurosport so if you have eurosport on you tv you may be able to get in On Demand.

Steven-m
-10th August 2013, 12:21
Thats a blow, I expected them to beat Canada.

Canada are ranked higher than them. still a very young and inexperienced team. But great for future MS.

Ronald Velden
-10th August 2013, 12:29
Britain have beaten Hong Kong 45-32 so will finish either 13th or 14th.

Ronald Velden
-10th August 2013, 12:31
Sorry this was score showing, but may be incorrect. They may not have started.

Gav
-10th August 2013, 12:53
It was on eurosport so if you have eurosport on you tv you may be able to get in On Demand.

I don't. :/

Ronald Velden
-10th August 2013, 13:10
We won 45-44. Were winning by 10 hits at start of third series but Hong Kong came back strongly.

Coupe du Nord
-10th August 2013, 13:11
GBR beat Hong Kong 45-44, now fence Poland for 13th place.

Red
-10th August 2013, 13:22
Important match to win as this should now keep GBR above HKG in the world ranking. That should make the world cup events next season slightly less tough than they have been this season.

hokers
-10th August 2013, 14:46
Looks like GBR lost 41-45 to Poland, finishing 14th in the end.

HelenC
-10th August 2013, 17:11
Ignore this - clicked wrong link

Jon Willis
-10th August 2013, 19:06
Who are the only team to have beated the Italian Ladies Foil Team this season?

France or Korea?

Jon Willis
-10th August 2013, 19:14

France or Korea?

Turns out it was Korea...

munkey
-10th August 2013, 19:18

France or Korea?Korea beat them 45-44 at Shanghai World Cup.

TBennett
-11th August 2013, 12:40
Love Men's Epee... 4 of the top 16 teams knocked out in the L32 and only 4 of the top 8 teams in the World in the last 8...World No's 1+2 out as well. Carve up.

Pere fleuret
-11th August 2013, 13:58
Can't help but notice that none of the countries who didn't enter a team are doing very well.

Keith.A.Smith
-11th August 2013, 15:31
In the MF team GB has Kuwait in the 32 and then probably Korea in the 16 and if that match is won, it is likely to be Italy in the top 8. (there are 26 teams participating).

Good luck to our GB team tomorrow. The Euopeans showed they have the talent. Go for it.

coach carson
-11th August 2013, 16:59
Can't help but notice that none of the countries who didn't enter a team are doing very well.

Miacat
-12th August 2013, 08:39
GB beat Kuwait 45-15 :)

Jacdaw
-12th August 2013, 10:52
GB win 45-36 against korea

Francophile
-12th August 2013, 10:57
That's a good win. The Koreans have a strong team.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 10:58
GB win 45-36 against korea

Which I think it pretty good. Pity we didn't get to see it. Apparently they're up next v Italy so let's hope we get to see that.

Trojan
-12th August 2013, 11:09
That victory against Korea is a very good win indeed.

Korea were a tough draw as they carried no points from the Olympics, having missed out, and their fencers did very well in the individual at these WC's.

Well done to the team and good luck for the Last 8 and beyond.

tigger
-12th August 2013, 11:13
Very proud of the MS boys on Saturday - a very talented young team.

James saved our lives against both Iran and Hong Kong, with incredible composure at 44-all in both matches.
Curtis put in a phenomenal leg against Beaudry in the Canada match to bring us back in contention.
Alex put in an equally huge leg in his last fight in the Poland match to give us a chance of victory.
Soji was solid throughout the day until a guard clash aggravated an already injured thumb joint.

As the scorelines show (and other matches earlier this season too), the MS team is now very close to the standard of all but the top 2 or 3 teams. Just a few small improvements and I believe we'll be pushing for L8s and better next season.

Good luck to the foil boys today.

hokers
-12th August 2013, 11:47
Just a few small improvements and I believe we'll be pushing for L8s and better next season.

Only if they can afford to compete while unfunded.

Good results though, shows great promise for the future.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 11:51
The Russian WST nearly went out to Korea there. Came down to a close call at 44 all.

pigeonmeister
-12th August 2013, 12:08
GBR vs Italy on live stream now. 1-0 GBR!

kopt22
-12th August 2013, 12:15
Could you post a link, I can't seem to find the stream?

ED_R
-12th August 2013, 12:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFRwYEL_e0Q

pinkelephant
-12th August 2013, 12:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFRwYEL_e0Q

Gav
-12th August 2013, 13:08
I see the lads got a kicked out by Italy there. It was close but they collapsed in the middle section. I felt there was a lack of ambition in a couple of the fights. But having said that Richard played a blinder v Cassara in the 8th leg to brig it back to 5 at one point. Davis was destroyed by Baldini though. Ouch.

purple
-12th August 2013, 13:11
And out to Italy. 45-33.

purple
-12th August 2013, 13:12
But having said that Richard played a blinder v Cassara in the 8th leg

Absolutely. That was strong and promising.

Davis was destroyed by Baldini though. Ouch.

Davis unfortunately looked like he didn't even get going in the last bout, although I'm sure he gave it everything he's got.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 13:19
Davis unfortunately looked like he didn't even get going in the last bout, although I'm sure he gave it everything he's got.

I agree. I think it's common to look at a large deficit and think "limited time plus this... jeez" and so his focus narrowed a bit too much to "must score points". It would explain the rushing in the first few points. Another promising but not quite right performance by the team.

pigeonmeister
-12th August 2013, 13:22
I think the damage was done by Marcus' first two fights- after which he was on a -9 indicator. You just can't chase a 10-12 hit defecit against Italy. Marcus was really bullied by Cassara- at one point the Italian even drove him off the back marker. Possibly a case for trying Cook but MM showed some character in winning his 3rd fight. Kruse strong throughout but Baldini was extremely calm under fire and issued Davis with a master class in poise, distance and footwork. L8 a good result in the end, though.

pigeonmeister
-12th August 2013, 13:27
David and KB should really think VERY hard about rationing their use of numbers. I mean: scores, times, world rankings, bout number, hits to win. We don't need to be repeatedly told information that is in front of us. David, I love you dearly, but please!

Gav
-12th August 2013, 13:29
I think the damage was done by Marcus' first two fights- after which he was on a -9 indicator. You just can't chase a 10-12 hit defecit against Italy. Marcus was really bullied by Cassara- at one point the Italian even drove him off the back marker. Possibly a case for trying Cook but MM showed some character in winning his 3rd fight. Kruse strong throughout but Baldini was extremely calm under fire and issued Davis with a master class in poise, distance and footwork. L8 a good result in the end, though.

I agree. I was sat there thinking that the team needed to try something different. If Marcus was shedding that many points pull him off. It's not doing the team any good and for him it's not pleasant either.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 13:30
I caught the end of the Fra v Ger match. Le Pechoux's hit to win was oustanding! And good to see France actually get somewhere.

JohnL
-12th August 2013, 14:09
Storming 3rd leg from RK against Ukraine.

Come on Guys!

Keith.A.Smith
-12th August 2013, 14:23
Great to see GB back in top 8. Last there in 2009 and 2010.

Must be an important result for UKS too.

Good luck in the 5-8 matches. In 2009 the team was 6th and in 2010 7th without Richard.

5th today would do very nicely!

JohnL
-12th August 2013, 14:27
Going a bit pear shaped in the middle.
Looks like KC's subbed in.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 14:31
Holy crap. Has anyone else been watching the French team collapse against the USA? Jeez!

JohnL
-12th August 2013, 14:36
Holy crap. Has anyone else been watching the French team collapse against the USA? Jeez!

I'll confess that I don't actually enjoy watching the americans fencing. But they do seem to have a number of youngsters who can hit the opponent and they have no fear of the big occasion!

Gav
-12th August 2013, 14:40
I'll confess that I don't actually enjoy watching the americans fencing. But they do seem to have a number of youngsters who can hit the opponent and they have no fear of the big occasion!

No this wasn't about the US team hitting their opponent, this was about the French team completely collapsing. They couldn't string hits together, they couldn't get their act in gear. They suddenly looked nervous and sullen. Weird.

JohnL
-12th August 2013, 14:44
GB lose 45-39 to Ukraine

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-12th August 2013, 14:47
GB lose 45-39 to Ukraine
Davis 1-10 in his two closing matches v Italy and Ukraine. Last one disappointing as it looked like Kruse had brought him right back in with a chance.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-12th August 2013, 14:48
No this wasn't about the US team hitting their opponent, this was about the French team completely collapsing. They couldn't string hits together, they couldn't get their act in gear. They suddenly looked nervous and sullen. Weird.
French collapsed v USA in Olympics too - also a 11 or 12 point turnaround in one bout

Keith.A.Smith
-12th August 2013, 14:52
Now China for 7th place. Not an easy match, but it can be won.

Good luck.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 15:03
French collapsed v USA in Olympics too - also a 11 or 12 point turnaround in one bout

Well remembered.

The ITA v RUS match is slow...

hokers
-12th August 2013, 15:13
David and KB should really think VERY hard about rationing their use of numbers. I mean: scores, times, world rankings, bout number, hits to win. We don't need to be repeatedly told information that is in front of us. David, I love you dearly, but please!

Seriously, I had to turn it off. Foil should be their best weapon, I really want to hear them explain each hit and give us an idea about the stylistic matchup between the two fencers and what they are doing to change the bout as it goes on.

But we just get the score and the time 200 times per hour.

Rudd
-12th August 2013, 15:35
Well remembered.

The ITA v RUS match is slow...
Looks like the final round was very close but Baldini pulled it off.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 15:46
Looks like the final round was very close but Baldini pulled it off.

Yeah, brilliant final hit from Baldinia.

Rudd
-12th August 2013, 15:54
Yeah, brilliant final hit from Baldinia.
I'll be watching that tonight.

pigeonmeister
-12th August 2013, 16:00
GBR lost to China 45-36 in the 7th playoff.

cesh_fencing
-12th August 2013, 16:18
GBR lost to China 45-36 in the 7th playoff.

GBR Started as 8th ranked in the world and finished 8th. Good to have beaten Korea (9th in world), however losing to Ukraine who are ranked 12 in the world is probably a bit disappointing for the Performance Manager.

JohnL
-12th August 2013, 16:25
GBR Started as 8th ranked in the world and finished 8th. Good to have beaten Korea (9th in world), however losing to Ukraine who are ranked 12 in the world is probably a bit disappointing for the Performance Manager.

To be honest, I don't give a flying fig about the Performance Manager. I do feel for the guys though.

Once you've been knocked out of the main competition for the big prize, it's always difficult to regain the focus that's needed to compete hard for the lesser places. With Ukraine, given their ranking of 12, they were most probably on a high no matter where they finished from 5-8 so it's a different mind set for them.

As a "Team" we still suffer from having two genuine world class performers and then adding in from a selection of guys who aren't at that level. It then only takes one of either RK/JD to have a bad match and the team has a difficult task, especially when they are looking to break into the first four places.

cesh_fencing
-12th August 2013, 16:33
To be honest, I don't give a flying fig about the Performance Manager. I do feel for the guys though.

Agreed the fencers will be disappointed and I am sure that it will make them look at everything that is happening in the sport and look at how their future is planned going forward.

However with the way things are structured now with the 'all eggs in one basket' situation, is the PD who has to present this championships as a step forward in the development of the elite level of British Fencing to the funding authorities.

Gav
-12th August 2013, 16:58
Great to see France take the bronze from Russia. Looked a bit wobbly but got there in the end.

pigeonmeister
-12th August 2013, 17:11
As a "Team" we still suffer from having two genuine world class performers and then adding in from a selection of guys who aren't at that level. It then only takes one of either RK/JD to have a bad match and the team has a difficult task, especially when they are looking to break into the first four places.

It was a shame as Marcus fenced as well as anyone at the Europeans and looked more than comfortable at that level. JD didn't appear to perform at world class level in several of these matches- he will find that fencers are more prepared for him than when he broke through.

But did we really expect them to beat Italy? Particularly when Cassara and Baldini didn't get near the medals in the individuals and had no intention of going home empty handed. The Ukraine match was a bit of a side-show after this.

The bigger concern is our appalling record in the individuals.

JohnL
-12th August 2013, 17:19
It was a shame as Marcus fenced as well as anyone at the Europeans and looked more than comfortable at that level. JD didn't appear to perform at world class level in several of these matches- he will find that fencers are more prepared for him than when he broke through.

But did we really expect them to beat Italy? Particularly when Cassara and Baldini didn't get near the medals in the individuals and had no intention of going home empty handed. The Ukraine match was a bit of a side-show after this.

On Marcus, I tend to agree. I believe (and have stated on the forum) that I viewed his progress this year as significant and his performance in the European's was very good. No I didn't expect them to beat Italy. Would have liked to seen the match a bit closer, but it's always going to be hard.

The MF (Team) have to keep getting results to move them up in the top 8 in the world rankings. Getting Italy in the L8 every time you fence is going to be a tall order!!

Gav
-12th August 2013, 19:08
Well done Italy. The door felt like it opened a little* right at the end... and then Baldini slammed it shut.

*but only a teeny amount. It wasn't really in doubt at all.

JohnL
-12th August 2013, 19:09
Well done Italy. The door felt like it opened a little* right at the end... and then Baldini slammed it shut.

*but only a teeny amount. It wasn't really in doubt at all.

I don't think the door opened.

It was just a dumping!!

Not quite a Vet
-12th August 2013, 20:01
Sorry Jon having to mute you on Eurosport as the Ukranian screaming is getting to me!!! Argh.