PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Sabres

Moose
-9th May 2003, 05:48
With the trend now towards lightweight guards and handles i've found difficulty finding a weapon where the centre of gravity is as close to the hilt as would be liked.

I have found that my LP weapon with its Paul-France blade to be very top heavy, partly due to the relatively small forte, however I enjoy the regidity of the blade that is lacking in some of the others I have tried. Therefore I am considering reworking the hilt to increase the weight and thus lower the C.o.G.

Also, does anyone know the legality of making a dent in the top of the sabre guard to allow the thumb to be extended along the top of the handle without forcing the hand away from the guard (in essense: to bring the hand closer to the C.o.G.). I've noticed this featured in one of the cavalry sabres that I own and wondered about incorporating it into my fencing weapon.

Goblin
-9th May 2003, 13:28
mu advice would be to set the blade slightly forwards and slightly inwards (ie left for a right hander) and also if you want balance use either a allstar gold blade or a PBT sabre blade.

randomsabreur
-9th May 2003, 18:08
Try an allstar rubber pommel. These are much heavier than the LP pommel and bring the weight down further so the balance is nearer the hand

stevejackson
-9th May 2003, 19:32
Originally posted by Moose

Also, does anyone know the legality of making a dent in the top of the sabre guard to allow the thumb to be extended along the top of the handle without forcing the hand away from the guard (in essense: to bring the hand closer to the C.o.G.). I've noticed this featured in one of the cavalry sabres that I own and wondered about incorporating it into my fencing weapon.

Hmm, without seeing this, it's difficult to be sure but 2 points occur to me from the rule book.
"m24 The guard must be full in shape made in one piece and externally smooth. It must have a convex form which is continuous without rim or holes."

There is also a maximum length of 17 cm from the front of the guard to the end of the pommel.

I suspect that any bulge on the front of the guard would infringe either one or both of these.

Incidently the length rule might also stop anyone using pommel and handle from different manufacturers. However the chance of being caught (in UK) is pretty slim unless you do A grades. Though if Barry Paul's suggestion about doing blade stiffness tests at the nationals comes off watch out. The tests for length are likely to be done as well as they add no effort to the weapon control.

srb
-9th May 2003, 20:48
Its sabre - you can't expect the weapon to be any less unbalanced than the fencer.

Moose
-10th May 2003, 06:29
Well I've attached a pic of what I was intending, would be a shame if its illegal cos I think it would make a nice improvement.

As for the Allstar blades, I have to say I much prefer the balance these give, tried a team mate's out at the weekend, however the balance is gained at a loss of rigidity, which is something I'm none too keen on.

I may look into the Allstar pommel however, cos it sounds like it may make a difference, even if only a small one.

oiuyt
-12th May 2003, 17:48
Would probably result in needing to rework your handle as well. This is a solution VERY unlikely to be successful and worth the effort required to make it even marginally workable IMO.

-B :)

Moose
-12th May 2003, 18:26
Well, twas only a pipedream :)