PDA

View Full Version : Competition Discussions for Epee

sblatchley
-9th May 2003, 09:08
As a relative beginner I have several questions about competitions. I'm sure there's others out there like me (who want to compete) but are a little unsure of certain aspects. That's the purpose of this thread.

So here I go...

1. Do I need a 1600N mask and 800N breeches to enter UK competitions?

2. What is a Class A competition?

3. Does one need two blades and two wires and if so what quality should the blades be?

4. Can someone like me enter the Miller Hallett?

kingkenny
-9th May 2003, 09:24
1. Do I need a 1600N mask and 800N breeches to enter UK competitions?
Only for international and a- grade comps otherwise 350N is fine

2. What is a Class A competition?
A competition with international fencers, points are given for your finishing place. The point earned enable you to go to the olympics or give you a better world ranking.

3. Does one need two blades and two wires and if so what quality should the blades be?

You should have 2 weopans and one wire and the standard blades are fine unless its an a-grade and then it has to be Maraging(a steel with no carbon in so it is alot stronger last 3 times as long if made correctly)

4. Can someone like me enter the Miller Hallett?
I think so you would have to look but it should have a link in the calander section of the site.

Comps are what fencing is all about they give you a chance to test yourself against new fencers and it a good day out if I were you i would go to one and give it a go.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :transport

wingnutLP
-9th May 2003, 10:04
Very comprehensive Kenny.

Keep up the good work, you are saving me a lot of time!:drink:

sblatchley
-9th May 2003, 10:23
Thanks KingKenny - very helpful.

One other question then;

How do I know when it's a Class A competition?

Hudson
-9th May 2003, 10:30
Lots of big scarry people with their names on the back of their jackets and for the the brits go faster stripes down thier sides.

sblatchley
-9th May 2003, 10:40
Ahh! Hudson raises another point...

Do I have to have a name on my back?

If so, then what country do I declare - I'm American, but my home has been here for 20 years?

If I have to say USA won't this exclude from a lot of local competitions? (I am a member of the BFA)

I warned you I had some questions!!!

Hudson
-9th May 2003, 10:45
For opens having your name and country is not required, some people have it as it intimidate othere, some as the've fenced in comps that require it or like me you've spent over 600 on new kit so for an extra 20 you might as well get it.

Boo Boo
-9th May 2003, 10:53
Are you a US citizen or a UK citizen?

A-grades are international level competitions (think "World Cup" or "Grand Prix").

In general people in the UK only have their name printed on their back if they do "A-grades" ("Class A") competitions - because the FIE (international fencing federation) requires that they do for those competitions.

Fencers need to be in the top 20 of the senior rankings (I assume, you are a senior - since you have been in the UK for 20 years) to do an A-grade in another country. Men's Epee, however, has an A-grade in this country: so the rules are slightly different - I believe that the top 28 in the senior rankings who wish to fence qualify.

In general people who don't do A-grades, don't get their name printed on their back in this country. Its not unheard of for someone who doesn't compete at an international level to get their name printed, although its not very common.

Hope this helps (and doesn't confuse further!).

Boo

sblatchley
-9th May 2003, 11:06
I am a US Citizen

Boo Boo
-9th May 2003, 11:12
Then, if you decide to print you name on your jacket, I would go for "USA" if I were you. Although there may be a way - through residency - to qualify for fencing for the UK: somebody else must know something about that...?

However, unless you do some US competitions (in the US, they require you to print your name - but not necessarily your country code - on your back for national competitions) or you qualify for A-grades (you would need to look at www.usfencing.org for information on that - since you would qualify for the US and not the UK), I wouldn't bother.

However, having your name on your jacket does mean that other people are less likely to walk off with it by mistake ;)

Boo

Mischa
-9th May 2003, 11:25
Remember you can't fence for another country for three years after you last represent your 'own' country.

On the plus side, if the USA can't send a full contingent of fencers to a local A Grade (eg Eden Cup) then it's very likely that they'll let you compete, even though you haven't qualified.

aao
-9th May 2003, 12:06
unfortunately the US have a tendancy to send nearly a full contingent of fencers to Epee A-grades so you might have to qualify. Now to really confuse you, by all means go for your name on your back with USA on it but if you want to compete at internationals you will also have to get the US fencing logo printed on your jacket and breeches (basically the US version of the UK go faster stripes) otherwise you will be yellow carded an awful lot.

p.s. if you are going to have your name on your back especially with USA be warned it generally just encourages fencers to try even harder against you so that they can claim to have beaten a foreign international.

Mischa
-9th May 2003, 12:40
Lol, yeh.

I thought they changed it so that if a fencer does not have his name displayed on his back, along with the correct three letter country code, and / or is not wearing his country's official colours they would receive an authmatic red card?

sblatchley
-9th May 2003, 12:42
Thanks for all your comments. In view of everything I would still say I would still like to fence as GBR. I've made my home in London for over two decades and have no intention of going back to the US (the beer's too good here!)

The only thing I have to do now is get good enough to compete. I'll just start with my name on the back.

mango
-20th May 2003, 04:41
Hello everyone. I am just dropping by to say hi to you. I like leon paul blades and I fence epee! I like your avatars and smilies. they are wonderfully moving.

:party:

Rdb811
-20th May 2003, 21:41
Originally posted by sblatchley
Thanks for all your comments. In view of everything I would still say I would still like to fence as GBR. I've made my home in London for over two decades a

If you live n London, definately do the Miller Hallet - I'm trying to improve on my sucession of second lasts - the tea and cakes are very good.

sblatchley
-21st May 2003, 09:32
I would love to do Miller Hallett, but do I have to have the following?

1600N mask
Name on the back of my jacket
Special blades
800N breeches

Let me know thanks

Gav
-21st May 2003, 09:48
Originally posted by Hudson
Lots of big scarry people with their names on the back of their jackets and for the the brits go faster stripes down thier sides.

"scarry"

LOL - excellent typo!

Hopefully I'll be at Miller Hallett this year. Depends on Accomodation and cost of travel. If only I could get my clubmates to commit....

Hudson
-21st May 2003, 10:27
Originally posted by sblatchley
I would love to do Miller Hallett, but do I have to have the following?

1600N mask
Name on the back of my jacket
Special blades
800N breeches

Let me know thanks

You don't need them, normal kit is fine. All you do need to do is make sure you post off your entry on time as it's held at Henlow Police college and they need to know your coming for security reasons.

Rdb811
-21st May 2003, 20:56
Make sure you have a spare weapon and body wire and that the weapon will pass the weight gauge test - your club armourer will be able to help.

Moose
-24th May 2003, 22:43
Lol, topic changing in pigeon English :grin:

sblatchley
-27th May 2003, 08:52
Someone has told me that the Miller Hallett date has been changed. When is it now?

Gav
-27th May 2003, 09:03
It' on the calendar as being 28th of June. If I can get accommodation sorted I'll ve there.

Rdb811
-27th May 2003, 15:36
It changed some time ago - it is Saturday 28th June.

Sasori
-29th May 2003, 11:05
Originally posted by Gav
If only I could get my clubmates to commit....

Commit what?

...on second thoughts, I don't think I want to know!:moon:

frazzled
-2nd June 2003, 11:34
Just to add to your discussion regarding names on the back of fencing jackets.

Don't forget Pentathletes have their names on the back of their jackets (my son is one)

mango
-6th June 2003, 03:38
Good luck to all and to all good luck. Keep writing in this thread and let us know how you're doing with your epee.

What is everyone favorite epee move?

Chris Morgan
-22nd June 2003, 15:30
My favourite epee move is a lunge-remise followed by a fleche, it also seems to help beating the blade be4 you fleche too. Its difficult to move your back leg to your front for the fleche but if your 4-2 4-3 up and need a double itll shock your opponent and most likely score you a double. (especially if your the taller fencer)

PM1
-22nd June 2003, 22:00
...and I hope you've all got your entry forms in for the Miller Hallet for next weekend?? Just baked the trial batch of carrot cake and savoury muffins (espec for you veggies) and they are yummy. Much more to come, including marble cake and choccie and who knows what else from loads of different sources. All profits go towards training weekends for <17 and <20 epeeists. Come and enjoy!!! Oh, and good fencing too ....see you there ;) ;)

Rdb811
-22nd June 2003, 22:23
The cakes are very good indeed.:)

PM1
-22nd June 2003, 22:35
...and just so's you know whether to do pack up or not, we're doing jacket spuds and bacon sarnies and toasties and pasties and sos rolls (both including veggie) and ornery sarnies and quiches etc etc. We'll look after the insides if you'll do the fencing...;) ;) I'm looking forward to it......not been down before, but Kate and Pete will surely do a brill job in running it;) ;)