PDA

View Full Version : Who's Who at the Olympics

foiledagain
-12th April 2004, 21:03
I'm fairly new to fencing, so I'm not up on who the major players are in the sport. So tell me, who do you figure has a good chance? Provided I can watch it (see post "on tv") which countries, or which fencers, should I watch for?

I'd also like to say here that Canada will even be sending some people this year. We have a women's epee team going to Greece headed by the extremely talented Sherraine Mackay.

Robert
-13th April 2004, 08:19
Originally posted by foiledagain
I'd also like to say here that Canada will even be sending some people this year. We have a women's epee team going to Greece headed by the extremely talented Sherraine Mackay.

Unfortunately there is a good chance that Britain won't be sending anybody.

As no teams have qualified and (correct me if I'm wrong) none of our fencers are high enough ranked to get in that way. So to get in they need to come 1st or 2nd in the Zonal European Qualifier for their weapon - no mean feat.

The three who might seem to have a chance are: James Williams (saw him practice last week, and that really is something to see) in M Sabre, Richard Kruse M Foil, and Louise Bond-Williams W Sabre. I am sure if one of them gets through someone on the forum will make a lot of noise about it.

Robert

vil
-13th April 2004, 09:38
Is there actually going to be a WS event this time? I may be getting confused, but I think I remember hearing that the IOC had removed one or two of the events from the Olympic programme and that WS was one of them. Or maybe that was just for the team events...? If anyone actually knows anything about this, please correct me!

rpryer
-13th April 2004, 09:58
There are individual events for all 6 weapons. To keep the total number of medals the same, two team events were randomly sleected to be dropped. I think that these were MS and WF.

TCadman
-13th April 2004, 10:10
Originally posted by rpryer
There are individual events for all 6 weapons. To keep the total number of medals the same, two team events were randomly sleected to be dropped. I think that these were MS and WF.

There are six individual events as stated but the two team events to be dropped/not included are Women's Sabre and Women's Foil. For these events there are 3 spots up for grabs at the European Zonal event next weekend, in the events with team competitions there are only 2 spots.

The team events, to the best of my recollection, that were dropped were decided on at the Lisbon World Championships in 2002. It was decided that the 2 team events with the fewest entries would be excluded from Athens.

Check out the FIE website for a list of teams and individual fencers already qualified.

vil
-13th April 2004, 10:28
Thanks for the info. It's good to know that all the individual events have been kept.