PDA

View Full Version : New LP foil tip. Post your review here.

sparkymark567
-15th April 2004, 12:56
Now that the new LP foil tip has been around for a couple of months I just wondered how people were getting on with them??

I was given a pre-release example, but found the point action to be quite rough, +couldn't fit it on my BF blade and so I havn't tried it out yet. I've also heard similar things from other people, that the point action is rough.

However, yesterday I saw a new LP foil tip which had very smooth surfaces and seem to work very well, A++++ :) (similar quality to the german points).

What do people think of them in comparison to the german tips?

Yes, german tips can get dented (don't want to bring that up again). I just want to know if people have found them as smooth as the german tips? as the new LP foil tips seem to have got better recently.

Also, the new hardened grub scews?? have they solved the problem of the foil point becoming sticky.

sparkymark567
-17th April 2004, 00:25
Don't all rush at once. I guess that not many people have tried the new foil tips.

wingnutLP
-19th April 2004, 09:05
To stimulate discussion I have attached a review we recieved during pre release testing

"Hello again. I have a bit more to report about the new tips that we have been testing, other than saying they are great. Over the last month or so we have been having a slight problem with some of the older ones registering intermittent off targets. At best if they are slapped sideways against the floor it clears up and at worst we have to take them apart for cleaning, but I think it is more a case of them being very well used and the tolerances opening up to allow more dirt and grit in than any real problem with the design.

Of more concern is that the three oldest ones have had a problem with the points themselves in that the metal sleeve has separated and moves down the tip shaft so that it becomes stuck. As the barrels and screws are in great shape I have just replaced the tip . These have been used hard for about 6 months now and the three failed within about a month of each other so at least on the batch that I have it seems that this is the effective life of the tip although the barrel is fine. I would not consider it a major flaw however as six months is more than I usually get out of a German tip.

The last batch of springs that you sent cleared up the problems with failing springs I had earlier. I must have just gotten a bad batch, or maybe I got some French springs mixed in. The new tips still wear out springs a little faster than a German (in my experience) but my theory on that is that since the travel is so much smoother the springs take a harder impact reducing their life and in my opinion it is a small price to pay for being able to reuse my barrels and screws.

Anyway my point (no pun intended) is that I think the new tips you have had me testing are the best I have ever tried and I would hate to not have access to them now the my supply of spare parts is almost gone. If you could let me know if you plan to continue production or if not then if you have any spares laying about you would be willing to sell off please let me know."

The point has been fitted to all LP maraging blades for some time now so many people are probably using them without realising!

gbm
-25th April 2004, 12:14
Mine's been pretty good to me so far, nice smooth action once you've worn it in.

J_D
-26th April 2004, 10:30
I've had problems with the tip sticking and giving me continous off target lights, but a strip down and clean out seems to clear the problem.

J_D
-24th May 2004, 22:05
as a quick update, I've got two of these damned things, one of which hasn't lasted more than a few fights befoer giving trouble, I had it thoroughly looked over at the IoW, used it for one figt at the club after getting back before it started giving problems again. The other tip usually manages a couple of weeks in between cleanings. Verdict: very unimpressed!

gbm
-24th May 2004, 22:13
Mine has just broken down, actually...

srb
-25th May 2004, 12:31
I rewired mine with an Uhlmann point after two weeks.

srb

gbm
-25th May 2004, 14:06
Any reason why?

uk_45
-25th May 2004, 14:15
I do like sabre for the reaon there so little electricly to go wrong!

Dalby
-25th May 2004, 16:58
I've been using them on my two maraging foils for the last couple of months and haven't had any problems with them at all.

srb
-27th May 2004, 09:58
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Any reason why?

As although arguably the Uhlmann spring takes more pressure to depress the point (yes I know they are both designed to 500g - but in reality?), the actual action is smoother. Using the LP point I was suddenly not getting hits I would normally.

Also I like to have all my foils set up the same. I always have 4 working foils. I currently have 3 BF blades, and 1 old (1986) emergency LP blade. They are all set exactly the same and have Uhlmann points.

Although you do have to regularly remove the dints from Uhlmann points, I think their action is better so I use them.

srb

sparkymark567
-27th May 2004, 10:26
srb: what happened to your GB pro, I thought you were just beginning to like it. or have you broken that one already.

young foil fencer at Swindon (srb knows who I mean) has the LP foil tips and they seem to work for him.

On the otherhand JD wasn't joking about his foils, none of which were working on Tuesday. Maybe he just has bad luck.

gbm
-27th May 2004, 10:31
I find it's a good idea to simply replace the springs and grub screws every now and again to keep everything working. Also fixes 80% of foil problems (Warning - exaggeration)

J_D
-27th May 2004, 10:35
Originally posted by sparkymark567

On the otherhand JD wasn't joking about his foils, none of which were working on Tuesday. Maybe he just has bad luck.

Turned out that I had a broken bodywire too, one of those days when everything goes wrong! But my only working foil turned out to be the one with the old tip though that needs the insulating collar replacing too, time to head for the workshop I think!

gbm
-27th May 2004, 10:41
Always handy things to have spares of - except that the new LP point does not have an insulating collar (it is built in)...

gbm
-27th May 2004, 10:45
Originally posted by J_D
as a quick update, I've got two of these damned things, one of which hasn't lasted more than a few fights befoer giving trouble, I had it thoroughly looked over at the IoW, used it for one figt at the club after getting back before it started giving problems again. The other tip usually manages a couple of weeks in between cleanings. Verdict: very unimpressed!

If your points have insulating collars than can be replaced, and are such that the plastic slides on metal instead of metal on metal, then you DO NOT HAVE the new LP point, but instead have their cheapest point or a French point (I think).

sparkymark567
-27th May 2004, 10:53
JD is using the new foil tip, but has some old ones aswell (I think).

J_D
-27th May 2004, 11:02
I tend to take 3 weapons along all LP maraging blades, 1 with the old type tip on it, 2 with the new one. I bought one at the H&W, this is the most troublesome and one through our club coach which usually requires regular cleaning.

J_D
-28th May 2004, 10:10
Following my equipment failure evening on Tuesday I spent some time on maintainence last night, this is what I found:

Bodywire: broken wires, shortened to remove broken section.

Foil with old type tip: the raised ring on the tip which shorts to ground on the grub screws was getting bend back causing excess travel, insulating collor had cracked. Tip changed, collar replaced, barrel cleaned, new grub screws .

Foil with new tip [the more reliable one] disassembled tip, cleaned the raised ring on the tip with wire wool, replace grub screws and spring.

Foil with new tip [the trouble some one]: this was a real problem as it was showing correct operation when not depressed, ie short to the barrel, the bayonet to tip connection showed a low resistance path ie good. On depressing the tip there was still a short to the barrel. replace all components (screws, spring, tip) did not resolve the problem. On further investigation I could see that the brass crimp on the end of the wire was at an angle in the cup, while the cup itself was slightly folded over. Using a screwdriver I was able to reseat the crimp and reshape the cup. With a new spring and grub screws I got correct operation although the resistance were high. Cleaning the raised ring on the tip (what it the proper name for that?) I was able to get the resistance down to below 3 Ohms.

Hopefully that should solve the trouplesome tip problem I've been having. I expect that the tips will still need regular cleaning, there appears to be a build up of dirt/grease or something similar at this point (pardon the pun) and some brisk work with wire wool brings it back in line. [Point in line....does the puns get worse?]

Investigating a couple of other weapons with the new tip that I was looking after showed a similar build up of dirt so they got the wire wool treatment too.

srb
-28th May 2004, 11:54
Originally posted by sparkymark567
srb: what happened to your GB pro, I thought you were just beginning to like it. or have you broken that one already.

young foil fencer at Swindon (srb knows who I mean) has the LP foil tips and they seem to work for him.

1. Well sparky, you know full well that I break as many blades as you do!!!

Yes I did like the GB pro blade, but I broke it at the Excalibur. I replaced it with a BF blade. Saying that I would happily use GB pro blades again, but the logistics of picking out my own blades is much easier if I buy BF blades. I have 3 Cartel BF blades at the moment, and I'm happy with all of them.

2. I agree, he flicks me over the shoulder and right down the bottom of my back without any trouble. I suppose it could have been that when I was using the LP point, it was on the new GB pro blade, and the blade wasn't as lively as an older one.

Its as much as trying to have all my foils reacting all exactly the same way as possible. The same set, the same bend, the same grips* etc, so hopefully the same hits.

* I might experiment with my grip following one of your previous postings.

ANYWAY - shouldn't you be REVISING

srb:grin: