PDA

View Full Version : Fast twitch muscles.

Barry Paul
-24th January 2014, 19:48
People with fast twitch muscles react quicker than others. So you should expect many footballers to have such attributes. When tested almost no top footballer in the top clubs have fast twitch muscles. The reason turns out is they cannot train as hard and as intensively as normal athletes, when made to train at the same intensity as others in there formative years they keep suffer from muscle failure/injury and never make the top.

Do top world class fencers have/need fast twitch muscles? Does any one have any information?

pjgh
-24th January 2014, 22:55
I'll ask a pal of mine - he's a lean gains weight lifter who I know has spoken about "fast twitch". I'll ask what exactly he means and what he sees as the benefit.

As for fencing, I wonder if its one of those things that really matters for folks way beyond my skill, experience and expertise who like to get in close and win on what appears to be instinctual flight. Older folks hang back.

Rudd
-25th January 2014, 11:50
People with fast twitch muscles react quicker than others.

Muscle fibre type is only one of many contributors to reaction time and probably not at the most significant one

When tested almost no top footballer in the top clubs have fast twitch muscles.

Every one has fast twitch muscles fibres in various proportions. The proportion of fibre types also varies between different muscles. The arms generally have more fast twitch fibres than the legs and calves have a very high percentage of slow twitch fibres. The average football player will cover 12km at various paces during a game so they need to train multiple energy systems. Someone who has a predominantly high proportion of fast twitch fibre would be more suited to pure speed or power sports e.g. weight lifting or sprinting. This is a good primer (http://www.brianmac.co.uk/muscle.htm) on the subject.

The reason turns out is they cannot train as hard and as intensively as normal athletes, when made to train at the same intensity as others in there formative years they keep suffer from muscle failure/injury and never make the top.

What do you mean by a normal athlete? Fibre type is genetically predetermined. With the appropriate training fibre types will start to act more like fast or slow fibre type. However you are not going to turn someone whose muscles contain mainly slow twitch fibres (elite marathon runner) into someone who has predominately fast (elite shot putter).

Do top world class fencers have/need fast twitch muscles? Does any one have any information?

I'm sure biopsy have been perfumed, but I can find a paper at the moment. Fencing like the racquet sports seems to suit athletes with a mix of fibre type distribution.