PDA

View Full Version : which kit????

Demonic
-16th April 2004, 16:55
Im looking into buying a another pair of breeches and jacket and have narrowed it down to 5 possible companies based on value for money and general quality.
In the past ive owned LP,soudet and allstar/uhlmann kits out of which my favourte was the soudet however ive been looking at the duellist kits too recently as well as Prieur...
Anyway as you can see i have yet to make up my mind :confused:

also anyone know much bout this new adidas kit part from the stoopidly high price and go faster stripes :tongue:

jamesthornton
-16th April 2004, 17:10
buying the new adidas kit would be a bit of a waste of money as rene roch has just banned it.

Demonic
-16th April 2004, 17:19
Does anyone know why it was banned ? was it the go faster stripes hehe :tongue: !!
Also with it being band does this mean they are gonna sell off all the kits really cheap :)

Barry Paul
-16th April 2004, 17:40
The kit does not comply with the F.I.E. regulations and hence BFA rules on the size of manufacturers logo. The three stripes are an Adidas Trade mark, breaking the maximum size rule by about 500%.

The stripes are legal if they are coloured and are being passed off and acepted as a country stripe.

So that would be a red card as soon as you appear on the piste in Adidas kit at the next British Championships?

Demonic
-16th April 2004, 17:49
ok so all i have to do is move to a country with a totally black flag :tongue:

uk_45
-16th April 2004, 18:09
or one that goes black white black white black, And say you kit has 5 stripes

Rdb811
-17th April 2004, 00:07
Cornwall ?

or Brittany.

uk_45
-17th April 2004, 08:24
Is cornwall now a country?

Barry Paul
-17th April 2004, 09:23
The country stripe is one of the more stupid F.I.E. requirements. Any country can submit any design for approval. The design in most cases is not recognisable as being country specific. Except say the U.K. stripe which looks like Union Jack.

As the point of the country stripes was to help spectators know what country the individual fencer was from the whole excersise is pointless.

I have asked for the official list of country stripes but it seems the F.I.E. don't have a central listing which they can make available. So how do referees know if fencers are correctly dressed?

Barry Paul

Barry Paul
-17th April 2004, 09:27
Before answering the poll you might want to check out the news section on our site which explains why Leon Paul kit is the best. http://www.leonpaul.com/news/big_news_story/comparison.htm

Barry Paul

uk_45
-17th April 2004, 09:45
Heres One reason for LP electric sabres, allsat and most others have no padding which can result in one sore thumb.

Demonic
-17th April 2004, 15:31
Personally in my views i dont see the problem with larger advertisement on kits.To be honest maybe it would even help promote our sport even further giving more media publicity.Ok so the 3 stripes is adidas's logo but does it really matter that much? and also how come after releasing the kit for sale they now decide that it is not with regulation boundries and ban it , what about all those poor people that wnet out and got this kit are they gonna be refunded NO!!!

Tarmac
-17th April 2004, 15:45
you could always be tempted to buy some PBT kit - always found it a good quality and reasonable price...
i'd heard that the adidas kit is just normal kit with the extra stripes and inflated price... no point buying it at all.

uk_45
-17th April 2004, 15:57
Yeah when it came out i heard it was just allstar with stripes and extra zero on the price

Tarmac
-17th April 2004, 16:03
snap!
i've only ever seen one kit (at birmingham - you know who you are!)
still.. it'd be good to see some townies walking around in adidas fencing kit!:tongue: insteasd of all that other sports kit they wear and don't actually use cos they're too busy eating...
but i digress...

uk_45
-17th April 2004, 16:06
Yeah n would cost the same as those plastic trousers they wear!

Demonic
-17th April 2004, 16:34
i agree with the point made about the as it does just seem like a allstar made kit and due to 'adidas' stripes the price is raised by another 100 which in my opinion too is a waste of money..
I think we all know the poor soul thats gonna have to buy a new kit :(

nirvana
-17th April 2004, 17:08
Originally posted by Tarmac
snap!
i've only ever seen one kit (at birmingham - you know who you are!)

but i digress...

Have seen plenty. I can think of four names off the top of my head.

Juicy
-17th April 2004, 20:19
you could always be tempted to buy some PBT kit - always found it a good quality and reasonable price...

PBT breeches are wicked...They make you look good *and* you can lunge in them :cool:

PM1
-17th April 2004, 22:16
LP all the way.....:grin:

uk_45
-18th April 2004, 11:32
Have to say I'm with PM1 on this one!

Tarmac
-18th April 2004, 12:00
baaa... follow the herd! :silly:

uk_45
-18th April 2004, 12:02
Ok but maybe not as much on sabres at the moment as the duellist blue looks nice.

nirvana
-18th April 2004, 12:28

PBT kit is good price but I always found it fell apart really quickly and wasn't that good quality.

Demonic
-18th April 2004, 13:26
well as far as it goes at the moment ive been looking at the disadvantages and advantages of all the kits..
As far as cost goes the two cheapest are the LP FIE (sydney range) and The Duellist FIE kit,This is both based on discount i can get.
The Allstar (Startex) costs approx 50 more than these two.
As far as Prieur goes its about middle at 17 more,however i would have to order from france which is gonna cost more.
To be honest i dunno much bout PBT stuff as i,ve never really used or seen any and this was why i didnt include them in the vote.
question i have is what material is the LP sydney range kit made of?

oddball
-27th April 2004, 11:29
LP for all but mask.
Mask came from somewhere italian, dunno where but it's one helluva good mask.

oddball
-27th April 2004, 11:30
Addidas kit, I know one culprit. The guy who has to borrow sabre kit of others cos he hasn't got his own.

I rest my case.

gbm
-27th April 2004, 12:28
Leon Paul.
Firstly they don't have silly stripes or different material down the breeches, and secondly I think the double-stretch material (I've got double stretch 350N kit) looks better than the flappy material that some kit has. I think good fencing kit should just be smooth, unadvertised and somewhere between off-white and yellow.

uk_45
-27th April 2004, 14:57
Regarding Adidas breeches they can NOT be used in this country as the 3 stripes are a adidas trrade mark and there are somthing like 500 times the maximum size for adverts on kit.

Demonic
-27th April 2004, 16:12
that would include the jacket as well then as it has three stripes down both arms too..
I decided in the end to go for the LP 'sydney' kit which is being made for me :)

The problem i have with kits is my neck is too big and puts too much strain on the velcro so im getting extra big neck made on the jacket..
Many thanks for all advice given

ps i may have got some prices wrong doh!!!

Winwaloe
-30th April 2004, 10:36
Duellist is ahead of the game I think. My family have a range of kit, Allstar, LP, Ullman and Duellist and Duellist gets the vote here and at my clubs. Also some good special offer deals, check the link at www.duellist.com/pdfs/April04News.pdf

Winwaloe
-30th April 2004, 10:37
Know two people with Addidas kit, they don't seem to know if they should cry or laugh - seem to do both and have also returned it I believe -

gbm
-1st May 2004, 12:52
Originally posted by Winwaloe
Duellist is ahead of the game I think. My family have a range of kit, Allstar, LP, Ullman and Duellist and Duellist gets the vote here and at my clubs. Also some good special offer deals, check the link at www.duellist.com/pdfs/April04News.pdf

Would you say that the Duellist stuff is better, or just cheaper than LP stuff, and why?

PM1
-2nd May 2004, 12:57
...waring ...might need a bias check here......

uk_45
-2nd May 2004, 13:02
Well i am under the suspicion Winwaloe works for Duellist, his posts seem to echo what is written on there site, and his posts remind of goFences when he was trying to miss-use the site.

I must say i like SOME duellist kit, but i think the jackets are far to thin I'm sure they're just as strong but to thin for me.

nirvana
-2nd May 2004, 13:21
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Winwaloe
Duellist is ahead of the game I think. My family have a range of kit, Allstar, LP, Ullman and Duellist and Duellist gets the vote here and at my clubs. Also some good special offer deals, check the link at www.duellist.com/pdfs/April04News.pdf [/Q

According to the vote Duellist is not ahead of the game.

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 13:25
I don't think you need a lot of thickness to be strong, my 350N jacket is much thicker than a 800N Kevlar plastron, but I think it has to be thicker to be comfortable. Comparatively thicker, obviously, if you are too well-wrapped up you can get slightly too warm!

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 13:28
LP have a comparison of their breeches versus another manufacturers (who's?) on their site. I've read it, and even accepting the heavy bias, it is quite obviously that LP have put the time and effort into just thinking about their products, which is why they are able to make so many sensible points. And also why they cost more, but are probably well worth it...

uk_45
-2nd May 2004, 13:31
yeah a very light jacket just doesn't feel right. to heavy and you sweat to death

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 14:09
The LP sweat migration technology (?) should help though.

uk_45
-2nd May 2004, 14:12
Until you do electric sabre.

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 14:17
Why is it that fencing competitions are always too warm when in smaller halls because the sports centre staff turn down the aircon?
"Oh, it's only fencing, they won't get too warm".

uk_45
-2nd May 2004, 14:23
Note to self: Forum comp Aircon on!

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 14:26
Yes, very important. I've been to Welsh competitions where its started to get really warm and then somebody went off to ask to have turn the aircon turned up and it turned out it was off! (as you can imagine, it got very warm)

uk_45
-2nd May 2004, 14:33
Was that in the tiny room upstairs in the WIS?

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 15:46
Yep, as usual. Of the many Welsh competitions in the WIS, they are all in the Upper Hall except for the Welsh Open, which uses all three halls, and the odd competition like the Novice which tends to get put in the Jubilee hall. I find the more fencers likely to turn up, the less likely they are to put it in the Jubilee (which is considerably bigger)...

Aer
-2nd May 2004, 17:23
for fencing jacket and breeches I followed the advice of the guys at my club - allstar - but thats possibly due to the majority of them being continental.

for other equipment: allstar bodywire (the club's LP wires seem too flimsy :confused: )

need to get a new mask soon.

foil-wise i seem to mix and match: scrabbled together from LP plug/ allstar LH grip (Thanks SO much for insulating it for me [/sarcasm])/ goFence FIE BF blade.

as far as manufacturers are concerned:
LP have been kind enough to explain things when i rang them (once, London is too far away from where i live, but they were friendly enough, and not on the scottish fencing circuit :( :( :( )

Allstar are, imo, VERY curt and impersonal: at the competition this weekend i asked for a spare bag so my brand new 130 quid jacket didnt get covered in rust, and they got very confrontational and gave me a bag big enough for a child's glove!

goFence wins the students over on the money vote alone really: we're too poor to fork out 70quid for a BF blade when we can go to dollar and get one for 50-odd quid.

I've no experience with Duellist or the others except when newcastle uni came up to st andrews last yr in BUSA in duellist kit.

so ends my equipment comparison.

You may think its wierd that i continue to use allstar equipment considering what i think of the UK side of the operation. This is due to the monopoly they SEEMED to have in my club.

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 17:32
Originally posted by Aer
for fencing jacket and breeches I followed the advice of the guys at my club - allstar - but thats possibly due to the majority of them being continental.

for other equipment: allstar bodywire (the club's LP wires seem too flimsy :confused: )

Apparently thicker diameter wire doesn't actually hold up to the repeated bending as well.

need to get a new mask soon.

foil-wise i seem to mix and match: scrabbled together from LP plug/ allstar LH grip (Thanks SO much for insulating it for me [/sarcasm])/ goFence FIE BF blade.

as far as manufacturers are concerned:
LP have been kind enough to explain things when i rang them (once, London is too far away from where i live, but they were friendly enough, and not on the scottish fencing circuit :( :( :( )

Allstar are, imo, VERY curt and impersonal: at the competition this weekend i asked for a spare bag so my brand new 130 quid jacket didnt get covered in rust, and they got very confrontational and gave me a bag big enough for a child's glove!

goFence wins the students over on the money vote alone really: we're too poor to fork out 70quid for a BF blade when we can go to dollar and get one for 50-odd quid.

If you want a club sword, buy Paul Etoiles. Great swords for the price (~21 for the blade with point).

I've no experience with Duellist or the others except when newcastle uni came up to st andrews last yr in BUSA in duellist kit.

so ends my equipment comparison.

You may think its wierd that i continue to use allstar equipment considering what i think of the UK side of the operation. This is due to the monopoly they SEEMED to have in my club.

I think LP put more back into fencing, especially since they seem to be helping with the forum comp!

Aer
-2nd May 2004, 17:38
Originally posted by goodbadandme

Apparently thicker diameter wire doesn't actually hold up to the repeated bending as well.

If you want a club sword, buy Paul Etoiles. Great swords for the price (~21 for the blade with point).

I think LP put more back into fencing, especially since they seem to be helping with the forum comp!

oh definitely LP put more back: a great thing due to the smaller (than other sports) funding that fencing gets in the UK.

the bodywire thing is just personal preference. or me being paranoid.

the blade thing. All i know now is not to buy the entry level allstar blade (non fie) - i had 2 break in quick succession (when i was first buying kit...)

nirvana
-2nd May 2004, 19:12
I would only ever recomend etoiles for beginners. I thionk they aren't that great quality, but the you get what you pay for and they are good value. I also think LP r putting some thing back into fencing.

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 19:20
Didn't Barry recently say that the Paul Etoiles could pass the FIE 18,000 bending cycle test?
They are much much cheaper than buying a maraging, after all, so even if they only last for a year of more-intense-than-beginner fencing (i.e. more than 2 reasonably gentle club nights a week), it'll still take you three to four years to make the maraging worth it. If you do a lot of fencing compared to the average club fencer. then the maraging is definitely worth it, but for the majority of fencers in the UK the Etoile and France are good, reliable blades at a reasonable price.

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 19:34
Quoted from Barry Paul
Don't be so sure, recent experiments with surface treatment of our etoile blades, gave such an improved result that on testing with our official F.I.E. test rig it passed the 18,000 cycle test ie. we could get them F.I.E. approved. Barry Paul

nirvana
-2nd May 2004, 19:41
ye but, I meantt ehy have poor quality, not how long they last, the metal is soft and i find them whippy to bendy etc But thats just me, other people might love them.

gbm
-2nd May 2004, 19:57
I was just reading some of Barry's old posts on how blades fail. Apparently, blades where the gap between bending permanently and breaking points is larger last longer. The Etoile bends permanently easier, making them appear 'soft', but is still a long-lived blade.
I'm not sure they are designed for a specific 'purpose' like the Flickmaster and Golubitsky (designed for flicking and, well, not flicking respectively), but there's not really a great deal wrong with the quality IMHO.

uk_45
-2nd May 2004, 20:54
Hmm not a foil man but for sabre Etoiles are a good blade not heavy, nicley balanced mind like most sabre blades they aint round long!

Aer
-2nd May 2004, 23:12
what about FIE masks? I need to replace my mask soon and i may as well get an FIE one... should i stick with allstar or get a different make?

devalleassoc
-3rd May 2004, 02:54
Even though I'm an Allstar kind of guy, I highly recommend the LP mask with the Contour fit system. It has got to be the most comfortable mask I've ever worn!!:)

uk_45
-3rd May 2004, 08:49
I have a FIE Sabre mask (not X-Change) With contour fit and would advise it so any one!

Aer
-3rd May 2004, 11:36
i'll have a shufties and start price watching :)

Aer
-3rd May 2004, 11:47
LP FIE Mask :
Mask F.I.E. 1600 newton bib(Reference 280)
Price: 75.46 / $137.34
88.67 / $161.37 Including VAT at 17.5%

Allstar (UK) FIE Mask:
FIE Mask (CE Certified Level 2, 1600N)
allstar universal mask Inox (V4A ) (code AMI)
Price: 77.93
91.57 inc VAT

goFence.com FIE Mask:
Gajardoni FIE Mask (CE level 2)
without bib liner / with bib liner
80.00 / 86.00 (both inc VAT)

Duellist FIE Mask:
Prod No:628
"FIE 1600N Mask ""Competition"". Available in various coloured mesh
Retail: 91.99 (unsure about VAT, probably inclusive)

uk_45
-3rd May 2004, 17:59
I think the LP one is well worth it and pay 5 (i think) more for contour fit.

Demonic
-3rd May 2004, 18:16
Ive had my uhlmann FIE mask since 1994 and its still going strong however beginning to look more dirty and smells bad so i keep attacking it with fabric freashner spray :tongue:

Personally ive never had a LP mask part from the old ones i used to use from RFC when i started fencing,i,ve had a muskateer,soudet and then my uhlmann which personally i feel uhlmann/allstar are the best.

uk_45
-3rd May 2004, 18:24
I have never had a problem with any of my LP kit

Lets Big It Up For LP

gbm
-3rd May 2004, 18:48
LP stuff is (generally) great. :)

devalleassoc
-3rd May 2004, 18:54
LP!!!!!! LP!!!!!!:mexwave: :spin: :mexwave:

kingkenny
-4th May 2004, 10:09
:dancehome
Barry jumps for joy as he realises people actually read his posts!

gbm
-4th May 2004, 12:09
Now he can update the LP site with all the cool stuff that we've been talking about (FIE club boxes, new points, Golubitsky Grip and lightweight inside guard socket that we are still waiting for...)

devalleassoc
-4th May 2004, 14:13
C'mon Barry!!!!......BARRY!!...BARRY!!..BARRY!!:bite1: (We want more!!)

gbm
-4th May 2004, 14:19
Your fans need your constant attention, or they may start disbelieving in the absolute superiority of Leon Paul products!

devalleassoc
-4th May 2004, 14:27
Very true! Revolutions are easy to start, difficult to stop!!!:sam:

Barry Paul
-4th May 2004, 14:39
Hi Fans!!!!!!
All is well,
All Leon Paul Club apparatuses C620 and C605. are driven by a programmed chip and comply with F.I.E. regulations,

New points are now being put on all Maraging blades and shortly all other foil blades.

First off Golubitsky Grip has had to be modified so the mould has gone back to the foundry.

Lightweight inside guard socket are still work in progress.

New Sabre blade on it's way.

I having a weeks holiday on a Greek Island so no postings for at least a week. Barry

Winwaloe
-4th May 2004, 14:55
"...waring ...might need a bias check here"

Well if you took the bother to read my original post you would realise that I and other fencers in my family have a range of kit. As I look up I see Allstar, Ullman, LP and Duellist jackets and breeches (all 800N except one pair of breeches. This should suggest to those that think about it that I/we might have done a few comparisons and found that we prefer Duellist kit or perhaps that is a little too complicated! (actually I trained as a scientist and spent a few years of my working life as a quality control manager). My sons and I happen to think that the Duellist kit is well designed, comfortable to wear and it looks good. The technology seems fine, it washes well and it drys well ( I coach at a junior club and mums complain about the washability of LP kit) This should be an open forum and not just a vehicle of support for LP. If you happen to prefer LP or Ullman or Allstar or any other make then you go buy it, wear it and enjoy it. If you put up a posting saying that SamtheMan kit is best then I will accept that is what you believe and not immediately jump to the conclusion that you work for SamtheMan fencing Inc .co . international et al.
So I will continue to support Duellist because I like the kit and I like the service I get. I also find the shop easy to get to (straight blast up the motorway) and they have never let me down. If they did I would tell them and they know that! - I encourage my fencers to but Duellist kit but they but from all sorts of places. You pays your money: you takes your choice. Anybody have a problem with that?

devalleassoc
-4th May 2004, 15:05
HEY GUYS, ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THIS PERSON IS RANTING ON ABOUT!!! i THOUGHT WE WERE HAVING FUN!!!:sam:

gbm
-4th May 2004, 15:15
Page 3 of this thread.

PS Why do you prefer Duellist? Are there design features with Duellist kit that are superior or otherwise note-worthy? For example, LP uses angled three-pin plugs which are better than any other three-pin plugs because (except when the old ones break) they never wear out like straight three-pin plugs. In other words, can you justify preferring Duellist kit? I am genuinely interested in seeing what other manufacturers can do, I saw a spool design on a web site a while ago which had features which may have made it superior to the LP ones (having larger diameter springs for instance).

PM1
-4th May 2004, 15:28
No problem at all with people paying their money and making their choices - some of us have difficulty in "making our choices" : I will not willingly buy what I have not seen and talked about: I don't see much equipment around that is not LP, Allstar, Duellist or Negrini, in that order. I don't live in London and so can't easily visit the shops, and when I AM in London, I generally have no sone with me. I prefer to feel the kit rather than postage go out of my wallet, and having to wait for the possibility of having to send items back and wait again. I don't have that much money to spend if my son is also to attend training and competitions. I have carried out price comparisons. I buy what I see as good value and fit for purpose, and what fits the boy best. I do not buy all equipment from one manufacturer, and neither do either of the clubs we attend. One manufacturer's breeches fit differently to another; one manufacturer's epee blades are more flexible - it's horses for courses, you buy what suits you best.

My "bias" warning post was put on this thread because of a similar warning, but more detailed, posted on another thread by someone else (Gav, I think). I don't work for LP and neither is my son or club sponsored by LP: I have no axe to grind or market stall to set out for any manufacturer. There was a thread some considereable time ago when a vested interest was not disclosed initially, but was soon picked up.

Your comments have not been edited by any moderator so far as I can see, and that would be wrong if they were, and would possibly show an inappropriate LP bias, if only because they sponsor this forum.

I apologise if this or the earlier post appears to be patronising or if it might offend: I can read as well as anyone else, and make my own judgements. I will try not to insult anyone's intelligence - please try not to insult mine.

Passing on experiences is good and worthwhile, but bad experiences must be passed back to manufacturers, too.

You have found a manufacturer you like and trust for most of your equipment - great. We have too - perhaps my son is a different shape to yours, and this might be one of the reasons why Duelliest is (generally) not for us.

Having recently had to kit boy out again, I just hope I don't have to do it again soon.......:(

Winwaloe
-4th May 2004, 15:53
PM1 - Don't disagree. Often the choice of kit is quite subjective and what is right for one is not for the other etc. I think fit also probably comes into it although my sons are of different build. Sorry if I appeared a little terse but I objected to the inference that because I happened to prefer Duellist kit to Leon Paul then I must work for Duellist. (I actually prefer Allstar bags and I don't work for Allstar either!) - No offence taken and, I hope, none given. Delighted to know that someone has kept track of the plot as our LP fan from NYC seems to be having a problem keeping up. I note from his previous posts that he is a great LP fan, should I ask if he is the LP American agent I wonder? - Perhaps not!

PM1
-4th May 2004, 16:05
G'wan - I dare ya...!!

devalleassoc
-5th May 2004, 00:50
SSHhhhhhh!! Anything is possible!!:)

oddball
-6th May 2004, 11:20
anything?

devalleassoc
-6th May 2004, 12:15
Yeah baby!!........ANYTHING!!;)

gbm
-6th May 2004, 12:25
Madness.

devalleassoc
-6th May 2004, 12:30
Exactly!!:party:

The Equaliser
-6th May 2004, 14:38
By Poplar Demand.....:cool:

The Equaliser
-6th May 2004, 14:47
Originally posted by Barry Paul
Before answering the poll you might want to check out the news section on our site which explains why Leon Paul kit is the best. http://www.leonpaul.com/news/big_news_story/comparison.htm

Barry Paul

Now Now barry :o
Selective comparisons lead to fuzzy reviews...
To see what barry would like to keep hidden :eek:

Click here http://www.duellistusa.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?product=Gents_Knickers

Design Quality and Manufacture Duellist Clothing has no comparison.

gbm
-6th May 2004, 14:53
There's nothing there that LP clothing does not already have; however the LP/Allstar comparison does show how the LP clothing is made to much higher standards.

uk_45
-6th May 2004, 15:11
Forum Guide:

Do not use these forums for any commercial purpose - no solicitation of funds, no advertising, and no solicitation for goods or services other than sponsors of the site.

So as we can see the forum is not for advertising.

I have never seen the moderators complain about any members announcing new product etc from their company when it is clear that the member is working for the company.

My personal view is the i like all my LP kit and will go on using it.

Re: The Equaliser's post i would say this goes against the above.

I am NOT a moderator nor do i have any real connections to LP.

Tom

gbm
-6th May 2004, 15:18
I also have no connection to LP except as a happy customer.

gbm
-6th May 2004, 15:23
Also I've never heard of a tree demanding anything (no prizes to who works that out!)

The Equaliser
-6th May 2004, 15:37
There's nothing there that LP clothing does not already have; however the LP/Allstar comparison does show how the LP clothing is made to much higher standards.

Hi Andrew,
I have enjoyed your unbiased posts...

There are quite a few differences..
we would love to lay each pair side by side and let fencers see them... hey, thats an idea for the Duellist shop!
most noticeable to the naked eye on the forum will be that: one pair has velcro with its disidvantages... one has buttons that your old Grandad has on the front of his trousers with its disidvantages....
and one has the latest pressed metal waist clip fastner amongst other improvements..
Andrew if people are going to advertise and compare products on this forum then they need to do it fairly or not at all.

uk_45
-6th May 2004, 15:43
Ok velcro would seem a bad idea to me as it has a habbit of coming un-done. would be a bit of a :o moment.

Also the differences between plastic and metal aint that much.

Gav
-6th May 2004, 15:54
Originally posted by The Equaliser
Hi Andrew,
I have enjoyed your unbiased posts...

There are quite a few differences..
we would love to lay each pair side by side and let fencers see them... hey, thats an idea for the Duellist shop!
most noticeable to the naked eye on the forum will be that: one pair has velcro with its disidvantages... one has buttons that your old Grandad has on the front of his trousers with its disidvantages....
and one has the latest pressed metal waist clip fastner amongst other improvements..
Andrew if people are going to advertise and compare products on this forum then they need to do it fairly or not at all.

Hi,

I tried to PM you about your announcement however you have chosen to not receive PM's. I have removed it as it is against forum guidlines.

Anyway.

I have no problems, as a moderator, with different vendors discussing kit issues. But be aware that I will delete posts or threads which are blatant solicitation. LP have the right to post post a link to their competiton as this board is sponsored by them [see the guide and don't forget THEY set up this board].

And you have been honest about who you are - Thanks for that.

You and Barry can duke it out if you wish. However, don't be nasty to each other.

uk_45
-6th May 2004, 15:59
What a fair man he is!

Yeah all advertising costs and this forum must cost a pritty penny to host!

gbm
-6th May 2004, 16:04
I would agree that velcro can come undone, and this only leads to embarressment where breeches are concerned...
LP have pointed this out in their comparison, and they have made the informed decision to use buttons. Few other fencing manufacturers put that much thought into their kit.
And I have never adjusted any of the fittings on my clothings since I first bought them, so the LP stuff must be pretty good, since I've had my jacket for about 2-3 years and the plastic clip has never loosened (unless it has loosened at the same rate at which I have grown!).
Does Duellist kit feature double seams on everything? How are the breeches attached - on the inside or on the outside? Are the seams on the inside all closed over so they cannot rub? The old LP breeches used to be a bit tight, but the clothing range has recently been retailored so I assume they have been improved.

gbm
-6th May 2004, 16:07
And is there full protective material behind the zip?

PS if you cannot respond yes to any of these points, then your clothing must be awful, so don't think just responding to half proves your point.

PPS Do you have any good features unique to your clothing, which are a direct result of your own innovation?

gbm
-6th May 2004, 16:19
Also, as Cardiff University Fencing Club Armourer, I am considering (together with the ex-armourer who I am taking over from), buying the very cheap Duellist kit for the club, so I am not obsessively LP-oriented. I'd just be suprised if it was better than the more expensive LP stuff (which I would always get for personal kit).

The Equaliser
-6th May 2004, 16:37
I have no problems, as a moderator, with different vendors discussing kit issues. But be aware that I will delete posts or threads which are blatant solicitation. LP have the right to post post a link to their competiton as this board is sponsored by them [see the guide and don't forget THEY set up this board].
Hi Gav,
We are contacted repeatedly by UK fencers to answer some of the lopsided ;) posts on this forum, we have refrained until now.
I will read the guides that apply to this forum and if there is no advertising then we won't advertise. or better still we will only reply to a thread like for like?

And you have been honest about who you are - Thanks for that.

Not a problem Gav,
We hide nothing!
As a company Duellist does not go for taking cheap shots at anything or anyone, there is plenty of room and scope in Fencing for all the Fencing companies to pull together and promote Fencing in General, If we talk a little less and act a little more then we will get fencing out of the boots of cars and into the High street and beyond.

You and Barry can duke it out if you wish. However, don't be nasty to each other. [/B][/QUOTE]

We are never nasty, barry knows that, The little son of a gun:rambo:

Gav feel free to e-mail me @riposte254@hotmail.com
If you ever feel the need....

uk_45
-6th May 2004, 16:51
Yes i would agree that duellist produce a reasonable quality club kit, but not my cup of tea for personal kit (jacket to thin etc)

The Equaliser
-6th May 2004, 17:26
Also, as Cardiff University Fencing Club Armourer, I am considering (together with the ex-armourer who I am taking over from), buying the very cheap Duellist kit for the club, so I am not obsessively LP-oriented. I'd just be suprised if it was better than the more expensive LP stuff (which I would always get for personal kit).

Don't want to drag this out as there is work to do:(
In response to all the questions-
I can happily state yes to all your questions! In response to the unique questions feature- we have the only uniform in the world that has not only internal seams sewn over to stop discomfort and rubbing that can occur from other makes but every external seam is sewn over in a particular direction to the orientation of the uniform so the blade can not get caught in any of the seams making the uniform, without doubt, one of the safest uniforms around. And this is not only on the FIE range of clothing but also on every uniform we sell! That is why you don't see price an quality comparisons made against our clothing.

We have the best Uniforms in the World regardless of price... fact!..

BUT YOU ARE FORGIVEN AS YOU JUST DID NOT KNOW:)

The Equaliser
-6th May 2004, 17:49
Originally posted by uk_45
Yes i would agree that duellist produce a reasonable quality club kit, but not my cup of tea for personal kit (jacket to thin etc)

Hi UK,
Luv your pic by the way:band:

We don't only produce the best quality club kit! Fact!

But our FIE Uniform is quiet special too...
In the world championships in Nimes 2001 the uniform was good enough to be worn by Podzniakov(RUS), Tarantino(ITA), Gourdain (FRA) and Pillet(FRA) and was good enough the following National squads wore that uniform (France, Canada, Russia and Italy amongst others). I think this says more than a thousand words! And I will tell something else for free we have improved the uniform since 2001.
non too shabby.. eh!

But I don't blame you for not knowing, its our fault for not telling you..:)

we will make it up to you in the near future!
We are being called upon to make a bigger impact in the UK and push the Duellist Party:party:

uk_45
-6th May 2004, 18:20
Yeah well i must say this for duellist out of all the companies you where set up by the coolist most rocking and all round most talented bloke out of all of them. (sorry Mr Leon Paul but you just didnt sing, fly plains or present on radio 2).

Bruce got any thing to do with the company any more?

The Equaliser
-6th May 2004, 18:32
Originally posted by uk_45
Yeah well i must say this for duellist out of all the companies you where set up by the coolist most rocking and all round most talented bloke out of all of them. (sorry Mr Leon Paul but you just didnt sing, fly plains or present on radio 2).
Too True....

Bruce got any thing to do with the company any more?

Bruce has and he will be presenting the prizes in our next competition!:cool:

spoke to him the other day, he has not picked up a foil in 5 months..
trying to set up a charity fence as we speak with Bruce and a couple of celebs..
once its organised I will let you know where and when:jam:

uk_45
-6th May 2004, 20:43
I'll do it. I'm a celeb (on here at least) i've been trying to get to be able to be beaten by druce for years. Pleaasssssseeeeeeee