PDA

View Full Version : doping

Neo
-18th April 2004, 19:07
Section M1 of uksport's list of banned substances prohibits substances which "enhance the uptake, transport or delivery of oxygen" (and then goes on to list various things which include haemoglobin and various things that I don't have a clue what they are)

but does this include pure oxygen? (ie from a canister)

dunastor
-19th April 2004, 11:54
You want to fence with an O2 tank on your back?

Australian
-19th April 2004, 14:10
Originally posted by dunastor
You want to fence with an O2 tank on your back?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Tarmac
-19th April 2004, 14:18
there should be a stoned olympics...
anyone who can achieve anything after partaking in dodgy substances should be rewarded for their determination, courage and stamina - imagine it - congratulations... you managed to open the fridge door... you get a mars bar as a trophy!!! Its another gold for Great Britain...
a sorry reflection of the times...:tongue:

Neo
-19th April 2004, 16:12
lol. I just ordered 3 mini oxygen canisters.

Since pure oxygen gives u something like a refreshing boost (as our bodies are not used to totally pure oxygen) it might also be of use before a competition. I'm trying to establish if this is allowed.

I also figured it might be a good way to give up smoking - some people use gum, fruit, etc, why not oxygen? Instead of a nicotine buzz, have an oxygen buzz :P

Boo Boo
-19th April 2004, 16:37
Originally posted by Neo
I also figured it might be a good way to give up smoking - some people use gum, fruit, etc, why not oxygen? Instead of a nicotine buzz, have an oxygen buzz :P

Just don't smoke near the Oxygen canister... that would make you give up smoking very fast indeed :(

Neo
-19th April 2004, 16:46
I'm informed, however, that too much oxygen in your blood is also bad for you (resulting in the accelerated death of brain cells), but then given the likely lack of oxygen in my blood due to Nicotine, tar and carbon monoxide this might seem less of a problem in the instant case :P

Keith.A.Smith
-19th April 2004, 17:19
Dear All,

If you want serious advice on this topic contact Dr Clare Halsted the BFA Honaray Doctor.

Keith

uk_45
-19th April 2004, 17:31
On the UK sport site drug informtion Oxygen is not listed as controlled.

Neo
-19th April 2004, 17:58
yep but substances which enhance the bodies uptake of oxygen are, which *could* include pure oxygen intake.

gbm
-19th April 2004, 21:46
More importantly, are they going to test you for the presence of oxygen?
I wouldn't do it though, feels to much like cheating to me.

Neo
-19th April 2004, 22:29
oxygen would be present anyways, but when you got a blood test a high level of oxygen would be present, likely leading to a conclusion that you may have used something which enhances oxygen uptake into the blood

Neo
-20th April 2004, 12:23
Also I notice the Cole Cup says drug and alcohol testing will be carried out, but I can't find any info on uk sport re: prohibited amount. Different sports have different levels, but fencing isn't on there, any idea what the amount is? How long does alcohol stay in your blood? (I think its an hour per unit but not sure).

pinkelephant
-20th April 2004, 12:43
Alcohol is no longer banned for fencing.

Neo
-20th April 2004, 13:17
so we can get mashed and fence? :P

uk_45
-20th April 2004, 16:08
Hmm the question is more "Can you get mashed and then be able to fence" lol, You could ook for oure O2 in blood by looking for expanded bloodcells.

Neo
-20th April 2004, 16:10
Originally posted by uk_45
Hmm the question is more "Can you get mashed and then be able to fence" lol, You could ook for oure O2 in blood by looking for expanded bloodcells.

the blood would also be a very bright red :) (the more oxygen, the brighter the blood) might make for a good party trick :)

uk_45
-20th April 2004, 16:17
Yep but the main offical sign is enlarged red blood cells as the shade of blood varies from person to person

Tarmac
-20th April 2004, 22:03
nahhh... sounds all a bit too much like somthing michael jackson would do... remember he used to sleep in that oxygen chamber - wierd.
next thing you'd know you have a monkey called bubbles and a really bad voice/nose/hair/life/court case...

Neo
-20th April 2004, 23:37
Oh and I have it on authority that the body is incapable of ingesting too much oxygen - you would just breathe less, which would cause the carbon dioxide not to be exhaled