PDA

View Full Version : Yikes, the screws are small.

Aer
-20th April 2004, 12:29
due to lack ofworking foils, i just had to learn how a tip works. Armed with my website diagram and a really tiny optical screwdriver i loose the screws, which then disintergrate.

then theres the tips: french or german.

im sort of surprised that they don't have different threads on the screws to make it even more difficult to sort out.

*sigh*

Any1 got any good tips for me starting out in foil repair?

[Should this be in Armoury Gav?]

Gav
-20th April 2004, 12:32
Yes, this should be in the armoury...

I can't give you much advice about Foils.

Rdb811
-20th April 2004, 13:58
Use a magnetic screwdriver (you can get a nice set from Muji) and a white flannel to catch the screws - makes things a bit easier.

Although I think epeeists have bigger ones.;)

Steve
-20th April 2004, 15:04
Originally posted by Rdb811

Although I think epeeists have bigger ones. [/B]

Nope the size of the grub screws only varies between german/LP/french tips.
I usually find that a bowl with a strong magnet underneath it keeps them in place;)

uk_45
-20th April 2004, 16:47
Originally posted by Rdb811

Although I think epeeists have bigger ones.;)

Hmm compensating for somthing are we??:tongue:

Demonic
-20th April 2004, 19:04
better than sabre that dont have any screws :tongue:

dunastor
-20th April 2004, 19:11
Originally posted by Demonic

That's called smart thinking....

nirvana
-20th April 2004, 20:08
If you dont have a magnetic screw driver then if you put a bit of vasilene on the end of ur scredwiver sticks nicely.

Steve
-20th April 2004, 20:09

And if they did i'm betting they'd be loose:tongue:

(Q the groans!)

bmadigan
-20th April 2004, 21:49
I keep a magnet around to stick the little parts to. If you just need to replace the tip and spring, you should not have much difficulty.
You would be better off not attempting to re-wire your blades without the proper stuff. (blades are pretty cheap, just get a new one..)

Don't take your weapon apart in your dirty kitchen, where the tiny screws you dropped are indescernable from the dirt/grains, etc on your floor. They are also likely to find their way into the sink or through the floorboards. I was able to find them after a few sweeps of the floor with a magnet, but this is just stupid, and I tend to behave this way at 3 in the morning when I can't figure out why this stupid weapon doesnt work.

PKT
-21st April 2004, 00:47

Sabreurs don't have screw-ups.
:tongue:

Aer,
to magnetise your screwdrivers, just rub the tip of the jeweller screw drivers on a magnet. Makes one's life a lot easier.

Do your screwing :tongue: work on a large surface. Make sure you have something for the screws to fall onto.
[watchmakers have a concave table so everything falls towards the centre...]

Don't do this on a small table with a shag carpet underneath...

PK

Hamley
-21st April 2004, 02:06
Someone in my club has a bowl that is made of magnets so u just drop the screw in it and ........ its in it. I never seen it but it seems pretty nifty and she said if i want to me a good amourer like her i would need to get one.... So i guess its really usefull.

Noah

oddball
-21st April 2004, 11:04
Ok, maybe its just something you have to do carefully.

Aer
-22nd April 2004, 00:40
the nice gofence guy helped me sort it out (cheap postage in scotland too :) )

i think thats it; i'll see if they work on fri

imported_sword_fixer
-23rd April 2004, 10:45
Aer, what website diagramare you refering to?

I would appreciate the link if you coul post it.

A lot of armourers have diferent methods. A nice shiny silver bowl magnet is ok, but so is a fridge magnet or a magnetic sheet stuck to your working area. I use a series of small magnets with old 2p pieces stuck on them. This allows me to work on several points at once without mixing the pieces up.

You can actualy buy some sticky wax to gon on the end of your screwdriver, but its less bother and more convinient to rub it on a magnet.

As for other tips, try here.
http://home.btconnect.com/FatclownFilms/foil_page.html
The site is in development but I would be interested in comments or suggestions you may make
c-wheeler@btclick.com

Aer
-25th April 2004, 01:00
gofence.com has a wiring diagram of the two types of points he sells.

the aftermath of my 1st foray into foil maintenance:

1 foil worked fine,
1 didn't, but i think that was a dodgy bayonet plug/foilwire problem, and will test again.

its either that or the barrel.

imported_sword_fixer
-26th April 2004, 09:10
Thanks Aer, I've not been on that website before. Goodluck with the second foil. Pardon my cheek, but do you ever go to competitions?

Aer
-26th April 2004, 09:46
just the scottish student circuit really: Teams, Beginners, Individuals, Club Comp.

nothing spectacular.

went to my first open in january - Scottish open

Neo
-11th October 2004, 02:40
Originally posted by Aer
Yikes, its rather small

that's what my ex gf said :confused:

Twohat
-12th October 2004, 23:21
I keep all my bits and pieces (screws, springs etc.) in a tobacco tin, and I have a small magnet stuck inside the lid.

When working on a tip, I place the lid under the tip so any bits that fall out get caught by the magnetic lid.

Another useful tip is to put the guard on a large roll of tape (duct tape is cool, and everyone should carry it) this makes it easier to place the tip where you want it without your sword rolling about.

imported_sword_fixer
-13th October 2004, 14:38
Some Italian points have grub screw threads half the size of LP ones:confused:

If you stick a fridge magnet in your tobacco tin and put your screwdiver on it as well, it gets nicely magnetised. Tip your new screws on top of on as well makes it easier again:)

Also the duct tape thing works with blade tape as well, and its easier to carry!

Neo
-13th October 2004, 14:40
Originally posted by sword_fixer
Some Italian points have grub screw threads half the size of LP ones:confused:

If you stick a fridge magnet in your tobacco tin and put your screwdiver on it as well, it gets nicely magnetised. Tip your new screws on top of on as well makes it easier again:)

Also the duct tape thing works with blade tape as well, and its easier to carry!

magnets also work well on floppy disks... removes all the excess magnetic interference :grin:

Tarmac
-13th October 2004, 14:47
my friend jim has invented (sourced) a product which he has dubbed Screwgrip - i always carry some with me at comps and was handing it out at Excalibur on his behalf.
its a waxy type of product and lasts for ages. you put a tiny bit on the tip of your screwdriver and it holds the screw there pretty damn well.
if you're interested i'll be at the leicester to give a demo - no doubt i'll lose a tip or two...
it really is a useful bit of kit

imported_sword_fixer
-13th October 2004, 15:01
Tarmac,
Thanks for the offer, but I allready have some. I think it works quite well for what it is, but when you are using your screwdriver all the time, it gets a bit fidly to constantly have to replenish the supply. For me a magnetised screwdriver is the best(and cheapest) solution