PDA

View Full Version : Universities of Manchester Mcdougall Sports Centre Farewell Competion

Leonardofury
-26th April 2004, 21:46
Next year the McDougall centre, the home of the Universities of Manchester fencing club is closing down. Therefore the club has decided to hold a competion to say farewell. The details are below

Venue McDougall Sports Center,
Burlington Street,
Manchester

Entry Fee 10

Last Check in Time Foil 10:30am
Epee 11:00am
Sabre 11:30am
All above are mixed and you can only enter one
catagory

Entries To Manchester Universities' Invite Tournement
6 Landcross Road
Fallowfield
Manchester
M14 6NA
Tel: 07980402974
email: umfencingclub@yahoo.co.uk

Closing date: 1st May 2004 (late entries by arrangement)

Other Details: We will need to borrow as many boxes spools and ground leads as we can get hold off really. Could a club representitive please email saying how many you can bring.

There will be an Allstar equipment stall. For advanced orders contact them at
Unit 1, Mid road
Prestonpans
East Lothian
EH329ER
Tel: 01875811255
Fax: 01875811880
email: sales@allstar-fencing.co.uk

Naimst
-26th April 2004, 21:57
er.......date?

Kepster
-26th April 2004, 23:10
It's on Saturday May 8th

Leonardofury
-26th April 2004, 23:33
Yep, sorry I missed that out the comp is on may 8th. And hello Kep

Cheetara
-27th April 2004, 11:38
It's a travesty that the McDougall centre is closing.

Leonardofury
-27th April 2004, 16:41
Why? It is getting old and APPARENTLY we are getting a brand new fencing salle. However I'd take that with a pinch of salt for the time being. If push comes to shove however there is an unused gym on top of the UMIST main building I'm sure that we could pinch.

Cheetara
-28th April 2004, 11:44
Before the combination UMIST fencing club used to fence in the activity room in the Sugden centre which is V hot and sweaty, you really don't want to move there. I'd be surprised if the armitage had room for you. The gym at the top of the main building would be ok though. Also you have so much cupboard space where you are. Much better than either uni club had before.

The Mcdougall centre is relatively light and airy and the staff were always nice and friendly and helpful too. The swimming pool there actually had space to swim in (unlike the commonwealth pool) and also I had my last undergraduate exam in the main gym.

Ex pres of the combined club

Aer
-28th April 2004, 11:51
whats the manchester uni club like?

I'm moving down to manchester/keele for my clinical in a couple of years.

Mantis
-28th April 2004, 11:56
Originally posted by Cheetara
Before the combination UMIST fencing club used to fence in the activity room in the Sugden centre which is V hot and sweaty, you really don't want to move there.

Also, if I remember correctly, it was just about large enough to fit a piste in diagonally.

We will be moving to the Sugden center (shock horror!) but they are (supposed to be) rebuilding and/or extending it to order, and part of that order is that fencing will be there.

NB, for any enquiries about the competition you can PM me.

Leonardofury
-28th April 2004, 14:48
Originally posted by Aer
whats the manchester uni club like?

I'm moving down to manchester/keele for my clinical in a couple of years.

Fairly good if slightly unenergetic. Epee tends to be the main weapon but we have foilists and sabrers as well.

Mantis
-28th April 2004, 15:18
Apparently the club in Manchester was first set up by medics from St. Andrews who were down for their clinicals. :grin:

Sl0th
-10th May 2004, 10:08
Hello

Please can someone tell me where the foil results are posted.

:fencingsm

Mantis
-10th May 2004, 10:15
Ah-ha! Someone from Liverpool! I sent out the results via email, but I don't have a contact address for Liverpool. PM me and I'll send them to you.