PDA

View Full Version : grub screws

Neo
-27th April 2004, 12:19
Anyone got any idea how to get a grub screw out if the thread for the screwdriver end has been totally mauled?

Demonic
-27th April 2004, 16:14
to be honest mate the best bet in my opinion is get a new point and rewire unless it can be wedged out however this will damage the tips thread..

srb
-27th April 2004, 16:19
You can try re-cutting a slot using a stanley knife. I have managed to do this before. Otherwise you will have to take off the complete barrel and rewire the blade, using a complete new barrel and point assembly.

The moral of the story, is to check your grub screws regularly, and if you fence foil, use at least two layers of cloth tape, and change it every couple of weeks.

srb

Neo
-27th April 2004, 16:23
I was gonna try a small piece of hacksaw blade to clear the thread (its ok on one side, but the other kind of flattened by a hit or that so the threads all screwed) but I was concerned that I might take a bit of the tip with it. Tried with a screwdriver, but its just making it worse/wrecking the screwdriver. I'm wondering if the tip will hold out if I leave it (died completely at Birmingham and stuck several times at the weekend)

any ideas how much a new tip/rewire will set me back? (Could do it myself, but for convenience I'll probably just take it in to LP or that)

actually come to think of it, I'd probably be best leaving it for now and taking it into LP seeing as they're probably rather used to this sort of thing (gonna have to go in for new screw anyways)

uk_45
-27th April 2004, 16:27
All the ways that really work best would result in damage to the barrel.

Neo
-27th April 2004, 16:40
problem solved. managed to get it to turn ever sufficiently enough that I could do the rest with needle nosed plyers. There's a couple marks around the hole now, but only a couple scratches.

Just need to check my nice stainless steel kitchen knife isn't completely wrecked now. (and the carpet ate the grub screw! :P)

Neo
-27th April 2004, 16:42
can't really see what was up with it, so I'm guessing a new spring may be in order too. Someone suggested a cotton bud around the inside, but I haven't got some so get to that later :P. Would a little touch of oil make it better or worse?

ps. aren't LP GT points supposed to be teflon coated underneath?

oddball
-27th April 2004, 17:03
Aha! Had to fix one of these @ the weekend!!

Use a penknife to scrape a new groove in the screw, and be paitient!!! When (or if) you get it out, replace it (obviously).

Hudson
-27th April 2004, 18:16
i wouldn't use oil. i find the cans of compressed air you can get for cleaning keyboards are good for cleaning down the barrels. just point and blow.

devalleassoc
-28th April 2004, 02:15
NO-o-o-o-o, no oil, dust and all sorts of c**p will just stick to it toally mucking up your point.

oddball
-28th April 2004, 11:41
Originally posted by Hudson
i wouldn't use oil. i find the cans of compressed air you can get for cleaning keyboards are good for cleaning down the barrels. just point and blow.

Where can you get them?

Rdb811
-28th April 2004, 11:54
Computer World and probably PC World or Staples.

imported_sword_fixer
-28th April 2004, 11:54
Dont us oil.Or wd40. Or silicon lubricant

If you can get it it's best to use an electrical contact cleaner and a cotton bud(available from Tescos ect by the 100 fo 39p)which dries without leaving a residue.

Or you can use Lynx, which is high in isopropyl alchohol and
1)Does the same
2)Smells ok
3)Is carried by most fencers in their kit.

Why did you not bring the stuck grub screw to an armourer at Birmingham? I regularly get asked to remove them, and if its not possible we can try drilling them out with a diamond tipped dental bit.

http://home.btconnect.com/FatclownFilms/foil_page.html

Neo
-28th April 2004, 12:16
Originally posted by sword_fixer
Dont us oil.Or wd40. Or silicon lubricant

If you can get it it's best to use an electrical contact cleaner and a cotton bud(available from Tescos ect by the 100 fo 39p)which dries without leaving a residue.

Or you can use Lynx, which is high in isopropyl alchohol and
1)Does the same
2)Smells ok
3)Is carried by most fencers in their kit.

Why did you not bring the stuck grub screw to an armourer at Birmingham? I regularly get asked to remove them, and if its not possible we can try drilling them out with a diamond tipped dental bit.

http://home.btconnect.com/FatclownFilms/foil_page.html

its only recently that I tried cleaning it, and then of course I noticed the screw was wrecked.

oddball
-29th April 2004, 11:42
Good, an excuse to get the stuff!
(My mum hates it)