PDA

View Full Version : Problem of 1 computer, several users.....

PM1
-27th April 2004, 23:40
Raised by Mum 2 happy hippos on Saturday in Warwick: she may be looking at the forum, but if she posts it comes up as 2HH - how does she solve this problem ?? She is fed up of being a Guest, and craves her own identity !!! The computer will not LET her create her own identity - or is that the forum's fault?? Gav - help needed, pliz - I have a friend in distress here.....

I don't have that problem - have my own computer.....sorry....:rolleyes:

frazzled
-27th April 2004, 23:52
The use needs to log out (at the bottom of the page).

Then the use can create a new user and post messages herself.

The computer uses cookies to remember who was last logged on and if you never log out, will open the forum using the last user and password.

frazzled
-27th April 2004, 23:55
I have found two places to log out.

1. Click on post reply. The line under the orange highlight gives the logged in user and the option to log out.

2. Go to the fencing forum homepage by clicking on Fencing Forum. The log out button is at the bottom of the page to the right beside "mark all forums read".

Hope this helps.

PM1
-28th April 2004, 00:01
Lord, you ARE clever.....will pm 2HH and tell her to tell her mum......:grin:

Gav
-28th April 2004, 08:17
Umm... I think tha Frazzled got in their first.

Gold Star for Frazzled!

frazzled
-28th April 2004, 13:05
Why, thank-you kindly:cool:

If only life were as easy .................

twohappyhippos
-28th April 2004, 16:43
goldstar to you all!!! well the whole two of you.....

some of us...mainly me and possibly my mother do not understand how these silly things work! - no mention of the hair colour hehe.

thankyou!!!!!!!

uk_45
-28th April 2004, 17:16
Also if your feeling very clever the forum use cookies to do the auto log in, now to stop this auto log in when the site is opening we can into internet option (under tools), click on privacy then at the bottom here there is a botton which says edit, type in http://fencingforum.com then click block this should stop any auto logins.

Mantis
-6th May 2004, 12:13
Bit slow in replying, I know, but I have only just discovered this.

If you use the Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) browser, which can be downloaded for free, you can add a 'Paranoia' button to the toolbar that will clear all information stored by the browser, such as passwords, cookies and history. To be able to add this button you need to install the xKiosk extension (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#xkiosk) first.

Of course, the solutions other people have given may do all you need already.

vil
-6th May 2004, 12:38
Another option, depending on what operating system you use, is to set up a second user on your computer. In general each user has their own collection of cookies, so would automatically be logged in as the appropriate person when visiting this forum.

If that sounds a bit too advanced, then the best advice is probably just to use the log out button on the forum, as others have suggested.

Neo
-11th May 2004, 19:31
Originally posted by Mantis
Bit slow in replying, I know, but I have only just discovered this.

If you use the Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) browser, which can be downloaded for free, you can add a 'Paranoia' button to the toolbar that will clear all information stored by the browser, such as passwords, cookies and history. To be able to add this button you need to install the xKiosk extension (http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#xkiosk) first.

Of course, the solutions other people have given may do all you need already.

You can do that with most browsers :)

My system secure deletes everything (registry entries/files related to browsing history and various other stuff) then spends 2-3 hours secure overwriting (9 pass 0 write..actually it was 9, I think I dropped it down to 6 cos it was taking too long) my hdd, every morning at 5am. :)

Neo
-11th May 2004, 19:33
Originally posted by uk_45
Also if your feeling very clever the forum use cookies to do the auto log in, now to stop this auto log in when the site is opening we can into internet option (under tools), click on privacy then at the bottom here there is a botton which says edit, type in http://fencingforum.com then click block this should stop any auto logins.

that will likely stop you logging in period.

Session keys can be passed in URL/hidden form fields too, but I don't see any here leading to the logical conclusion that if you block cookies no-one will be able to log in while they're blocked

gbm
-11th May 2004, 20:18
Go to User Control Panel. Go to Edit Options. Turn off "Automatically login when you return to the site". You will probably need to do this for each user.

I'm not sure what effect the next option, Browse Board with Cookies, would have; you probably want it on.

Neo
-11th May 2004, 20:21
ah just looked at the no cookies option - might work, but if you don't use the auto login there's not much benefit to be had in turning em off, also might make other sites that do require cookies cease to function properly

gbm
-11th May 2004, 20:22
This way a session cookie will keep you logged in while you are on the board, but when you quit there is no permanent cookie, so you have to log back in again.

Why go to the effort of preventing all cookies when you can just turn auto-login off?

gbm
-11th May 2004, 20:57
I didn't realise you had posted. I mean on this forum's user control panel... User CP at the top of the page.

uk_45
-11th May 2004, 22:07
I had to use it for a while trust me it does work and it only locks out the cookie for this site.

Neo
-11th May 2004, 23:38
Originally posted by uk_45
I had to use it for a while trust me it does work and it only locks out the cookie for this site.

actually come to think of it - I was thinking u said disable cookie. Still rather pointless tho - just use the forum feature instead.

wingnutLP
-12th May 2004, 08:26
Originally posted by Neo
You can do that with most browsers :)

My system secure deletes everything (registry entries/files related to browsing history and various other stuff) then spends 2-3 hours secure overwriting (9 pass 0 write..actually it was 9, I think I dropped it down to 6 cos it was taking too long) my hdd, every morning at 5am. :)

A touch of paranoia?!

gbm
-12th May 2004, 09:36
I suspect it will probably wear out your hard drive faster as well...

vil
-12th May 2004, 13:04
Originally posted by wingnut
A touch of paranoia?!

He must have lots to hide... ;)

gbm
-12th May 2004, 13:16
Well he is the forum perv!

Neo
-12th May 2004, 14:37
Originally posted by wingnut
A touch of paranoia?!

Hey, I haven't mentioned the encrypted loopback filesystem underneath yet ;)

Neo
-12th May 2004, 14:37
Originally posted by goodbadandme
I suspect it will probably wear out your hard drive faster as well...

no I won't. works the same as any other file access read/write/etc.

Neo
-12th May 2004, 14:39
Originally posted by vil
He must have lots to hide... ;)

On the contrary, I'm just a security geek :P

Partly its like our other thread - coming up with a system thats truly secure, but mainly... I'm just a geek :P

Peanut_UK
-12th May 2004, 15:06
Originally posted by Neo
no I won't. works the same as any other file access read/write/etc.

But there's only a finite number of them any HDD can handle before it buys the farm... but we are talking a fair number (http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/answerstips/story/0,24330,2314293,00.html) , so it's not really that important... What FS you using btw? Reiser?

Neo
-12th May 2004, 15:11
ewwwwwwwwww no I hate reiser (always used ext2 and ext3, but then I realise NSA security extensions in the new 2.6 kernel wouldn't work on reiserfs - I believe the new version of resierfs does, but the current version does not. I should note, I'm not running NSA SL extensions on here, but was trying em out on test box with a view to using em for customer box.)

Bear in mind I'm running xp on top of it :P

Doesn't matter, I'm rapidly running out of space, and do so every year or so, so before the hdd dies I'll need a bigger one anyways (only got 8GB free atm)

Peanut_UK
-12th May 2004, 15:13
Originally posted by Neo
Doesn't matter, I'm rapidly running out of space, and do so every year or so, so before the hdd dies I'll need a bigger one anyways (only got 8GB free atm)

Downloading too much of what you're trying to hide?! ;)

Neo
-12th May 2004, 15:16
Originally posted by Peanut_UK
Downloading too much of what you're trying to hide?! ;)

lmao. Well, I got 2000-3000 mp3 tracks, every friends episode ever made, around 30-40 South Park Episodes, 30-40 simpsons episodes (actually maybe slightly less), 30-40 Sex and the City Episodes and 50 odd movies. Does that answer the question of where my space has gone? :tongue:

actually, that movie number is wrong. its more like 20-30. (used to have more, but if I like it, I buy the DVD and delete the movie - no point keeping it then)

Oh and lots of goat pr0n :P (Just kidding!)

Neo
-12th May 2004, 15:21
eventually I want to seperate the linux machine and windows machine (instead of using virtual machines) and use one monitor/kb/mouse for the two, cos it is a bit of a performance hit, but I can't afford the hardware atm.

Peanut_UK
-12th May 2004, 15:24
I don't suppose by any chance you're running an FTP server are you?! ;)

Neo
-12th May 2004, 15:30
consider the amount of (almost paranoid) security I'm into, then ask yourself whether I would use a protocol that sends username/passwords in plaintext... ;)

Seriously though, as noted in another thread, I run a small ISP and even our servers don't run ftp (opting for scp or sftp instead). My fav is the idiots who run around the net going...

"Oh, you don't wanna use telnet... it's insecure, sends everything in plaintext, meaning it can be intercepted on the way.... but you can use ftp!" :P

Hell, even my chat sessions are piped over SSL :grin:

Neo
-12th May 2004, 15:34
Originally posted by Peanut_UK
But there's only a finite number of them any HDD can handle before it buys the farm... but we are talking a fair number (http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/answerstips/story/0,24330,2314293,00.html) , so it's not really that important... What FS you using btw? Reiser?

for the non-geeks amongst us, the ext3 v reiserfs debate is rather like the french v pistol grip debate in fencing.. (ext2 doesn't really count, since while its the de facto FS for linux its not journalling, unlike the other two) Each has its benefits and its really down to the individual which they prefer...

Peanut_UK
-12th May 2004, 15:35
Originally posted by Neo
consider the amount of (almost paranoid) security I'm into

"Taxi for Peanut...!"

Neo
-12th May 2004, 15:52
lol.

I should be studying!